The GT7 Livery Editor Competition #12 (The Left is not the Right) - CLOSED

• Thread starter Nuschel01
  • 87 comments
  • Livery must be noticeably different in design on drivers and passenger side of the car.
  • No simple colour swaps between sides (so no red text on white background in one side and white text on red background on the other).
@Panoz it's a fantastic livery, but in my opinion doesn't comply to the rules :(

THE LEFT IS NOT THE RIGHT
full

Image courtesy of @Cytoria

THIS MONTH'S THEME

Forget about that "Dupicate to other side" feature of the livery editor! Last winner @ziggedzag chose this theme which was originally proposed by @Noisy for GTS LEC #19. Let's recap what Noisy said about this theme:

"I want to challenge our designers and take them out of their comfort zone.

Design a livery that is asymmetrical, that is different in design on one side compared to the other.

The design should be noticeably different on the drivers' and passengers' side of the car with a transition on the top of the car. Asymmetric designs are quite uncommon in racing and it would be great to see what people can come up with. Good luck!"

Please read the rules below to make sure you don't miss anything when you post your entry, as ignoring them can get you disqualified.

CARS:
  • Any

BODY PARTS / WIDEBODY:
  • Allowed

LIVERIES:
  • Original or replica desgins

UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS:
  • Livery must be noticeably different in design on drivers and passenger side of the car.
  • No simple colour swaps between sides (so no red text on white background in one side and white text on red background on the other).
  • No split designs i.e. 1999 BAR F1 influenced designs.
  • Sponsor logos and number plates can be symmetric.

BONUS PICTURE SETTINGS:
  • None

USER MADE DECALS:
  • Allowed

GENERAL COMPETITION RULES

ENTRY SUBMISSION

• The only way you can take part is to be a member of the GTPlanet forums. If you haven't created your account yet, click here.
  • Mark your FINAL ENTRY clearly, with red text.
  • Unsure how to? Copy and paste the following: [COLOR=red][B]FINAL ENTRY[/B][/COLOR]
  • One entry per user. It must be your own work, and never previously used in a competition.
  • You may change your entry once. Do it clearly; edit out your previous entry, and either post the new one in a new reply, or in place of the original.
  • Do not post "Honourable Mentions" or outtakes - just your Final Entry, that's all.
  • Absolutely no entries which utilise edited/hacked file saves.
  • Winner gets to choose the following month’s theme.
  • Winners cannot enter their own theme!
  • The organisers may ask for the original image/livery and it must be submitted if so.
  • It's recommended to share the original livery online (in-game) to prove it’s your work.

ENTRY PRESENTATION
  • All images shall have preview images which may not exceed 640 pixels in either direction (main and bonus pictures).
  • You have to post two main pictures of your entry using the mandatory location and settings as shown in the quote below.
  • You are allowed to post two bonus pictures in a spoiler ([SPOILER]...[/SPOILER]) with free location and settings (unless the unique restrictions of the week’s theme specify something else).
  • You have to make one post with ONLY the set allowed number of pictures and the FINAL ENTRY (see above) mark. If you want to add precisions/background story/links, you are allowed to double-post under your entry, but please put all additional images in a spoiler. The best way to do it will be to "reply" to your own post.
  • It is recommended you host your image either here on GTPlanet (via the Media section), or on Flickr
  • Not sure how to submit your image? Here's a guide for both methods mentioned above.
  • Do not attach your phots directly to your entry post.
  • A preview image must be representative of the full-size image. Do not add effects to it.
  • Please use a clickable-preview to full-size, not a separate text link for it; it makes poll creation much easier!
  • No post-game editing of any entry image is allowed.
  • Mark your entry with which platform you're on and which mode you're using, whether it’s taken on PS4 Base, PS4 Pro, PS5 Raytracing or PS5 Framerate.

MANDATORY PICTURES
  • You have to post a front and a rear quarter view of your car:
    • Mandatory Scape: S&Company East, Saitama, Japan (scape number 5)
    • Focal Length: ~80mm ±5mm
    • Aperture: f5.6 or f8.0
    • Shutter Speed: 1/1 Second
    • Exposure Correction: +0.5 to +1.0
  • Do not use any Filters or Effects at all and only the camera setting above within the allowed limits; the pictures are supposed to be as equal as possible for all entries and not give anyone who is a bit more savvy with the Scapes Camera an advantage! Try to stay as close as possible to how the video shows the shot to be taken!

NOTE: if you have previously entered, just go to Scapes > My Library > click your previous entry > Open Scapes > change car to the new entry, refocus and snap a new photo. No need to reposition the camera/car unless its proportions are wildly different.

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this competition. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me, Matski or any other participant you feel comfortable reaching out to.

PLEASE NOTE: Repeat offenders will be disqualified. If your entry doesn’t match the rules you will be made aware of it at least once, so please keep an eye out for any notifications reaching your profile.

DEADLINE

November 14th 2022 - 23:59 UTC

does it have to be a race car only or road cars are eligible? :)

I hope it fits the rules.

So was looking for inspiration and was drinking a red bull.
Then this idea came into my mind.
Hey people are mixing this with alcohol,so why not create a livery from it?
First i was thinking about a Wodka brand,but then i saw a well know expresion on a add "Winter is Coming".
Jagermeister suits better the time of the year,so i gave it a try.

I call this livery the Jagerbomb,because we call the drink that way over here.

I hope it fits the rules.

So was looking for inspiration and was drinking a red bull.
Then this idea came into my mind.
Hey people are mixing this with alcohol,so why not create a livery from it?
First i was thinking about a Wodka brand,but then i saw a well know expresion on a add "Winter is Coming".
Jagermeister suits better the time of the year,so i gave it a try.

I call this livery the Jagerbomb,because we call the drink that way over here.
Nice idea mate.
By the way, Red Bull founder Didi Mateschitz is dead.
I.R.B.

I think this one fits the rules.

Didn't have any ideas for this competition but yesterday this one suddenly came out. Wanted to do something with 7up for quite a while now and then I decided to include another drink from the Dr.Pepper group and chose Schweppes because the yellow creates a nice contrast.

Not 1 panel is the same on this car on either side.
Bonus pics make the colour pop much better again.

FINAL ENTRY

PS4 Base
I really struggled with inspiration for this one, I started with a Batman comic themed livery, but it just didn’t feel right so after Googling for ideas I came across the picture below and for some reason it made me think of doing a ripped paintwork style livery using Gucci as the sponsor. Replicating the bits of the number and the Gucci logo on the torn bits took many attempts, but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.

Livery Link

Last edited:
When I made the black side of this one i wasn't planning on this entry.
Not 100% happy with it but dont have any more time to spend on this one due to some other projects i want to do

If this looks a little familiar, it's because it was the car I was working on when I entered the GAMING LEC with a Geoguessr livery! That entry took about an hour... but I've been working on this for 4+ years! I started it early on during GT Sport, and never got it finished... it was one of a couple of liveries I was struggling to finish and gave up on when the world starting going to ****. Since I last worked on this I've endured crippling work pressure thanks to Brexit, split up with my GF, my Mum's died, my best friend's died, we've had a global pandemic, and lurched closer to nuclear war than ever before! Thought it was about time to get it finished!

The original car was a BMW M1, which raced at Le Mans in 1980. I don't have that many good photo's of it, so I've worked almost entirely from the 1/18th die-cast I have of it, which I dropped at one point, so that's now got a broken engine cover and wing.

1667057315505.png

Interestingly Marcel Mignot, one of the drivers, also drove the Lichtenstein and Warhol art cars.

I ended up figuring out which bits of France were represented, and tracing them from Google Maps to make the coastline. The map on the real car is actually quite badly distorted (to 'work' I guess), so I figured starting with what it actually should look like was the best bet, but it's ended up still needing to be fudged together to fit the VGT shape and still look like the M1 design. I made it harder for myself than it should have been, but it's harder than you might think.

If this looks a little familiar, it's because it was the car I was working on when I entered the GAMING LEC with a Geoguessr livery! That entry took about an hour... but I've been working on this for 4+ years! I started it early on during GT Sport, and never got it finished... it was one of a couple of liveries I was struggling to finish and gave up on when the world starting going to ****. Since I last worked on this I've endured crippling work pressure thanks to Brexit, split up with my GF, my Mum's died, my best friend's died, we've had a global pandemic, and lurched closer to nuclear war than ever before! Thought it was about time to get it finished!

The original car was a BMW M1, which raced at Le Mans in 1980. I don't have that many good photo's of it, so I've worked almost entirely from the 1/18th die-cast I have of it, which I dropped at one point, so that's now got a broken engine cover and wing.

View attachment 1204317

Interestingly Marcel Mignot, one of the drivers, also drove the Lichtenstein and Warhol art cars.

I ended up figuring out which bits of France were represented, and tracing them from Google Maps to make the coastline. The map on the real car is actually quite badly distorted (to 'work' I guess), so I figured starting with what it actually should look like was the best bet, but it's ended up still needing to be fudged together to fit the VGT shape and still look like the M1 design. I made it harder for myself than it should have been, but it's harder than you might think.
wow, it's thrilling when someone takes on a real challenge, old car with limited coverage - check, translated to a different bodyshape - check, asymmetric - check, detailed design - check, design transitions over 90 degrees on the surface (meaning back and forth creating decals, trying them out, taking in-game photos to import to vector editor, edit decal, repeat) -check. I can believe that took a while :)

Last edited:
I was still trying to find an idea just in case.. Since I'm not really interested in the new LEC, I didn't want to skip two in a row, so here it is.

I like sugar, not tobacco. So what if Coca-Cola sponsored McLaren Honda instead of Marlboro, with a Caffeine free twist. I know, another drink livery. Sorry :boggled:

wow, it's thrilling when someone takes on a real challenge, old car with limited coverage - check, translated to a different bodyshape - check, asymmetric - check, detailed design - check, design transitions over 90 degrees on the surface (meaning back and forth creating decals, trying them out, taking in-game photos to import to vector editor, edit decal, repeat) -check. I can believe that took a while :)
Thanks man ;)

Back