The McLaren F1... erh... P1 Thread

• Thread starter deba94
  • 719 comments
Leaked pics of P1 GTR

10608907_10204694412346066_68017956_n.jpg

10609276_10204694412626073_1386354201_n.jpg

10621002_10204694411866054_32897691_n.jpg

10589804_10204694412786077_1118422788_n.jpg

What class of racing do you think it will compete in? Probably not GT3 'cause the 650S has already got that one covered :P

Sorry if I'm just painfully unaware of something.

So I discovered a problem with the P1, at least for me. It's very underwhelming in person. I expected to be totally wowed by it, but I was more impressed with the 650S.

What class of racing do you think it will compete in? Probably not GT3 'cause the 650S has already got that one covered :P Sorry if I'm just painfully unaware of something.
That's the problem, It looks like it's too fast to compete in anything.

No, I don't think that McLaren is insane enough to spend time and money on a racing car only to have it be useless.
It would have had its power cut, and maybe had some weight stripping along with omission of a bunch of the electronic gizmos.

So I discovered a problem with the P1, at least for me. It's very underwhelming in person. I expected to be totally wowed by it, but I was more impressed with the 650S.
:scared:
I've heard the opposite but have not had the fortune of seeing one in person myself yet.
You get any pic's by any chance?

:scared:
I've heard the opposite but have not had the fortune of seeing one in person myself yet.
You get any pic's by any chance?
I got one but it's not very good, and it's on a phone that I can't really get it off of. :indiff: I don't know why, but I just wasn't very impressed with the one I saw. It looked a bit, well, cheap.

I thought that GTE was in a lower class of performance than GT3. If I'm wrong, please feel free to enlighten me.

Actually, enlighten me on the difference between GT3 and GTE regardless.

The P1 GTR is just like LaFerrariXX - a customer ready-to-race testbed. It is not for any series, but...
During the pressconference at Spa 24, Stephane Ratel hinted on a new project, called the “Ultracar Sports Club”, inviting owners of cars such as the Maserati MC12, Aston Martin 777, Ferrari Enzo FXX, McLaren P1, Porsche 918… to run on track during two of the most exclusive events on the calendar.

Would love to see a field of this:
McLaren P1 GTR
LaFerrariXX
Pagani Zonda R-evolucion
Lamborghini Veneno
Koenigsegg One:1
Porsche 918 RSR

Next season, the two most exclusive events surely would be Spa 24 and Paul Ricard 1000km.

Last edited:
GTE maybe?

Why would be GTE as @Mt. Lynx and @McLaren and others have said it is a customer series that they plane to run and help transport the cars to the tracks and train the guys how to race. McLaren announced it a few months ago if I remember right.

Also even if it wasn't a customer based class and storage similar to the FXX, it would be to much money to build a specialized P1 GTE when the GT3 class isn't all that different in build and speed. It'd be much cheaper to do the simple conversion kit over to GTE from GT3 and then race the 650 as so.

Also the speeds and class are on the same level it's the driver performance and experience that usually differs depending on the series @Not_A_Guest to help you as well with this.

Why would be GTE as @Mt. Lynx and @McLaren and others have said it is a customer series that they plane to run and help transport the cars to the tracks and train the guys how to race. McLaren announced it a few months ago if I remember right.

Also even if it wasn't a customer based class and storage similar to the FXX, it would be to much money to build a specialized P1 GTE when the GT3 class isn't all that different in build and speed. It'd be much cheaper to do the simple conversion kit over to GTE from GT3 and then race the 650 as so.

Also the speeds and class are on the same level it's the driver performance and experience that usually differs depending on the series @Not_A_Guest to help you as well with this.
IIRC McLaren did build the 650S GT3 with an intention to be able to fairly easy convert it to GTE (or more likely, the other way around, since regs in GT3 are less restrictive). But it will first and foremost race as a GT3 car.

IIRC McLaren did build the 650S GT3 with an intention to be able to fairly easy convert it to GTE (or more likely, the other way around, since regs in GT3 are less restrictive). But it will first and foremost race as a GT3 car.

That was my point, all I'm saying is there currently is a GT3 car (650S) and thus there is theoretically a current GTE car in the same thought. Making the P1 a GTE car and have to build it and manufacture them alongside another car in their line up that is also one, is bad business and just not going to happen.

I mean it's not like McLaren is GM, and even a big company like GM really shouldn't have 3 or 4 different GT3 cars.

I think that is one of the charms with the GT3 concept. Anyone can build and homologate any suitable car for racing. Reiter has built the Camaro GT3, Callaway will make a C7 GT3, and there are rumors of a factory Cadillac GT3. Similarly, VW has Audi, Porsche, Bentley and Lamborghini going head to head.

I thought that GTE was in a lower class of performance than GT3. If I'm wrong, please feel free to enlighten me.

GTE- Am, Pro. Classes in the WEC, including Le Mans and the N24.
GT3- cars which aren't suited to the GTE regs, compete in a different championship. Cars like the Nissan GTR, Mclaren MP4-12c, SLS AMG all compete in it.

And I do think it'll be a trackday toy. The 650s has GT3 covered (also, the regulations for Le Mans are changing to move GT3 in line with GTE, so I'd say GTE= 650s)

I can only see the P1 running EXP1 or Garage 56 at endurance races.

Pretty underwhelmed by how the GTR turned out, to be honest. I must be too used to Zonda R's and FXXs's. Hopefully a plainbody road version looks a little more menacing.

GTE has a tight set of rules. The cars must weigh no less than 1250kg. They have around 500bhp. Very trick aero. Max car width is 2010mm (IIRC). They regulate speed with different waivers, paired with a balance of performance. Wich leads to GT3, wich relies entirely on BoP. Basically, you can build anything you want, but it can't be faster than the slowest car in the field.

In GT3, a vast pre-season test is undertaken, where they BoP all participants. Usually one or two adjustments are made to the BoP during the season.
In GTE, the BoP is continuos throughout the season, since unlike GT3, there is no freeze in dev during the season.

In relative terms, GTE is sightly quicker than GT3, despite GT3 having around 100 ponies more.

So what if Mclaren decides to use a G56 entry...or...LMP1-H. O_O (okay a little ridiculous but a thought none the less)

I remember on the Youtube channel DRIVE them talking about making a class in racing for Hypercars like the P1, LaFerrari, 918, and others. Would be a crazy class.

As it stands now, there a lot of different theories:
-There's going to be an "Ultra Supercar Challenge" involving entries from Porsche, Ferrari and Koenigsegg alike. While I would love to watch racing like this, it's simply unrealistic to assume that this is the case.
-Customer service racing and development like the FXX. Not a bad assumption, actually. We'll see how it turns out...
-GTE/ GT3 competition. That seems like it has a 1% chance of being true. the 650S is already running GT3 and can easily be converted to GTE regulations.
-That McLaren isn't as smart as we thought it was and made a car just for kicks. Or made the car just to have a model along the lines of the FXX and Zonda R-- absolutely useless (yeah, that's just my theory :P).

The most realistic scenario I can see for Mclaren's GTR programme is that it'll be in a similar vein to Ferrari's XX cars. The P1 GTR will most likely end up being used to develop technology that will be used in Mclaren's future road cars.

So what if Mclaren decides to use a G56 entry...or...LMP1-H. O_O (okay a little ridiculous but a thought none the less)

I remember on the Youtube channel DRIVE them talking about making a class in racing for Hypercars like the P1, LaFerrari, 918, and others. Would be a crazy class.

You mean like GT1 in the past...

You mean like GT1 in the past...
Yeah it would bring back the GT monsters of the 90's. :P I do realize though that it probably won't happen and its pretty much a fantasy lol. :lol: Other than that though, I can't imagine how much quicker this thing is going to be than an already mind blowingly fast (as Jeremy Clarkson said) standard P1. O_O

*Brutaka means link above me which has been shredded thank God.

Last edited:
Back