The GT Sport Livery Editor Competition 62 (Inverted Throwback) - CLOSED

• Thread starter Cytoria
  • 80 comments
When thinking of ideas for this round I thought of doing something with a Porsche or even a Jaguar but settled on this idea eventually. I used period correct sponsors and tried to keep some of the same main sponsors such as Mobil and Denso on the car. The Gazoo Racing decals were custom done in inkscape.

Last edited:
FINAL ENTRY

50312836997_fd24dbb15d_z.jpg

50312663541_f2a875ba1d_z.jpg

50311995413_03f70b3967_z.jpg

50312663766_f15ff4069d_z.jpg

FINAL ENTRY

50312836997_fd24dbb15d_z.jpg

50312663541_f2a875ba1d_z.jpg

50311995413_03f70b3967_z.jpg

50312663766_f15ff4069d_z.jpg

I may have went a different route here.

My entry is a DHL sponsored Porsche 993 made as a GT2 model to run in the 1995 Le Mans 24 Hours. The livery is a inverted throwback to the Penske-run Porsche RS-Spyders that raced the mid 2000's.

Being period-correct for the mid 1990's resulted in some changes such as the DHL colors being white and red (they didn’t adopt the current yellow identity until a few years later) and changing the team to a American Porsche team of the time, Rohr.

Livery link: DHL Rohr Porsche 993 GT2

Last edited:

Some really strong entries so far in what I found to be quite a tough category to come up with an idea for, mainly due to the number of possibilities!

Decided to give our friends across the other side of the pond a bit of love and go for a NASCAR classic in Dale Earnhardt Jr's #8 Budweiser Chevy colours. It was good fun sourcing all of the classic throwback logos for this, some of which were incredibly hard to find but a big shout out to the decal makers on the GT community for some absolute crackers and saving me a massive headache (especially on that NASCAR 1960's logo.). Was good fun looking back at old Budweiser ads at the time to find a slogan that replaced 'King of Beers'.

Decided to give the driver name to Dale Jr's Grandad Ralph, who was racing Stock Cars at the time of this car being made, even ahead of Dale Sr's time.

main_1501188204-Dale-Earnhardt-Jr-LE-8-Budweiser-2004-Monte-Carlo-Elite-NASCAR-124-Die-Cast-Scale-Stock-Car-Display-PristineAuction.com.jpg

Iconic to me mostly means F1 as I've not watched enough other series for a livery to be instantly recalled. A distant second of what I have watched is BTCC so I chose the most striking sponsor and colour scheme that came to mind. There have been many iterations of Pirtek liveries so I felt the room for plenty of artistic license. I originally started on the BMW M3 (check out my gallery for a few uploads) but decided this was my chance to finally make something for one of my all-time favourite cars from my childhood. Testarossa is #1 so this is close enough! :D

FINAL ENTRY

Here is my take on an inverted throwback, the 1971 Ford Mustang - 2016 Ford GT Lemans Tribute Edition. Obviously the "powered by ecoboost" had to go and I replaced it with "powered by V8". For the drivers I chose Ronnie Bucknum and Dick Hutcherson which famously won the 1966 Lemans Endurance Race in a Ford GT. Hope you like the transformation from a modern design to a classic one.

FINAL ENTRY

Panasonic Jaguar XJR-9

Link.

Last edited:
FINAL ENTRY

Panasonic Jaguar XJR-9

Link (Coming soon).​
Answering the question of what would happen if Jaguar's Formula E colours and title sponsor were applied to an XJR-9 of the period. My idea was to apply a similar style to the 2018/2019 and 2019-2020 I-Type schemes (complete with pinstripe patterns), adapted to suit the Group C car's design and paired with secondary decals lifted from the '88 Silk Cut livery. 'Push/Pousser', 'Fuel' and 'Oil' labels created by myself in Photoshop. Default numbers, sun strip, tyre and driver stickers kept to maintain the effect of it being an authentic 1988-style livery.

Throughout the process, the most challenging elements to get right were the pinstripe patterns and the decals immediately beneath the headlights on either side. For a while, I was struggling to work out how to get the Dunlop and TWR stickers to show in those areas without them being left distorted, until I found this timelapse of another player creating a Silk Cut replica:

The part at 6:16 (best played at 0.25 speed) was a godsend for me. I didn't realise until then that you could adjust the placement position before selecting your decal; in the case of the XJR-9, it was through directly placing the Dunlop/TWR stickers beneath the headlights that the distortion was eliminated. I will be sure to remember this the next time I work on a car with an unusual or difficult 'bonnet' section, as before I usually tended to avoid areas where decals got distorted after being moved from the centre (top).

FINAL ENTRY

Panasonic Jaguar XJR-9

Link.
Added link and screenshots of updated version featuring minor tweaks and cleaned up patterns behind the engine cover (best seen in the Bonus 1 shot). As another Formula E reference, I also added 'ABB' decals in the position where the 'leaping cat' would normally be on the Silk Cut scheme (coincidentally, the company in its current form began operating the same year that the XJR-9 debuted).

Back