The "HFS needs to get fit" thread

homeforsummer

Bonbonbonbons!
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi all.

In two days time, I begin my 30th year on this planet (to clarify, it means I'm turning 29). Age doesn't really bother me - I look back at where I was in my 20th year and despite a decade of ageing I'm in such a better place these days.

However, I'm a long way from being as fit as I could be. I fairly regularly walk 2-3 miles in a day and when I'm not too busy, I can extend that to ten without even thinking about it. I walk briskly too, so my base level of health and fitness is okay.

I've never been a particularly sporty type though and I find that in terms of harder physical exertion, I flag pretty easily.

I was probably at my fittest around 22-23 years old. I had a fairly physical job at the time, essentially moving heavy white goods around for eight hours a day, and went running maybe two or three times a week. Good fitness and a decent body were the nice side-effects of that job. Subsequent jobs and other commitments haven't made it easy keeping fit though, so I'm looking to get back into it.

Stage one: Deciding what I want to do

Done this already. I'm most comfortable with running, and there are plenty of places to do so locally. So running is what I'll be doing. May also do a bit of swimming, but running is cheaper and more convenient than getting myself to the nearest pool however many times a week.

Stage two: Kit

Also done. I'd forgotten I'd already bought some trainers many moons ago (this leads me on to a different point further down), and I went and got some jogging pants and a breathable t-shirt today. Evidence:

0ffd5296b8e411e395d30ec7201e8182_8.jpg

If you guys guys have any good tips for extra running kit - from suitably portable mp3 players to step-counters to iPhone apps to whatever else, I'm all ears.

Stage three: Motivation

This is where you guys really come in. The thing I always, always struggle with, as someone not naturally inclined towards exercise, is to get motivated to get up in the morning (the best time work-wise) and actually get out there. That is why I've owned the trainers above for about a year without actually using them...

You can help in two ways. One, you can prod me in this thread and make sure I'm still doing it. And don't take any crap when I make excuses. And two, if you have any good motivational tips to get out there that you can share, please do so.

Stage four: Technique

Also, are there any tips you have for warm-up routines that are a good "introduction" to getting back into running?

In my current state of fitness I pretty much feel like I'm going to die after five minutes of running. Think it's a cardio thing mainly, so any good tips for helping that blood get pumping? Any foods I should be looking at to generally prepare me for more exertion?

So that's basically it. I'm posting this to have a sort of record of when I start - on the morning of my 29th birthday seems like as good a time as any - and will post updates on progress made. And as above, any tips, advice and encouragement will be greatly appreciated. I know there are some fit and healthy people on GTP so I'm open to suggestions!

Wait until your 30th. It's a nice round number. Then just before your 30th, think of another excuse to put it off for another year or another distinctive milestone. Contunue ad infinitum.

Stage three: Motivation

The first few weeks are the hardest, but once you get into a rhythm, it gets way easier.
It was like that for me a year ago working out, really tough to stick with it, but a few months in I looked forward to it each day.

Which reminds me that I really have to start doing something now...

Find something you enjoy doing to work out. I can't commit to going running or to the gym regularly, but I can play hockey 7/8 hours a week no problem.

Quite like running really, and I'm inept at general sports so it's one of the few I can really do!

Been considering a Shuffle, a) because it's cheap and b) I have an iPhone already so I won't use many features of most regular ones. Will look into the Nano though 👍

And yeah, motivation seems to come with time, but wondering if there's anything anyone does to really nail those first few sessions, particularly as they're invariably the hardest!

The Nano6 is baisically a Shuffle+, I chose it over a Nano 7 for athletic purposes.

And yeah, motivation seems to come with time, but wondering if there's anything anyone does to really nail those first few sessions, particularly as they're invariably the hardest!

Motivation is always the hardest part. Some people try and find a particular time of day when their schedule allows, just before work, getting home from work etc. But i've found that can work for a certain period of time, but sooner or later for what ever reason your schedule changes and you soon find yourself out of the loop again. Best just to do it when you feel like it. It can also feel like a chore if you try and do it at a set time every day. But i guess everyone is different in that regard.

For iPhone/Android apps, I've been looking at Zombies, Run! this week as motivation to get myself in gear.

Speaking of gear, yesterday I picked up a pair of Bluetooth headphones so I don't have to mess with cords when I bike, use the elliptical or if I ever decide to try running.

A friend told me about Zombies, Run! a while back, seems like a great incentive!
Motivation is always the hardest part. Some people try and find a particular time of day when their schedule allows, just before work, getting home from work etc. But i've found that can work for a certain period of time, but sooner or later for what ever reason your schedule changes and you soon find yourself out of the loop again. Best just to do it when you feel like it. It can also feel like a chore if you try and do it at a set time every day. But i guess everyone is different in that regard.
Part of my issue at the moment is not living in my own place, which means fitting around other peoples' schedules precludes just going for a run when I feel like it.

That'll have to wait until I find my own place, but that goes back to the "finding excuses" you hinted at above, which is why I'd rather pick a day and start there and then. Rather than saying I'll start in a month, or two months, when I move into a new place. By then, I'm already a month or two months behind...

I don't like running long distances, it's much too boring and my performance feels plateaued after a few months. I prefer working out at a local track:

Wind sprints. Something basic like 200m @ 80%, jog/walk 200m for 4 sets or so.

Ladder sprints. Something like 400m @ 70%, jog/walk 200m, 200m @ 80%, jog/walk 200m and 100m @ about 100%, jog/walk 200m. Lather, rinse repeat for 2 or 3 sets.

Accelerators. Do maybe 200m or 400m distances, start out at 50% effort for the first third, then 75% effort for the second third, and almost all out for the last third. You can also lower the effort % and do it as a warm-up activity.

Stairs. Either hit every step with the balls of my feet to work on fast-twitch muscles. Or skip a step and work on range of motion/plyometrics.

Lunges. 100m of walking lunges (I recommend not hitting your knees to the ground, ouch!), walk/jog 200m for 3 sets. This will help build stabilizing muscles, great range of motion to lengthen your stride resulting in less steps per run (they do add up over time).

Of course if you want to train for more endurance, just lengthen the distances. Instead of 200m and 400m, try 400m and 600/800m 👍

These were some of the cardio workouts I'd do when competing in High Jump in college 👍

HTH!

Jerome

Thank you - I'd actually vaguely considered doing track running but do need to do more research into the availability of local tracks. I like the idea of the varied speeds too - will look into tracks now as that sounds like a good option, even if it's only part of my regime.

Typically local tracks like at a high school/college are available after hours; early morning (7am-ish) or evening (5pm-ish). Or, generally when no one is using it or students are around to get in the way :lol:

Jerome

I don't know if you do or not but more and more people skip breakfast nowadays. Don't do that, eat when you get up, skipping breakfast doesn't help in anyway.

Typically local tracks like at a high school/college are available after hours; early morning (7am-ish) or evening (5pm-ish). Or, generally when no one is using it or students are around to get in the way :lol:
Just did a bit of a search - unfortunately local schools aren't as well-equipped here as they are over there - nearest proper track is 20+ miles away!
I don't know if you do or not but more and more people skip breakfast nowadays. Don't do that, eat when you get up, skipping breakfast doesn't help in anyway.
Half and half. I do have breakfast, but probably not as much as I should. Usually just a juice and a yoghurt, and something bready mid-morning to keep me going till lunch.

Really need to get back into having a bowl of cereal or something in the morning, and some fruit - so thanks for the breakfast reminder!

Biggest tip I'd give on the diet side of things is just to track everything you eat. Don't know if you have a smartphone but there's an app called Lose It available for iPhone and Android which is very helpful. It helps you see where your calories are coming from and make good decisions of where to cut calories and where it's OK to have the foods you like. I found for me it caused me to cut down on the amount of bread and other mindless calories I ate. I didn't have to deprive myself of any of the food I liked, but it was as simple as having carrot sticks with most meals instead of fries, chips (crisps?) or other carbs. It's not so much that carbs are this horrible thing but they're just so calorie dense in most cases and you can go a lot further adding vegetables to your diet for substance than with eating bread or pasta etc etc.

A typical breakfast for me is either an egg or two overeasy and a slice of toast, or if I'm running late an apple and a piece of cheese or something. Lunch I'll have a sandwich and carrot sticks, dinner I'll have some sort of protein, rice, and more vegetables. It's the kind of advice that everyone says but it is unbelievably important to eat a lot of vegetables. Sounds cliche but they really should make up half of your plate and it won't take long for you to begin craving them because of how much better they make you feel.

I don't know if it's true or just bro science but I heard somewhere that protein in the morning helps you feel more full throughout the day. I notice that if I have an egg and a piece of toast I feel more full than after having cereal/a muffin or whatever. That's the biggest thing about tracking your food, it's very easy to see what the impact of a couple cookies has on your diet. It's also very easy to see if there's somewhere you're having trouble and adjust it.

Would you rather take the top bun off the burger and have a beer with it, or have the burger with water? Similar calories either way, and when you work it out like that you don't have to feel deprived because as long as you make up for it by having vegetables instead of empty calories you don't really have to cut anything out of your diet. If you try to go without eating anything you like or resist your cravings you'll burn out at some point, which is why it's so important to eat in a way that treating yourself doesn't sink what you're doing.

All excellent points @Noob616 The only thing I'd add to that is maybe taking some Whey protein (with milk) right after your workout, within 15 min. 'they say'.

Jerome

I don't know if it's true or just bro science but I heard somewhere that protein in the morning helps you feel more full throughout the day. I notice that if I have an egg and a piece of toast I feel more full than after having cereal/a muffin or whatever.
Carbs get turned into energy much faster than protein and fiber meaning protein and fiber sticks with you longer. The diet my wife is on (and I did well with until I got off track) consisted of next to no carbs and large amounts of protein. Of the three months I was on it, I want to say that there were only 3-4 days where I was actually hungry, despite only having around 1,500 calories/day, all thanks to the protein.

Just to clarify, as I didn't before, I'm more on the skinny side trying to bulk up than the weighty side trying to lose it by running.

This is very much exercise rather than dieting, though I do already know the benefits of a good diet on health.

The only think I know I need to cut down on is sugar.

TB
Protein will help with muscle development, too. :D
Oh, I get that, I was more referring to Noob's post which seemed to be focused on cutting calories.

Not that that's not a good idea either. I may be quite slim but I do have a bit of a beer gut.

For reference actually, as this may change, my current weight was pretty much bang-on 10 stone last time I checked, and I'm somewhere between 5'8" and 5'9" tall. I ran a BMI calculator and that weight/height for my age are pretty much smack in the middle of healthy - BMI is 21.2. Ideally I'd like to keep a similar weight, just with a bit less flab and a bit more muscle...

Edit: And of course, better fitness and stamina, which is the reason for the running.

Okay, first update.

I've not started anything yet (first run happens tomorrow morning) but after failing to find any nearby running tracks I've found the next best thing.

There's a park not far from here with various intersecting footpaths. By mapping out a particular route around those footpaths online, I've found a track that's essentially one kilometer long. Probably not exactly, so it isn't definitive, but means I have a good baseline for timing myself and doing multiples of a set distance. It's all flat too, so I'm not contending with hills in my unfit state!

So, 6am start tomorrow (normally 7am), head over to the "track", do a few laps to gauge my fitness, and take it from there.

I'm going to join you in getting fit. But because my body doesn't like me to run I confiscated a hometrainer which I will place in front of a tv with ps3 and ride the miles like that.

I used to be a demon on Wii Fit. If I can even get back to that stage I'll be happy...

Edit:

Update number two

Went for a run this morning, around the aforementioned route. Three laps, which means 3 km, or roughly 2 miles. Not a lot, but a good kick-off considering I've not been running in years.

Feeling surprisingly okay afterwards. Didn't get hugely out of breath. Did have to walk for some of it due to general unfitness - despite warming up I got a stitch on the third lap. Didn't time it, as I had no means to, but it seems like a good route so I'll definitely repeat that one in future.

Last edited:
Nice 👍 Not got the space for one of those.

Re-starting the running on Monday. Despite the run the other day being fairly easy at the time, my general level of unfitness has been highlighted by the fact my legs spent the next couple of days locked up. Few more runs and they should recover quicker.

I'll have to put in in a corner every time I'm done with it but it doesn't weigh all that much so that should be allright. Just done my first 30 minutes and it feels good. Now all I need is a couple of batteries so I can see the stats on the screen.

Hey HFS, don't be afraid to join us in the Running Thread. Run walking is a great way to start running and also increase the distance done in early single workouts. Setting goals helps to keep me motivated to keep training. Maybe start with something simple like reaching a certain distance without walking, running x times a week, reaching x miles in a single week or month. I also like to sign up for a race a month or two into the future to help me stay on track. After a while working out starts to become habit rather than something you have to convince yourself to do.

As for gear you can train in just about anything. You can spend tons of money on name brand running gear or find cheaper stuff that does the job almost as well without the cost. My gear is a mix of quality and Old Navy workout clothes. I spend a little more on things like jackets or pants and less on shirts or shorts. I like to be able to track distance and pace so phone apps like Run Keeper can come in handy there. You can also find GPS watches starting around $100, not sure on Euro/UK prices but similar I assume. Good luck and stay motivated.:cheers:

Thanks for the advice 👍 I've no idea how I missed that running thread actually, did a quick search before starting this but must have missed it. Regardless I'll be using this thread to keep track of my own progress as much as anything!

No races planned as yet while I'm essentially just getting my base level fitness back up. There's a weekly race/event in my town, 5 kilometers, which I'll start competing in as soon as I can comfortably do 5k on my own little route, and then I'll hopefully be able to work for better times. Luckily I've got a few friends who've done or who do the same 5k so I have their times to aim for...

Gear wise I've gone for fairly simple stuff. I like long pants and short sleeves, so I've gone for a breatheable t-shirt and a standard set of jogging pants. The t-shirt in particular worked quite well last time. The trainers were good too - they fit my feet pretty snug, so I quickly forget about them when I'm running, which is always a good thing. The one thing I may invest in is some lightweight gloves - it can get damn cold running in the mornings, and while my arms are fine (I get hot fairly easily so it's nice to cool off!) it's less good having frozen fingers. A haircut is also in order this week. My mop is beginning to get in the way.

Next run is tomorrow morning. First aim is to do the same 3k as before, but with less walking. If I'm still feeling good after 3k I'll push on for 4k.

Update number three

Well, run number two happened today. Contrary to this:
Next run is tomorrow morning. First aim is to do the same 3k as before, but with less walking. If I'm still feeling good after 3k I'll push on for 4k.
...I didn't make 3k without walking. In fact, it was pretty much the same as run #1. 1k of running without a problem, then quickly tiring and swapping walking/running for the next 2k. May be a pacing issue, partly. I've not run for quite a while so not found a comfortable cadence. I keep consciously slowing myself down after I've picked up pace.

On a more positive note, it wasn't just a run today. I walked the mile to my "course" and then walked a mile back afterwards. Suspect it contributed to some of the tiredness but hey, exercise is exercise.

Back