The "HFS needs to get fit" thread

Great start!

Couple of pointers, sorry they're from my phone.

1) Distances and routes.
Get on google maps and try to pick out three routes, even if they overlap considerably. The shortest (say 3km) will be your "sprint" (The "I really want to run but haven't got much time"). This is usually about 20 mins long. The median about 5km or 30 minutes. This is your normal evening run. And the longest (8km or 45 minutes) is your weekender, when hopefully you've got some spare time.

This helps vary your routes some what and makes it more convenient. Adjust distance to suit the times.

2) Technique.
I don't support vibrams or any of this natural running, but there's a lot to be said for casual runners impacting further towards your toes. This will ruin your calf muscles at first so save it for shorter jogs, but I believe it reduces chance of shin splints and impact injuries.

3) Nutrition
I'm particularly sensitive to this personally but others are not. A poor set of carbs at lunch (like a visit to Greggs) will always leave me feeling groggy when I jog in the evening. If you can't get a decent lunch grab some fruit or chocolate an hour or two before running.

4) Sprints
An easy improv' on sprints is to simply run lampposts. They're at regular intervals and easily found (newer roads are ideal). Decide early on what you can manage. E.g. sprint 1, walk 1, jog 1 and repeat. Eventually building upto sprint, jog, sprint, jog.

5) Don't stop.
I can't stress this enough. Never stop. I don't care if you're walking or crawling, but on a run stopping is not an option. I had one running buddy that would use her cleavage to convince me stopping was a good idea, ample as it was, it didn't help. 4 years later we ran a marathon together and she beat me by 15 minutes.

6) Listen to your body.
Aches are one thing, but if it causes you to run differently then it's possibly more serious. Do stretches after a run and see which areas are tight or inflexible.

Thanks for all that 👍 Could you expand on #2? I presume you mean running further forward on your foot so more of the pressure of each step is being absorbed by the ankle rather than the whole leg?

#5 I've already been heeding, as I learned that one when I used to do cross-country at school!

#6 Is already an improvement even after two runs. The day after my first run I could barely walk, but this morning, after my second, I'm absolutely fine. That first run is often the worst.

Thanks for all that 👍 Could you expand on #2? I presume you mean running further forward on your foot so more of the pressure of each step is being absorbed by the ankle rather than the whole leg?
This image (sadly from a bare footed running site) shows it quite well.

Vivo-Barefoot-Shoe-Foot-Strike-Explanation.jpg

It'll mean shortening your stride a little but I believe it's a better way to run.

'#5 I've already been heeding, as I learned that one when I used to do cross-country at school!
👍

#6 Is already an improvement even after two runs. The day after my first run I could barely walk, but this morning, after my second, I'm absolutely fine. That first run is often the worst.
You need to start running faster and further if you're 'absolutely fine' after ;)

Hah. I think it was more a case of better cooling-down after the last run - the mile walk back home was probably gentler than having a few stretches, getting back in a car and then driving home.

And going back to #2 (sorry for the persistence but I just need to clarify!), are you advocating a slightly different running style, or some shoes that help with such a running style, or both?

My trainers are... well, they're standard, kinda-cheap trainers. They're a bit rigid but fit me well, though I suspect I'm not running on the balls of my feet in them. Will have to try a slightly different technique next time. Stride length shouldn't be much different realistically as I'm certainly not running flat-out at the moment.

Standard running trainers will be fine*, with a slightly altered running style. If you run up a hill you will naturally run on your toes. Just maintain the same impact point on the flat too.

*I've never bought expensive running shoes, and see little need to. I know some people buy waterproof (Gore-Tex like) trainers for better money but simple Asics have done me well over the years.

**There's a trend at the moment for "bare foot like" running which involves wearing a rubber-glove like item over your foot. It's sold as a more "natural" way to run because the lack of heel cushioning forces you into running on your toes. And this is great if you run on grass or sand or any other common, cushioned, natural surface. But tarmac, concrete and running tracks are not natural surfaces so it's beneficial to provide some cushioning for the foot as found in your typical running shoe.

Gotcha, thank you. I had a look into the brand you mentioned before and then realised the sort of things you were on above - a sort of gloved trainer with individual toes. To be honest, those are about five times what I'd spend on a pair of trainers so they'd be out anyway!

It's not so much that the type foot strike (forefoot, midfoot, rearfoot, heel(heel is the worst but others are generally okay)) is important but rather that you have a short quick stride and your foot contacts the ground closer to your body rather than further out in front of you. I wouldn't concentrate on what part of your foot strikes because you will likely change things as you run and become injured. Instead, focus on short quick strides minimizing the time your foot contacts the ground. This will do enough to help minimize ground reaction forces and reduce injury risk. The most important thing for reducing injuries though is starting with low mileage/low intensity and slowing building up, increasing your mileage by 5-10% per week, for a beginner closer to 5% is better.

For shoes research shows shoe type and foot type don't really matter. Just try on as many pairs as you can hopefully at a store that will let you run a short distance in them and go with what feels the most comfortable. If you buy them and realize after a run or two they don't feel comfortable return them and try something else.

Was out again today and tried to consciously note how I was running. I don't think I run too hard on my heels and at the moment at low-ish pace my strides aren't too long either.

Did similar sort of distance today, plus the 1-mile walk either end as before. Managed more than a lap to start with this time which is good, though still flagging past a certain point.

At the moment I'm trying to work out the best point on my route to start, and best direction to go. It's on an ever-so-slight slope, and hitting the uphill sections before I'm fully into my stride seems to be unduly tiring!

Is running seen to be the best way to get fit? I've always been tempted to but I go on my bike if I want to get some extra exercise. I'm always worried about the bad things I've heard that running on hard surfaces does for your knees and ankles etc.

Cycling is great but you..

A) have to invest in a bike and gear
B) have to invest more time
C) Not get hit by a car

It's a nice change to running though, but doesn't meet HfS' s requirements.

I've tried cycling in the past but despite repeated attempts to "get" it, it just doesn't appeal as much as running. The extra gear is part of it, then there's having to store the bike somewhere (not a problem at the moment, but could be when I get my own apartment), and then there's the fact that roads are just a pain in the backside to navigate when you're on a bike.

Apart from in Milton Keynes, but I'm not moving there just for the sake of cycling...

Running just works for me. Minimal equipment, I do a lot of walking anyway so I can build up from that, and I can do it basically anywhere without carting stuff around with me.

Anyway, run #5 happened this morning.

Only did 2k this time, which sounds a bit pathetic, but it was prefixed and suffixed by a mile walk again, so it's better than nothing. Tried extra warming-up today but still managed to get a stitch in the middle of lap 2. Is there any surefire way to warm up to avoid stitches (i.e. any techniques for stretching upper body muscles), or is it just one of those things that's happening because I'm generally a bit unfit?

It can be fitness level, running at a speed too fast for your current abilities, poor breathing habits while exercising, eating too much food/drinking too much fluids before running, etc. Hard to say the exact reason. When it happens try slowing your pace and really concentrating on your breathing. I imagine it will get better with time. A stretch to try is raise arms straight in the air and then lean to the side and reach up and out as far as you can.

Is running seen to be the best way to get fit? I've always been tempted to but I go on my bike if I want to get some extra exercise. I'm always worried about the bad things I've heard that running on hard surfaces does for your knees and ankles etc.
Running is not harmful for your joints. Research actually shows it has positive benefits for knee cartilage.

Running is not harmful for your joints. Research actually shows it has positive benefits for knee cartilage.
That's not what the study said though.

It said that runners are no more likely, and potentially less likely, to develop arthritis as the impacts from running are less frequent and shorter than the impacts from walking over a similar distance (though the force is still considerably more). I don't deny that was surprising to read.

However, other injuries such as ligament issues are still more common amongst runners.

That's not what the study said though.

It said that runners are no more likely, and potentially less likely, to develop arthritis as the impacts from running are less frequent and shorter than the impacts from walking over a similar distance (though the force is still considerably more). I don't deny that was surprising to read.

However, other injuries such as ligament issues are still more common amongst runners.
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same study, I'll try to find the info. Not sure what you mean by ligament injuries being more common as ligament injury rates are low in runners. Are you referring to tendons?

Edit: 2009 Osteoarthritis Cartilage article found no difference in cartilage volume after running a 5K, 2006 Am J Sports Med article found no difference in cartilage volume between 5K, 10K, 20K and that cartilage volume takes 12 hrs to recover full volume after a 20K run, essentially doing it's job. A 14 year study in Arthritis Research and Study found runners had 10% less incidence of osteoarthritis and 25% less pain than non-runners.

We shouldn't turn HFS fit thread into research on running anymore though. We can discuss it in PM's if you wish.

Last edited:
Thought I'd quickly update this as I haven't done so in more than a month.

The good news is that in that time, I've not yet given up going running. Probably go out twice a week, and have done since I started, so must be on about 14 runs or so now.

Definitely noticing an improvement. Still doing the same distance, but an increasingly small percentage of that distance is now walking. When I am walking, I'm trying to minimize the time - running/walking in 100m bursts for example. And I'm still walking to and from my "course" as it is, which is about a mile and a quarter each way, maybe a little more.

Little else to report, other than that. It strikes me that it'll take quite a while before I'm doing longer distances which is the eventual aim - I'd quite like to do the Great North Run (a half-marathon) in the next few years - but I may start increasing my own course to 5k soon and working towards that as a minimum. Some friends are doing it in 25-27 mins. I've no idea what my own pace is so no idea how realistic that is for me, but it's something to aim for.

This image (sadly from a bare footed running site) shows it quite well.

Vivo-Barefoot-Shoe-Foot-Strike-Explanation.jpg

It'll mean shortening your stride a little but I believe it's a better way to run.

Yes and no. "Barefoot" shoes are terrible for you. That's why Vibram settled the lawsuit against it. Shoe companies have distanced themselves from that whole minimalist fad, and for good reason. Your heel still shouldn't crash into the pavement at an extreme ankle with normal, structured shoes. If you run correctly, the ball of the foot should claw into the ground to pull you forward, rather than just be a support to spring off. It's easier to feel in a sprint, but it should naturally make the heel strike less severe (since the shoe and its heel cushion does its job) and should give you a feeling of bounding forwards as the shoe transitions to the forefoot.

HFS, I'm in the camp that says sprinting and walking are better for you than sustained jogging. Don't worry if you can't keep a jog going for long. When I started walking and sprints a while ago, it only took me like 2 outings before I could double my sprint distance without having to walk again for a breather. I think it's more fun too. Have to make sure no people are around though. A big man running fast is enough to scare folk.

Yeah, I'm actually figuring this out already. Between walking periods I'm running a bit faster than I would in a regular jog, and it's not nearly as tiring as I thought it'd be. I think partly because it's using energy more efficiently, more of each step is going into movement rather than being absorbed by the ground.

Not that I can keep up that speed for an entire jog, but in short bursts it seems fine. It's only taking me maybe 100 meters or so of walking to "recover" enough to start running again too, whereas before I was knackered for an entire lap of my course.

First thing I'm going to do is step up to 3 outings a week, from an average of 2. 2 is just long enough that it occasionally leaves large gaps and my body has gone back to its natural, slobby state...

Looking at the best sprinters to the best marathoners, their techniques are not far off from eachother. If you watch Alan Webb and Usain bolt, they really get into the ground and pull as well as push themselves forward. If they were wearing the flagship cushioned running shoes from any brand, they'd be heel striking, but not collapsing the foot and crushing their bodies through their heels if you know what I mean.

This guy seems to know what he's doing. Check him out at 3 minutes in:

I'm coming around to the intervals myself. That's pretty much all I've done as pre season cardio on the exercise bike and I'm feeling great for it.

Keep up the good work. And then start lifting ;)

Keep up the good work. And then start lifting ;)
Yeah, that's on the agenda too at some point. Even if I can get to the stage I was when I had my last warehouse job (it's amazing what shifting white goods around for 8 hours a day does for your fitness) I'd be happy.

So, an update.

The bad news: Not long after my last post in this thread - around mid-June - was Le Mans. I'd been doing well up to that point but five days camping broke my rhythm somewhat and I failed to go running again after that point.

In the following months, several other things - good and bad - were somewhat distracting my attention, so I either felt too tired, or not motivated enough to run. Bit of a spiral as you can expect, as once you get out of a habit, and the longer you leave it, the less motivated you feel to continue.

To top it all, I got a new job, moved further south, and took a while to settle in. And it turns out my new area isn't great for running - it's a small town with very few route options and no usable countryside as such to run around in.

The good news: I've not yet given up.

Now I feel properly settled into my flat - the job is going well, I have internet, I've got some sort of routine back - I've gone and bought this:

exercisebike.jpg

It's a half-decent quality one that would normally be above my budget but was reduced nicely in the January sales. It feels sturdy, it has a decent computer in it, measures the pulse, sets targets etc.

It's also positioned facing my computer screen/TV, so I can watch Youtube vids etc while I exercise. This should be less boring than running around the local area, less cold, and more measurable, so it should fit nicely into my routine. It's there, ready to use, whenever I want.

Several months without exercise mean I'm now well behind on my target to be fit by my 30th birthday, but at least I now have a perfect way of getting back into it.

Update time. Already liking the exercise bike so far. Seems easier on my body than running was (particularly my feet and knees, although admittedly the upper body is getting less of a workout) and I'm getting a bit more feedback too.

10964109_643623242432303_1922871480_n.jpg

That's today's effort. Nothing special for those of you who go biking 50km+ at a time, but not bad for me hopping on now and then for 15 minutes this afternoon and finishing with a 30-min blast. Average speed was somewhere around the 17km/h mark.

And the calorie figure neatly works off the crappy curry-for-one I had for dinner tonight...

Back