The GT5/FM3 thread of GTP livery experiment!

• Thread starter alba
  • 183 comments

alba

Into very fine pixels.
Premium
United States
Rockford, MI
dw-alba
Alright so, I didn't really know where to post about this and figured this would be the best place to do so... (move this thread if I'm wrong mods, you know what to do :D)

I was thinking about this a long time ago and figured since FM3 has it and GT5 should have it, it'd be a cool thing to have some sort of brainstorm together (all the artists on GTP) to come up with some sort of streamlined/official livery that GTP members could use in those different games to make us stand out from the crowd and promote this wonderful place! :]

I just want to know what you guys think and what you'd like to see and what you guys like and so on.

Basically I believe in the "less is more" motto and think we should keep it straight forward and simple (it depends obviously but you know...) and make sure it's good looking and not overloaded with useless crap.

Anyway, I was looking at the newest BMW vision concept and it gave me a really great idea for a color palette. Kinda like all the BMW liveries you got blue/red white base color combo and this one has some light dark grey and black. I think that could work out very well since it's basically the same colors as the website :)

Here is the little preview I got while I was playing around with color schemes:
livery_test_01.jpg

So right now I'm just thinking about stuff and just doing some shape sketches whenever I'm bored and then I'm going to make a basic template and apply it on a car and then we can all share our impressions but the goal I'd like to achieve is get input from all of the community and have us work together and share things so we can get this thing done.

I just bought FM2 on Ebay just waiting for it to come home now so I can start practicing on that and get some screenshots action going.

So everyone share away what you think would make the best GTP livery! :-)

Not a bad idea. It would be a great idea to promote this site on the game. But then you've got lots of people with different designs. I think that just one graphic to represent the site would get the message out about the site.

Hehe, anyone's welcome to share and help out, I'm making a flat template based on the GTR R35 (since it's kinda like PD's favorite since I'd say) to do some flat testing :0)

In other words, this thread is encourage us to come up with advertisements to promote GTP that Polyphony will use in GT5?

No it's more like come up with a "racing" livery for GTP that every member could use in both upcoming driving games so for example you'd have the best members have the best times in time trial and when people would download their replay they'd see the livery and that'd help us promote the site and just stand out from the crowd. At least that's the basic idea I had :P Just have one unique thing for the members to use if they like to :)

In both Forza 3 and GT5.

No it's more like come up with a "racing" livery for GTP that every member could use in both upcoming driving games so for example you'd have the best members have the best times in time trial and when people would download their replay they'd see the livery and that'd help us promote the site and just stand out from the crowd. At least that's the basic idea I had :P Just have one unique thing for the members to use if they like to :)

In both Forza 3 and GT5.

Alba, I'm constantly on NGaf but my account hasnt been activated since...April?

Anywho, what about putting the GT in the logo with planet to the right? I'll whip up some crude ideas for you. Hard to explain in text!

well the extend of my base idea would be lines or shapes red blue on a white car and the planet symbol to represent gtp or just the text, I just need to finish my base template of the GTR R35 and put it up here with a psd so everyone can give it a try :P

edit: NeoGAF activation takes a long long time, you just have to wait sadly they're quite slow. I registered and mailed as it says in the faq and I was accepted within two weeks I'd say and some people wait months, you just have to get the initiative and mail the moderator with your nickname and mail etc, just read the faq :)

I have two ideas regarding what colors we can use for a GTP Livery:

Traditional GT colors: We could go with the Red, White & Blue colors as we've seen on certain cars at Le Mans over the years.

Black & Silver: Since this appears to be the predominate colors nowadays amoungst some of us racing online with GTP on the hood( Like daan and myself), This could be our trademark.

As far as a paint scheme goes, perhaps something simple like all black with a Silver ring going around the cars.

Well I think i'm going to use a mix of both, what I want is what I listed in the OP stock car color would be white since GTP website is a whole lot light (I wanted to reflect that) blue/red horizontal lines and maybe a bit across the hood and the rear and a black line around the bottom of the car and some gray around the black one :D

I should've had FM2 delivered today but it didn't come through so I'll have to wait tomorrow and right now I'm busy doing my new website so, I should have something to show soon so we can get going! :D

I've been thinking of doing something like this in FM2. I'll see if I can come up with something that looks half way decent.

I got FM2 today finally and started doing the livery, still figuring out a little bit of the editor but so far I got something simple but cool, will take screenshots later :)

Damn, I keep making different ones and then half way through I just delete them because I'm not happy how it looks. So far the only one i'm using is the simple one of the lot, just the gtp symbol on the side angled and a black rooftop cut.

test_side.jpg

test_rear.jpg

I guess I should wait for FM3 as I'll have to restart from scratch anyway :P

I wish there was a setting to select the width of the border of a cut-out circle, would be way better :P

Ok so, since we can't import the stuff from FM2 to FM3, I'll wait for 3 to drop before I try any revision or other things since right now I'm just wasting my time (at least I'm familiar with the livery editor now)

Ok so here's what I have, really simple black rooftop cut, license plate euro (be). I plant to make each of them though, guess lots of gtp members will be doing theirs too? Then the GTP symbol (I'll redo the font on 3!) and a number thingy on the side.

GTP_Livery_STi_Front.jpg

GTP_Livery_STi_Rear.jpg

All for now I guess :-)

Wow, nice. In rather ironic fashion, I was actually imagining that a few days ago:eek: Get out of my head!! Stealing my ideas :P

I could pitch in as well since I have Nascar 09 and have Photoshop 7.

I made a GTP car today out of a RX-8, but I can't find the pics I thought I uploaded. I'll try again later tonight to see if it'll work.

Please do! Can't wait to start working on proper stuff when Forza 3 hits :D

I tried again and they aren't showing up in my "Stats and Photos" section on Forzamotorsport.net, nothing is.

That's weird mine show up almost instantly :embarrassed: But you get the ingame stuff that shows it was sent right? or somekind of error maybe?

It's not letting me use my Gamer Tag, it made me make a new one.

*works now...

Also, if anyone is wanting to do this but doesn't want to have to make their own GTP logo I'll give them mine.

Last edited:
Nice :) The symbol is quite a pain in the ass because you need two versions basically one where the dots are too spaced out so it looks decent enough at small size and one regular one for when it's quite big. The thing that's annoying is that the way I did mine to have the outer circle top-left/top-right/bottom-right cut in a curve properly was to put a white outline circle on top of it and then add another one on top to make the border and then another one on top to cut it to the background color to have the proper effect. I hope somehow FM3 gives us a way to do like pathfinder-stuff like illustrator where you could cut a shape with another one and have it be one single layer. That'd be the most awesome thing ever.

Also the problem I have the most doing this kind of stuff is that with the blue and red and the white, it's kinda hard to make the car being half blue half red and then white and then a bit of black. I like the way you did red/black/white which seems to be an easier combination and you could have the same thing except with blue except of red!

The more I work with the editor though and the less layers I use. I like the less is more kind of way but it kinda looks plain and also I would love to have something that is really simple yet really distinguishable so it could be applied to any single cars in an easy manner and still looks good and tasteful. I mean we're most likely going to apply these kind of liveries to standard productions cars (yeah tuned but still, depends on the body kits availability and if "racing modifcation" comes back then yeah it'd be justified to go all race-like livery) so I tend to prefer to keep it really simple and "tasteful" but I like what you've done so far, can't wait to see what we can achieve with Forza3 & GT5 (in which we still need to see the scope and limitations but I'm confident).

I so want to do the gtplanet text and so on in 2 but it's a waste of time so I just have to be a bit patient :)

</end of rant>

I made the the bigger outline circle the same way you explained, I don't however have two versions for big and small sizes. It's hard to have a lot of colors on the car with the GTP symbol, especially with the way the outline of the circle is made, you can't see anything behind the logo. I might make another, you see I already started the gold subie, but I can't do much more because all the DC logos took up a lot of space.

Last edited:
i think there should be two liveries, one for "casual" driving with stock cars and one for racing with....racing cars

the casual one should be really simple, i was thinking something like this

i707234_sciongt.jpg

i might try to do something more complex but livery editor in shift has been downgraded in comparison to previous nfss so it's kinda hard now :indiff:

but i'd be happy with both of your suggestions, they look really good 👍

The RX8 livery by Loon looks great and would be very recognisable in a race - which I guess is the purpose.

👍

I agree, two liveries one for production cars and one for race cars! But right now it's pretty much doing anything, we need to wait for Forza 3 to drop first :)

I think we should move this to the FM3 subforum and rename it for the time being and if GT5 has any kind of livery editor then we'll do another thread in the GT5 forum.

Help moderators!

Back