The Le Mans General Discussion Thread

Right, I've noticed that a fair few threads have been cropping up discussing various aspects of Le Mans, ALMS and LMPs in general. Instead of dedicating one thread to each invididual piece of news (we don't even do that for Formula 1), I'm going to create one thread for discussion and merge everything into it. I apologise in advance if some of the posts are out of sequence; the way this works is that posts are arranged accoring to timestamp rather that by the thread they were originally in. As of now, the following threads are going to be merged into this one:
  • Audi R18 Launched[*]ALMS 2011 Discussion[*]Toyota supplies LMP1 engine to Rebellion Racing
So please discuss all your Le Mans-related things here. When the race comes around again next June, we'll have a dedicated thread for it, but everything else should go here. - interludes

Here's some of the news for next season:

* Core Motorsports - After dominating the Cooper Tires Prototype Lites Series, CORE autosport is announcing its intention to compete in the American Le Mans Series during the 2011 season.

* Signature Motorsports are looking to move from IMSA Lites to LMP2 with a Lola Ford package.

1057945_article_img_large3.jpg

* According to Speed TV Audi shelved plans to enter the 2011 ALMS season. They had talked to Penske, Highcroft and Wayne Taylor but plans fell apart over funding of the program.

* According to Gordon Kirby, Highcroft will be back in 2011 but with General Electric funding as their deal with Patron has ended. Other backers include GE Global Research and GE Capital Forbes magazine and Acero. Other details of their 2011 plans have not been revealed.

Interesting quote from Highcroft:

"I'm not at liberty to say anything right now," Dayton commented. "We've had an illustrious partnership with Honda and HPD. We wouldn't be where we are without them and we think they wouldn't be where they are in their development program without us. Our alliance with Nick Wirth and HPD has been very successful and we'd love to keep that partnership together. It's very appealing to us but we've got to wait to see because it's got to fit strategically with what HPD wants to do.

"But we've also been in discussion with several other manufacturers that would be new to the series and would bring great presence, engineering and excitement to the series. Those discussions are continuing and we're pleased that we've been able to talk with multiple manufacturers about representing their brand.

* TRG are evaluating stepping into the LMPC field. The Porsche runners in GTC and Grand Am's GT categories could make the leap to a prototype car.

* According to SpeedTV.com, Performance Tech, the squad behind the Primetime Viper project could be looking to reenter the LMPC field. They ran a couple races earlier this year but ran out of funding

* ACS Racing - 2 Ford GTs planned for next year.

* Cytosport plans on returning in 2011 despite the Porsche RS Sypder not being supported by Porsche and its homologation expiring. The car that they plan to run is not known at this time.

* After winning the LMPC title, Level 5 are evaluating a move to LMP2 for 2011.

* West Racing are going to enter a GT2 spec Lamborghini Gallardo in 2011. The car will be supported and shod by Yokohama tyres

lambo101004.jpg

* Despite the Panoz Abruzzi not making the race at Petit, it is still planned to race in 2011

* Riley reveals LMP2 car designed to accept Roush-Yates V6 EcoBoost, HPD V6 twin-turbo, Judd and Nismo/Zytek.

* Level 5 to LMP2 - Talks have begun with Roush, HPD, and Ferrari over an engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
* According to Speed TV Audi shelved plans to enter the 2011 ALMS season. They had talked to Penske, Highcroft and Wayne Taylor but plans fell apart over funding of the program.
This makes me sad. To me Audi and ALMS go hand-in-hand. My first ALMS race was the 2000 Petit Le Mans and that was also the first year Audi entered the ALMS P1 (whatever it was called then) category. I even have a die cast model of the R8 car that won that race.

Hopefully when the economy improves they will return full time.

* According to Gordon Kirby, Highcroft will be back in 2011 but with General Electric funding as their deal with Patron has ended. Other backers include GE Global Research and GE Capital Forbes magazine and Acero. Other details of their 2011 plans have not been revealed.
With GE becoming their primary sponsor I am excited. My mom is the administrative asistant for a VP at GE, so I may be able to snag some swag or corporate tent tickets.

So next year LMPs would include a F1 thin design at the rear end of the vehicle?

Can't wait to see what Audi, Peugeot and the rest come up for next years Le Mans. :)

Isn't that fin meant for stability or something that the ACO were worried about when the cars are going uber fast down the straights?

Audi's entering LMP1 next year with their new Audi R18, but what was scrapped was the GT2 Audi R8 LMS. And it's no longer GT2 as there is no GT1 any more. I forget the new rankings, but it's basically a GT2 spec class and a "Legends" class which is supposed to allow for cars like the Koineggsegg CCGT and others enter.

Audi's entering LMP1 next year with their new Audi R18, but what was scrapped was the GT2 Audi R8 LMS. And it's no longer GT2 as there is no GT1 any more. I forget the new rankings, but it's basically a GT2 spec class and a "Legends" class which is supposed to allow for cars like the Koineggsegg CCGT and others enter.

Not sure where you get your info. Audi's plan was scrapped because Audi NA didn't want to fund the campaign (didn't we see this before with the Lexus GT2?). The R8 is currently not allowed to race in the GTC category.

To be perfectly clear, here is the class structure:

LMP1
LMP2
LMPC - The spec Oreca built prototypes
GT2 (or GTE in LMS) is still the same. Not spec. It will have Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Corvette, Ford GTs, Jaguar & hopefully Lambo.
GTC is the spec class with Porsche GT3s. There is no "Legends" class & the Koenigsegg is not ACO legal AFAIK.

Now for some real news:

HVM Racing intends to enter an LMP car. Sounds like an LMP2 since Wiggins mentions the pro/am rules.

http://www.racer.com/hvm-to-expand-to-american-le-mans-series-in-2011/article/180872/

Speedtv.com announced that Audi had planned for a dual class entry into the ALMS season with the R18 in LMP1 and a car in GT class that was presumably an Audi R8, but it could have been something else, I guess. You're right, though. Both programs were scrapped, but Audi will appear in the 12 Hours of Sebring and Petit LeMans. However, Audi was looking into entering the ALMS via the GTC series, but LeMans has officially turned them down on that. So, now, their only American entrance would be Grand Am if they can.

Back half looks pretty awesome, front end is a little stubby, overall the 908 is still one of the best looking LMP's in my opinion, I'm sure the Audi will be a force to be reckoned with though.. V6 TDI.. things are getting small all of a sudden!

I think it looks great. Managed to keep it still look aggressive with the fin (like the Aston Martin LMP concept). Shame it won't be at the 2011 Sebring 12 Hour....

Seems Peugeot is rubbing off on them in a good way. :P

I love it, can't wait to see it in action next June.

I kind of like the side profile of this car with the addition of the new F1 style fin at the back. I don't think the front looks too bad either.

I hope they keep that stealth black paint. It really makes it looks awesome. I cant see it looking as kool in the grey they run in.

You can bet your ass it'll be silver and red. Audi hasn't changed their formula since, ever.

No other pics of the car?

I hope they keep that stealth black paint. It really makes it looks awesome. I cant see it looking as kool in the grey they run in.

Only legitimate reason I can think of as to why it wouldn't maintain the style it's currently been revealed in is visibility issues. We all know how dark Le Sarthe gets at night, and to see nothing but the taillights of something in pure black (carbon fiber, no less) would cause problems. The lights from the approaching vehicle wouldn't reflect off of anything (does carbon fiber refract light?) and would probably cause an incident.

At least in hindsight.

Last edited:
Right, I've noticed that a fair few threads have been cropping up discussing various aspects of Le Mans, ALMS and LMPs in general. Instead of dedicating one thread to each invididual piece of news (we don't even do that for Formula 1), I'm going to create one thread for discussion and merge everything into it. I apologise in advance if some of the posts are out of sequence; the way this works is that posts are arranged accoring to timestamp rather that by the thread they were originally in. As of now, the following threads are going to be merged into this one:
  • Audi R18 Launched[*]ALMS 2011 Discussion[*]Toyota supplies LMP1 engine to Rebellion Racing
So please discuss all your Le Mans-related things here. When the race comes around again next June, we'll have a dedicated thread for it, but everything else should go here.

Back