The MMA/Boxing Thread

• Thread starter Maccer_42
  • 909 comments
a BIG one for my side of the world this weekend .... UFC243 Whittaker Vs Adesanya.
Not looked forward to fight as much as this one for a long time, should be a good one !
Dont really know who I'm backing...Probably Adesanya as he is 100% fighting out of NZ...But Whittaker is half Kiwi... So in a way its a win win for me, but mainly just looking forward to good fight.

Yeah. UFC 243 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia; I believe. Hope you UFC fans get to enjoy this weekend.

Really disappointing performance by Whittaker. Sloppy, loading up on his punches, and keeping his hands down during the exchanges. Not taking anything away from Adesanya, but Whittaker lost that fight as much as Adesanya won it.

Adesanya's walkout intro was pretty Epic and to deliver a win too was pretty damn smooth after that entrance!! Robert looked super nervous whilst Bruce was introducing them .. Great fight all in all but cant wait to see Adesanya v the juice monkey next haha that will be crazy ;)👍

Dan Hooker was brilliant against Al and his call out of Dustin was blunt and to the point.. That will be a belter also ;) Great night of fights :cheers:

Here's Adesanya's intro for anyone who missed it 👍

A good night of fights 👍

In all honesty I don't have much time to keep up with all UFC action these days, therefore haven't seen much of Adesanya's fights leading up to this, didn't realize he is such a showboat ! Generally I dont like the showboat style guys, I prefer action over talk...But I now know Adesanya can definitely walk the walk as well as talk the talk. Didn't even really see the KO blow live, wasn't until they replayed it that I saw just how clever his striking was :eek:.
I still like Whittaker and hope he comes back to challenge again.

And as @Mr P mentioned... Dan Hooker was very impressive, appears to be a very smart fighter. Hope he gets what he's looking for... A couple of champions fighting out of NZ will go down nicely :).

Preliminary UFC fights are about to take place in mere moments from Boston. So you UFC fans enjoy some UFC action tonight!

Cant wait for Saturdays card at MSG which for me is head and shoulders above all the other cards this year!! 👍 Here's the build up for the main event.. I'm simply counting the hours now until blast off ;)

And here's the line up of all the nights fights for reference...

Main Card
Jorge Masvidal v Nate Diaz
Kelvin Gastelum v Darren Till
Stephen Thompson v Vicente Luque
Derrick Lewis v Blagoy Ivanov
Kevin Lee v Gregor Gillespie

Prelims
Cory Anderson v Johnny Walker
Shane Burgos v Makwan Amirkhani
Brad Tavares v Edmon Shahbazyan
Andrei Arlovski v Jairzinho Rozenstruik

Early Prelims
Katlyn Chookagian v Jennifer Maia
Lyman Good v Chance Rencountre
Julio Acre v Hakeem Dawodu

This is an exceptionally good card guys.. Don't miss out ;)👍

Last edited:
Cant wait for Saturdays card at MSG which for me is head and shoulders above all the other cards this year!! 👍 Here's the build up for the main event.. I'm simply counting the hours now until blast off ;)

And here's the line up of all the nights fights for reference...

Main Card
Jorge Masvidal v Nate Diaz
Kelvin Gastelum v Darren Till
Stephen Thompson v Vicente Luque
Derrick Lewis v Blagoy Ivanov
Kevin Lee v Gregor Gillespie

Prelims
Cory Anderson v Johnny Walker
Shane Burgos v Makwan Amirkhani
Brad Tavares v Edmon Shahbazyan
Andrei Arlovski v Jairzinho Rozenstruik

Early Prelims
Katlyn Chookagian v Jennifer Maia
Lyman Good v Chance Rencountre
Julio Acre v Hakeem Dawodu

This is an exceptionally good card guys.. Don't miss out ;)👍

Definitely card of the year potential here. And very fitting for the 500th live UFC event. Gastelum v Till has fireworks written all over it, and it'll be interesting to see how a significantly less drained Till fares at Middleweight.

Of course Masvidal v Diaz will be a fantastic fight no matter where it goes, and thankfully it's a 5 round fight. Be interesting to see what the go is with the BMF belt and if it really will be a one and done title or if it'll become something like an openweight title and it'll pass through multiple divisions as the holder goes up or down in weight.

Kevin Lee v Gregor Gillespie should be a good fight to watch, and a heavy ground game fight. Can Kevin Lee reenergize his career with this move to Tristar and training under Firas Zahabi (who coached GSP), or will Gillespie continue his steady rise through the LW rankings. It's a tough one to pick for me.

Finally, I'm interested in seeing if Johnny Walker can continue his run through LHW and get a decisive win over Anderson. He has been on the shelf with a pretty serious shoulder injury, and there have been some reports by people who have seen him train that he's not healed as well as they had hoped and his power and technique has suffered a little. I think Anderson wrestles him to a decision win, but I hope I'm wrong.

This Saturday is a big boxing match in Premier Boxing Champions. It's "The Bronze Bomber" Deontay Wilder vs. Luis "King Kong" Ortiz II. I don't know about L. Ortiz, but I know D. Wilder's a bad dude. So it would be a bit tough to go against Wilder in this upcoming fight.

How do you ring in the new year? By ringing peoples' heads in the MMA ring, of course! That's true especially if you are a fan of the Professional Fighters League. Tonight, six different championship fights will be played out tonight at Madison Square Garden. So while people will see a ball drop in NYC, some others will get to see PFL fighters knock the daylights out of their opponents. ESPN2 will show the action on TV tonight.

So enjoy tonight's action!

It's Bout Time, GTPlanet! We got some action tonight in UFC and Top Rank. In the UFC ranks, it's UFC 246 with the major card being Connor McGregor vs. Cowboy Cerrone. For you boxing fans, Top Rank will have a battle between Eleider Alvarez vs. Michael Seals tonight.

Enjoy whatever action tickles your fancy- be it boxing or MMA!

Wow Conor is no joke at Welterweight!! Obliterated Donald in 40 seconds damn!! that is gonna shake up that division something crazy :D:tup:

I doubt Cowboy would do that.. I think he was pretty nervous on the big stage and took a massive beating really quick is all, his face looked like he went 5 rounds and it was less than a minute :scared: Cant wait to see Conor v Jorge next hopefully in March or April 👍

I'm absolutely shocked that people are surprised that McGregor beat Cerrone in 40 seconds. Cerrone's best performances are past him, whilst McGregor is just hitting his prime now. Cerrone has demonstrated that he can't really take shots anymore with all the miles on him, so this was nothing more than a "go get a highlight KO" fight for Conor. The matchup was a stylistic dream for McGregor. That being said, I'm happy as I won $120 off of McGregor winning in the first minute of the fight.

As for what should be next for McGregor, at Welterweight, a matchup with Masvidal or Covington makes sense to me, and at Lightweight, a rematch with Poirier or a fight with Gaethje are the most sensible choices. There are a lot of interesting fights for Conor at both weights, let's just hope they give him a proper challenge this time and not a stylisitcally easy tune up fight.

I doubt Cowboy would do that.. I think he was pretty nervous on the big stage and took a massive beating really quick is all, his face looked like he went 5 rounds and it was less than a minute :scared: Cant wait to see Conor v Jorge next hopefully in March or April 👍
I missed how devastating those last two hits with McGregor's shoulder were. Looked like the second one may have broke Cerrone's nose.

Yeah I don't think Cerrone is the type that would ever their a fight, I reckon he would disgusted people think that he's capable of it. He just got tagged early. It was always going to be a fight suited to Conor but the shoulders busted him and he didn't recover.

If you're a racing fan that also likes some good fights, try this weekend's UFC action while enjoying this weekend's 24 Hours of Daytona. Being promoted is the match between Blaydes and Dos Santos. So it's something you may want to check out if you're a UFC fan. The action happens on Saturday at 8:00 PM Eastern Time.

An outlook for February...

* UFC 247 is this month. Here in Houston, too, I believe.

* No doubt the biggest boxing match this month will be Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury. Both undefeated. Second meeting between these two.

If I could, I'd love to see the Wilder/Fury fight later this month. Enjoy whatever MMA and/or boxing action in February 2020! :) 👍

Let me go a bit more in detail with the outlook of matches for February 2020.

* UFC 247 is this Saturday (February 8) here in my home/native town of Houston, Texas, USA. I read the main event for UFC 247 is a lightweight clash between Jon Jones and Dominick Reyes.

* The second meeting between Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury will be on February 22, 2020 from Las Vegas, NV, USA. The night before Super Bowl LIV, I saw a video of the first meeting of Wilder vs. Fury. D. Wilder knocked down Tyson Fury late in the 12th round. However, the match was declared a draw. Let me tell you something- Wilder and Fury are two bad dudes! This fight is for you smashmouth boxing fans. Nothing pretty about either of these two guys. That's going to be a great fight. I'm probably sure Deontay Wilder thinks he can knock out Fury again, and this time, win the fight unanimously. Tyson Fury isn't going to let that happen so easily, though.

Again- coming up is UFC 247. It will 'bout time be bout time again!

You folks enjoy UFC 247! There won't be any JohnBM01 sightings at UFC 247 here in Houston, but it will be great having the UFC here in Houston tonight.

That had to be one of the worst nights for judging in UFC history. Joe Solis had two absolutely bizarre scorecards tonight and should have his scoring credentials revoked. How he scored that fight 49-46 to Jones is downright crazy. I can understand 48-47 Jones, but I strongly believe Reyes won that 48-47 today. He challenged Jones more than he had ever been challenged before, more than DC, Gus or Santos. It's crazy to think that according to the judges, Santos challenged Jones more than Reyes did. I feel so much for Reyes.

All in all, they need to completely rehaul the scoring and judging systems. Too many careers are being screwed over because of incompetent judges.

Wow Conor is no joke at Welterweight!! Obliterated Donald in 40 seconds damn!! that is gonna shake up that division something crazy :D:tup:

I like this "new" Conor. More focused on whats happening in the ring and less with what is happening outside the ring.

I apologize that I forgot to post this yesterday, but on yesterday (February 11) in 1990...

Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson. The knockout occurred in Tokyo, Japan in the 10th round of this fight. It basically served as a notice that Mike Tyson COULD be beaten. Once I read some YouTube comments, I learned Buster Douglas was fighting with a heavy heart, as his mother died a few weeks ago before this Tyson-Douglas fight. I bet nobody thought Tyson could possibly be bested in any fight until Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson. Well... everybody except Little Mac.

Even the best athletes with illustrious careers have their worst moments and their worst defeats.

HEADS UP!

FOX will be showing Premier Boxing Champions boxing from Nashville, Tennessee in mere moments. The main card for this night of boxing will be an IBF super middleweight match between Caleb Plant and Vincent Feigenbutz. So I hope you PBC fans get to enjoy tonight's action.

[OMISSION] Tonight also brings some UFC action with one of the matches being Anderson vs Blachowicz.

Tomorrow night may be one of the best boxing nights in quite a long time when Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury will go at it in Las Vegas. This is the second meeting between these two. I haven't ordered this fight or anything, but I think this is going to be a pretty epic fight unless some kind of chicanery or controversy happens. Let me ask for those of you inclined to respond... who you got in this one- Wilder or Fury?

Tonight is the second meeting of Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury. That's for you boxing fans. Those of you into MMA will be proud to know UFC action is tonight, with one of the matches being Felder vs. Hooker.

Enjoy any boxing or MMA action tonight!

I will be watching both the Boxing and the UFC tonight.. I want Fury to win the boxing match but I see Wilder and that big punch landing at some point of the fight and putting Tyson to sleep for real this time.. Fury is the better boxer for sure but he doesn't have knockout power and as Wilder says himself they need 12 rounds to beat him but he only needs 1 second to land the send you to sleep punch.. GL to Tyson I hope he wins 👍

Felder v Hooker is gonna be a slugfest I reckon Hooker will claw through to victory just due to how tough he is .. I saw this guy getting cracked so hard and yet he just keeps coming! Felder is super tough and thats what makes this fight so appealing.. no one will back down and this will be close range boxing in a phone booth!! can't wait for this mad fight woohooo!!! Roll on tonight :cool:👍

Back