The like system

• Thread starter squadops
  • 27 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's something really uncomfortable about Jordan giving off a completely straightforward answer like that. It's kinda scary. :scared:

If you can figure out how to unblock the banner ad at the top of the page, you could use Adblock to hide the like counter and button for personal use. You would still get notifications when people like your posts, though. I just fiddled around a bit with it, but I couldn't unblock the banner ad, so I was a good little Planetor and just kept it whitelisted ;)

The "Like" button is indeed liked a lot! What you need is a slider to give a varying scale of likingness. :D

Seriously though...

I've often thought that something along the lines of an "acknowledge" button/function would be useful. You haven't necessarily got to "like" all of a post but you can agree to it's overall points.

It would be particularly useful in the online racing section. A race organiser could post something they'd like everyone to read - perhaps a change in the rules. Now to save a list of posts cluttering up the thread from drivers saying "Yeah, got that", everyone could press the "acknowledge" button to say they'd read it. The organiser could then keep track of it easier. It would be different to the "like" button since they may not necessarily like the changes but accept them nonetheless.

Although it's not part of the forum software, perhaps it could be applied a bit like the spoiler button can be added now.

They are unlikely to be added for the same reason we don't have a dislike button. Too many people would abuse it.
How can you abuse a virtual button on your computer screen?

Is it possible that at some point we will see more options than just "like"? On some other forums I've seen options like funny, informative, dislike etc.
I'm afraid some members would abuse the dislike button by thumbing down other members' posts on principle, regardless of what they have to say.

I'm afraid some members would abuse the dislike button by thumbing down other members' posts on principle, regardless of what they have to say.
Easy to fix. Leave it out if it's a concern.

VBR
Maybe we could have a "Whatever" button!

;)

Whatever =
whatever-smiley.png

Reactions: VBR
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back