The McLaren F1... erh... P1 Thread

• Thread starter deba94
  • 719 comments
I'll be honest when I say I'm a little more surprised they didn't go with the Ueno Clinic livery as a tribute, considering this does mark the 10th Anniversary of its debut win.

I would have preferred to see the Ueno Clinic livery actually, I liked the livery on that more than the harrods livery.

1995 was 20 years ago, not 10. :P Maybe this one is going to the owner of the Harrods car, and he wanted matching cars... who knows. But if anything, the original red-yellow GTR livery would have worked as well.
96gtr.jpg

Think we could get a change of thread title? Pretty sure the P1 has been the P1 for about a year now. @niky

1995 was 20 years ago, not 10. :P Maybe this one is going to the owner of the Harrods car, and he wanted matching cars... who knows. But if anything, the original red-yellow GTR livery would have worked as well.
96gtr.jpg
I'm not 100% positive but I believe Nick Mason has that chassis and reverted the car back to that livery after its career. Wonder if he's considered a P1.

And you're right. That was a poor typo on my part. :P

I'm not 100% positive but I believe Nick Mason has that chassis and reverted the car back to that livery after its career. Wonder if he's considered a P1.
I think that's right. And the best part is he actually drives the thing, unlike many other owners 👍

Think we could get a change of thread title? Pretty sure the P1 has been the P1 for about a year now. @niky

Ordinarily we'd leave it up to the threadstarter, but since he's not around... fixed.

The 918 proves to be quicker than the P1...

...And it didn't even have the Weissach package...

no sign of the LaFerrari

I've lost respect for Ferrari. What's the point of hyping about the performance and experience, and not let anyone lap it against its obvious competition? And the people who do dare to lap it, lose their right to buy another limited production Ferrari?

It's a bit sad, really. It's almost like Ferrari have no confidence in their product.

Despite less power and more weight, the 918 proves to be quicker than the P1... no sign of the La Ferrari :rolleyes:

No wonder McLaren never claimed a real Nurburgring time.

man Porsche has amazing techs on the car. No wonder they didn't back down when TG wanted to compare the trio hyper car.

The amazing thing to me was watching the tires on the P1 almost ripping off of the wheels. The amount of force that car generates... Wow. The test was funny because the difference in time was almost entirely made by the corkscrew exit. The 918's front motor just launched it over the Crest and down the descent.

This is exactly the reason I’ve loved Porsche above any other manufacturer as far back as I can remember.

They don’t build theme parks. They don’t have merchandise shops in shopping malls. They don’t over hype their cars before they launch them. They don’t refuse to let their cars be tested against competitors. And they don't send transporters with specially prepared cars and support crews when their cars are tested.

They just build cars that deliver.

IMO, Porsche are the most authentic sportscar manufacturer.

This is exactly the reason I’ve loved Porsche above any other manufacturer as far back as I can remember.

They don’t build theme parks. They don’t have merchandise shops in shopping malls. They don’t over hype their cars before they launch them. They don’t refuse to let their cars be tested against competitors. And they don't send transporters with specially prepared cars and support crews when their cars are tested.

They just build cars that deliver.

IMO, Porsche are the most authentic sportscar manufacturer.

I hate to break it to you, but Porsche most definitely does have merchandise shops in shopping malls. Their gear is really quite nice. Their watches can be hit or miss, but Porsche Design's style is very tasteful IMO.

I hate to break it to you, but Porsche most definitely does have merchandise shops in shopping malls. Their gear is really quite nice. Their watches can be hit or miss, but Porsche Design's style is very tasteful IMO.
If we're being strictly accurate, Porsche Design is a separate entity from the car manufacturer - just like Rolls-Royce Motor Cars has absolutely nothing to do with the Rolls-Royce aerospace engine company. It's owned by Porsche (unlike Rolls-Royce/Rolls-Royce) but otherwise has no relation to the cars.

Which is probably why, as you say, all the stuff is surprisingly tasteful. And there are no Porsche-branded teddy bears or 911-shaped USB sticks. It's essentially a Porsche-owned firm that makes boutique goods, rather than a firm that makes Porsche-branded crap to sell in their showrooms.

Despite less power and more weight, the 918 proves to be quicker than the P1

I don't know whether to be disappointed or not. On one hand it speaks to the advancement of electric cars (or hybrids), but on the other I'm wondering how the McLaren could lose at all. I support maybe short track, with a few low speed corners, and the McLaren's lack of low speed grip all came together for a bit of a perfect storm. I'm surprised that braking was such an issue on the P1, even if the ABS is weaker. That is where downforce should be very effective (though I notice that the 918 doesn't have a downforce figure in the MT article, how much is it making?).

If we're being strictly accurate, Porsche Design is a separate entity from the car manufacturer - just like Rolls-Royce Motor Cars has absolutely nothing to do with the Rolls-Royce aerospace engine company. It's owned by Porsche (unlike Rolls-Royce/Rolls-Royce) but otherwise has no relation to the cars.

Which is probably why, as you say, all the stuff is surprisingly tasteful. And there are no Porsche-branded teddy bears or 911-shaped USB sticks. It's essentially a Porsche-owned firm that makes boutique goods, rather than a firm that makes Porsche-branded crap to sell in their showrooms.

They have their apparel arm just the same as every other high end manufacturer. I just think it's ignorant to spout a bunch of biased hogwash about purity when I can, in fact, go to the biggest mall in my city and walk into a Porsche store that does not sell cars. I can't do that with Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or any other car make.

I loved that long, lingering shot from above at the end of the video. The overall form and shape of the two cars is nigh-on identical. It'll always be the F1 for me, though.

They have their apparel arm just the same as every other high end manufacturer. I just think it's ignorant to spout a bunch of biased hogwash about purity when I can, in fact, go to the biggest mall in my city and walk into a Porsche store that does not sell cars. I can't do that with Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or any other car make.
Biased it may be - everyone on this forum has their manufacturer preferences - but it's still not hogwash. A Porsche Design store has a different relationship to Porsche than a Ferrari Store has to Ferrari. Porsche design is a product design company that happens to be owned by Porsche. Ferrari stores sell red stuff emblazoned with yellow Ferrari crests.

Of course, Porsche does sell branded merchandise - you can see it if you go to an actual Porsche showroom (toy cars, keyrings, watches etc, with the actual Porsche crest on them). But unless the Porsche store in your town actually sells merchandise - rather than being a Porsche Design store which doesn't - then @Stotty still makes a valid point. Porsche does seem to whore its logo out less than Ferrari and the brand does have a significantly lower whiff of BS than Ferrari does.

For the record, I have no particular allegiance to either manufacturer - my thing is silly French cars. You should see some of their shops...

Despite less power and more weight, the 918 proves to be quicker than the P1... no sign of the La Ferrari :rolleyes:

No wonder McLaren never claimed a real Nurburgring time.

One of my favourite videos on youtube. Perfectly encompasses what an achievement the 918 is.

Not sure if this is really the best place to post this, but seems relevant to the discussion...

More evidence that Porsche keep on producing cars that just deliver... 991 Turbo S, on standard P Zeros, with no support, just beat a Ferrari Speciale on cup tyres with full factory support, round Anglesey by 0.6s, and a standard MY15 GTR by 3s :crazy:

Not sure if this is really the best place to post this, but seems relevant to the discussion...

More evidence that Porsche keep on producing cars that just deliver... 991 Turbo S, on standard P Zeros, with no support, just beat a Ferrari Speciale on cup tyres with full factory support, round Anglesey by 0.6s, and a standard MY15 GTR by 3s :crazy:

Probably better to put it in the 911 thread just in case. 👍

The 911 Turbo is probably one of the most underrated sports cars based on the looks alone. That car is such a beast for something that doesn't appear all that different from a Carrera. However, that video also highlights why Porsche may not build a 991 GT2.

Back