The Most Confusing Motor Racing Event of All Time

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 267 comments
Chaps, I'm going to be that irritating guy again...

Although chatting while we free practice and maybe even qualify is okay, I struggle to concentrate during the race if there is chat or if someone's mic is not muted, poor quality/poorly connected and it sounds like they are constantly opening a packet of crisps. I looked but unfortunately PC2 does not have volume for the chat part alone, so the only option, which I chose for the last couple of laps this Monday, is to turn my headphone volume to zero and not have any sound. Not so great for racing if you can't hear the engine and tyres, but better than the alternative.

Would it be okay if we revert to mics off during the races? If you need to tell someone the game is telling you to give back a place, or you want to thank someone for giving you space to lap them, all good, but mute otherwise.

If I'm the odd one out here, let me know.

I'm with you all the way Half. Background noise and chatter can be a real distraction. I must admit that, on the occasions I have found myself to in a position to hound Mario, I have enjoyed listening to his spotter saying "For god's sake Mario, get your foot down, he's reading a newspaper now. This really is taking the P."

That being as it may, and I know that we're all a very sociable group here, but please do mute your mikes during the racing chaps, to allow people to concentrate fully on the task at hand, it's only polite.

Hang on, I thought I was the odd one out! And well done with your GT7 achievements, I didn't know you'd shot up the ranks. 👍
One of these days when it's in a good sale I might give it a go.

328366-Silence-Is-Golden.jpg

It is Division 1 in the GTP WRS time trial events, run for GT Planet drivers. They have divisions 1 through 3 with bronze, silver and gold categories in each division. Placement/ promotion is based on relative results.

Each week there is a track-car combination in the time trial section of the world circuits part of GT7. We're on week 33 with the KTM X-Bow at Tsukuba this week. Anyone on GTP can join. The joining and taking part instructions appear a bit complicated, but basically you go do the time trials, save your best lap replay and post your time by using a fetchbot link in that week's thread. Once the provisional results thread is opened, share your lap and people check each other's laps. If you want to you can share interim times on the thread.

It is good fun and I find it a decent way to measure progress over time. You should have a look. Numbers are a bit low so it would be good to have more people join.

I like time trials, I'm usually quite good at them. I'm better when there's no one around. 🙂
PC3's Rivals mode was ideal. When it didn't crash the game.

Phew, glad we've got that sorted.
Edit. Sorry, I have no idea why there's lines through the text :dunce:
I'm liking the change of name for the thread and this post by Zo really goes along with that theme. :lol:

It's the strike though option you've activated unintentionally somehow.
Screenshot_2022-11-23-18-43-16-311.jpg

Highlight the text and click the button in blue to deselect.

I'm looking forward to the 2002 Stanceworks. Maybe @Napalm_LT might be tempted to stay, I think it's one one his favourites?

Last edited:
Would it be okay if we revert to mics off during the races? If you need to tell someone the game is telling you to give back a place, or you want to thank someone for giving you space to lap them, all good, but mute otherwise.
100% in agreement with you Half. I enjoy the chat during practice but I can see how in the race it would be distracting. Not just the chat but hearing people's spotter and hearing people's clicking of their gear shift paddles.

I have a quick mute button on my headset which I only release when I need to ask a question.

I do, however like to hear from you faster guys who are close to lapping me, in the event I'm so focused I don't notice you.
It is Division 1 in the GTP WRS time trial events, run for GT Planet drivers. They have divisions 1 through 3 with bronze, silver and gold categories in each division. Placement/ promotion is based on relative results.

Each week there is a track-car combination in the time trial section of the world circuits part of GT7. We're on week 33 with the KTM X-Bow at Tsukuba this week. Anyone on GTP can join. The joining and taking part instructions appear a bit complicated, but basically you go do the time trials, save your best lap replay and post your time by using a fetchbot link in that week's thread. Once the provisional results thread is opened, share your lap and people check each other's laps. If you want to you can share interim times on the thread.

It is good fun and I find it a decent way to measure progress over time. You should have a look. Numbers are a bit low so it would be good to have more people join
Half, that is an extremely detailed post. Very unselfish of you to spend that much time putting that together for us.

Thank you so much for explaining it. I might give that a try.

@Zolon32 Is it decided that we're selecting ANY GT4 car?

EDIT Never mind on that question. I thought it was decided but I reread and saw that @IfAndOr had made that suggestion but it wasn't implemented.

I just saw the post that indicated we would select one of the two GT4 cars. I missed it first time around because the text had lines going through it so I thought we were not meant to read that.

EDIT: The 3092 StanceWorks BMW is surprisingly nice to drive.

What a testament to this game that I've had it since 2017 and I've never driven this car. @Zolon32 I'm glad you selected it.

Last edited:
So jealous I missed the race. My wife forced me to take a COVID test and I have COVID for the first time. I thought I could escape it and be the only person who never got it. I thought wrong

So jealous I missed the race. My wife forced me to take a COVID test and I have COVID for the first time. I thought I could escape it and be the only person who never got it. I thought wrong
Sorry to hear that and hope you recover from it soon.

A sensible wife @slthree. Take it easy for a few days and hopefully you'll be feeling better.

I've managed to avoid catching it but I feel it's always best to take precautions.
Screenshot_2022-11-29-10-14-56-881.jpg

Ok, quick recap

Race 1 - If my memory doesn't fool me I did second on the grid, behind @Zolon32 , and I ended 2nd at the flag, behind Zolon. But there's more to it than that, because I blundered a few times and I guess the end result just means all others (Zolon excluded) blundered one more, so I don't take much pride in this. Zolon's race, however, was flawless, lights to flag at a pace nobody could match. Well done! 👍

PS - Worthy of mention is the fact that raeggee kept very close to me until he decided to enter the pits and then park the car to watch the Portugal-Uruguay game. Considering he was the championship leader until that race, I guess he gets my "patriot of the race" award! :D

Race2 - I was surprised by just how much I loved driving this car around Oulton Park. Entering quali I had no idea what to expect (had done just two laps with it in a pre-race practise lobby) but suddenly it all "clicked" and I got pole position with @half_sourly sharing first row in 2nd (sorry don't remember where everyone else ended up on the grid). I thought it strange that Zolon wasn't being as impecably fast with this as he was with the Aston, and I think I may have disturbed at least two of his quali laps because we ended up sharing the same space on track for a while. Sorry about that Zo.

The race was a mess ... I took off from pole and built a nice gap but then had an off at the chicane that sent me into the grass, facing the wrong direction. I am unsure about rules in this championship regarding the reset button so I refrained from using it and manually brought the car back to the track but while doing it the pack of guys fighting for second up to that point (@half_sourly , @IfAndOr and @richroo ) went past. I managed to claw back into the lead after a few laps but in doing so got a 1 sec penalty. Come the last lap I had them all within 1 second (but only @half_sourly in 2nd had me worried because Paul and Rich had their own penalties by then) so I pushed and pushed ... I did manage to get the gap to 2nd slightly above 1 second, but something had to give and I did, messed it up in the double right hander before the big straight. Finished 4th on track but because of Rich's penalty (upgraded to 3 secs instead of one) I was awarded 3rd place. Few, an intense race, congratulations @half_sourly you managed to be both fast and consistent, something I obviously failed to achieve! 👍

Last edited:
Sorry about that Zo.
No problem at all Mario. It was my fault, I didn't research the car's handling deeply enough and went for stable. I simply couldn't get any more out of it at that. Hey ho.
Well done! 👍
he gets my "patriot of the race" award! :D
Here here. I don't know if it's possible with the draw, but wouldn't an England/Portugal final be brilliant. We could have a PS4 Party for the appropriate verbal shenannagins.

Zolon, one suggestion for the Spa race. Since the cars in both races are from the early to mid 1970's you could consider using the old layout (new layout is from 1979).

Truth be told, none of these cars raced at Spa (old or new), because the old layout was deemed too dangerous therefore F1 left it entirely between 1969 and 1983 (Zolder hosted the Belgian GP during that era) while the top tier of Sportscars left Spa after the 1975 race to return only in 1982.

EDIT - To add this video. It is a delight in its entirety but if anyone wants to just check Spa (old and new) just go directly to minute 6:30. Or just click the link here

Last edited:
@half_sourly @richroo @IfAndOr @Hun200kmh @tal @Madbigdog @Don Mejillone @Oldbass47 @Napalm_LT @slthree

Gents, there isn't any handicap car this Monday. The first race (15 laps) features the Lambo from the group GTO, and in the second race (13 laps) you have the choice of either the Audi or Renault in group B.

In the wet/snow the Audi is much quicker than the Renault, then the Renault is much quicker when the track begins to dry. Please do check them out folks and, if you can, try them out in the settings as we will see in the race (see below), because each of us will have a completely individual view on whether having speed in the dry or the snow is better for you.

So, to the settings. The date will be 9th July. Time, 13:00 with real time advance.

Qualifying weather will be in three sections; heavy snow, snow, heavy cloud. (I do expect the Audi to out-qualify the Renault.)

Race weather will be in three sections; snow, heavy cloud, light cloud. (I do expect the Renault to be charging very hard indeed after the Audi towards the end.)

Doh! Forgot to mention... Fellas, these cars start the race on cold tyres. And it's snowing. You will have much less grip than we are used to racing with, to the extent that, if you have your foot hard down in the Renault when the light goes green, you will almost certainly be into the wall within three nanoseconds. So, as they say at the beginning of all the best TV Cop series, Let's Be Careful Out There.

Last edited:
Glad you have been able to illustrate how beautifully controlable the Maxi is (For an international rally star) Mario :)

Don't forget folks, TC and ABS are available if you like. Roll on Monday, got my gloves, long johns and everything ready. Even got a spade in the boot.

That's not the Maxi, @Zolon32 . It's the previous version, the one that won the Monte Carlo in 1981.

Here's the Renault 5 Turbo (1981), a Group 4 car

d16035cfa1a0af40d715a6c7a81e2ef6bd90482c.png

And here's the Renault Maxi 5 Turbo (1985) a Group B car

8dda608c238dd8aca4c149bfc1bd7c268ecc1d38.png

Usually known with the sponsored livery(elf/Philips) used when it won the Corsica Rally of 1985

b6630485750ced3c48d54f3c72842a1abd8ec065.png

I am still to try this one and the Audi to decide what to use. Can you tell us how many laps will we have in monday's races?

Last edited:
And to save any confusion here's the Austin Maxi (non)Turbo.
Austin-Maxi-early-model.jpg

People often get them mixed up, especially with the deluxe fog light kit added.

Back