The Group C Club!

• Thread starter superfast
  • 298 comments
Cheetah G604 Driven By John Cooper, Claude Bourgoignie, Bernard de Dryver
lemans198524hph0213jh2.jpg

:)

Good idea.

Lets start by paying tribute to David Leslie who drove for Ecurie Ecosse. The team that ran the Aston Martin AMR1s and Fords in Group C.

And also to Richard Lloyd of RLR which ran some of the most unique Porsches.

May they both rest in peace.

Lets start by paying tribute to David Leslie who drove for Ecurie Ecosse. The team that ran the Aston Martin AMR1s and Fords in Group C.

Zakspeed ran the Ford C100s, Ecosse mostly ran C2 cars before the AMR1.

I worked on the AMR1 in the video. It does sound awesome. Its one of those sounds that you feel right in your gut.

jag1wr8.png

The Ford C100 and Porsche 956 were the first new Group C designs out in 1982. The C100 however was a failure and Ford quit after just the first season. Zakspeed kept it's design alive over the years by using it as the Zakspeed C1/4 and C1/8, before it became the basis of the Ford Mustang Probe GTP program in IMSA.

Some may remember one unique C100 which eventually became this:
supervan_2_track.jpg

Click below link for pics from the first Group C/GTP group test at Snetterton.

http://www.groupcracing.com/meets/12

The Aston Martin AMR1 that was raced last year by Cadena Motorsport will not be racing this year but will make an appearance at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Or so I was told. This may be subject to change at the drop of a hat.

No its an Argo JM20C Chevrolet. We had to share a garage with it at the Brands Hatch meeting last year. It doesn't seem to be particularly fast but that may be down to the fact that the driver is a "Gentleman Racer" just doing it for fun. Good guy though.

Yeh I can see that now. But the front of it is far more raked IRL than it looks here. And the dome is a lot narrower.

It was a GTP class car. They were built in Norfolk (UK).

Attachments

• Argo thing.jpg
    Argo thing.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 15
i am trying to find the gear ratios for a tso2o .i have been able to reach 357 mph is it possible to reach 400mph with thi car .any help would be appericated thanks

i am trying to find the gear ratios for a tso2o .i have been able to reach 357 mph is it possible to reach 400mph with thi car .any help would be appericated thanks

You are definitley posting in the wrong place!
Here
is what you are looking for! And read the first post thoroughly, please!

There's a nice article in Autosport magazine this week where racing driver Sam Hancock tests a Nissan R90CK, an RLR Porsche 962, a Spice SE90C and a Jaguar XJR-12.

Also there is news that a Sauber Mecrcedes C9 will be racing in the Group C/GTP championship this year. That will be very interesting.

Check out my pictures thread for some action from the group c race at le mans last weekend. I'll try and get some video up here too once I get them off my friend.

Edit - Here goes, it's not he best as I've only got the footag eof one of my friends cameras. This was from quali 2 but I should have more soon.

Nice! I simply love the sound of those machines!

One thing about them though; did enyone else notice how slow they were compared to the modern cars? The fastest Group C cars were like 25-30 seconds slower over one lap than the Peugeots, allthough they had 10-15 mph over the Peugeots in pure top speed.
That tells you something of the downforcelevels achieved today, even without groundeffect.
In fact, in terms of speed over one lap, the Group C cars are more on par with the GT1 cars.
How come? Is it due to the tyres mainly, or are the Group C cars simply not advanced enough in terms of aerodynamics?

They were easily the loudest things there all weekend. We missed first quali as we had not arrived that much before it started but we certainly knew when they went out on track.

One thing about them though; did enyone else notice how slow they were compared to the modern cars? The fastest Group C cars were like 25-30 seconds slower over one lap than the Peugeots, allthough they had 10-15 mph over the Peugeots in pure top speed.
That tells you something of the downforcelevels achieved today, even without groundeffect.
In fact, in terms of speed over one lap, the Group C cars are more on par with the GT1 cars.
How come? Is it due to the tyres mainly, or are the Group C cars simply not advanced enough in terms of aerodynamics?
wow I didn't notice they were ever that slow compared to modern cars.
I think it does reveal how far we have come in terms of downforce and other technology.
On the note of the sound:
God Damn those things sound so spectacular. I heard one guy almost went deaf while in a 787B.

Slow in the corners yes. I've just downloaded and watched the race. The Sauber was hitting the limiter in quali at 211mph. They lengthened the ratios for the race with it being able to go to 225!

There is all the mentioned facts as to why the Group Cs are quite slow nowadays. But you've also got to take into account that the cars are now worth millions of (insert appropriate currency) and many of the drivers don't drive them at full speed because they are afraid to crash them.

Group-C's ran TONS of downforce poor tires and were not the lightest weight racers compared to todays carbon creations. They were acceleration whores and made for smaller technical circuits like Laguna Seca.

They're also "historics", they're not meant to be run at full pace. Some drivers even mentioned that their cars were not set up for Le Mans, as I doubt the set up of the cars is changed often.

Group-C's ran TONS of downforce poor tires and were not the lightest weight racers compared to todays carbon creations. They were acceleration whores and made for smaller technical circuits like Laguna Seca.
Jul 01 2008 7:05 PM

Its true they weren't the lightest cars, they were all about the (metric) ton mark. And the amounts of downforce they produced nearly tripled that figure. I don't think they were designed for smaller circuits though. THE race was Le Mans. The cars were frequently seen sporting add on wings at the smaller circuits to provide more lower speed downforce indicating that their standard trim was for higher speed circuits. Either that or they did a Jaguar and built a different spec car with a different engine map and lower rear wing for the big race.

They're also "historics", they're not meant to be run at full pace. Some drivers even mentioned that their cars were not set up for Le Mans, as I doubt the set up of the cars is changed often.

Yeah its true the cars are set up and that is rarely changed. Some of the more enthusiastic teams in the series do change the set up from race to race but most of the racers are there to have fun and show off the cars more than anything else. Thats really what the series is about.

Back