The Green Hell Project

So, I'm swapping GTR2 out for rFactor 2. My controllers aren't the best and GTR2 was being SUPER sensitive to the point where cars were neigh uncontrollable. rFactor 2 might be a little better. Also, rFactor 2 has mod support. Also, also, GTR2's Nordshleife came from mods. Not ruling out mod tracks, but...it was the whole "I'm gonna have to buy a special controller just for GTR2 OR just use a keyboard" that ruled it out.

Editorials Part 3:

Out of the Gate:
Forza Motorsport 1

I want to compare Turn10 and Microsoft's first attempt at a racing simulator to Mass Effect 1. The story, voice acting and character development for ME1 was good, but the gameplay was pretty awful. FM1 is similar. I like the tracks and handling and cars, but...the difficulty right now is leaving much to be desired. It doesn't know if "medium" should be easy or just a smidge below impossible. Especially with the stock single make races. I've never understood it when everyone is in the same exact car and every car is stock how everyone accelerates faster than I do. We're all the same car and all stock, that really shouldn't be a thing.

I also, hate that the game punishes you for playing on easy. You can do it, but you give up like 50% of your earnings and that's a little harsh for the first outing of a sim. That's not accessibility, that's just bullying, really. I know people complain about how taking certain things off easy in FM7 doesn't boost your rewards and, I agree that's dumb. I think easy with every assist on should be the base and turning off things or having harder opponents should increase pay. Which is what most other Forzas did.

Also, the BAR menus. It's there in Forza 1. They got rid of it in Forza 3, but someone must of said "Nah, that's TOO organized. Let's go back to the clunky, horrible bar menus. But, it's okay 'cause we'll just do it by make and have drop down menus and add the ability to just jump to a certain make." FH4 kind of fixed it, but...I don't understand why Forza insists on them. It just means finding the vehicle you want a lot harder. I mean, Gran Turimso hasn't had the bar menu for a while now. They've used lists and GTS I think something that's pretty good with the ability to sort by several means and to view things in either a list or grid format. And groupings are always by grid. Most racers use the grid format. Although, AC uses the bar and PC uses a list. But...yeah, it's not that good in AC, either.

But, I feel that the main reason why Forza uses the bar is because of time constraints during development.

So, I think some of the unique tracks and cars helped sell Forza 1 and it...WAS improving up until about Forza 5 and then I think it REALLY started suffering from not enough development time. Hopefully with the state that Forza 7 was in and taking an extra 3 years to fix it, perhaps Microsoft will give FM8 more dev time. I mean, you gotta think that Gran Turismo has had like 5 years between the last few iterations of their games and even THAT doesn't seem like enough time.

Forza 1 as a good effort. Good enough to get many sequels. Like Mass Effect 1. And those sequels improved on the things that were bad in FM1.

So, I'm swapping GTR2 out for rFactor 2. My controllers aren't the best and GTR2 was being SUPER sensitive to the point where cars were neigh uncontrollable. rFactor 2 might be a little better. Also, rFactor 2 has mod support. Also, also, GTR2's Nordshleife came from mods. Not ruling out mod tracks, but...it was the whole "I'm gonna have to buy a special controller just for GTR2 OR just use a keyboard" that ruled it out.

Have you tried increasing steering speed sensitivity in the options? It reduces the steering input at higher speeds. I have mine set at 50-60% when I was still using keyboard and it was more than driveable. Also don't be shy to use aids. Give yourself some slack for using a keyboard ;)

GTR Evolution (which is the sequel to GTR2) has Nordschleife stock. If you don't want games that use mods that could be an option. IMO the physics is a bit dumbed down compared to GTR2 though.

Have you tried increasing steering speed sensitivity in the options? It reduces the steering input at higher speeds. I have mine set at 50-60% when I was still using keyboard and it was more than driveable. Also don't be shy to use aids. Give yourself some slack for using a keyboard ;)

GTR Evolution (which is the sequel to GTR2) has Nordschleife stock. If you don't want games that use mods that could be an option. IMO the physics is a bit dumbed down compared to GTR2 though.

Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out. I've been using a list from Giant Bomb for the games with Nordshleife, and it's not too accurate. Accurate enough, at least. But, GTR2 was more the game was kept trying to pull me into a wall because my controllers. I will have to try both of those options. Thanks again. Also, I'm using a PS4 controller for what I can on PC.

EDIT: I have GTR Evolution as part of Race 07.

You know what I wish...I wish rFactor 2 worked better. It constantly flickers and glitches...Also, there's no time trail mode, so doing the Nordschleife in it might take like twice as long. So, I think I'd rather put it on the back burner until they get it fixed. It's clear they're still working on it with a new track and the 2019 Vantage GT3. So, hopefully they'll at least fix the menu flickering. A time trial would just be a bonus, but I can always do a race with no cars.

Have you tried increasing steering speed sensitivity in the options? It reduces the steering input at higher speeds. I have mine set at 50-60% when I was still using keyboard and it was more than driveable. Also don't be shy to use aids. Give yourself some slack for using a keyboard
The same comment applies to Shift 2.

I'm taking a break from the Xbox 360 stuff 'cause...that wireless controller is murder on my hands. I can only play for like and hour or two. So I might try to track down a wired controller for it. So, I'm working on Race 07 and GTS now.

Status Update:

I picked up Forza 2, so I now own all of them. Forza 1 might end up getting done last since it has the most work to unlock all the vehicles. There's only 70 locked cars for Forza 2, and I'm debating just kind of running with that.

I got a new PS4 controller (Copper) and that seems to have fixed my problems with my PS2 emulator so I can get back to those games. Also, also, we're getting into the game release zone. I'm working on the Borderlands games, the 3rd of which releases in September along with Destiny 2's new expansion. October is Grid and Outer Worlds. Planet Zoo is in November. But, then I don't have anything I care about until February, so...I should be able to finish GTS, before the end of the year, but, we'll see.

I said once that the physics were gonna be the worst thing, but...I don't know, now. I think having to use the 360 controller is worse. I'm trying to avoid doing those. Might also get an emulator for them, but we'll see.

Editorial 3:

Change of Focus

So, this project is gonna be taking a serious back burner. I'll work on it during actual races, or maybe listening to a podcast on the weekends or something, but...My first passion is writing and I've been seriously neglecting it for a while now and I want THAT to be my main focus. So...yeah. Gonna work on that more. I'll still work on this from time to time, but don't expect a ton of updates. I might just move the main list to like Google Drive or a website or something and do updates there just so mods here to yell at me for reviving dead posts. So, this might be my last post here until I add a link to the new location to keep up with it. On the plus side, putting this in the back burner means it's gonna last a long long time. I mean there's nearly 8,000 cars now, and if I only do like maybe do 10 a week, that's gonna take me a few years and in those years, more games with more Nurburgrings and cars to run around it will be released.

Back