The GT5 Garage Editor Thread.

• Thread starter VBR
  • 676 comments
Another tip I can give you guys is that you can use the body code and get different parts that way from another car, I did that with my NA MR2 and switched it with a turbo. Almost like Forza's conversions, but different in a way. Just wanted to help and if you know this good.

One thing I used to love to do back in the days was putting dirt and snow tires on any car, even those that don't typically allow them.

So one thing I want to share with ya'll is how I did this. It's easy!

1. Copy your save game to a USB drive.
2. Load it into the editor of your choice.
3. Change the body of your desired car to a one that you CAN buy dirt and snow tires for and then save. It can be any car as long as it allows you to buy dirt and snow tires.
4. Copy the save back to your PS3 and then go into the game and buy dirt and snow tires for your car. I recommend pressing triangle on the car in the garage and going to settings. Sometimes the game will crash if you try to actually look at your car, this is due to the color code being invalid on some cars.

Example: Like when you swap the body of a X2010 with the 20th color to the Subaru 360 for instance, it will cause a crash if you try to view it because the Subaru 360 doesn't have a 20th color.
5. Load your save back into your editor of choice and change the body back to whatever it was before.
6. Copy it back to your PS3 and then your done! You can now take your desired car on dirt or snow regardless if it allowed them originally or not, it's quite fun!

Depending on what car body you use, you may have unusually small wheels once you change it back, but if you do, have no fear! Just switch to a different set of tires and it will fix it. Don't worry, as long as you bought dirt and snow tires, you won't lose them and your wheels will not be small again when you try to race on a dirt or snow track.

Eventually I am going to make a fairly in depth thread covering this, but it may be a week or two because i'll be going on vacation in a few days.

Last edited:
One thing I used to love to do back the days was putting dirt and snow tires on any car, even those that don't typically allow them.

So one thing I want to share with ya'll is how I did this. It's easy!

1. Copy your save game to a USB drive.
2. Load it into the editor of your choice.
3. Change the body of your desired car to a one that you CAN buy and dirt and snow tires for and then save. It can be any car as long as it allows you to buy dirt and snow tires.
4. Copy the save back to your PS3 and then go into the game and buy dirt and snow tires for your car. I recommend pressing triangle on the car in the garage and going to settings. Sometimes the game will crash if you try to actually look at your car, this is due to the color code being invalid on some cars.

Example: Like when you swap the body of a X2010 with the 20th color to the Subaru 360 for instance, it will cause a crash if you try to view it because the Subaru 360 doesn't have a 20th color.
5. Load your save back into your editor of choice and change the body back to whatever it was before.
6. Copy it back to your PS3 and then your done! You can now take your desired car on dirt or snow regardless if it allowed them originally or not, it's quite fun!

Depending on what car body you use, you may have unusually small wheels once you change it back, but if you do, have no fear! Just switch to a different set of tires and it will fix it. Don't worry, as long as you bought dirt and snow tires, you won't lose them and your wheels will not be small again when you try to race on a dirt or snow track.

Eventually I am going to make a fairly in depth thread covering this, but it may be a week or two because i'll be going vacation in a few days.
That's similar to how I got turbo's on NA cars that don't have them, useful if your engine swapping.

I had no idea the GE was still this popular! I've recently made my own mock-Gr. 4 cars out of the 4.2 R8 and Ford GT and added the DN-X electric motors to the R10 TDI.

Has there been any progress regarding loading standard cars in the secret menu?

Interesting. Are there any parts besides the wonky turbo that can drastically increase the RPM limiter on an engine?
I believe so, but some parts that are different cars can affect them in mild to moderate ways by percentage, you can stretch your engine too, but that's by hex and it can be difficult to do. There are tutorials on NGU about it, but won't link them here.

Giygas...
No one as far as I'm aware has been able to resolve that issue. It is interesting if I recall however that the menu does have that option listed for use with standard cars as well, but it has never worked. It might be that the share larger number of standard cars available in GT5 somehow makes that option unavailable, but who knows really. It's probably the only real disappointment for many in that menu.

"Ghost 'Cuda"
00034FFF sample_white
ZZZZ_Z999.png

"Shiny Chevy" Chevelle SS 454
01A06FFF NN AQUA CHROME (RACING KART 125 SPL)
ZZZZ_Z998.png

Edit: I forgot to tap the 'focus' button before saving these two, apologies.

"Ghost 'Cuda"
00034FFF sample_white
View attachment 751100

"Shiny Chevy" Chevelle SS 454
01A06FFF NN AQUA CHROME (RACING KART 125 SPL)
View attachment 751101
Edit: I forgot to tap the 'focus' button before saving these two, apologies.
That's not the white that they use for the Racing Mod cars, is it?

Giygas...
No one as far as I'm aware has been able to resolve that issue. It is interesting if I recall however that the menu does have that option listed for use with standard cars as well, but it has never worked. It might be that the share larger number of standard cars available in GT5 somehow makes that option unavailable, but who knows really. It's probably the only real disappointment for many in that menu.
Yeah, I recall someone saying that there's nothing for the game to pull from when you make the request for standard cars, but this was some years ago.

That's not the white that they use for the Racing Mod cars, is it?

I never thought about that, it could very well be and would explain why they need a sample_white.
There is 0083AFFF metallic_blue as well. They are the only colors I found that look like file names.
I chose this color because the 'Cuda is one of the unpaintables that isn't fully paintable with GE.
I will try these colors on a Formula GT and a Race Modded car to see what else I can learn.
-
EDIT: It is not the same white as Race Modded cars, sample_white is a darker shade of white.

Last edited:
One thing I wonder about is how we can obtain these "unobtainable paint chips" like what the McLaren's and go kart's have for instance. Ramanujan here on GTPlanet used to do this when the servers were up, but as far as how he did it, I am not sure of that. I wonder if it's jailbreak related, if so it probably can't be discussed here.

I still want the paint chip for the Artic White Corvette ZR1 and the Blue Nissan GTR Spec V from GTPSP. They were SP models in GTPSP and since they were reused in GT5, the cars are in there too, but only in arcade mode. (At least by normal means) You can get them into simulation mode via hacking, but you won't receive the paint chips for them. Hopefully somebody can obtain these rather "unique" paint chips. I would love to make premium versions of these cars! :dopey:

In regards to certain paint chips all ya have to do is get the cars in GE with all the numbered colors like the 125 SPL Kart And you will get all the chrome chips for that car... also GE has almost ever color paint chips you can think of... ya just need to know where to look for them under items or when ya click a garage car paint code ...

In regards to certain paint chips all ya have to do is get the cars in GE with all the numbered colors like the 125 SPL Kart And you will get all the chrome chips for that car...
I'm not sure I understand some of what your saying.

GE has most of them that can be added to your inventory, but ones like 5277cc for instance aren't there and I am pretty sure the two I mentioned aren't there either. I know it's possible to somehow get these unobainable paint chips, but how to do so, that's the question.

Their are multiple paint chips with that name, all of which are slightly different. However, the actual GTPSP port of the car with that color has no name for it's color, but I know it is Artic White. I am wanting to get this "unnamed Artic White paint chip" someday.

I get ya’s ... paint chips that are not available like ya said like the 5727 and certain chromes etc.... Tim is the man on that to talk too... :cheers:

I'm not sure I understand some of what your saying.

GE has most of them that can be added to your inventory, but ones like 5277cc for instance aren't there and I am pretty sure the two I mentioned aren't there either. I know it's possible to somehow get these unobtainable paint chips, but how to do so, that's the question.
Click on Garage Tab in GE and then, enter the number of the color that you want in the "Paint" box found to the right.
To find the number for any hidden or "no-name" color, you need a list like mine that someone has for the various cars.

Last edited:
Click on Garage Tab in GE and then, enter the number of the color that you want in the "Paint" box found to the right.
I know how to apply paint to a car already. What I don't know is how to add paint chips that aren't already in GE to my inventory, which is what I want to do.
To find the number for any hidden or "no-name" color, you need a list like mine that someone has for the various cars.
A list of paint codes?

Did you port them over from PSP? If so, they probably came with the cars. I don't have those in my Arcade Cars.
A number of the race cars in GT5 don't have colors, I have found some that do, like Jeff Gordon 2011.

Last edited:
Did you port them over from PSP?
No I did not, but Polyphony Digital did and they exist in the game files.
If so, they probably came with the cars.
Not sure what you mean by this, but they have their own unique paint chips that don't have any names on them and while they obviously exist, as far as I can tell, their paint codes haven't been documented yet.
I don't have those in my Arcade Cars
You get them by importing them from GTPSP into arcade mode. GT5 had a neat feature that allowed you to import your car collection from GTPSP by plugging your PSP into the PS3 and then importing them. Then you get to race them in arcade mode. The ZR1 and GTR I speak of where part of these imports.

If you've never done it, you won't see them available.
What “specific” ZR1 chip are you looking for ?
The one from the SP model from GTPSP. It's a standard car from GTPSP that was only used in arcade mode (normally anyhow) and it has a unique white paint chip with no name next to it. The blue GTR is the same way.

I would post a picture, but I don't have time and I'll be going on vacation tomorrow so it may be a week before I post here again.

You get them by importing them from GTPSP into arcade mode. GT5 had a neat feature that allowed you to import your car collection from GTPSP by plugging your PSP into the PS3 and then importing them.
That is what I meant, you did import them from Gran Turismo PSP, so the data packet for those cars probably came hard coded to those cars and is the reason you cannot access them in GT Mode. If they are colors different from colors in GT5 then they are not in GT5, but if they are merely no-name colors identical to those in GT5 such as Alpine White or Bay Side Blue, without names, there very likely are no-name colors just like them in GT5 and I will keep looking for them as I go through more colors and add them to the list. There are a couple hundred no-name colors on the disc, some of them go to similar cars that may match up. I suspect that this is the case. I will try to get access to GTPSP and import them, since there are cars different from those in GT5. I didn't know there were unique cars that are different from GT5. :D

Last edited:
Back