The GT7 Livery Editor Competition #11 (Gradient Change) - CLOSED

• Thread starter Nuschel01
  • 89 comments
So, for a while I've wanted to base a series of designs on the cover 'art' from the Euphoria series of Dance compilations. It's not really 'art', they're all pretty simple, but I thought it might be fun... so this is the first.

And this is what the CD looks like...
1666453753788.png

This one is all about the gradient and not about the design.
I tried this gradient on many cars mainly concepts and VGT and it looked good on many cars but they were hard to do a design around without hiding all of the gradient so i settled on a car i was yet to work on.
Kept it simple and classic Subaru with the current GT300 mandatory sponsors on.

@Nuschel01 I've just edited my post (second time, apologies!) to add the download link to the livery - in the livery title. I keep forgetting to add the download links...

FINAL ENTRY

Went with the 993 since I've stockpiled a few of them and have been looking for an excuse to do a Carrera Cup style design. It started as a Dupont sponsored livery based on one I'd made in Forza a while back, with the gradient meant to be a showcase of different paint colors the company offered, but I stumbled upon some Shell logos and thought the colors of a combusting hydrocarbon would look neat.

Most difficult part about making this one was the masking; the white you see on the main body are decals, and getting everything to line up nicely along the roof/deck lines was an exercise in patience. One of those situations where it looks fine from one angle, but totally off from another and you sit there making tiny adjustments while hoping the decal doesn't scale or warp in a funky way. :lol:

Final Entry
PS5 Raytracing

I've been traveling a bunch and have missed the last couple contests and almost missed this one too. But on the road at a rest stop in the middle of Nowhere, USA, I saw the Sunoco awnings and thought that'd make a cool livery.

I also wanted another go at the Ford GT as I wasn't happy with the last one I made. It's long & low stance made it work for the very long gradient(s) treatment of the Sunoco brand.

FINAL ENTRY

This is based on the Don and Roy Gay Infinity III fuel altered/funny car from the 60s, an era of drag car liveries I love. Sorry about the "screenshot saved" caption, I was rushing to catch a plane when I messaged the screenshots and didn't notice, I'm away from the PS4 for a week now, so I can't retake.

Don Gay was 15 when he 'borrowed' a car from the family dealership to race (and win) at the local drag strip, while his parents were on holiday. His father Carl decided that he had no choice other than to buy the drag strip. There's a history of the family's central role in Texan drag racing here, and some photos of Infinity 3 and 4 below.

Last edited:
How did you do the turned gold leaf? It looks very convincing.
Cheers for saying so :). That was one of the challenges on this one, when I get back I'll share it. Basically each thumb turn is a pattern of 4 'petals', I nicked the idea from Tolhas and his brilliant amplifier knobs. The vertical petals are darker than the horizontal ones, which gives the illusion of a shiny circular surface. In addition these are transparent, which enhances the effect when the car is in motion. I'll break it into vertical and horizontal so you can apply colours/transparencies that work best on your base colour. What I'm going to share will be usable under solid masks, it's 64 'flowers' each row, 2nd rows are shifted right and down enough that the imaginary thumb turns are interleaved, and then 32 pairs of rows.

I'd hand coded that to keep file size down (it's only 1Kb) intending to lay a <cutPath> over the top, but it doesn't work in GT! Because my mask is transparent to get the candy-apple effect, the pattern shows through, so it needs to be cut to the letters. Ended up importing to Vectornator, undoing all the nested groups, then cutting to get the lettering in 10 decals (5 vert and 5 horizontal). I'm just showing off at this point, so thanks for the 'in' :)

Last edited:
I went with the Mazda smokey rose mica base color and transparent geometric shapes to give it some depth from different angles. I had a lot of fun doing this one. Not nearly as stressful as the Metal Gear Lambo and I even finished early! Kind of lol.

How did you get the puma logo to flip correctly to the other side? It won’t allow me to do that!
"Duplicate symmetrically" is what you're looking for. If it's the preset decals it might not let you so you might have to search for the logo and then use duplicate symmetrically.

Yup. I tried using the stock decal and it wouldn’t let me. Thanks.
Flip horizontally should work as well, but did you try both duplicate functions? One of them will do this.

Last edited:
Flip horizontally should work as well, but did you try both duplicate functions? One of them will do this.
Some of the functions are disabled for some the preset decals, like the freeform scale functions (skew/tilt) and creating mirror images. They also disable the recolour function on a number of them.

Back