The GT Sport Livery Editor Competion 46 (The Legend of Samba) - CLOSED

• Thread starter Cytoria
  • 140 comments

Just a very simple entry made for the pleasure, I think there's no more than 20 decals on it, but I couldn't let you play alone! :D

Hopefully it's not forbidden to do what I've just done. I know it won't be in the poll! :cheers:

Edit : it's loosely based on a Samba Bus made in the season 2 of "Pimp my Ride"! :D

MV5BM2Q4Y2VkNTItYmI3OC00MGY4LTk5OWItNGEwNzMxZmU0YTQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk5MjUwMzU@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1333,1000_AL_.jpg

Last edited:
I tried a few ideas for getting an entry together but nothing really turned out how I wanted it to turn out, so I‘ll stay away from this LEC :lol:
Maybe I‘ll change my mind again but that‘s it for now

FINAL ENTRY
InterCity Swallow

Link.

FINAL ENTRY
InterCity Swallow

Link.
As a user with a keen interest in railways and railway livery designs, I've always thought that out of all the vehicles in GT Sport, the Samba is the closest to resembling a train. One of my favourite liveries of any railway operator is British Rail's InterCity ‘Swallow’ livery from the late-1980s, which I first fondly remember seeing on 125 (High Speed Train) and 225 (Class 91 + Mark 4 carriage) sets when I was very young. Sometime last week, I began work on a replica of this livery using this decal from Discover, as I felt it would look especially nice on something as boxy and utilitarian as the Samba.

My intention at first was to make the livery in the style of a Class 91 locomotive, with full-width headlight surrounds, larger white sections on the roof and front doors as well as a lighter grey rear section also applied to carriages (photo below was taken by myself).

26042019 (LNER 91119).jpg

However, when I struggled to get the 'bonnet' decal layers to look right, I eventually chose to simplify the design with a black roof/window surrounds and stripes extending to the doors, while also taking out the grey section at the rear. This variant of 'Swallow' livery was applied to various other diesel and electric locomotives used by the InterCity sector; my main influence for the revision being the Class 86/87 variant with white lower bodies.

To create the illusion of having multiple 'InterCity' logos, duplicates of the above decal were placed along the bodysides, with different parts covered up by default shapes where needed. For added realism, extra roof decals representing an orange cantrail stripe and a custom SVG running number were added (I am aware that there was a real-life Class 46, but would like to stress that the number is strictly fictitious). While the front end still needed a lot of work to get it to look right, I think the end result is satisfactory enough considering how fickle the Samba is to work on.

Last edited:
I tried a few ideas for getting an entry together but nothing really turned out how I wanted it to turn out, so I‘ll stay away from this LEC :lol:
Maybe I‘ll change my mind again but that‘s it for now
Sad to hear that, hopefully you'll find a way to get something.
There's only 14 entries if I'm not wrong, I know some of them are stunning and maybe making you and some others feel the game isn't worthy but please share what you have. :)

@VulcanSpirit thanks for entering and for its meaning

Edit : @Adam Barber do what you feel you have to!

Last edited:
FINAL ENTRY
InterCity Swallow

Link.
I really like this :bowdown:

Since all my other attempts failed I quickly put this together because it was one of my first ideas which was then abandoned because @Adam Barber had the same idea and was faster with executing it :lol:
I'm also not really happy with this, but it's something I guess :D

Mate, I've had a different idea that should be awesome, also because I wasn't that happy with how mine turned out.

FINAL ENTRY
InterCity Swallow

Link.

JUST FOR FUN

The @VulcanSpirit Bulli is somewhat of a cool idea, that I decided to make a BR218 locomotive.

Baureihe_218_139-4.jpg
5764611928153424396_0.jpg
5774182083804038660_0.jpg
5918297264900572676_0.jpg

For those who don't know him, Elliott Smith was a singer/songwriter in the 1990s / early 2000s who killed himself in 2003 after suffering depression.
This design is based on the cover of his album Figure8 - there's a wall in Los Angeles with the swirly stripes which he used as the cover and it became a tribute wall after his passing.
The top has the lyrics to one of his more well-known songs Needle In The Hay, used in the Wes Anderson film The Royal Tenenbaums.

Did you follow the guides?
I did. I tried the White Sands location first, but couldn't get rid of the sand ripples on the ground. I watched the tutorial video a couple times. I'm pretty sure I was doing it right, but it just didn't look correct, so I switched locations. Sorry bout that. Just don't look at the trees. :lol:

Last edited:
Back