The 'I didnt know that' Thread

• Thread starter MUSC4EVER
  • 717 comments
One of my favorite late 1990s, early-2000s cars is the Lincoln LS. As much as I like that car, I wasn't sure what Jaguar it was based off of as I kept being told of the LS being based on a Jaguar. I later found out it was based on the Jaguar S-Type (which I also loved).

It came out at the same time as the Jag, so you could just as easily say the Jag was based on the Lincoln. I think the retro Thunderbird of that era was also based on that platform.

Apparently it's Skanksgiving. Can't say I've heard of this before.

Courtesy of the Urban Dictionary

20201125_084148.jpg

If you recall the former G4 TV show "Arena," it was hosted by Lee Reherman. Other than the fact he passed away a long time ago, I didn't know he was Hawk on "American Gladiators."

Though acts certainly came about in other parts of the world, new wave has always had a very American feel to me, where other period alternative genres like punk and ska skew a bit more English, particularly the latter. Blondie were part of the New York and New England new wave scene in the '70s, the CBGB scene, if you will, and were accompanied by acts such as the Cars, Talking Heads, the Ramones, Patti Smith and Television.

There's a lot of great British bands, but Blondie is ours.

:P

I know Michael Schumacher was born the same month as me and has the same sign (Capricorn). What I didn't know is... Lewis Hamilton is ALSO a Capricorn (born January 7)! So two of the greatest F1 drivers ever are both fellow January Capricorns of mine. Capricorns of GTPlanet, represent! :)

I'm 10 years and 3 days older than Max (man, I feel old). If given good enough equipment, he may join the ranks of those Capricorns. Old man Kimi and Leclerc are also the same sign. Let's go Libras!

More of an 'I just noticed that'...

👍

...the thumbs-up emoji looks like the hand of a Simpsons character--yellow with three fingers and a thumb.

More of an 'I just noticed that'...

👍

...the thumbs-up emoji looks like the hand of a Simpsons character--yellow with three fingers and a thumb.
I refuse.

SpongeBob!

Cigarette filters are basically useless. Just bits of manky cellulose. They only turn yellow to give an illusion of filtration and were specially designed to do just that, turn yellow when in contact with smoke.

Cigarette filters are basically useless. Just bits of manky cellulose. They only turn yellow to give an illusion of filtration and were specially designed to do just that, turn yellow when in contact with smoke.

I didn't know that cigarettes are not healthy.

[/Sarcasm]

Rip the butt from a ciggy and smoke it. The filter is certainly not useless, it restricts the flow of smoke.
Being a smoker all my adult life I’ve had, on occasion, some smokes without a butt. It isn’t at all pleasant compared to a cig with a filter. It’s like inhaling a cigar.

Last edited:
The Renault Espace F1 is one of the most bonkers vans in history. That I know. What I DIDN'T know, however, was that Matra had a hand in its design and development. I thought Matra died out in the 1970s or something. Well, at least they were around long enough to aid in the development in the Espace F1 in 1995. I found this out when I do my usual themed weekly posts to my Facebook profile page to my Facebook friends/family.

Here's a trick I learned- hold down CTRL and click a link to open it in a new window. I usually make a Bookmarks HTML file where new tabs are done automatically upon clicking. I just didn't know you can hold down the CTRL key and click on a link to open a new tab to that link. Not sure if that works for all or most browsers, but I've done this in Chrome.

I didn’t know Dominos was a points based game until I decided that dominos would be good for maths class and we (class) should learn how to play the basic game.

If the domino you place down totals the sun of the unconnected dominos on all the other ends to multiple of 5, you score that many points. Winner is the first to 150 points.

I learned what a lanai is. I was curiously watching one of the "At Home With Coldwell Banker" home shows, namely "At Home in Florida" on YouTube. I kept hearing of these Florida houses with lanais. They are basically covered patios and pools that shield out some of the stuff like rain or (in Florida's case) unruly gators. A lanai can be thought of like a greenhouse, in the sense these are glass panels covering everything. Some lanais even have some storm shutters for when there's a storm or a hurricane. Must be pretty cool to live in a place like Florida and have a lanai for some uninterrupted relaxation.

I think Shirley Muldowney is one of the greatest racers of any discipline, let alone one of the best female racers. I didn't know her nickname is "Cha-Cha."

Somethings I didn't know until recently is:
1. Music videos on iTunes do not contain any kind of DRM. I strongly avoided buying videos on there because I bought a season of my favorite show once, only to be severely disappointed it could only be played authorized devices and I could not play it on my TV like I had planned to do. I thought music videos had this too, but I recently learned they don't and they can ultimately be played like any other video. This is great because not only do I like to own things over just downloading them from Youtube, especially since the songs in the videos sometimes differ from the actual album, but they have decent sound quality too!
2. Something I didn't become aware of until last week is the song "Johnny and June" by Heidi Newfield is actually referring to Johnny Cash and June Carter. I feel pretty dumb for not realizing this sooner because I have known the song since it was new and not once do I recall making the connection it was referencing them. I don't blame myself for not knowing about June Carter because I didn't know anything about her until recent years. Johnny Cash on the other hand, I have known about him for a very long time now and despite her saying "walk the line" twice in the chorus and it reminding me of Johnny Cash, I didn't realize it was actually referencing him. You would think I would have figured it out long before now, but it wasn't until recently I did.
3. Speaking of Heidi Newfield, I just learned a few minutes ago that she was the lead singer to the group Trick Pony.

Here is something I found out recently. The Porsche 928 has retractable headlights. Normally I am not fond of retractable headlights (unpopular opinion), but I noticed in a MotorWeek review from 1987 that the miniscule headlights on the Porsche 928 actually pop up.

Here is something I found out recently. The Porsche 928 has retractable headlights. Normally I am not fond of retractable headlights (unpopular opinion), but I noticed in a MotorWeek review from 1987 that the miniscule headlights on the Porsche 928 actually pop up.
Some Davrians had similar headlights.

Davrian%252520Mk4_1979.jpg

I gather they were inspired by the Miura, since I can't think of any others prior.

Back