The "if only" corner

• Thread starter jasguer
  • 41 comments
United States
Wisconsin
lowlyfe45
There's at least on corner each track that I feel "if only i could manage to get nail this one down, I'd be a real contender." Unfortunately, now matter how many times I drive the corner or replays I watch, I always feel I could be faster. So, here's my list:

• Brands Hatch GP: Paddock hill bend, no matter what I'm either too slow or too fast
  • Dragon Trail: Damn 🤬 bus stop.....
  • Interlagos: Senna-S is fine for the most part but turns 6-7 are the bane of my existence I know I'm losing time there
  • Lago Maggiore: All sections - all tracks - I suck and I'm terrible, I definitely need more laps on this one
  • Monza: The fast chicane, the Variante Ascari, turns 8,9 and 10. I'm always afraid I'm gonna spin out in MR or FR cars or cause oversteer in FF cars
  • Mount Panorama: The whole technical section at the top of the hill, turns 11 through 18. I'm super slow through there so I just avoid the whole thing.
  • Nurburgring GP: Either turns 3 & 4 or the Schumacher-S I'm pretty slow through both
  • Suzuka Circuit: The chicanes, turns 3 through 7.Just when I think I've nailed it, I enter a race only to get my doors blown off
  • Willow Springs: Big Willow: Turn 4. I suck and I'm slow. I usually get punted and it's probably my fault.
  • Yamagiwa - The chicane right after the down hill section
  • Yamagiwa + Miyabi - the hairpin where Yamagiwa and Miyabi are joined
Maybe one day I'll nail these down. :)

Last edited:
Haha looks like the Game won’t get boring for you, lots of undone duty to do. Actually it’s definitely just practice, nothing else. It’s all ’bout knowing the track in and out in Combination with your current Car. At the beginning I struggled a lot too, I never thought i‘d get many corners on even more tracks right and still it happens that I sometimes adjust my lines and throttle/brake inputs a bit here and there to see if it makes a difference.
But that’s the whole point ‘bout this game that I enjoy so much. There‘ll always be that one Corner or passage i‘ll dislike and still I feel greedy to finally nail it. It’s a game ’bout skills. And skills differ. :)

For me it's braking... corners/exits I'm generally ok at, but, seems every brake point on every track... too early too easy and loose a spot, or, too late too hard, miss the turn-in, loose a spot... If I ever get brakes figured out... well, then I'll probably just ruin every mid corner and exit... :).

Hey @jasguer bud, you almost listed all corners :), but to be honest, I totaly agree. These are all sections where you can lose much time or - gain much time also if you hit them correct.

I suck most on the point 6 in your list mount panorama on the hill, last 3 or 4 turns before getting down and on the esses in Suzuka your point 8

The Dragon Trail bus stop also was a huge disadvantage for me in the beginning, but as I like the track a lot after a lot of practice I rather gain time there now on the others.

For Brands Hatch I have an inverse list tho, except for the hairpin I badly fail at every turn. I absolutely hate corners that have to be steered into blindly and for Brands Hatch all the important turns are that way. Especially the absolutely horrible turn 1, but also for 5, 6 and 7 I have to slow down to walking speed to not get onto the grass, while others barely lift the throttle.

The Dragon Trail bus stop also was a huge disadvantage for me in the beginning, but as I like the track a lot after a lot of practice I rather gain time there now on the others.

For Brands Hatch I have an inverse list tho, except for the hairpin I badly fail at every turn. I absolutely hate corners that have to be steered into blindly and for Brands Hatch all the important turns are that way. Especially the absolutely horrible turn 1, but also for 5, 6 and 7 I have to slow down to walking speed to not get onto the grass, while others barely lift the throttle.

That's the point though, You need to hit the grass, to keep the throttle almost flat out, That's why GTS game gives you a clue on the racing line with tyre marks in the soil, that's the unofficial racing line for that circut.

Been sim racing for many years and there is still 2 corners that I never feel like I get right, generally my times aren't that far off so must be doing them OK but still never feels right....
Bathurst - Forrest Elbow & Nurburg GP Coca-Cola Kurve (final corner).... Guess we have a love/hate relationship :)

Turn 1 Brands Hatch. But then I did gold a seasonal in GT6 so how bad can it be.

I'd say that big section after the top of the mountain in Bathurst before you go onto the straights but this bit even gets the professionals.

Vast swathes of the Nurburgring... I'd say the 1st 12-13km!

Paddock Hill Bend is legendary. I haven't a clue how many times I've been round it in how many different driving games, but the entry always remains a massive leap of faith.

The truth is, for me, that I could certainly gain a lot of time on most of the corners on most of the tracks, as I can generally get to within a consistent 4 - 5 seconds off the pace of the top guys, but when I reach that point I'm at a loss as to where I can make further gains.

All the twisty parts of Interlagos

From turn 7, go outside left and brake early for a very slow turn 8 going tight over the inside right curbstones, accelerate down the hill but brake early again, going over the curbstones on the left before aiming for the outside right on exit, up to the outside left before turn 11 again braking early. It's much faster to go slow into all of these corners, than try and push hard and go too wide on exit.

Edit: I always use to try an go too fast through here and make a mess, but after watching a couple of the top 10 replays it became apparent that slower is better :)
1200px-Circuit_Interlagos.svg.png

Last edited:
For me....

Suzuka Spoon! Always lose 3-5 tenths here to competitors in a race :(

The spoon curve in my opinion requires a similar strategy as turn 1 in Brands Hatch, the critical part is the second apex and if you do not go inside early enough and hit the apex you are in trouble just like in Brands.
Not that I can do either of them well... but at least in Suzuka you can see the apex...

The spoon curve in my opinion requires a similar strategy as turn 1 in Brands Hatch, the critical part is the second apex and if you do not go inside early enough and hit the apex you are in trouble just like in Brands.
Not that I can do either of them well... but at least in Suzuka you can see the apex...

Thanks. I will try and think of it in the same way when on Suzuka next as I seem to be ok with T1 Brands.

My issue isn't with any one corner. It's still down to me mastering that trail braking/early throttle turn trick and knowing when it's appropriate for a turn... and then having the faith to commit to a deep entry with it.

I am pretty quick around Bathurst in equal cars, been watching tintops there for 35 years, i know my way around.

BUT I ALWAYS lose time to good drivers through "The Cutting". It's the steep, tight double left hander as you climb the mountain. I cannot carry the speed through the first left others can, I have to tap the brake to rotate the car for the very tight and steep second left that one has to take a very tight line through or you get sucked into the wall on the right.

I just cannot do it, cannot carry the pace.

I am pretty quick around Bathurst in equal cars, been watching tintops there for 35 years, i know my way around.

BUT I ALWAYS lose time to good drivers through "The Cutting". It's the steep, tight double left hander as you climb the mountain. I cannot carry the speed through the first left others can, I have to tap the brake to rotate the car for the very tight and steep second left that one has to take a very tight line through or you get sucked into the wall on the right.

I just cannot do it, cannot carry the pace.

The first section can be taken flat in most cars, or with a slight lift.
Go out wide to the right, swing in and hug the inside wall then let it run out to the outside again.
For the second part slow on the straight, don't worry about corner speed and concentrate on a good exit.

You're ringing a lot of bells here:
Dragon's Tail: the bus stop has been giving me fits since the beta, but I did get it right.
Mount Panorama, the whole up and down the mountain thing was the hardest for me in the circuit progress offline.
Suzuka: I've never felt that I mastered spoon, just gotten it "good enough". Then again, I feel the same way about the corkscrew at Laguna Seca.

It would be really awesome if there was a way that we could choose a corner or two and be able to just practice that area of a course. I still suck but have a blast with the game, excuse me, driving simulator. :bowdown::bowdown:

It would be really awesome if there was a way that we could choose a corner or two and be able to just practice that area of a course. I still suck but have a blast with the game, excuse me, driving simulator. :bowdown::bowdown:
You can in Circuit Experience... obviously you can't pick the car but you can still learn about a particular corner... the instructions for each sector are really useful too

You can in Circuit Experience... obviously you can't pick the car but you can still learn about a particular corner... the instructions for each sector are really useful too

Agreed, but I also would love a way to just "replay" a particular corner at racing speed. Hit a button, go back in time 15 seconds, try again. The "15 seconds" bit is obviously not absolute or even correct, but you get my idea, I hope.

The first section can be taken flat in most cars, or with a slight lift.
Go out wide to the right, swing in and hug the inside wall then let it run out to the outside again.
For the second part slow on the straight, don't worry about corner speed and concentrate on a good exit.

Yep that's what i try and do but i cannot take the first left flat, I then fail to apex the second turn and rotate the car enough as it's pointing the wrong way.

Agreed, but I also would love a way to just "replay" a particular corner at racing speed. Hit a button, go back in time 15 seconds, try again. The "15 seconds" bit is obviously not absolute or even correct, but you get my idea, I hope.
Yeah I know what you mean... so often when qualifying I will mess up a corner but then have to complete the whole rest of the lap before being able to try it again slightly differently. Probably why I spend so long qualifying every night

I am am seeing a lot of "across the mountain at bathurst" here.

In all honesty, go way harder than you think you can, attack the course don't be too tentative, anything uphill you can go very hard into the turn and still hit the apex, coming down, brake REALLY hard into each section and gas hard on the way out, be far more aggressive than you think you can be.

If you think it's tough on GTSport, try it in PCARS2.

Yeah I know what you mean... so often when qualifying I will mess up a corner but then have to complete the whole rest of the lap before being able to try it again slightly differently. Probably why I spend so long qualifying every night

Well, I was thinking more of offline time trials than qualifying. In qualifying, you just have to eat the mistake. But in pure practice, it would be great to be able to focus on one particular problem.

Back