The 'I didnt know that' Thread

• Thread starter MUSC4EVER
  • 717 comments
Being the uncool, not current old individual; I learned the dance you mostly see kids do is called the "floss dance," or just "flossing."

Something I didn't realize until today is the song "Two Pink Lines" by Eric Church is actually referring to a pregnancy test. For a long time, I wondered what the meaning of the title was, especially considering he said "Yea her daddy's going to kill me and that's a fact" at one point in the song. Now, I finally know what is and what's crazy is, I just realized it out of nowhere while listening to "Home Sweet" by Russell Dickerson, who just happens to mention those 3 words in the song.

If you are a college sports fan, you may have heard of the Silverswords of Chaminade University (a small religious NCAA Division 2 school in Honolulu HI). A long while back, I learned a silversword is a breed of flower indigenous to Hawaii/Hawai'i. Despite their namesake, silversword plants don't really look like swords at all.

I didn't know opening up fake McDonald's restaurants was a thing, but apparently that very thing happened
last year in Libya.

MAY 26, 2021
For numerous health code violations, the Libyan Food and Drug Control shuts down a fake McDonald's in Tripoli just days after it officially opened.

The Food and Drug Control Center in Tripoli has shut down a fast food restaurant that advertised itself as a ‘McDonald’s’ without the necessary licenses, citing several health code and safety violations.
Inspectors discovered expired food products among other things.

This fake McDonald's restaurant received 77 google reviews in the short time it was allowed to be open
and some of them were not happy with their experiences. Some excerpts from various reviewers:

First of all no idea if this place is original or not...
Beware, this is fake. It is very clear from the moment you step in, and from the taste of the product.
I have arrived at 5 and left at 6:30 without being served
Fake, as simple as that.
I wonder if this is the original McDonald's, as it's not the same quality. Unfortunately I've been there 2 times and each time I wait for over an hour and I don't get to order as the waiting line doesn't move.
...this has been a humiliation to the franchise.
PLEASE NOTE : THIS IS NOT REAL ACTUALLY A Macdonald
THIS IS FAKE
THIS A SCAM
Very bad services. Disrespect to the customers, staff by passing the queue numbering system giving priority to their friends and others have to wait for hours before they get there orders.
its a fake McDonald's
What a fake scam ... Shame on them for lying and pretending to be a real store . McDonald's should sue them and get.them shut down somehow.
This shall be closed ASAP
Not McDonald’s I guess

One reviewer posted a photo of his receipt and McDonald's is spelled incorrectly :lol:

libya.jpg

I didn't know opening up fake McDonald's restaurants was a thing, but apparently that very thing happened
last year in Libya.

Inspectors discovered expired food products among other things.

This fake McDonald's restaurant received 77 google reviews in the short time it was allowed to be open
and some of them were not happy with their experiences. Some excerpts from various reviewers:

One reviewer posted a photo of his receipt and McDonald's is spelled incorrectly :lol:

View attachment 1106310
I'm more amazed that there's people willing to wait for over an hour for fast food. :odd:

Today I learned that there is a Scottish group that covers songs with drums and bag pipes.

The band name:

Red Hot Chili Pipers

😂

I learned that what used to be The Family Channel is now Freeform. I found that out when I saw a video of an old kids game show whose name failed my memory. I looked up Wikipedia, and I found out The Family Channel eventually became what is now known as Freeform.

And in case you're wondering what kids game show from the past I was thinking of that I rediscovered, it was "Masters of the Maze."

I didn’t know (when I was a kid) that people got out of The Crystal Maze. I thought that if they failed the task they were imprisoned in the room forever.

Something I didn't know until yesterday is theirs a radio edit of the song "Any Man Of Mine" by Shania Twain that omits everything she says after saying any man of mine one last time and the rest of it is just the instrumental track. Known this song for a VERY long time and it's been an all-time favorite for me since at least my late childhood and I had no clue this version even existed. Always nice to find out about other versions of my favorite songs! :)

Chikorita isn't required to completed the National Pokédex in Ruby and Sapphire.

This seems to be an oversight as in Emerald: Lugia and Ho-oh are the non-Mythicals not required (which makes sense there given you can't catch them usually in any GBA Pokémon game)

Last edited:
In spite of their appearances, comb jellies are not jellyfish, but rather, ctenophores. Similarly, the Portugese Man-O-War is a siphonophore, not a jellyfish. That said, both of these taxa are said to be related to jellyfish.

Last edited:
I found out duck sauce is also called as or better known as orange sauce. I was looking for duck sauce, but the closest thing I could find is orange sauce. Now that I did a search online, I know to shop for some orange sauce next time I have egg rolls from my air fryer.

As I was watching a MotorWeek retro marathon recently, I learned Matchbox is a British company. Matchbox is famous for their amazing toy cars.

Cast items are created by heating a metal to liquid and then applying it into a mould.
Forged items are created by forcing a solid metal into shape, although heat may be used to soften it and aid the process.

So The One Ring “Forged in the fires of Mt. Doom” was actually cast, not forged.
And that exhausts the list of errors in Tolkien’s work.

Tortoises are turtles.

Some time ago my students remarked that turtles and tortoises must be related because they’re similar. I didn’t know the exact biology so we Googled it and found out that all tortoises are turtles, but turtles aren’t necessarily tortoises.

I didn't know until a year ago that Jurassic Park was an adaptation of a book. And that the book was darker and scarier. The characters are also different in some cases.

I recently read through it, a lot of parts in the book were cut and used in the sequels.

I didn't know until a year ago that Jurassic Park was an adaptation of a book. And that the book was darker and scarier. The characters are also different in some cases.

I recently read through it, a lot of parts in the book were cut and used in the sequels.
It’s one of the few books I read at school that wasn’t on the curriculum. I read it because I loved the movie so much. I might have to reread it now that I’m older.

It’s one of the few books I read at school that wasn’t on the curriculum. I read it because I loved the movie so much. I might have to reread it now that I’m older.
I honestly would recommend it, though I should say that I'm not a book expert. I just know that I liked reading it, I had a hard time putting it down. It's what I've been reading while working at a school myself.

I honestly would recommend it, though I should say that I'm not a book expert. I just know that I liked reading it, I had a hard time putting it down. It's what I've been reading while working at a school myself.
If you like the first book read the 2nd, the Lost World from Michael Crichton as well, quite different than the movie as well. He wrote some other famous book that were adapted into movies like Congo, Sphere, Rising Sun, Disclosure and some other more obscure movie from the 90's, 2000's. His book are usually really fun and easy to read, I really like most of them.

Back