Not open for further replies.

syntex123

Currently lurking!
Premium
Norway
Færder
syntex123
Syntex260Z

No Sponsors… or put another way… Art Cars! Image and liveries by @MatskiMonk . - (click for full-size)

This Fortnight's Theme
This livery competition is about being creative, the car is the canvas, it's not a rolling advertisement! Be sure to read on before entering:

Sure, we all like our race car liveries, be they replica or original, but some of the most intriguing designs ever put on cars are not there to promote goods or services, they are an expression of an idea, a concept or a feeling.

Real art cars are wide ranging in their design and motivation. To give you a few ideas; An abstract representation of a meaningful place, thing or person. A literal message, an expression of an artistic style (it could be Graffitti - it could be Monet!). It could be a representation of an action, emotion or feeling. It could be motivated by visual styles in nature or architecture, it could emphasize the nature of the car itself… it could just be all out trip fest of psychedelia…

There’s no right or wrong, but it really helps if there is a story behind it - and it would be great if these were posted too.

Just to be clear, (with the small exception below), sponsor decals, company decals, brand decals, character decals, band logos etc etc are prohibited.

CARS:
Any
LIVERIES: No replica's, must be original
USER MADE DECALS: Yes (subject to the spirit of the theme!)
LOCATIONS: Shiretoko for the main pics
1) Choose the Shiretoko scape (found by searching all locations and refining by 'Japan'and 'Snow'):

View attachment 729370

2) Apply the following settings:

Camera

Camera Settings

Aperture: F 2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/60 (as it's not a panning shot I don't know that this is important)
Focus: Single AF

Environment Settings
Aspect: 16:9
Orientation: Landscape
Resolution: High

Effects

White Balance
Temperature: 9800 K
Colour Cast Correction: -0.060
Exposure correction: EV +2.0

Special Effects
Chromatic Aberration: 5

Screen Effect 1
Mask: Background
Filter: None
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
Saturation: 0
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 250
Highlight: 100
Midpoint Correction: 100
Blackpoint Correction: -5

Car Effects
Filter: None
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
Saturation: 150
Brightness: 75
Contrast: 120
Highlight: 500
Midpoint Correction: 500
Blackpoint Correction: 0

3) Place your car in the middle of the scape at a suitable angle:

View attachment 729371

4) Zoom in to 102mm (certain cars may require more or less to fit in the viewfinder) and move the camera until you're happy that the car is centred in the shot:

View attachment 729372

5) Move the focus to the nearest corner of the car (I normally centre on the headlamp closest to the centre of the image) and take your shot.

6) For a shot of the rear, go back to the Car tab and hit R2, switch to Camera and refocus (again I use the tail lamp nearest the centre) and take the shot. If the car has moved off-centre then move the viewfinder and adjust the zoom as you see fit.

For new cars/liveries simply find the scape in your library and reopen and change the car, then rinse and repeat as above.

Images, GIFs, entry format and tutorial made by @BLiTZ
360° GIF: Optional
UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS:
1. Replicas of existing art cars are not allowed, this is YOUR expression, not anyone else’s.

2. To allow for choice and authenticity, if you're imagining you car as a racing car, a number panel maybe used and a maximum of two different SMALL technical partner decals can be used. For example; a Tyre supplier, and Brake Supplier, or Suspension company and fuel company for example. These can be duplicated to either side of the car, or wing end plates etc. as appropriate. These should not form part of the design itself.

3. If you can, explain your motivation or what the livery represents to you.

4. Sponsor decals, company decals, brand decals, character decals, band logos etc etc are prohibited.

To get people in the mood... here are some examples of other peoples stuff...
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/my-library/all/livery/1069126/1/5908794190783874576
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/my-library/all/livery/5366599/1/6917547794586698777
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/my-library/all/livery/2026405/1/8151598970574996480
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/my-library/all/livery/3073035/1/5774261235263472649
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/my-library/all/livery/3629939/1/7134264764156347921
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/my-library/all/livery/3539648/1/4828421826277312009

Competition Rules

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this competition. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me.
  • The only way you can take part is to be a member of the GTPlanet forums. If you haven't created your account yet, click here.
  • It is recommended you host your image either here on GTPlanet (via the Media section), or on Flickr.
  • Not sure how to submit your image? Here's a guide for both methods mentioned above.
  • Preview images must not exceed 640 pixels in either direction.
  • A preview image must be representative of the full-size image. Do not add effects to it.
  • Please use a clickable-preview to full-size, not a separate text link for it;
    it makes poll creation much easier!
  • Mark your FINAL ENTRY clearly, with red text.
  • Unsure how to? Copy and paste the following:
Code:
[COLOR=red][B]FINAL ENTRY[/B][/COLOR]
  • You are required to use two ‘main’ photos, viewing the front and the back of the car. You can post one additional photo inside a spoiler.
  • No heavy post-game editing, slight enhancing is allowed.
  • One entry per user. It must be your own work, and never previously used in a comp.
  • Do not ask other users to choose your entry.
  • Absolutely no entries which utilize edited/hacked file saves.
  • You may change your entry once. Do it clearly; edit out your previous entry, and
    either post the new one in a new reply, or in place of the original.
  • Do not post "Honourable Mentions" or outtakes - just your Final Entry, that's all.
  • Winner gets to choose the following Fortnight's theme.
  • Winners cannot enter in their own theme!
  • The Host may ask for the original image/livery and it must be submitted if so.
  • It's recommended to share the original livery online(in-game) to prove it’s your work.
  • Unique to this competition, you can also make a 360° GIF! It is not a requirement anymore, since we moved on to standardized entries.
Deadline

June 6, 2018 (midnight, CEST/GMT+2)

I knew it :ouch:
I have 0 idea what to do, I‘m awfully bad at anything involving fantasy or imagination :scared: Maybe I should just enter a black car as darkness resembles my future :lol:

Hey, if you wanna use that as a starting point, why not, see what flows from there... 👍:D

I thought a lot about whether to offer this as a theme or not, but I figured it'd be a chance for people to experiment with something a little different just in case they were sick of staring at company logos all the time!

My bet is there will be more than 3 Samba Busses at the deadline ^^
It will be interesting to see if you were right. The Sambabus is indeed quite popular in the game, but very poorly represented here in the forum.

Great theme. I need to decide if I deliberately use the BMW VGT as tribute to you, @MatskiMonk, or if I go in a very different way !

This is definitely going to be hard for me, art has never been my thing. Not sure I'll submit this time, sorry :( unless I get inspired for whatever reason by something xD

Cool this is like an open book but now to find an idea and car choice, options options.

Ok, so just want to clarify... if I was making an R18 livery, for example. I could use two small Michelin sponsors on the sides by the wheels... but could you also use the Audi logo on the nose (the rings) and then the Audi Sport logo on the back of the rear wing?

Ok, so just want to clarify... if I was making an R18 livery, for example. I could use two small Michelin sponsors on the sides by the wheels... but could you also use the Audi logo on the nose (the rings) and then the Audi Sport logo on the back of the rear wing?
Michelin yes. The others no. That’s how I interpret the rules anyway.

Michelin yes. The others no. That’s how I interpret the rules anyway.

As Syntex says, that wouldn't be in the spirit of the rules. You can pick two brands that could realistically be considered technical partners, whose logos might be mandatory for example (Michelin would be a good example), but additional Audi branding on an Audi car is simply self promotion. Of the two you pick, you can reuse them on the car in appropriate places... i.e. on the wheel arches, wing end plates, sill area, splitters etc... BUT if Bibendum ends up being the main feature of your livery, it's simply then a Michelin Sponsored car, which isn't the theme.

This is definitely going to be hard for me, art has never been my thing. Not sure I'll submit this time, sorry :( unless I get inspired for whatever reason by something xD

Don't think of it like you're setting out to create something that is art, think of it like you're setting out to create something that means something to you. Not like, I love Fords so I wanna do something about Ford, but more, I live in Turin - I wake up every morning and look at the Alps and it's beautiful, so I wanna represent that.

edit: Sorry, double post.

Don't think of it like you're setting out to create something that is art, think of it like you're setting out to create something that means something to you. Not like, I love Fords so I wanna do something about Ford, but more, I live in Turin - I wake up every morning and look at the Alps and it's beautiful, so I wanna represent that.

edit: Sorry, double post.
That is indeed art, as art is not just a Matisse painting. I'm really, really bad at imagining things and representing them on a canvas, it's always been my only bad grade in my school record :lol:

But, I'll see if some inspiration comes my way.

That is indeed art, as art is not just a Matisse painting. I'm really, really bad at imagining things and representing them on a canvas, it's always been my only bad grade in my school record :lol:

But, I'll see if some inspiration comes my way.

Fair enough 👍

This isn't just shameless thread plugging, but In my artcar thread I've tried to explain in simple terms what each of the BMW art cars was supposed to represent... might give you some inspiration

Directory
Matski's BMW Art Car project
- 01 Alexander Calder CSL, 1975
- 02 Frank Stella CSL, 1976
- 06 Robert Rauschenberg 635CSi, 1986
- 08 Ken Done Group A E30 M3, 1989
- 10 Cesar Manrique E32 730i, 1990
- 11 A.R. Penck Z1, 1991
- 12 Esther Mahlangu 525i, 1991
- 15 Jenny Holzer V12 LMR, 1999
- 17 Jeff Koons M3 GT2, 2010
- 19 John Balderssari M6 GTLM, 2016

As Syntex says, that wouldn't be in the spirit of the rules. You can pick two brands that could realistically be considered technical partners, whose logos might be mandatory for example (Michelin would be a good example), but additional Audi branding on an Audi car is simply self promotion. Of the two you pick, you can reuse them on the car in appropriate places... i.e. on the wheel arches, wing end plates, sill area, splitters etc... BUT if Bibendum ends up being the main feature of your livery, it's simply then a Michelin Sponsored car, which isn't the theme.

Yeah I just wanted clarification, I think Audi branding on an Audi car could, in theory be a technical partnership... and the logo's (the 4 hoops for example on the bonnet) wouldn't dominate the car really... but yeah

Yeah I just wanted clarification, I think Audi branding on an Audi car could, in theory be a technical partnership... and the logo's (the 4 hoops for example on the bonnet) wouldn't dominate the car really... but yeah
I see your point, but there already is four hoops on the hood on most (if not all) Audis ;)

Fair enough 👍

This isn't just shameless thread plugging, but In my artcar thread I've tried to explain in simple terms what each of the BMW art cars was supposed to represent... might give you some inspiration

Directory
Matski's BMW Art Car project
- 01 Alexander Calder CSL, 1975
- 02 Frank Stella CSL, 1976
- 06 Robert Rauschenberg 635CSi, 1986
- 08 Ken Done Group A E30 M3, 1989
- 10 Cesar Manrique E32 730i, 1990
- 11 A.R. Penck Z1, 1991
- 12 Esther Mahlangu 525i, 1991
- 15 Jenny Holzer V12 LMR, 1999
- 17 Jeff Koons M3 GT2, 2010
- 19 John Balderssari M6 GTLM, 2016
That is exactly why I fail miserably at "art": I struggle to grasp the meaning behing it, I'm one of those people that look at a Pollock and say "meh, what the heck is this?", I can't express anything via art.

The theme is good, I know we will see a lot of great entries (and Samba Buses xD), it's just something that I cannot do. I don't want to throw a bunch of shapes on a car and say it is an art car, because it wouldn't be, it would be the entry of an artless soul :D so my best of luck to everyone, but 90% sure this fortnight I'll just be a spectator. :)

Oh really? Look on the nose and tell me they don't have hoops. ;)
gOwh6gc.jpg

No hoops.

Final Entry
CFD Viper GT3R

At first glance this livery may well look like a heap of pretty colours in a random pattern faded through gradients... it’s not.

I struggled hard for ideas for this assignment. Without a sponsor, what colours do I use? What shapes or stripes can I create? Not having access to a PC to make custom decals killed most my best ideas immediately. Definitely a challenging topic this time around.

What I settled on was a CFD (computational fluid dynamics) inspired livery. CFD is very commonly used nowadays in lieu of wind tunnel time. One type of image it can create is a 3D pressure map, showing what areas of a car produce low (blue) and high (red) pressure. I came across this type of image while designing the Time Attack bodykit for our 300c Time Attack car around 12 months ago and always thought that pressure zones was a very unique way to look at a car.

For the livery I used what I know about aero to estimate the pressure gradients. Working with such a variety of colours and gradients was far from my comfort zone but gradual tweaking eventually got the look I wanted. I chose to highlight all areas that evacuate air with CFd styled flowlines; to show the aerodynamic importance of getting air out and away from a race car.

A tricky livery, complex concept that was made for a challenging theme. If a car’s interaction with the air isn’t art though; I don’t know what is :)
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/livery/2320572/1/6206620002309636609

Last edited:
Final Entry
CFD Viper GT3R

At first glance this livery may well look like a heap of pretty colours in a random pattern faded through gradients... it’s not.

I struggled hard for ideas for this assignment. Without a sponsor, what colours do I use? What shapes or stripes can I create? Not having access to a PC to make custom decals killed most my best ideas immediately. Definitely a challenging topic this time around.

What I settled on was a CFD (computational fluid dynamics) inspired livery. CFD is very commonly used nowadays in lieu of wind tunnel time. One type of image it can create is a 3D pressure map, showing what areas of a car produce low (blue) and high (red) pressure. I came across this type of image while designing the Time Attack bodykit for our 300c Time Attack car around 12 months ago and always thought that pressure zones was a very unique way to look at a car.

For the livery I used what I know about aero to estimate the pressure gradients. Working with such a variety of colours and gradients was far from my comfort zone but gradual tweaking eventually got the look I wanted. I chose to highlight all areas that evacuate air with CFd styled flowlines; to show the aerodynamic importance of getting air out and away from a race car.

A tricky livery, complex concept that was made for a challenging theme. If a car’s interaction with the air isn’t art though; I don’t know what is :)
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/livery/2320572/1/6206620002309636609

Good work. 👍 Very much in the spirit of things, and a great example where knowing the explanation of it makes looking at it much more interesting.

.. I'm just glad the them got at least one entry :lol:

Can we use real art as inspiration?

So long as it's put together in a way that makes it somewhat original on the car, that's fine. Simply draping a decal of Van Goch's Sunflowers over the car wouldn't be that inspired, but mimicking an artists style is fine - as @JKcreativeworks says... these days it would be hard not to!

Rauschenberg pretty much ripped off other artists to decorate his art car... what made it more innovative for the time was the techniques used (couldn't just vinyl wrap things in those days). The contrasts in the colour, and the classic and the modern were also relevant... so it's really about the motivation behind what art you're inspired by and why you apply it the way you do..

105099_La_collection_BMW_Art_Car_aux_jeux_olympiques_de_Londres.jpg

Okay, here I am, with my piece - I kept it really simple and description doesn't need many words either

FINAL ENTRY

This piece is called The Speed of Light and there is nothing much to say about, maybe just as when approaching the ultimate speed, we get the tunnel vision, on this car represented with all those colorful lines.

My first thought was to make the effect from the tip of the nose, but from front projection there was an issue with decals not reaching the very end of the car. Therefore I moved the main focus to the cockpit.

Technique I used was really simple, made a 10% opaque 40-point star svg with some distortion, arranged it on the car, colored it, rotated a bit, recolored, flipped horizontally/vertically and repeated it 7-8x, with different colors. As base color I used BPP color shift, with 7x applied 10% opaque rectangle colored black to get a bit darker base.

Not sure about the logos/texts thing, but I added the fictive Speed of Light logo on the wing, but if it is not allowed, I can remove it as per one entry change allowed. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back