syntex123

Currently lurking!
Premium
Norway
Færder
syntex123
Syntex260Z
39587437090_c9a4a275ac_h.jpg

It's all in the details. These Falken Tire liveries may look the same, but if you look close you can spot many differences! This is the essence you have to catch in this round. Photo and livery made by @BLiTZ - (click for full-size)

This Fortnight's Theme
In case you forgot, the winner of round one of The Livery Editor Competition was @BLiTZ, and he has cooked up something really exciting for this third round. Without further ado, let's hear what he has to say:

From Impul's iconic Calsonic blue that's graced Nissans since the early 80's, to Martini's signature stripes dominating the world stage both on gravel and tarmac, there are certain liveries that stand the test of time.

Whilst on the surface the designs may look the same each year, when you look closely at the little details you see that they subtly evolve over time. Sponsors come and go and branding evolves so with that in mind, this round's theme is 'Then & Now'.

Your challenge is to create two distinct liveries demonstrating the evolution of a team's colours using one 'old' car and a second newer model.

Whilst its very easy to plaster the same decals on two different cars, the devil is in the detail with this one and the key is to try and make both liveries look period-correct. So take you time when choosing decals and select versions that are suitable for the age of the car.

CARS: Any; one 'old' and one 'new'
LIVERIES: Two distinct liveries demonstrating the evolution of an iconic design
USER MADE DECALS: Yes
LOCATIONS: Shiretoko (for your main images. This has to comply with the rules. See below)
SCAPES: Yes
1) Choose the Shiretoko scape (found by searching all locations and refining by 'Japan'and 'Snow'):

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180409183330.png

2) Apply the following settings:

Camera

Camera Settings

Aperture: F 2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/60 (as it's not a panning shot I don't know that this is important)
Focus: Single AF

Environment Settings
Aspect: 16:9
Orientation: Landscape
Resolution: High

Effects

White Balance
Temperature: 9800 K
Colour Cast Correction: -0.060
Exposure correction: EV +2.0

Special Effects
Chromatic Aberration: 5

Screen Effect 1
Mask: Background
Filter: None
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
Saturation: 0
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 250
Highlight: 100
Midpoint Correction: 100
Blackpoint Correction: -5

Car Effects
Filter: None
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
Saturation: 150
Brightness: 75
Contrast: 120
Highlight: 500
Midpoint Correction: 500
Blackpoint Correction: 0

3) Place your car in the middle of the scape at a suitable angle:

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180409183157.png

4) Zoom in to 102mm (certain cars may require more or less to fit in the viewfinder) and move the camera until you're happy that the car is centred in the shot:

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180409182942.png

5) Move the focus to the nearest corner of the car (I normally centre on the headlamp closest to the centre of the image) and take your shot.

6) For a shot of the rear, go back to the Car tab and hit R2, switch to Camera and refocus (again I use the tail lamp nearest the centre) and take the shot. If the car has moved off-centre then move the viewfinder and adjust the zoom as you see fit.

For new cars/liveries simply find the scape in your library and reopen and change the car, then rinse and repeat as above.

Images, GIFs, entry format and tutorial made by @BLiTZ
360° GIF: Optional (Please provide one for each livery)
UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS:
1. Must use one 'Old' and one 'New' model. The cars don't need to be from the same manufacturer or even the same class of racing so long as they aren't from the same year.

2. The liveries can be fantasy or real or a mixture of both (e.g. a replica of an old car and how it may look today if the team still existed or how a new team could have looked if they were racing in an earlier time).

Competition Rules

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this competition. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me.
  • The only way you can take part is to be a member of the GTPlanet forums. If you haven't created your account yet, click here.
  • It is recommended you host your image either here on GTPlanet (via the Media section), or on Flickr.
  • Not sure how to submit your image? Here's a guide for both methods mentioned above.
  • Preview images must not exceed 640 pixels in either direction.
  • A preview image must be representative of the full-size image. Do not add effects to it.
  • Please use a clickable-preview to full-size, not a separate text link for it;
    it makes poll creation much easier!
  • Mark your FINAL ENTRY clearly, with red text.
  • Unsure how to? Copy and paste the following:
Code:
[COLOR=red][B]FINAL ENTRY[/B][/COLOR]
  • You are required to use two ‘main’ photos, viewing the front and the back of the car, and if neccessary only one additional photo taken the way you want inside a spoiler.
  • No heavy post-game editing, slight enhancing is allowed.
  • One entry per user. It must be your own work, and never previously used in a comp.
  • Do not ask other users to choose your entry.
  • Absolutely no entries which utilize edited/hacked file saves.
  • You may change your entry once. Do it clearly; edit out your previous entry, and
    either post the new one in a new reply, or in place of the original.
  • Do not post "Honourable Mentions" or outtakes - just your Final Entry, that's all.
  • Winner gets to choose the following Fortnight's theme.
  • Winners cannot enter in their own theme!
  • The Host may ask for the original image/livery and it must be submitted if so.
  • It's recommended to share the original livery online(in-game) to prove it’s your work.
  • Unique to this competition, you can also make a 360° GIF! It is not a requirement, but it is recommended.
    Go to giphy.com
    and upload your clip (In GT Sport go to My Library > Car Livery > Press your livery and then hit Preview. Record a full 360° spin and then speed up the recording to 15 seconds in a video editing program on your PC/Phone/Tablet. See example in spoiler at the bottom of the post how it should look.

First of all, download and install Blender. I used 2.78 for this tutorial but the current one at this time, 2.79a, shouldn't be any different.

Open Blender up and you should see a screen like this (minus all the recent files because you haven't used it yet)
    lh8JMRS.png

Currently, it's in its Default mode, for 3D modelling. We'll need to change it to the Video Editing mode.
    If you go up to the top where it says 'Default', click on the button outlined in red to choose the Screen layout...
    C9i4iSE.png

... and click on Video Editing...
    SsIOWSQ.png

... and you should now be greeted with something like this.
    XvXUZTe.png

First things first, go down to the bottom, where it says Add. Click on that and click on Movie.
    avmEeU6.png

Locate and select your recorded clip on your USB or wherever you've placed it. Click Add Movie Strip...
    OdcEdmv.png

... and you should now see, along the lower section of the screen called the Video Sequence Editor, two bars. The darkish blue coloured one is the video, the teal coloured on is the audio. Don't worry about the audio, we don't need to mess with it.

Press the Home button while your mouse cursor is in the Video Sequence Editor to see the whole sequence.

Next you'll need to change both of the values, outlined in red, to 450. The left value is the end limit of the number of frames your final video will have, and the right value is the cursor point (the green thing that says 15+00)
    72a9Hin.png

The reason why is because the 450th frame on this current project, running at roughly 30fps, would equate to 15 seconds.

Now to speed our clip up to fit those 15 seconds. Go into Add, the Effect Strip, then select Speed Control.
    AlbPSvh.png

Right-click on the pink Speed strip, then go over to the sidebar on the right. Scroll down until you see the tab named Effect Strip and Untick 'Stretch to input strip length'.
    Now for a bit of Maths, you'll see in the image below that my Speed factor is 1.200...
    XZdQcVX.png

This is worked out by dividing the total number of frames of your clip, found on the end of your bar label (540 in my case)...
    Jqa9QJO.png

by the total number of frames we need (450). 540 / 450 = 1.2 so I put 1.2.

Now the clip has been sped up, press Play on the bottom to check to see if your clip runs and loops properly in the top right. You might see a fps counter pop up and slow down as you play but don't worry about that.

Now to export the new clip, go to the top left screen part, click on the square box with an image inside and select Properties...
    SlDjmAI.png

... which will change that screen part to this.
    RC4JAfz.png

We need to set up the export options and encoding before we export. Scroll down until you see the Output tab and select MPEG, then the Encoding tab will pop up. Open the Encoding tab and make sure you have the Format as MPEG-4, the Codec as H.264 and the Audio as AAC.
    TOdl2DM.png

Right, scroll back up to the top and hit the Animation button, under Render...
    tZ8Lcpb.png

... and you should now see Blender playing through your video and rendering it.
    mRiucWd.png

Once it is done, open File Explorer, go into your C:\ drive and open up the 'tmp' folder, there you should see your new video. It'll probably be named '001-450.mp4' or something.
    Drag that video into GIPHY, set the duration to 15 seconds and click through the rest and there you go.
    Deadline

April 25, 2018

FINAL ENTRY

vsCyqYHl.jpg
    7faWuegl.jpg

PF8gtzhl.jpg
    aeGeK9Rl.jpg

falken-n1-91-ver-1-02-gif.728128
    falken-super-gt-ver-1-02-sm-gif.728129

Fortnight = 14 days, not the game.

Last edited:
ohh, this one is a challenge ^^ for me at least, will see what I chose, there are some ideas already going through my mind ^^

Good luck y'all fellow atrists ^^

I'm pretty sure about what I will enter too, I'll have something up tomorrow or the day after! ;)

Good luck!

I have a stupid question, As usual, What If PD already made one of the liveries do we need to remake it or not?, I assume yes.

I guess I'll start! I decided to do a fantasy one, but it's a classic so it had to happen.

FINAL ENTRY

Gran Turismo Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II and Gran Turismo Ford GT40 LM Race Car Mark I

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

It wasn't easy, I almost decided to make my own PD and GT decals that looked old, but since they were the main sponsors if you will, I didn't dare to touch them in case I messed it up.
Some decals look the same even after fifty years, so I chose to leave them as is. I realize Bosch used the same logo back then, but I went for an older one just because it looked better to me.
The helmet logo is also different; I went with Buco helmets instead of the popular Bell because the logo looked similar to the Arai one.
If you look close on the names, they'll bring some unexpected history too, I went with the winner of 1966, Bruce McLaren, but I did not choose his teammate. Instead I went with the British guy who came in on second place, Ken Miles. (only to have two different flags, I swear that's the only reason. :lol:)

Last edited:
I guess I'll start! I decided to do a fantasy one, but it's a classic so it had to happen.

FINAL ENTRY

Gran Turismo Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II and Gran Turismo Ford GT40 LM Race Car Mark I

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

It wasn't easy, I almost decided to make my own PD and GT decals that looked old, but since they were the main sponsors if you will, I didn't dare to touch them in case I messed it up.
Some decals look the same even after fifty years, so I chose to leave them as is. I realize Bosch used the same logo back then, but I went for an older one just because it looked better to me.
The helmet logo is also different; I went with Buco helmets instead of the popular Bell because the logo looked similar to the Arai one.
If you look close on the names, they'll bring some unexpected history too, I went with the winner of 1966, Bruce McLaren, but I did not choose his teammate. Instead I went with the British guy who came in on second place, Ken Miles. (only to have two different flags, I swear that's the only reason. :lol:)
Great effort! I love the clever use of the Firestone logo in place of the GT shield!

Great effort! I love the clever use of the Firestone logo in place of the GT shield!
Thanks! I know right? It just made all the sense in the world to me. :lol: :cheers:

FINAL ENTRY

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This was actually an idea that came to my mind, but using the Gulf original livery for the GT40 and the GT LM Race Car spec 1 from GT4 :D

Looks amazing, a great work indeed. This contest is going to be great fun :)

This was actually an idea that came to my mind, but using the Gulf original livery for the GT40 and the GT LM Race Car spec 1 from GT4 :D

Looks amazing, a great work indeed. This contest is going to be great fun :)
I thought about that as well :lol: but the one I ended up doing was iconic in a traditional GT way so I just had to. :D

Thank you! Wish I put more effort into making the GT decals older though, but I met my limits! The GT Auto one too, could opt in for another one, but I wanted to keep it legit to the original so I only did a light ‘vintage’ swap on the other ones. :)

Oh yes I expect to see many awesome liveries in the days to come!

I thought about that as well :lol: but the one I ended up doing was iconic in a traditional GT way so I just had to. :D

Thank you! Wish I put more effort into making the GT decals older though, but I met my limits! The GT Auto one too, could opt in for another one, but I wanted to keep it legit to the original so I only did a light ‘vintage’ swap on the other ones. :)

Oh yes I expect to see many awesome liveries in the days to come!
If it was me, I'd have left some of the newer GT brand decals out as they may not have existed in the day.

For example GT Auto is a new store that opened in the 2000's. The beauty with retro liveries from the 60's/70's is that they're quite minimalist compared to modern day stickerfests so you can get away with the whole less is more thing.

Can't wait to see what others come up with. Wonder if anyone will go down the route of an F-1500T vs RedBull X2010 face off?!

If it was me, I'd have left some of the newer GT brand decals out as they may not have existed in the day.

For example GT Auto is a new store that opened in the 2000's. The beauty with retro liveries from the 60's/70's is that they're quite minimalist compared to modern day stickerfests so you can get away with the whole less is more thing.

Can't wait to see what others come up with. Wonder if anyone will go down the route of an F-1500T vs RedBull X2010 face off?!

True that! I almost did. But since the livery is fictional I wanted to keep them in to keep the essence of Gran Turismo since the original was a PD creation, if you know what I mean. :)

That face off would be epic. I really hope someone will! :D

Personally I think that the most important thing about fictional livery is realism, so I agree with Blitz.
I think to me will be very fun to paint an original (or fictional if you prefer the terms) livery about a new version of an older classic livery, but all my ideas are crashing against the fact that I don't have the right old car in the game for made the livery.

..right..

I have an interesting idea for this. By "interesting", I mean "could be considered cheating" and "don't worry, I have other, less interesting ideas too".
Do bring those ideas to light, no cheating! ;)

Do bring those ideas to light, no cheating! ;)

Okay, uhh..

..the one I've got in mind right now involves a game that blurs the definition of "period correct" somewhat badly. In a sort of Schrodinger's Timeline most-things-are-period-correct-for-all-periods kind of way.

That's about all I can say without getting too specific.

Okay, uhh..

..the one I've got in mind right now involves a game that blurs the definition of "period correct" somewhat badly. In a sort of Schrodinger's Timeline most-things-are-period-correct-for-all-periods kind of way.

That's about all I can say without getting too specific.

Confused :D it might work though, if you decide to go for it you always have the chance to change your entry once if it turns out not following the rules. Sounds interesting though. :)

Wonder if anyone will go down the route of an F-1500T vs RedBull X2010 face off?!

This is one route I’ll explore, but I’m not 100% decided yet.

I’m sure we will some really interesting things in this thread. My only drawback will be with one of the rules : since with this theme the devil is in the details, limiting the bonus pic to only one might be frustrating ! But I also thanks @BLiTZ for sharing the recipe of his awesome showcase pics ;).

My only drawback will be with one of the rules : since with this theme the devil is in the details, limiting the bonus pic to only one might be frustrating ! But I also thanks @BLiTZ for sharing the recipe of his awesome showcase pics ;).
I'm sorry! But making the poll takes a lot of time, and having to flip through a lot of pictures that may or may not be unneccessary is time I'd rather save for other stuff. Last round was limited to only two, but several people added plenty more, and I'm pretty sure 99% of them don't agree to which two I chose to add in the spoiler. I hate to be a bad guy, I'd love to let you decide what to do but I needed to set some ground rules. If it's really necessary I'll think about letting you showcase a livery in a youtube video in the future, but that could make the thread unbrowsable in the end, have you seen those picture/video heavy threads? They won't load properly 99% of the time :lol:

Yeah I thank him too, I just had to ask him if he was willing to share it; they looked so professional and I knew instantly when I saw his amazing "S2000 NSX" that this would be a proper way to showcase the livery with no distraction. So hats off to @BLiTZ, who shaped a great entry format :D

Where is that instruction to the scapes shot shared? Must‘ve overseen it :nervous:

It is very visible though, or so I thought :lol: I said it in the last round, reread the rules, because there will be changes :lol:👍

Yeah sure, I‘d also like a pizza and some anime tiddies :dopey:
I can do a good veggie pizza that will blow you away ;) no seriously, I can. Norwegian pizzas aren’t really made the way you think, and the way I make mine it tastes like a normal pizza with meat. Ask my brother in-law. He didn’t taste the difference. :lol:

Anyway. Back on topic ;)

I fear after my original idea went down the tubes I may have now gone too far the other direction and may be thinking a little too outside the box now, Without wanting to give too much away Ferrari's N.A.R.T is now defunct and now I believe AF Corse is sort of in the place that N.A.R.T would be had they stayed in business, So my question would be if a N.A.R.T (Past) and AF Corse (Present) would be allowed together or not, I tried to go with sort of the main associated racing team, But well I wanted to check how far within/outside the rules this would be before making the second livery.

I fear after my original idea went down the tubes I may have now gone too far the other direction and may be thinking a little too outside the box now, Without wanting to give too much away Ferrari's N.A.R.T is now defunct and now I believe AF Corse is sort of in the place that N.A.R.T would be had they stayed in business, So my question would be if a N.A.R.T (Past) and AF Corse (Present) would be allowed together or not, I tried to go with sort of the main associated racing team, But well I wanted to check how far within/outside the rules this would be before making the second livery.
I don't know enough about Ferrari to say anything, and I since @BLiTZ is the master of this round I think this question is for him to answer. :D In theory it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't want to say anything in case Blitzy has another opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back