The GT7 Livery Editor Competition #21 (Carrera Panamericana) - CLOSED

• Thread starter Nuschel01
  • 129 comments
Just want to thank you for using my image in OP :cheers: :gtplanet: :bowdown: :gtpflag:
I didn't know you had an account here; usually when it's a last minute thing again putting everything together I just browse through the presentation room of GT7 and search for a photo to have @MatskiMonk make a header from and then just link the image source. If I know the person has a GTP Account I link them directly, but obviously you can't know anyone here :D

As per @huff's suggestion, that's about all there is too it!

The image of Peron on the bonnet is 21 pieces, actually didn't take that long. Of the source pictures online there's a few variations, with very little in the way of customisation for the 356 in GT7, it's basically stock.

edit: Link for livery

Last edited:
I enjoyed making this livery, I've been a fan of the Pan-American road rally for decades. I still my Pink Floyd video VHS tape documentary from the 1990's. I wanted to set up a fantasy team with Micheal Andretti & Johnny Herbert taking on the legendary road rally.

... I think I'll be half-arsing this one again.
FINAL ENTRY

En Memoria de 'Eva Peron'

PS5 Raytracing
"Look on my works and despair" - I mean seriously, if this is half-arsed.... :)

Did you scan or draw the Peron decals?

Last edited:
"Look on my works and despair" - I mean seriously, if this is half-arsed.... :)
Ha, my original idea was a bit half arsed, when I realised actually it was going to take me a while to make the decals I thought I'd give this a go instead.

Did you scan or draw the Peron decals?
The portrait used originally is on google but there were some differences (like she's wearing a necklace in the original portrait), I tweaked it a bit in photoshop, then used the autotrace feature in CorelDraw. I had to slice it up to 20 tiles to meet 15kb, and since the edges of each tile seemed noticeable in the game I placed a super low res version behind it to fill the gaps.

edit: This is only the second time I've used an autotrace on a livery.

ep.png

It actually took much longer to do the text since I didn't have the fonts.

Last edited:
Ha, my original idea was a bit half arsed, when I realised actually it was going to take me a while to make the decals I thought I'd give this a go instead.

The portrait used originally is on google but there were some differences (like she's wearing a necklace in the original portrait), I tweaked it a bit in photoshop, then used the autotrace feature in CorelDraw. I had to slice it up to 20 tiles to meet 15kb, and since the edges of each tile seemed noticeable in the game I placed a super low res version behind it to fill the gaps.

View attachment 1242478

How did you do the Text...are this the letters that are in the livery editor per default or did you download each letter seperatly ?

Last edited:
I've been working on mine for a bit but have lost it twice due to saving errors. It's really not good enough to build three times, haha.
Welp, just lost mine for the third time. No idea why but this livery does not want to exist.

Welp, just lost mine for the third time. No idea why but this livery does not want to exist.
My livery for the Black & White comp is similarly cursed. It either won't load, or it won't save, rebuilt it twice, still won't work.

I wasn’t happy with some of the details on this. Removed the front and side splitters as they ruined lines of the car. Added some more of the series compulsory sponsors and included a new bonus pic to show the tidier side profile.

View attachment 1242478

Cheers for the detailed explanation :cheers:, the low res background scan is a top tip. I've been trying to autotrace photos/portraits (in Vectornator), but struggle with colour scans, they end up too massive to even cut up, or look crap. Yours looks great. I know this is only your 2nd autotrace, but could I ask whether you have default settings to keep things small-ish (no. of colours, contrast, 'smoothing'/simplifying)? Is it a case of trial and error depending on the picture being auto-traced? I don't know what settings Coreldraw has for auto-trace.
I feel your pain, I lost 3 liveries in a row after the last update went out, then the backups when I tried to edit them. One thing I always do now is 'create livery from existing' instead of 'edit livery', helps a bit.

Cheers for the detailed explanation :cheers:, the low res background scan is a top tip. I've been trying to autotrace photos/portraits (in Vectornator), but struggle with colour scans, they end up too massive to even cut up, or look crap. Yours looks great. I know this is only your 2nd autotrace, but could I ask whether you have default settings to keep things small-ish (no. of colours, contrast, 'smoothing'/simplifying)? Is it a case of trial and error depending on the picture being auto-traced? I don't know what settings Coreldraw has for auto-trace.
Trial and error for the most part.

Untitled123.png

64 colours, 6500 nodes and 353 curves works out as about 180kb. I know how CorelDraw will write this SVG, so I know it won't be efficient. Very roughly speaking dividing that file size by 15kb, then doubling it, would tell me roughly how many pieces it's going to be at the end. As default it wants to use about 200 colours, but in my experience, you just don't see the benefit of it on the car. If I maxed out the settings I'd end up with about 100 pieces to put on the car... ain't nobody got time fo that.

Generally for something drawn from scratch I'd anticipate getting about 2300 nodes in a 15kb file, but the nature of this type of autotrace makes it so much less efficient.

The prominent edges visible in the trace necessitated the low detail background image, if the pieces of the image are run through SVGOMG at low detail settings this gets more obvious.

As ever, I'll stress that different applications write SVG XML to differing degrees of efficiency. CorelDrawX3 has always been pretty sensible, I've not used vectornator, but if it writes inefficient XML, you could easily double the file size with this kind of trace.

Trial and error for the most part.

View attachment 1242764

64 colours, 6500 nodes and 353 curves works out as about 180kb. I know how CorelDraw will write this SVG, so I know it won't be efficient. Very roughly speaking dividing that file size by 15kb, then doubling it, would tell me roughly how many pieces it's going to be at the end. As default it wants to use about 200 colours, but in my experience, you just don't see the benefit of it on the car. If I maxed out the settings I'd end up with about 100 pieces to put on the car... ain't nobody got time fo that.

Generally for something drawn from scratch I'd anticipate getting about 2300 nodes in a 15kb file, but the nature of this type of autotrace makes it so much less efficient.

The prominent edges visible in the trace necessitated the low detail background image, if the pieces of the image are run through SVGOMG at low detail settings this gets more obvious.

As ever, I'll stress that different applications write SVG XML to differing degrees of efficiency. CorelDrawX3 has always been pretty sensible, I've not used vectornator, but if it writes inefficient XML, you could easily double the file size with this kind of trace.
Cheers again, the scan has more colours than I expected (or maybe hoped) actually (in terms of keeping things small). Main drawback in Vectornator is no control over number of colours, you get files which are 10s of megabytes with countless tiny, unnecessary curves/shapes. I tried identifying and deleting them once, never again. I'm trying 'sketch' (mono) scans with different contrasts and layering them now, so I wondered how many colours would be in a scan like that.

Cheers again, the scan has more colours than I expected (or maybe hoped) actually (in terms of keeping things small). Main drawback in Vectornator is no control over number of colours, you get files which are 10s of megabytes with countless tiny, unnecessary curves/shapes. I tried identifying and deleting them once, never again. I'm trying 'sketch' (mono) scans with different contrasts and layering them now, so I wondered how many colours would be in a scan like that.
You could try reducing the number of colours in the image in Photoshop/Gimp first, before tracing, if you can't do it during the trace.

What platform are you using, PC, Mac, tablet etc?

For vectornator I go to Vectorize!.io and set it to less color, screen grab and go from there. Sometimes I just pay for a month of Vectorize!.io if I have a few things I want made. Vectornator auto trace is so fickle, it works sometimes, others it just gives a soupy mess of colors.

Damn, I love this theme and picked it so I could design it. Halfway through the design I forgot I can't enter lol.

I'm loving the entries so far! Keep it up!

Back