The GT5 Garage Editor Thread.

• Thread starter VBR
  • 676 comments
Awesome, I got it to work, but now I have two questions.

1). Why is there no documentation for this program? How did you guys learn how to use GE, did you have to rely on YouTube videos like I am? Because I would much prefer some sort of written tutorial. If I type 'GT5 Editor Tutorial' into a search though, all I get are videos.

... because these video guys never do a thorough job. They all say "here's how to add 999 gazillion credits, here's how to change your level, here's how you get a Red Bull, here's how you get chrome paint," but none of them say how to (for instance) swap parts. Not with 1.3.1 anyway. I found a 1.5 tutorial that shows this, but not 1.3.1. That is my first project: to swap Audi A4 Touring Car's drivetrain so that it's AWD, not FR.

2). GTV just mentioned a 2013 edition ... does this come with Speed Test Pack? :D That was my favorite DLC, I do lots of car testing. I had this DLC on my old PS3, but that died long ago, and I was not able to transfer it over. I want Speed Test Pack. I would gladly pay for it again.

Awesome, I got it to work, but now I have two questions.

1). Why is there no documentation for this program? How did you guys learn how to use GE, did you have to rely on YouTube videos like I am? Because I would much prefer some sort of written tutorial. If I type 'GT5 Editor Tutorial' into a search though, all I get are videos.

... because these video guys never do a thorough job. They all say "here's how to add 999 gazillion credits, here's how to change your level, here's how you get a Red Bull, here's how you get chrome paint," but none of them say how to (for instance) swap parts. Not with 1.3.1 anyway. I found a 1.5 tutorial that shows this, but not 1.3.1. That is my first project: to swap Audi A4 Touring Car's drivetrain so that it's AWD, not FR.

2). GTV just mentioned a 2013 edition ... does this come with Speed Test Pack? :D That was my favorite DLC, I do lots of car testing. I had this DLC on my old PS3, but that died long ago, and I was not able to transfer it over. I want Speed Test Pack. I would gladly pay for it again.
Yes, the 2013 Edition does come with a Speed Test Pack. And the GE is just easy to use, actually. You just pick a car from your own garage while the other tab shows the list of a certain car with its parts. For example you want a GTR engine in your 370Z. Just choose that certain GTR model you want while also choosing the Z from your garage. Click on that certain part i.e. the engine and voila, the code will be copied to your car. Then close the GE and copy your save to the system. Then play the game and check in the garage menu if your car did receive the engine change. If yes, then there it goes. Simple as that. You'll also notice the engine sound will sound different, too.

Well heck yeah, I am getting 2013 then. Right now actually. I'll order it tonight.

I did just as you said, GTV, but the Audi is sill FR. Well actually, let me try something, because I want to see if manually entering the code (instead of just tapping it on the donor car's side) makes a difference. I'll try manually entering that code, then press Enter. Maybe that'll work.

Well heck yeah, I am getting 2013 then. Right now actually. I'll order it tonight.

I did just as you said, GTV, but the Audi is sill FR. Well actually, let me try something, because I want to see if manually entering the code (instead of just tapping it on the donor car's side) makes a difference. I'll try manually entering that code, then press Enter. Maybe that'll work.
Some information in the list that you see while choosing the car won't change, like the drivetrain.

I have a Samba Bus which was a RR before but I have changed the drivetrain to a 4WD of a race car and it did became 4WD, although it's still displayed as RR in the menu.

When changing certain parts, for example, the drivetrain or transmission, it would be wise to select one from a race car which have limited tuning options and usually have the highest grade as default.

For example, you bought a Celica race car. Some parts that are adjustable, like the full custom suspension, customized transmission and the drivetrain distributor (F/R ratio) come as default.

So if you put them in a non-race car via the GE, it would have them as default and so, they could become adjustable, too. I did before equipped a Pontiac Solstice concept with an 8-speed custom tranny from a Lexus race car and it became an 8-speed by default. What's more is that I could adjust the ratios, since it's the only tranny for that certain race car.

So yeah, that's how this GE works. It works in miraculously lol.

Oh okay so the drivetrain info does not change; it will always say FR, I get it now.

And .... Hey thanks for all your help. All of you in this entire thread (I read most of y'alls posts). I was not able to swap drivetrains with 1.3.1, but I found a different editor that works. It's GT5 Garage Editor 1.6. For some reason this version let me swap a '97 Toyota Celica SS-II from FF to an Audi S4 drivetrain. I just launched the car full-throttle from a standstill, and it's definitely all-wheel drive now! Those rear tires turn a light shade of blue, instead of the front ones overheating & turning red.

1.3.1 will still have plenty of usage for me though. Because it's got that ability to just add any car into the game via ticket, or any paint chip, any horn, etc. 1.3.1 also allows us to change a car's name, which will help me keep it organized from any regular front-drive Celicas out there. 1.6 does not do any of these functions.

Best of all, 1.6 came with an actual README full of actual instructions (imagine that)

Last edited:
Oh okay so the drivetrain info does not change; it will always say FR, I get it now.

And .... Hey thanks for all your help. All of you in this entire thread (I read most of y'alls posts). I was not able to swap drivetrains with 1.3.1, but I found a different editor that works. It's GT5 Garage Editor 1.6. For some reason this version let me swap a '97 Toyota Celica SS-II from FF to an Audi S4 drivetrain. I just launched the car full-throttle from a standstill, and it's definitely all-wheel drive now! Those rear tires turn a light shade of blue, instead of the front ones overheating & turning red.

1.3.1 will still have plenty of usage for me though. Because it's got that ability to just add any car into the game via ticket, or any paint chip, any horn, etc. 1.3.1 also allows us to change a car's name, which will help me keep it organized from any regular front-drive Celicas out there. 1.6 does not do any of these functions.

Best of all, 1.6 came with an actual README full of actual instructions (imagine that)
There's no garage editor 1.6. IIRC, that's the hybrid editor 1.6 made by a different programmer. The garage editor is up to version 1.3.1 only.

There's no garage editor 1.6. IIRC, that's the hybrid editor 1.6 made by a different programmer. The garage editor is up to version 1.3.1 only.

Okay. Yes, that's the one I got, the hybrid editor.

Okay. Yes, that's the one I got, the hybrid editor.
The good thing about that hybrid editor is that it has a horn as one part that can be changed too, unlike the garage editor. You could put horn mods on any race car you like since most of them don't come standard with any of it.

OK now i have to know where can i get "this" Garage Editor and how do i load it on the PS3?

OK now i have to know where can i get "this" Garage Editor and how do i load it on the PS3?

I will PM ye, sir! Give me some time though, I have to have a look at my home computer.

It does not go onto your PS3 though, you have to have an actual computer to use GE or HE.

Guys I'm sorry for my ignorance about it, with Garage Editor it was possible to get races with a custom grid? CPU type that uses cars from our Garage, etc.

Guys I'm sorry for my ignorance about it, with Garage Editor it was possible to get races with a custom grid? CPU type that uses cars from our Garage, etc.

If you turn on the secret menu, then you can specify which premium cars are available for use in the game. So, when you set up a race, only those cars will appear in it. Not done it on GT5 as of yet, but did mess around with the secret menu on GT5 Prologue which was very similar.

VBR
If you turn on the secret menu, then you can specify which premium cars are available for use in the game. So, when you set up a race, only those cars will appear in it. Not done it on GT5 as of yet, but did mess around with the secret menu on GT5 Prologue which was very similar.
Your description is actually pretty accurate. One thing I should add though is this only applies to arcade mode.

Sonygamer: hey thanks. I was reading this thread earlier today so I know that we can update past 2.12, but this limits how much modding we can do.
You're welcome. It's nice to see you're still around here, I haven't talked to you since my early days here.
So right now I'm only going up to 2.09 or 2.10. :)
Why not 2.11? :confused:
VBR
Oh, that's a shame. I was hoping that it worked in career mode too.

:(
That would be cool. I also remember EncounterGTR saying earlier that you can add standard cars to the list. (I've never tried it though)

It does?! :eek: Interesting! Where exactly does it work in simulation mode though?
Every event in GT Mode is compatible with it. You can even add cars that don’t follow the event restrictions.

So you could do what I’m doing and replace the AI cars in every event with just premium cars.

One thing of note is you do have to return to secret menu every time you want to change the AI cars.

It does?! :eek: Interesting! Where exactly does it work in simulation mode though?
All of the A-Spec races, B-Spec races, the GT Rally Special Events, and Races on Custom Courses. There may be other places that work but I'm not sure. Just be warned that the AI will use whatever stock tire compound originally came on the vehicle they are assigned to, even if it's a race that limits the tires to below what they come with. For example, the Touring Cars will still use racing hard tires in an event that locks it to sports hard.

Every event in GT Mode is compatible with it. You can even add cars that don’t follow the event restrictions.

So you could do what I’m doing and replace the AI cars in every event with just premium cars.

One thing of note is you do have to return to secret menu every time you want to change the AI cars.

All of the A-Spec races, B-Spec races, the GT Rally Special Events, and Races on Custom Courses. There may be other places that work but I'm not sure. Just be warned that the AI will use whatever stock tire compound originally came on the vehicle they are assigned to, even if it's a race that limits the tires to below what they come with. For example, the Touring Cars will still use racing hard tires in an event that locks it to sports hard.
Wow, I feel kind of dumb now, played that game for years and I didn't even know that. :indiff: I was always under the impression it only worked in arcade mode. Of course I never really toyed around with it much and it kind of makes me sad I didn't know about it sooner because I would've used it a lot more. Oh well, more reason for me to play the game again! :)

It's shocking to me they never removed it.

I should edit the car choices one day via some other means, live data to mess around with changing the cars the AI can use. Makes things a bit easier to make custom events with and all, could get creative with it.

Would be interesting to revert to the update when grid starts were available in career mode, then choose what premium cars you want to race against.

I hate rolling starts so much!

VBR
I hate rolling starts so much!

There should not have been Rolling starts in GT Sports, but it will be interesting when GT7 comes out if that game is going the same way with Rollings starts.

Hey VBR, was GT3 on PS2 was the last game with Rollings starts ?

Hey VBR, was GT3 on PS2 was the last game with Rollings starts ?

I think you mean grid starts? In career mode GT5 had grid starts, to begin with, then they were replaced with rolling starts in one of the early updates. Grid starts were in career mode for GT3 & GT4 as far as I remember, as well as qualifying sessions. There are still grid starts for user-created lobbies in GT Sport, as well as Custom Races. And, grid starts were in GT5 Prologue, GT5, & GT6 for online racing too. Rolling starts are so dull & boring compared to grid starts, & they rob excitement away from the start of the race IMHO. When I used to host lobbies in GT5/6, all my races were grid starts (will hopefully be uploading some videos soon™).

VBR
I think you mean grid starts? In career mode GT5 had grid starts, to begin with, then they were replaced with rolling starts in one of the early updates. Grid starts were in career mode for GT3 & GT4 as far as I remember, as well as qualifying sessions. There are still grid starts for user-created lobbies in GT Sport, as well as Custom Races. And, grid starts were in GT5 Prologue, GT5, & GT6 for online racing too. Rolling starts are so dull & boring compared to grid starts, & they rob excitement away from the start of the race IMHO. When I used to host lobbies in GT5/6, all my races were grid starts (will hopefully be uploading some videos soon™).
Yes sorry.
I like to see Grid starts in Races with the AI.

Why not 2.11? :confused:

I probably went up to 2.11, I don't remember. Glad to see somebody here remembers me from earlier times.

As an update to this thread: I've been adding and hybriding cars here and there. Started off a few brand-new games. I'm one of the 'realist' players, I guess. I made a '89 Mitsubishi Galant ES for instance, to compete more fairly with beginner B-spec races. Dropped a Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg engine in, so it went from about 202 hp to 167. Also made it into a front-drive. All of this is similar to what could happen in real-life (sort of). Galants were either front drive or AWD, and there were lots of different engines available. The turbo engine that the Galant engine comes with merely happens to be the most powerful, I think. Which makes sense because Mitsubishi / PD would not want to offer anything but the best, or close to the best.

Sonygamer, if you remember me from my early days, you'll remember my occasional online brawls with HYBRIDLVR. I used to chastise him for hybriding GT2 back in the mid 2000s. :lol: And he used to call me "boring" for sticking to the vanilla game only.

Not everyone who "edits" their game does so in order to get through the game faster. After a couple years of grinding and getting all trophies, we can still do a few races for fun, but if you want to own all the cars, or all colors of a certain prize car, it could take years, just to achieve. I find it difficult to go out and buy the next title unless I am reasonably satisfied I have done all I wanted with the previous title I paid good money for. For me this means stacking my garage with cars that I can come back and access anytime I get the urge to go back and race an older car on an older track. In the case of GT2, there were so many unfinished cars that didn't make it into the game or had the wrong engines in them to begin with, I had to add those to my garage as well which led to hybriding them and then to building my own custom versions of cars as many drivers do in real life which was cool. I was disappointed when race modding the cars was removed and allowed other racing games an opportunity to compete with Gran Turismo which had dominated racing games for 2-3 years after blowing up the genre. We love tinkering with cars... duh.
-
I think there are 3 kinds of players of Grand Turismo. (1) Gamers who like to compete against other gamers giving little attention to additional features offered in Gran Turismo. (2) Motorheads that love everything to do with horsepower and style who like to tune or modify their cars, to attain more cars to tune and modify. (3) Amateur racers who like to use GT as a kind of simulator to learn things and supplement their real life activities such as learning track layouts or how different settings affect performance. I am a #2 and feel #1's and #3's ought to understand why we do what we do and that it isn't cheating if you've already beat the game and just want to get the maximum play value from our own game in our own house which has nothing to do with how they choose to play their game in their home, especially when they threw their game in the trash as soon as the new version came out. They just need to get over themselves and mind their own business. Even with editors, it takes a long time to build a dream garage and be able to continue playing older titles. It's fun and they're the ones missing out.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back