The Kia ProCeed GT Is a Sporty Shooting Brake Not Bound for America

Would it be considered insensitive if I said good?
I'm about to sound very American here but our roads are flooded with these tiny Korean and Japanese go karts.
I guess I missed the bus on their popularity.

I'm about to sound very American here but our roads are flooded with these tiny Korean and Japanese go karts.

So, what's the issue with that? Korean companies make excellent cars not and the Japanese automakers have been good for decades.

So, what's the issue with that? Korean companies make excellent cars not and the Japanese automakers have been good for decades.

The issue for me is size. I'm 6'4, when the wife and I were in the market for another vehicle we test drove a dozen models across 5 brands. The asian offerings always resulted in the same results, my head touches the roof unless I drive reclined laying in the backseat.
We decided on the Charger and overall in my opinion European and American models are just more comfortable.
It has nothing to do with quality or reliability, strictly comfort as we do alot of touring.

The issue for me is size. I'm 6'4, when the wife and I were in the market for another vehicle we test drove a dozen models across 5 brands. The asian offerings always resulted in the same results, my head touches the roof unless I drive reclined laying in the backseat.
We decided on the Charger and overall in my opinion European and American models are just more comfortable.
It has nothing to do with quality or reliability, strictly comfort as we do alot of touring.

So to interpret your two posts together you are saying:

"I'm glad that this car isn't coming to the US because its probably too small for me!"

I'd say more selfish than insensitive to answer your original question. :lol: (I'm only yanking your chain)

So to interpret your two posts together you are saying:

"I'm glad that this car isn't coming to the US because its probably too small for me!"

I'd say more selfish than insensitive to answer your original question. :lol: (I'm only yanking your chain)

Not at all I completely agree it's very selfish I suppose.
Just not a fan of smaller vehicles although I can understand why millions are, easy of use around cities and great fuel economy.

I’m 6’4” as well and my cars have been a Yaris, Scion xD, and Mazda3, never have I been too tall to be comfortable. I drive just about every type of vehicle at work as small as a Chevy Spark or as cramped as a BRZ and they’re all far roomier than they look. It just depends what your standards are. Headroom is usually only an issue in modern sedans with their coupe rooflines, there’s plenty of upright hatches around like the Golf and Soul. Modern small cars are hilariously roomy compared to most vehicles of any size built up till about the 00’s, which often lacked shoulder and legroom, as well as seat and steering column adjustability. I had a Chrysler 300 as a rental recently and it had far less leg and headroom than the Cruze I exchanged it for later (for fuel mileage reasons)! The LX cars are kind of throwbacks when it comes to space efficiency. Pretty much any FCA product (other than the Ram) I’ve ever been in has also had bizarrely narrow footwells.

Large cars built after about 1980 have no appeal to me, but I’m also Canadian and we like smaller vehicles (other than pickups). Also I have never and will never live in a city.

The only cars I’ve had trouble fitting in are the S2000 and pre-ND Miatas.

Also in response to the article, we’ll be getting the regular Ceed GT as the Forte5 SX as well as an SX version of the (absolutely hideous) Forte sedan with the traditional 1.6T.

Compact wagons are a pretty pointless class when hatches do pretty much everything people actually need just as well. Midsize and large wagons are great though.

From the official specs. Charger headroom: 38.6 inches. Kia Forte 39.1. The Forte also has .4” more legroom. The charger only wins in shoulder and hip room.

Last edited:
From the official specs. Charger headroom: 38.6 inches. Kia Forte 39.1. The Forte also has .4” more legroom. The charger only wins in shoulder and hip room.

I read your entire post, very good post!

But in reference to the less than one inch headroom it goes much further than that.
When we sat in the 2017 Honda Civic, Kia Cadenza, and Toyota Camry the interiors felt cramped.

Example... In all 3 our elbows were fighting for the center console. First world problems I get it but when paying 40K for a new sedan you tend to notice small things.

They were all beautiful made quality vehicles no doubt, but ultimately for us the Charger was perfect. It also didn't hurt my feelings the R/T has 370hp.

I'm stopping here not derailing a Kia article Joey put work into.

Completely disagree. I think it looks great.

I have a very strong anti-sedan bias (but not as strong as my anti-crossover bias), but I hate the the current trend towards design that emphasize length and narrowness (started with the Fusion and CLS/CLA). The Forte is better looking than the Civic and Jetta though. I like the front end, the side is indistinguishable from anything else Korean from the last 5 years/the Cruze, and from the rear 3/4 all the visual weight is in the trunk so it looks like it has a full diaper

It’s almost impossible to make a FWD compact or subcompact sedan look good since hatchback is their natural form

overall in my opinion European and American models are just more comfortable
This has a Korean badge on it, but it's a European car.

The first Ceed, or rather "Cee'd", was designed for the European market by Kia Design Center Europe in Frankfurt, and built at the Zilina plant in Slovakia. In fact the name literally means "European Economic Community" (CEE) "European Design" (ED). There's one too many Europeans in there, and one too many Es, so Kia dropped out one and replaced it with an apostrophe: CEEED became Cee'd.

That remained the case for the second and third generations (the third is the car in this thread), only they became part of Peter Schreyer's design portfolio. He's the German designer that created the original Audi TT, and is now not only Kia/Hyundai's chief designer, but president of Kia.

There's surprisingly little that's actually Korean on the car. It's a European-designed (by a European designer), European-built car for the European market. With a Kia badge.

It’s almost impossible to make a FWD compact or subcompact sedan look good
after.png

I might be biased though...

The Elantra isn't bad. Seriously though the Elantra Sport hatchback (which I assume is basically the same) is near the top of my list for my next car next year, is it that good? I still haven't managed to drive anything with the 1.6T.

Might I recommend a look at the Veloster (shameless plug of my GTPlanet review)? Same platform with a few choice upgrades, and still a hatchback. I haven't seen many on the roads yet, but it's a nice useable size IMO. Very curious to get behind the wheel of the N...

Might I recommend a look at the Veloster (shameless plug of my GTPlanet review)? Same platform with a few choice upgrades, and still a hatchback. I haven't seen many on the roads yet, but it's a nice useable size IMO. Very curious to get behind the wheel of the N...

I was planning on cross shopping the two. From what I've read the Veloster has a better gearbox, but I don't know what the price difference is (that'll probably depend on the dealer). I prefer the look of the Elantra as well since I'm not a fan of flashy. I've only seen one new Veloster on the road so far. Don't feel like it'll be a big sales hit, since the first one mostly only sold well in the first few years based on novelty.

Currently the Elantra Sport sedan, GT Sport hatch (basically the i30) and the Veloster Turbo all share the same engine/transmission(s).

Back