The Le Mans General Discussion Thread

I really don't like that these threads have been merged...ALMS discussion has very little to do with either of the other two threads or the 24 Hours of Le Mans race.

Possibly the engine itself but not Rebellion Racing. They could be at Sebring and Petit for the ILMC rounds but they won't be in the running for an ALMS championship.

I really don't like that these threads have been merged...ALMS discussion has very little to do with either of the other two threads or the 24 Hours of Le Mans race.
Sorry, but I didn't see any point in keeping them around. When a Formula 1 team gets a new engine supplier, we don't go creating a news thread on it, and Formula 1 discussions get considerably more traffic than Le Mans and ALMS. I don't see why there should suddenly be dozens of threads for individual Le Mans news.

Also, ALMS stands for American Le Mans Series. It goes in with the other geernal Le Mans news.

This is getting way off topic but I see 14 separate threads on Formula 1 on the first page of the Motorsports Forum alone. Two of the discussions are moved/closed, but still. Why the hate on sports car racing? Perhaps you don't see a difference in the series, but someone who's a fan of ALMS isn't necessarily familiar with the teams/drivers in LMS/ILMC (and vice versa).

It's not hate. It's a lack of enough following to justify having a dozen Le Mans threads. Looking at the Formula 1 threads, you'll see stuff on the Singapore crash controversy, Ferrari's use of team orders, the driver transfer market, proposed regulations, and the Lotus-Lotus situation. All of them are major events in the Formula 1 world. Toyota supplying engines to an LMP1 team pales by comparison.

This is not open to negotiation or any further discussion. Please continue discussing the topic at hand: general Le Mans news. Any further posts debating the value of having one thread or several for Le Mans will be considered off-topic and deleted. Warnings and infractions may be issued accoringly.

The new Audi looks absolutely horrible :ill:

I quite liked the profile images of the front and rear, but that side profile looks hideous and I certainly don't like the chopped headlights in an angle :yuck:

I hope Peugeot comes out with something much better looking.

Well the 90X they've tested is alreadt more than that. Like the Audi it has much lower bodywork with the smaller engine, and an air scoop to help feed air to it.

The new Audi looks absolutely horrible :ill:

I quite liked the profile images of the front and rear, but that side profile looks hideous and I certainly don't like the chopped headlights in an angle :yuck:

I hope Peugeot comes out with something much better looking.

What can you say?
peugeot-90x-1.jpg

What can you say?
peugeot-90x-1.jpg

I'm just going to presume that you think it's much better looking. It's a 908 with a different wing and a big hole on the roof.

And I'm not going to say what everyone is thinking regarding the thread.

I'm just going to presume that you think it's much better looking. It's a 908 with a different wing and a big hole on the roof.

And I'm not going to say what everyone is thinking regarding the thread.

Actually the 90X you see in those pics is in 2010 908 colours just as a test livery. Anyone know it was involved in accident at Motorland Aragon in spain at a private test last month?

The new Audi looks mean. Full marks for keeping the driver line up as well...

I know this is a couple months old, but I find interesting Aston switching to an open-top car an interesting move...

http://www.planetlemans.com/2010/09/11/aston-martin-targets-le-mans-with-new-race-car/

Didn't know about Aston making a move to open top.

Also the 458 needs to have the front bumper changed to look more like the road car because it just looks ugly like that.

The 90x needs to do something with that shark fin because it just looks go horrible all squared up like that. Looking at Audis and the Aston's drawing of there's, the Puegots just looks horrible.

And like everyone else I agree with ardius. I wouldnt need to comment on 3 different subjects in one posts if each thing kept its own thread.

Also the 458 needs to have the front bumper changed to look more like the road car because it just looks ugly like that.

The 90x needs to do something with that shark fin because it just looks go horrible all squared up like that. Looking at Audis and the Aston's drawing of there's, the Puegots just looks horrible.

And like everyone else I agree with ardius. I wouldnt need to comment on 3 different subjects in one posts if each thing kept its own thread.

They still have time to sort that out.

2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR Released

m103560.jpg

m103559.jpg

http://www.planetlemans.com/2010/12/11/porsche-launches-2011-porsche-911-gt3-rsr/

The Porsche 911 GT3 RSR takes off into the new motorsport season with extensive modifications. The 2011 version of the world’s most successful GT race car celebrated its international premiere at the “Night of Champions” party held at the R&D Centre in Weissach to mark the end of the motorsport season. Priority in the further development of the GT3 RSR was given to the newly designed aerodynamics at the front and rear, changes to the suspension kinematics and to the engine.

They can't because the road car has these wings on the grill that move up and down depending on the speed to give more downforce. They are not allowed to have that.

New 911? That looks exactly the same apart from a few aero pieces. They couldn't just say we released a new aero package?

They can't because the road car has these wings on the grill that move up and down depending on the speed to give more downforce. They are not allowed to have that.

New 911? That looks exactly the same apart from a few aero pieces. They couldn't just say we released a new aero package?

I was thinking more of just how the air intakes are placed. They dont need to add the movable aero parts just keep the intakes the same instead of one in the center like that and it would look a lot better.

No.

The 4.0-litre, six-cylinder boxer engine now delivers 455 hp (355 kW) at 7,800 revs, five horsepower more than its predecessor. The power increase results from an engine management system which adapts even better to different fuel grades, as well as a redesigned exhaust system and a modified air intake housing. Moreover, the driveability of the famously efficient engine has undergone further improvements. Maximum revs remain unchanged at 9,400 rpm.

Remember, this is a Porsche. ;)

I mean as in if there cars a winner, why change it dramatically, as some posters above think.

Because if you don't improve, the other guy will and then your car is no longer a winner.

or.

So that all their customers stump up the money to buy the new car.

Back