The Most Confusing Motor Racing Event of All Time

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 267 comments
@half_sourly @IfAndOr @richroo @tal @Don Mejillone @Hun200kmh @Madbigdog @Oldbass47

Chaps, I understand that there might have been some confusion in Scotland, as to which cars were available to those not handicapped. I don't want to mess up anyone's race at R.A. so I'll try to explain. DON'T USE THE LOTUS UNLESS YOU ARE PAUL, DUARTE OR THE IDIOT WHO INCLUDED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!

The class of car we are using in the first race is Vintage Prototype B. The cars we are using from that class are the Lotus and the Porsche.

Paul, Duarte and Zo are the handicapped drivers at R.A. and are forced to use the Lotus. Everyone else can use it if they want, but I would strongly advise against that, on account of the fact that it's very reluctant to turn, and when in a turn, it feels that it knows better how to deal with the situation than you do. There is a constant noisy and disagreeable argument going on between the steering, throttle, brakes, chassis and tyres. Chapman was, I am told, an engineering genius. I think he was on holiday when the Lotus 40 was designed.

The Porsche, on the other hand, is an absolute delight. I suggest that you use it if you can.

And Paul is correct fellas, the second race is the V8 Supercar class, in which there is only the Ford Falcon. So we'll all be in the same type of car.

Last edited:
Hi @Zolon32 ,

I’m a bit confused, is it Porsche 917 (Proto A) or 908/03 Spyder (Proto B)?

If 917, I can see two available for Proto A.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I guess it is the 908 (it's the only Porsche featured in Prototype B)

Maybe Zolon's confusion comes from the fact that this particular 908 featured in the game indeed looks much more like a 917 Spyder
IMG-20221025-WA0044.jpeg

And nothing like a 908 Spyder

IMG-20221025-WA0019.jpeg

Must be a late version of the 908 ... :odd:

I think Zo means the group B 908. The 917 would disappear into the distance and leave the Lotus well behind.

My question is; what happened to the first 899 Porsches?

The Ferdinand tank destroyer, a bit slower around the Nordschleife I would think. Mind you, they could take a shortcut. Did they do a GT3 version?

tal
Hi @Zolon32 ,

I’m a bit confused, is it Porsche 917 (Proto A) or 908/03 Spyder (Proto B)?

If 917, I can see two available for Proto A.

Thanks!
Hi Hartur, it's all Mario's fault, he put that idea in my head through some weird voodoo type of thing because he likes it so much. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it.

Truth is, the option car is the Porsche 908. It's an absolutely beautiful motor :grumpy:

Oh, I've just checked with my secretary.. It appears that the reason for the confusion is that I'm an idiot!

Last edited:
Hi Hartur, it's all Mario's fault, he put that idea in my head through some weird voodoo type of thing because he likes it so much.

Well, in my defense I did the voodoo thing because, unlike the 908 (6 and 8 cylinders depending on year), the 917 featured a ... wait for it ...

FLAT TWELVE

engine! :D

Perhaps an update to the opening post would help? ;)
Opening post?

Well, in my defense I did the voodoo thing because, unlike the 908 (6 and 8 cylinders depending on year), the 917 featured a ... wait for it ...

FLAT TWELVE

engine! :D
Wouldn't you prefer a rather perky twelve engine Mario?

EDIT

I'm making my way home from Ipswich after the match today chaps. The travelling time should see me back before eight, but it might be tight. If I'm not on line at the appropriate time, have no fear, I will be there very soon.

Last edited:
Tell me what I need do to get ready. You start at 8:00 UK time? I believe that's 3:00 my time
Yep 8pm over here. There's usually a practice room open beforehand which you can join where you can ask any questions. I'll try and get on earlier than usual to send you an invite - although I'm sure you're still on other drivers lists.

As I type this I see @Napalm_LT has opened a lobby.

Hi @slthree ,

Hartur here.

It was me you bumped into at the start of the 1st race. I tried telling in the end, but my mic’s sound is a bit poor, so I wasn’t audible.

Don’t worry about it at all, bumping into each other happens all the time. ;) And it didn’t cause any impact in my race. Hope you enjoyed it, and see you in the next races.

By the way @Zolon32 , I won’t be able to join next 2 races.

Have fun!

Last edited:
tal
Hi @slthree ,

Hartur here.

It was me you bumped into at the start of the 1st race. I tried telling in the end, but my mic’s sound is a bit poor, so I wasn’t audible.

Don’t worry about it at all, bumping into each other happens all the time. ;) And it didn’t cause any impact in my race. Hope you enjoyed it, and see you in the next races.

By the way @Zolon32 , I won’t be able to join next 2 races.

Have fun!
I'm going to copy what I put in the messaging thread on the PS app

---------------------
Ok. I just got around to watching the start of the first race where I knew I hit somebody because I jumped the start. It was Hartur I hit.

I don't know who that is and I don't know if they're on this thread but I am very, very sorry for that. The guys who know me will tell you my first goal is never to make somebody else's race miserable and that was not intentional and I am really sorry

I'm used to playing PC2 on single player and my starts are automatic so I'm always in first gear with no brake pressed.

Please, for you guys who've been around a long time would you let Hartur know, That's not my style. I feel terrible for having done that my first time back.
-------------------
The start of any race is important because someone can come from the back and take advantage of a mistake or two in the front and gain places. My mistake robbed you of that opportunity and I'm so sorry.

Just because It wasn't intentional doesn't mean it didn't negatively impact your race.

So sorry

For next week, will you be assigning us either the Aston or the Mustang or do we select the one we can control better? Lol.

Same question for the second race:

I don't mind finishing last in the race but I would like to avoid getting lapped.

Am I able to select whichever cars are easiest for me to drive? I'm asking because I'd like to practice. If I practice, it will be a better experience for everybody around me

@slthree send me a friend request (FLAT_TWELVE) I will send you an invite next time I'm playing. Btw I should play some PCars2 later tonight if you're interested

For next week, will you be assigning us either the Aston or the Mustang or do we select the one we can control better? Lol.

Same question for the second race:
Sorry for not clearing this up earlier. The first race with be the GT4 cars, the Aston, and either Mustang. The Aston will be the handicap car on account of the fact that it is just a little more difficult to wrangle around the circuit than the Fords. This means that anyone who isn't currently in the top three in the championship can use any of the three.

Regarding the second race... it would appear that my suspect mental health has got the better of me again. Only a lunatic would choose to race the Gr6 cars around Oulton Park (It's the International version of the circuit, by the way). So, the Spyder and Alpine are being wheeled back into the shed just for now, while suitable cars are selected for race 2.
Aston and Mustang from from Gr4 followed by Gr 6 motors. ???? Give us a clue please Zolon.
Apologies to you too Bass. I hope the above covers it. Check out the Aston and two Mustangs, and see which you get on with best.

EDIT: At the moment I expect that the Gr6 cars will be replaced by the BMW2002 Stanceworks in the second race, that's the 2002 (model type, not year) version. There is a much newer Stanceworks, but we're not using that. The Stanceworks was going to be raced at Spa, but that would probably be a better circuit for the Gr6 monsters, so this is a straight swap. I will confirm by end if business, 23rd November.

Last edited:
Oh dear... I'm traveling tomorrow and will only return Sunday so tonight was probably my one and only chance to check out the cars. My findings:

1. The Aston is waaaaaaayyy better than the Mustang. Faster and easier to drive (don't use TCS so maybe the Mustang is easier with TCS?) On a first race with each my best laptime with the Aston was about 2 seconds better than it was with the Mustang. My advice to everybody is: pick the Aston.

2. Not being aware of the change of cars I tested the Porsche (raeggee went with the Alpine because of the handicap). And for this one the Alpine is truly slower, at least 3 seconds per lap.

3. Then again, and this is valid for both races, Oulton Park is a circuit where it is very easy to make a very costly mistake, about 8 times per lap, so consistency, more than speed, is required.

Have fun with your practising, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, as for PS4 playing I'll see you at Oulton Park next Monday! :cheers:

Last edited:
so tonight was probably my one and only chance to check out the cars.
I saw the invite Mario, thanks, but it was getting a little late and my bed was calling.

@Zolon32 it shows how difficult it is knowing how others drive the cars when picking an handicap contender. Like Mario I think I'd prefer the Aston too! Instead of you having to pick one, could I suggest for this week that maybe you have an open GT4 category and let everyone pick one. It might be safer around tricky (but fun) Oulton if everyone is in a car they like.
The 2002 Stanceworks is great, well suited to Oulton I'd think.

Last edited:
Not being aware of the change of cars I tested the Porsche (raeggee went with the Alpine because of the handicap). And for this one the Alpine is truly slower, at least 3 seconds per lap.
Sorry about the change Mario, but hopefully getting a few laps in on the circuit will allow you to slip into the Stanceworks reasonably easily.

Okay, so, fellas. The car line-up at Oulton Park International will be:

Race 1. GT4 Aston and the two Mustangs. Take you pick, anyone can drive any of them.

Race 2. BMW 2002 Stanceworks. Everyone drives the same car.

Phew, glad we've got that sorted.

Edit. Sorry, I have no idea why there's lines through the text :dunce:

Last edited:
Back