The Homosexuality Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Duke
  • 9,138 comments

I think homosexuality is:

• a problem that needs to be cured.

Votes: 88 6.0%
  • a sin against God/Nature.

Votes: 145 9.8%
  • OK as long as they don't talk about it.

Votes: 62 4.2%
  • OK for anybody.

Votes: 416 28.2%
  • nobody's business but the people involved.

Votes: 765 51.8%

• Total voters
Out of nothing but idle curiosiy, has anyone in this thread's opinion done a complete 180 on homosexuality?

i.e. to go from being homophobic, whether ignorant or malicious, to being accepting and understanding. Or even if someone used to be okay with it but now no longer is.

Here's my vote, my opinion backing this vote hasn't changed in the slightest

upload_2020-8-3_19-18-26.png

"In this thread's opinion" looks so strange. It has me wondering where the comma belongs, though I realize it doesn't require one. I know what's meant by it, but it made me take a moment.

Aaaaanyway...I haven't voted and don't intend to, but it's still not for me and I still don't object to it for others.

I was one of those poor souls who went for the ‘problem that needs to be cured’ back in the day. I was an ignorant fool with religious beliefs back then. I no longer hold those religious beliefs and I now think it’s OK for anybody.

Last edited:
Out of nothing but idle curiosiy, has anyone in this thread's opinion done a complete 180 on homosexuality?

i.e. to go from being homophobic, whether ignorant or malicious, to being accepting and understanding. Or even if someone used to be okay with it but now no longer is.
It's definitely a problem that needs to be cured... I can't get enough of it!

I was one of those poor souls who went for the ‘problem that needs to be cured’ back in the day. I was an ignorant fool with religious beliefs back then. I no longer hold those religious beliefs and I now think it’s OK for anybody.
This is interesting.

Would you say your religious belief influenced your opinion on homosexuality? Do you think you would have had the same view at that stage in your life if you weren't religious?

How many of today's crop of F1 drivers have come out?

DiResta at the British GP announced Albon had recently come out on his own.
My information is that there are 5 more, but I'm unclear as to which have come out on their own.

Last edited:
What's the difference between the bottom 2 choices anyway?
The one above the bottom is for those who assert (or wish to convey such) that homosexuality is okay for everyone, while the bottom is for those who assert (or wish to convey such) that it's nobody's business save for the parties involved. The former isn't necessarily covered by the latter, and one may reject homosexuality but acknowledge that it isn't their business how others feel.

If I had no issues with the idea of playing a role in someone's bandwagon fallacy, be it in support of or in opposition to the subject of homosexuality, I'd likely select the bottom option. I absolutely feel the one above it represents me, and I'd stand by it, but I acknowledge that it's none of my business, and I think that's more important.

I'd likely select the bottom option
Heh heh heh heh indeed.

It's been 7 or 8 years since I voted for "nobody's business but people involved", not really understanding the difference even then, but preferring that for sounding more assertive. Never been a fan of religious zealots to begin with, but felt particularly angry with them and their moral guardianship at that time.

This is interesting.

Would you say your religious belief influenced your opinion on homosexuality?
Yeah, that’s what it boiled down to.
Do you think you would have had the same view at that stage in your life if you weren't religious?
I think so. I’d like to point out that I was raised religious and I was in my early teens when I first voted in the poll. Even if my parents weren’t religious, I’m not sure if I would’ve been raised to accept homosexuality because it was unheard of in my family’s circles.

Yeah, that’s what it boiled down to.I think so. I’d like to point out that I was raised religious and I was in my early teens when I first voted in the poll. Even if my parents weren’t religious, I’m not sure if I would’ve been raised to accept homosexuality because it was unheard of in my family’s circles.
It's always good to get a chance to widen one's circle of understanding.

(Sorry.)

What's the difference between the bottom 2 choices anyway?

At the time, I voted for "nobody's business" as I felt it also necessarily included "it's okay for anyone," but added the layer of "people don't owe you an answer to the question."

In retrospect, it leaves room for the view of "it's wrong, but keep it behind closed doors, and we're good here," which is of course problematic.

So it is. I guess I glossed over that on re-reading them just now.
All good.

I think the last one is the most important. Second to last would be great, but it's also unrealistic. If everybody acknowledges the last one, nobody acts against others because they're homosexual.

So it is. I guess I glossed over that on re-reading them just now.

All good.

I think the last one is the most important. Second to last would be great, but it's also unrealistic. If everybody acknowledges the last one, nobody acts against others because they're homosexual.

I viewed the 2nd to last option as still passing judgment. I voted last because it's not up to me whether it's ok for anybody.

I viewed the 2nd to last option as still passing judgment. I voted last because it's not up to me whether it's ok for anybody.
Great point. I'm looking at "okay" as "not not okay", if that makes any sense. "It makes no difference to me. You be you." But you're right.

I'd have been inclined to go with the last one, as I previously indicated, but the decision has since been reinforced.

Could "passing judgement" be equally well described here as "having a view"?

If so, as sexuality is a subject that has had an affect on people's lives and culture and has been topical for longer than the duration of our lifetimes it would be uncontroversial to have a view.

Perhaps you would argue that any such view should be kept separate from one's answer to the poll?

Still not sure if "one" is a pronoun.
"one's" or "ones"?

Could "passing judgement" be equally well described here as "having a view"?

No.

If so, as sexuality is a subject that has had an affect on people's lives and culture and has been topical for longer than the duration of our lifetimes it would be uncontroversial to have a view.

I'd be surprised if anyone here didn't have a view of sexuality.

Perhaps you would argue that any such view should be kept separate from one's answer to the poll?

Since the poll is just trying to gather personal opinions, no again. I'd advocate for answering the poll truthfully.

Still not sure if "one" is a pronoun.
In the appropriate context, it is. It's an indefinite or "gender-neutral" pronoun.

"one's" or "ones"?
If you're inquiring about the possessive derivative, then it's the former. Unlike the possessive derivatives of the third-person personal pronouns ("his" and "hers") and the neuter ("its"), the apostrophe is used.

I never really understood the poll. It could be easier.. Like 'I don't like gays' vs 'I don't give a **** who you're banging'. I think it's interesting the poll has a religious perspective to it though.

My uneducated guess is that the world needed reproduction more back when the bible was written and at those times reproduction could be done in only one way. So they had to find ways to limit homosexuality. Then people really started believing it was a sin. Now we seem to be getting over that, which is good.

My uneducated guess is that the world needed reproduction more back when the bible was written and at those times reproduction could be done in only one way.
But then they wouldn't ask people to wait till they're married.

Back