The GT Sport Livery Editor Competition 13 - CLOSED

• Thread starter syntex123
  • 375 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood why people did this in GT5(and 6?).

I actually helped show a large majority of people do the modding and it just spiralled from there. When the original vids came out and i heard it was hex editing, I got straight to it!

So, Sorry not sorry?

It brought realistic engine swaps and fitment to drift cars etc that was desperately wanted! 4 rotor FD, 2JZ s15 etc. it was the highlight of GT5 other than forming an unbelievable friendship with some great people all over the uk who I've met a plenty and talk to every day! But the hybriding spurred that friendship on!

I got a few telling off's for accidentally mentioning it in the drift forum of how to do it etc but I quickly learned. That's what has, unfortunately, spurred this online save that everyone hates so much.

I decided to edit my entry a few days ago. I can see from what's been entered, that this still has no chance of winning. But I'm proud of it so I'm going to post it anyway. I used a carbon fiber decal, along with a faded line to replicate the fabric roof. The game has a 64 Mini, and the one in the Bourne movies is a lot more modern, but it's what I had to work with. It's incomplete, but I feel it's better than the Hot Wheels entry from before.
Final Entry

View attachment 765207 View attachment 765208

Nice. :)

1: did you edit out your old entry? I’m too busy to go back and check.

2: remember this ;)

(...) It brought realistic engine swaps and fitment to drift cars etc that was desperately wanted! 4 rotor FD, 2JZ s15 etc.

Sure, yeah. :) but Red Bull X2010 and a Fiat.. meh. Haha

Nice. :)

1: did you edit out your old entry? I’m too busy to go back and check.

2: remember this ;)

Sure, yeah. :) but Red Bull X2010 and a Fiat.. meh. Haha
I never entered that realm thankfully! Not yet, I will be completing it tonight.

FINAL ENTRY

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...lery/all/livery/1204631/1/7422583180679480833

5FCC5546-F930-4AAD-A9C8-59438D36ED98.jpeg

B02E5DB0-DB7E-4CA4-A031-872087A8A4AD.jpeg

The only way to find this car reliably without it being a stock photo with an annoying watermark is to watch a video of a race with it competing or by "Gaazmaster" renders.

7BE54180-3F50-4FFF-ABD1-97B5800B25DB.jpeg

632D112A-4F4F-448E-B507-1056D57606BA.jpeg

This is my first entry into the livery editor competition. I didn't want to do anything for this before because it always felt like the week was decided way in advance because the same few talented people would get huge amounts of likes before the voting started. So yeah, as a newcomer it seemed pretty stacked before I even decided to enter.

However, I decided the only way to make a dent in that is to try, so I present to you my AKKA ASP Team Ferrari 458 Italia GTE from the Blancpain GT Sports Series. It's not the main endurance championship and this is a pretty unknown livery, so I knew I would get some points for the obscureness alone.

All decals are 100% authentic to the real car, everything down to the BBS centre lock rims are identical.

Last edited:
Nice to see you in, @MrWaflz55 . Your livery is very great, but you may want to follow the picture settings in the OP, the car will look a lot brighter. Also in the rules, in the spoiler of your post you have to add one bonus shot of your car and one reference pic. It would be sad to be disqualified for such a little detail.

I didn't want to do anything for this before because it always felt like the week was decided way in advance because the same few talented people would get huge amounts of likes before the voting started. So yeah, as a newcomer it seemed pretty stacked before I even decided to enter.

Actually I think that even the theme creators didn't know the subject in advance. As I was the last week winner, I've narrowed my ideas this week-end and @syntex123 just got my theme today, only 24 hours before it will be online. And I think everyone have a lot a fun, even those who don't win ! Like we said at almost every poll "Judging the quality of entries, everyone is already a winner"

Nice to see you in, @MrWaflz55 . Your livery is very great, but you may want to follow the picture settings in the OP, the car will look a lot brighter. Also in the rules, in the spoiler of your post you have to add one bonus shot of your car and one reference pic. It would be sad to be disqualified for such a little detail.

Actually I think that even the theme creators didn't know the subject in advance. As I was the last week winner, I've narrowed my ideas this week-end and @syntex123 just got my theme today, only 24 hours before it will be online. And I think everyone have a lot a fun, even those who don't win ! Like we said at almost every poll "Judging the quality of entries, everyone is already a winner"

I suppose I should elaborate. What I mean by "decided in advance" is that I didn't decide to enter until really late, and there's already posts at the beginning of the thread with 20+ likes easy. I don't think I can hope to match any of those. I'm not saying it's rigged or anything.

I suppose I should elaborate. What I mean by "decided in advance" is that I didn't decide to enter until really late, and there's already posts at the beginning of the thread with 20+ likes easy. I don't think I can hope to match any of those. I'm not saying it's rigged or anything.

It's only votes in the poll thread that count, not likes in this thread. An entry could get 50 likes here, and still come last in the poll. As Lenny Kravitz said, it ain't over till it's over.

People get likes in the first few pages bc people don't so much read the pages as scan. Some people like every entry they see, too. Definitely don't count that as being a preview of actual votes.

FINAL ENTRY

Michel Vaillant BMW Z4 GT3
ROAL Motorsport, Spa 24 hours 2015

A. Zanardi / B. Spengler / T. Glock

Fantastic work, I'm so glad you finished it in time! Like others have said, it's now a fight for 2nd place!

However, and I know I'll get shot down for this by the masses, as good as it is, it's not quite 1:1 and I have one piece of constructive criticism that would take this from the level it's at now (that is, "It's awesome, not many could achieve what you've done!"), to "It's as perfect as possible!".

Right now the placement of the 'VROOAAAW' decals doesn't match the real car. This is obvious in the comparison shots (and I guess you already know this) but I totally understand why it looks like it does and this is due to the limitations of the editor, but it's not impossible to fix.

I had a similar battle when I made my Falken M6. The Falken logos on the rear quarters are applied over various surfaces and simply applying one decal resulted in incorrect placement compared to the real car. No matter what angle I tried I just couldn’t apply the decal without some sort of bleeding or funky skewing going on. In that instance, the best solution was to apply the logos letter by letter, skewing and scaling accordingly.

That could work well here by breaking the decal up (I’m assuming it’s already one-piece) and manually placing each letter (the doors could remain as one piece for ease) however, you could also achieve great results by making a 'distorted' decal that maps to the shape of the car.

For example, I had to create a special version of the Mine's decal for the front bumper on the BNR34 that gradually gets compressed to allow for the curve on the bumper and stopping it bleeding into the grill.

Normal:

M1.png

Even with 'Align to Surface' the decal stretches towards the top and bleeds into the grill and does not look realistic.

Distorted:

M2.png

Once applied, the compressed area at the top stretches out over the curvature of the bumper and looks like a real decal applied over a curve.

The technique is more akin to old fashioned skinning where you’d have to distort shapes and decals to account for curves as the skin is projected onto the model. I've perfected a method for mapping simple bodywork curves in-game which I’m happy to share, and with patience, the same method could apply to larger surfaces.

In the case of 'VROOAAAW' I'd use a slightly different technique and make a rough outline of the shape in-game or at least, key reference points compared to the real car, then take a screenshot side-on and then distort the decal accordingly so it fits in the space. It'd take time, but the result would be epic.

The time involved would push it beyond the realms of this competition and crucially the under the radar of most GT Sport users who’d unlikely notice the difference and who already think the livery is perfect as it is, and if you already consider it ‘done’ and have moved on fair do’s. But if you’re at all like me and have OCD levels of perfection then it might be worth re-visiting in the future as the improvement would be more than satisfying and if nothing else it’s a great skill to master!

Last edited:
I agree with this blitz but @MatskiMonk has already said its not 100% which is a good thing I guess. No doubt though, the level of detail and time taken is just incredible and truly inspiring. I agree with the need for perfection, having a large need for perfection is somewhat a drawback to some but a good thing to others.

that brings me on to my huracan. I feel. I could do much better, but have done the best with the time I have. I have 2 young daughters to look at after alone as well as work etc and this would make perfecting the livery a long process. Which I do plan to do!

If we're going by time alone I think I win! Well over 400 decals and nearly 6 weeks to complete! ;-)

Fantastic work, I'm so glad you finished it in time! Like others have said, it's now a fight for 2nd place!

However, and I know I'll get shot down for this by the masses, as good as it is, it's not quite 1:1 and I have one piece of constructive criticism that would take this from the level it's at now (that is, "It's awesome, not many could achieve what you've done!"), to "It's as perfect as possible!".

Right now the placement of the 'VROOAAAW' decals doesn't match the real car. This is obvious in the comparison shots (and I guess you already know this) but I totally understand why it looks like it does and this is due to the limitations of the editor, but it's not impossible to fix.

I had a similar battle when I made my Falken M6. The Falken logos on the rear quarters are applied over various surfaces and simply applying one decal resulted in incorrect placement compared to the real car. No matter what angle I tried I just couldn’t apply the decal without some sort of bleeding or funky skewing going on. In that instance, the best solution was to apply the logos letter by letter, skewing and scaling accordingly.

That could work well here by breaking the decal up (I’m assuming it’s already one-piece) and manually placing each letter (the doors could remain as one piece for ease) however, you could also achieve great results by making a 'distorted' decal that maps to the shape of the car.

For example, I had to create a special version of the Mine's decal for the front bumper on the BNR34 that gradually gets compressed to allow for the curve on the bumper and stopping it bleeding into the grill.

Normal:

View attachment 765385

Even with 'Align to Surface' the decal stretches towards the top and bleeds into the grill and does not look realistic.

Distorted:

View attachment 765386

Once applied, the compressed area at the top stretches out over the curvature of the bumper and looks like a real decal applied over a curve.

The technique is more akin to old fashioned skinning where you’d have to distort shapes and decals to account for curves as the skin is projected onto the model. I've perfected a method for mapping simple bodywork curves in-game which I’m happy to share, and with patience, the same method could apply to larger surfaces.

In the case of 'VROOAAAW' I'd use a slightly different technique and make a rough outline of the shape in-game or at least, key reference points compared to the real car, then take a screenshot side-on and then distort the decal accordingly so it fits in the space. It'd take time, but the result would be epic.

The time involved would push it beyond the realms of this competition and crucially the under the radar of most GT Sport users who’d unlikely notice the difference and who already think the livery is perfect as it is, and if you already consider it ‘done’ and have moved on fair do’s. But if you’re at all like me and have OCD levels of perfection then it might be worth re-visiting in the future as the improvement would be more than satisfying and if nothing else it’s a great skill to master!

You are absolutely correct in your observation. The simple fact is, I'd had enough of it before I'd finished drawing the main bonnet decal, which combined with severe time constraints meant it hasn't been finessed to the point I'd like. There's a few areas where it's evident to be honest, and I don't mind them being pointed out as this is afterall a replica competition!

I had considered other techniques for the side decals, and each one is already broken into a couple of decals to try and account mainly for quality loss, and also somewhat for positioning. Having played around with it a bit it would need pre-distorted decals over the rear arches to be right. As it was, I settled for making sure the spelling and letter colouring was correct on each side,and got them as close as I could on the first pass.

On the plus side, it's a lot better than the other one in the discover section :D

Not sure if I'm going to tidy it up any further or not, it was in no way pleasurable to do, and unlike my (stalled) art car project, I'm not personally learning anything from it - it really was just a chore... equivalent to grinding 20 million at BMB!

unfortunately detail follows time. It could be
400 circles :lol:

Haha very true! I could do that in 10 mins! However, as many will know all too well their selves, the art of shape manipulation and accuracy of placement is a daunting and very time consuming task! Sometimes I find it really relaxing, other times I could murder the nearest living thing next to me!

I think we all have made some great and time consuming work.

@MatskiMonk deserves a bonus point because he actually made it during the contest and not reusing an old replica (even if I spent 5 more hours on redoing some work on my NSXs for this theme).

You are absolutely correct in your observation. The simple fact is, I'd had enough of it before I'd finished drawing the main bonnet decal, which combined with severe time constraints meant it hasn't been finessed to the point I'd like. There's a few areas where it's evident to be honest, and I don't mind them being pointed out as this is afterall a replica competition!

I had considered other techniques for the side decals, and each one is already broken into a couple of decals to try and account mainly for quality loss, and also somewhat for positioning. Having played around with it a bit it would need pre-distorted decals over the rear arches to be right. As it was, I settled for making sure the spelling and letter colouring was correct on each side,and got them as close as I could on the first pass.

On the plus side, it's a lot better than the other one in the discover section :D

Not sure if I'm going to tidy it up any further or not, it was in no way pleasurable to do, and unlike my (stalled) art car project, I'm not personally learning anything from it - it really was just a chore... equivalent to grinding 20 million at BMB!

I completely understand, livery making has to be fun otherwise it becomes a chore, that's half the reason why I don't enter every comp. If I don't 'feel' the theme or don't have the time do give my best effort then I'm not going to force myself.

My main aim is to make my liveries as accurate as physically possible but other times you have to work with what you have. The ENDLESS 86 was like that, I started it with a view of doing a semi-replica thinking I'd never find all the decals, I also hadn't seen any other attempts so I also thought, even if it's half-baked it'll be the only one on there, then I discovered somebody had already made one (admittedly not very well) and then I HAD to make mine as complete as possible and I'm happy that the results speak for themselves with every decal accounted for.

Haha very true! I could do that in 10 mins! However, as many will know all too well their selves, the art of shape manipulation and accuracy of placement is a daunting and very time consuming task! Sometimes I find it really relaxing, other times I could murder the nearest living thing next to me!

I know you've touched on this before, but you really need to start making your own decals, you'd halve the amount of time/effort/decals by making the shapes you need rather than working with the limited selection in the game! What you achieve with in-game and shared decals is amazing but what's possible with your own decals takes you into a different realm.

I know you say you've only got a tablet, but considering this appears to be one of your main hobbies, chucking £300 at a cheap laptop (you don't need a huge amount of power for vector software compared to photo editing) would be a good investment!

I think we all have made some great and time consuming work.

@MatskiMonk deserves a bonus point because he actually made it during the contest and not reusing an old replica (even if I spent 5 more hours on redoing some work on my NSXs for this theme).

Yes, I'd considered entering an old design, but where's the challenge in that? It just so happened I'd started the NPC R34 the night before the theme was announced so it spurred me on to try and finish it in time!

Last edited:
@Cytoria, Just a thought (not criticism!) regarding your entry. You've technically entered 2 cars, which I gather was a previous theme. Is this actually allowed?! Only today is the last day for entrants and it would be real bad after all your work if you was disqualified!

I know you've touched on this before, but you really need to start making your own decals, you'd halve the amount of time/effort/decals by making the shapes you need rather than working with the limited selection in the game! What you achieve with in-game and shared decals is amazing but what's possible with your own decals takes you into a different realm.

I know you say you've only got a tablet, but considering this appears to be one of your main hobbies, chucking £300 at a cheap laptop (you don't need a huge amount of power for vector software compared to photo editing) would be a good investment!

I have zero computer skills, they actually make me extremely angry! An earth worm is more suited to knitting than I am at computers! I will stick with the in game editor. Ultimately it is still a game and to invest so much extra money into it is unjustifiable. I'm more than happy with what the game provides and what the many talented decal makers provide for the community!

@Cytoria, Just a thought (not criticism!) regarding your entry. You've technically entered 2 cars, which I gather was a previous theme. Is this actually allowed?! Only today is the last day for entrants and it would be real bad after all your work if you was disqualified!
Even if each of them is different, I’ve seen them as « one » livery. But if @syntex123 or @TYLER2013 has a problem with that, I can switch to only the #86 from the bonus shot or even the Cayman that I’ve shown in the general thread and was made specially for this theme.

Glad I entered this, I've got to see some very impressive work from artists I've been unaware of. I've known of Cytorias work for a long time and it never fails to impress. Amazing that all this work comes from the game (obviously excluding imported decals - an art in themselves). I think the overall standard has been awesome, best of luck to everyone who's entered!

I have zero computer skills, they actually make me extremely angry! An earth worm is more suited to knitting than I am at computers! I will stick with the in game editor. Ultimately it is still a game and to invest so much extra money into it is unjustifiable. I'm more than happy with what the game provides and what the many talented decal makers provide for the community!

It's a shame as you've clearly got a good eye for design. I find vector work can be quite therapeutic, until you have to start dealing with the 15kb limit of GT Sport. You spend several hours painstakingly making a decal only to spend twice that working out the best way to get the decal under 15kb without resorting to rubbish quality or having to split things up into a million layers (that wouldn't be such an issue if you could group layers in the game). I've learnt so many new techniques and skills in the last few months because of GT Sport's limits, and I actually relish the challenge with certain decals as it starts to become a mental puzzle to get to the end result.

And gradients. Don’t forget about gradients.

:banghead:

Ah yes, gradients :banghead: many an hour spent hand-coding gradients in TextEdit. I have @MatskiMonk to thank for that. Had he never pointed me in the right direction I'd have given up with gradients months ago. Once you master them you can create some really clever stuff even negating the need for multiple layers in some cases!

I completely understand, livery making has to be fun otherwise it becomes a chore, that's half the reason why I don't enter every comp. If I don't 'feel' the theme or don't have the time do give my best effort then I'm not going to force myself.

To be honest, I find replicas a bit of a chore from the get go. As I said previously, I much prefer the creative side of things rather than laboriously trying to match things up - - which may seem odd given most of my shared liveries have been re-interpretations of existing liveries, but I think it's different asking yourself how something would look on another car, versus creating a de facto copy.

Having said all that, I'm happy enough with it. My first thought with the competition was to recreate Zanardi's Misano DTM livery, then I thought - nah that'll be a bit dull, but at that point I decided I wanted to pay tribute to Zanardi anyway and this seemed like an obvious tribute. I met Zanardi at Spa the weekend he raced this car....

940918_10153175604182245_4773023897496317656_n.jpg

.. seems I was quite well fed in 2015 :lol:

... and I'm a fan of Stereoscreens productions, and specifically the NO LIMITS film they shot around this very race.

I really can't emphasize how much respect I have for Alex. I know he's not the only person to have triumphed in the face of extreme adversity, every paralympian has, Alex's olympic gold medals don't make him unique for that. It's more the fact that on top of that, he stands out as being the nicest guy I've ever met in motorsport - and not by a small margin... plus the fact he drives for BMW ;)

As with Art Cars, I think an emotional connection to a livery a part of what makes it interesting.

I had hoped to get something entered, but it's not going to happen. I was away from my art computer for more than a week, and none of my existing liveries really qualify as replicas, as I usually take creative liberties with everyone I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back