The Lotus Omega Combines Speed and Practicality for an Ultimate Super-Saloon

An old friend in the UK had one of these; though it was badged as the Lotus Carlton. Such a lovely, sporty car.

One of the quirks of Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet/Lotus cars,they always come with 2 different names,only recently i discovered the Chevrolet Kaddet also called Vauxhall Astra

Last edited:
Man, I remember when these weren't as widely known among the somewhat car crowd. During a drag race at a German car show it completely blew away the competition and the crowd.

To achieve something like that nowadays you need at least 7-800 hp in a dull turd.

One of the quirks of Opera/Vauxhall/Chevrolet/Lotus cars,they always come with 2 different names,only recently i discovered the Chevrolet Kaddet also called Vauxhall Astra

Opel Kadett in the rest of Europe.

Aaah, the time when Opel cars were still awesome. Opel Omega, Opel Kadett, Opel Calibra, Opel GT, Opel Mantra.
They just made nice cars with engines that could, and at an affordible price.

I still remember there being talks about GTI vs GSI and which was better. Aaah, the times.

One of the quirks of Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet/Lotus cars,they always come with 2 different names,only recently i discovered the Chevrolet Kaddet also called Vauxhall Astra

Interestingly in the 90's GM unified the names of the cars to their Opel names (Corsa rather than Nova, Vectra rather than Cavalier, Omega rather than Carlton) but they kept Astra and dropped Kaddett.

An old friend in the UK had one of these; though it was badged as the Lotus Carlton. Such a lovely, sporty car.
this IS also the lotus carlton, correct? I had that on gt4, pretty nice car it is.
It's mentioned pretty early on in the article that the Lotus Omega is the Lotus Carlton in the UK, and @Joey D discusses the UK criminal underworld's love of the Carlton a little later on in the piece...

Indeed, it was until way after this era that the names were combined across Vauxhall/Opel platforms.

For many Brits the Vauxhall Omega will forever be a completely different car from the Vauxhall (and Lotus) Carlton.

Here in Brazil, the Omega was badged as a Chevrolet, and to this day is a subject of worship with clubs and meetings. The last one was released in 2010 as the "Fittipaldi Edition" with a nice 3.6L V6.

But nothing (among the Omega models sold here) compares to this Carlton. A true unicorn, i love it.

Having crawled around underneath my car more than a few times now, I'm kind of stunned that they managed to wedge a ZF6 into a regular car not essentially built around it.

Here in Brazil, the Omega was badged as a Chevrolet, and to this day is a subject of worship with clubs and meetings. The last one was released in 2010 as the "Fittipaldi Edition" with a nice 3.6L V6.

But nothing (among the Omega models sold here) compares to this Carlton. A true unicorn, i love it.

The Omegas over here were always good cars. Would love to get my hands on this one thought hehe

This was another of my Mad Max apocalypse dream cars.

At the time, can't remember the magazine, the reviewer noted the Lotus had more torque than a Lamborghini. That's all that stuck with me back then. So sad it never came to the USA.

A 25 year old body released in 2010? Really?

At least it wasn't a Catera.
cetera-toast.jpg

Oh wait, you said Catera...

Back