The 'I didnt know that' Thread

• Thread starter MUSC4EVER
  • 717 comments
If you like the first book read the 2nd, the Lost World from Michael Crichton as well, quite different than the movie as well. He wrote some other famous book that were adapted into movies like Congo, Sphere, Rising Sun, Disclosure and some other more obscure movie from the 90's, 2000's. His book are usually really fun and easy to read, I really like most of them.
For sure, I was actually going to buy that soon. Part of the reason is that I sort of spoiled parts of the book myself a while ago by listening to parts of the book on Youtube. Some narrations gave me chills.

---
Though, I'm probably not going to read it right now as I kinda started on The Shining book. I also started on another book before that one.

Last edited:
Despite listening to Jason Aldean since Hicktown came out and being a big fan of him ever since, something I didn't know until today is he was once a part of a band called the Young Guns and even had an album from 1996. (confusingly named after his first studio album) I also learned he had some demo tracks that I have never ever heard of that weren't featured on any of his studio albums and what's cool is, they're all on Youtube so anyone can listen to them! :D

Man, now I have yet another CD I wish I had that I'll probably never get along with Maren Morris's early stuff. :lol:

Last edited:
If you blended the world's human population it would make a meatball the width of Central Park.

elycytqlc8g71.jpg

Last edited:
As someone slowly becoming more experienced with metric measurements, I didn't know Liberia and Burma/Myanmar are the only other nations besides the United States that uses imperial measurements.

Yup, but it's a mix. We buy beer in pints but petrol in litres... while making sure we do a good MPG. I always do DIY in mm unless I need to use 2x4" timber. I know I'm 5'10" and weigh 80kg, but I'd struggle to tell you that in mm and stone/lbs. Basically, we use both but some are understood better in metric and others imperial. :crazy: Good luck.

Last edited:
I didn't know until now that if you google Festivus, they actually place the Festivus pole on the page. :lol:
Festivus Google.jpg

Festivus Google 2.jpg

Oh and they still include icons representing the other holidays too on google.

Christmas Google.jpg

This one is a bit personal, but something very interesting I discovered last night when looking at a photo is apparently when I turned 7, I actually got what was probably my first Nerf blaster for my birthday back in 2000. Okay, Nerf is something I happen to like a lot, so much so that I made my own thread about it, and it's been a major hobby for me for many years now. This photo however predates the time I got into it by about 7 years and is one of the earliest known instances of me having anything Nerf-related. This is absolutely mind-blowing for me knowing I had a blaster long before I even much interest in Nerf and what I thought was my first one, was probably my 2nd in reality! 🤯

Sadly, I don't have it anymore and I don't know what could have happened to it, otherwise, I'd probably have it in my collection somewhere. In fact, despite knowing about the blaster for ages now, I have absolutely no recollection of ever owning it, but I do have a picture in an old photo album confirming its existence. I know one thing though, if I didn't have any incentive to get ahold of this particular one, I sure do now.

Last edited:
I didn’t know that airport runways were numbered to reflect their bearing in relation to magnetic north, and that Canadian runways, which are closest to the continually shifting magnetic north, used mathematical north as it’s fixed bearing and they don’t have to make adjusts every so often.

That means there are 2 different systems of runway numbering. Being a pilot must require some serious maths/physic knowledge.

I didn’t know that airport runways were numbered to reflect their bearing in relation to magnetic north, and that Canadian runways, which are closest to the continually shifting magnetic north, used mathematical north as it’s fixed bearing and they don’t have to make adjusts every so often.

That means there are 2 different systems of runway numbering. Being a pilot must require some serious maths/physic knowledge.

Well, there's a diagram for them to get acquainted with before arrival. They used to carry a massive manual of flight charts, but many have switched to an app. I think they still have some paper redundancy, just in case.

Runway headings change even in southern latitudes. One day I'm a passenger at Fort Lauderdale (Florida) taking off from 9-27, and by the end of the week, the guidance signs for the same runway said 10-28. I thought it was weird but learned that just a few weeks prior.

Shreveport (Louisiana) saved the aircraft guidance signs, after the magnetic headings officially changed and put them in the waiting areas. Note the new numbers on Google Maps.

Last edited:

Did you watch the CGP Grey video? In the behind the scenes livestream, he says that that line about Canadian runways was carefully worded, because only northern territories use mathematical north and not magnetic north. So if you're flying into Vancouver or Toronto, you will use magnetic north, like all other airports, so most pilots shouldn't have to worry about it.

There's also a lot of anecdotal evidence in the comments of the video of Canadian pilots noting this detail

1660254122317.png

Last edited:
I learned yesterday that Epic Games was founded on the same calendar day as my birthday. So not only do I share a birthday with people like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Skrillex, Shane McMahon, and Charo, [the company to today be known as Epic Games] was founded on the same calendar day. And that day? January 15.

I know there are two Michael Jordans. One of them is an NBA legend, and the other is a popular actor. What I DIDN'T know is which Michael Jordan is which Michael Jordan. Michael B. Jordan is a popular actor, and Michael A. Jordan is an NBA legend playing most of his career with the Chicago Bulls.

Something I didn't know until recently is Arthur, the show on PBS I think everybody knows about, actually started as a book series before it became a TV show. I can remember reading the books a lot when I was younger and being confused by how the art style seemed to vary between books. However, knowing this now, it finally makes sense to me as to why this was so and apparently they were later changed to be more consistent with the TV show. Watched Arthur for years now and I didn't even realize how old the character was until I looked it up.

Last edited:
I know there are two Michael Jordans. One of them is an NBA legend, and the other is a popular actor. What I DIDN'T know is which Michael Jordan is which Michael Jordan. Michael B. Jordan is a popular actor, and Michael A. Jordan is an NBA legend playing most of his career with the Chicago Bulls.
This post made me think of Shaq holding normal sized things with giant hands for some reason.

Despite playing the GT series for years, something I didn't know until today is NA stands for "Naturally Aspirated". I always wondered what it stood for when it was used to describe races that only allowed NA cars, now I know!

Despite playing the GT series for years, something I didn't know until today is NA stands for "Naturally Aspirated". I always wondered what it stood for when it was used to describe races that only allowed NA cars, now I know!
Yeah it's basically just for engines that don't have a Turbo or Supercharger in game. Just the engine, without even more complex stuff attached Took me ages to figure out in GT3/4 why they had to label it N/A or NA

Last edited:
Oh come on, everybody knows NA stands for North American! Engine type: North American. ''Only North American cars may enter this race.'' Thats for first graders!

Last edited:
Two things...

1.) I already knew the first-ever Super Bowl was played on my birthday (January 15), then known as the AFC-NFC Championship Game. What I didn't know until this morning, however, was another Super Bowl was played on my birthday- Super Bowl XII back in 1978. The Dallas Cowboys on that day defeated the Denver Broncos with Super Bowl XII played in New Orleans, LA. Dallas won their second Super Bowl in team history day on that day.

2.) WinAmp is somehow NOT dead. I downloaded the latest WinAmp recently, updated as of September 2022. WinAmp used to be one of the best programs for playing mostly audio formats on the PC.

2.) WinAmp is somehow NOT dead. I downloaded the latest WinAmp recently, updated as of September 2022. WinAmp used to be one of the best programs for playing mostly audio formats on the PC.
Can you still add the dancing bear to Winamp. I remember showing it to my daughter when she was very young, she loved copying the bears moves.

Today I learned (well not exactly TODAY) that "TIL" stands for "today I learned." Being the uncool, not current old man, this is just another piece of Internet lingo that I fail to grasp until recently.

Back