The New GTPlanet Scavenger Hunt...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,038 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same with a '64 Mercury Comet, where times range from 6.0/6.2s all the way to 11.4s.

Surely a '64 Mercury Comet is little more than a re-badged '64 Ford Falcon, or even a re-bodied '64 Mustang. The '64 289 Mustang, according to contemporary R&T test figures ran 0-60 in 8.9 with a 4-speed manual, the Comet came with either a 3-speed manual or 3-speed auto, it was probably heavier too and came only with the base 200bhp V8. I'd say the 11.4 figure is probably correct.

Cracker saves the day. Though with no other entries... I'm a shoe-in. Just like that oldest-BMW competition we had a while ago.

Booming Grannies:

'64 Mercury Comet driven by a pensioneer - around 11.4s
pict6081fn2.jpg

MGA driven by a pensioneer - 11.5s (Official figure, though Motor Magazine put it at 9.1 at the time)
pict6195em3.jpg

1967-1969 Dodge Dart - Supposedly 8.8s for the 318ci '74, which was larger and heavier than mine, while the 273ci '65 does 8.2s according to Car & Driver.
pict6131fe6.jpg

I have no idea which times pass "scrutineering", but those are the most reliable figures I found.

Oldest car on the road:

BMW 501 '53 (according to TheCracker - the 501 was produced '52-'64):
pict6092zg7.jpg

These were surely at some old car gathering or meet!

The Mercury wasn't, but I thought random carmeets are allowed in both the spotting-thread and this one? If not, I'll be happy with the Mercury - still the only entry in ANY category, so I might as well enter it in the Oldest Car category.

Mother Child (don't know how this will be judged: value difference, year difference, generation difference, amount of pairs?)

Pair of MLs

012220081336.jpg

Pair of Corollas

012220081344.jpg

Pair of Toyota Siennas

012220081345.jpg

Granpa car:

Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (0-60 10s flat)

012220081346.jpg

Independant tuner

Eurowerkz BMW

012220081327.jpg

012220081328.jpg

(someone can judge that last one, it was the only tuner car I could find in this -20C week)

Yet again, I have completely forgotten to do this! Weather has been horrible anyway. Scraping the bottom of the barrel though...

Fastest car most likely to be driven by an OAP
Honda Accord......... Euro-R
honaccordeurorgu7.jpg

141 MPH / 0-60MPH: 6.9 sec

Still scraping... (really hard with a wire brush)
Veilside Supra
toysupra00xfb2.jpg

I would have had entries for this week, but my camera was on vacation. It's a shame I wasn't on vacation with it...

Anyway, I would have had a 1923 Model T for the oldest car, and a deTomaso Charade for the Independant Tuner. Would the Charade have counted Gashly?

Anyway, I would have had a 1923 Model T for the oldest car, and a deTomaso Charade for the Independant Tuner. Would the Charade have counted Gashly?

Please call me Cheyne, Gashly is a little too close to Gastly for my liking :D

Your T would have been a good spot, but unfortunately the deTomaso wouldn't have counted as they are made in-house by Diahatsu under a licensing agreement between Daihatsu and DeTomaso. They are pretty cool little cars and in my opinion don't get the respect they deserve. In addition to the breathed on and turbo-charged engine they also featured unique Campagnolo wheels ana a Nardi steering wheel and shift knob.

Anyhoo, let the judgment comence:

1) Oldest car on the road - Must be driving on the road: Metar's Comet 1 point

2) Mother and Child Reunion - current generation model in the same photo as an example of the previous generation: exigeracer 1 point

3) Boomin' Grannies - Quickest car most likely to be driven by a pensioner: Rue's Accord Euro-R 1 point

4) Junker - Worst condition car still being driven: exigeracer's Caddy. I'm exercising some judging license as although it wasn't entered for this category it was in the worst condition of the cars submitted. 1 point

Bonus: exigeracer 1 point, Rue 1 point

Totals:

Exigeracer: 3 Points
Rue: 2 Points
Metar:1 Point

Exigeracer takes the win!

I do, however, want to mention that all entries apart from mine were late. 12PM GMT... ;)

Still, a point is a point.

I thought I should post up next weeks categories while I remember.

1) Fish out of water - Find a car that just shouldn't be where it is. Ie a Veyron at a ski-field with ski-racks, a beat up old Corolla parked outside a Five Star Hotel or a Smart Fortwo at a Monster Truck rally. Oddest example wins.

2) Towin' in the wind - Find an expensive car being towed by a towrope, towtruck or on a trailer. Car transporters don't count.

3)My rims, they be a spinnin'
spinners.gif
- Find the worst example of Spinners

4)My baby does 0-60 in 3.5 - Find the fastest car with a "Baby on Board" bumper sticker/window sign or a visible child seat.

Bonus: A Rolls-Royce in a colour other than white,black or silver.

Here are your targets for this week.

012820081440.jpg

What, does the sign mean I'm not supposed to intentionally ram this car? I never got the point of these signs other than the stupid flattered mothers who show off their babies to anyone and everyone. Wow, congratulations, you figured out how to reproduce. Nobody cares.

Suzuki Aerio SX. Slow as ****, so anything will arbitrarily top this. I hope to god this car doesn't win the category. Before I forget, here are next week's categories:

---------------------------------

Avant Garde - It seems that on a 20 minute walk around town, I'm bound to see 2 or 3 Audi wagons. How many can you spot in a week? Most Audi wagons gets a point. A tie would earn a point each.

Hardhats mandatory - Can you find a convertible hardtop? Retractible ones as seen on newer Mercedes, Volvo and BMW don't count. It has to be a completely removable shell. Boxsters have them, Miatas have them, BMW cabbies used to as well. Find them. Most wins, a tie would earn a point each.

Light is Right - Chapman philosophy: Add lightness. Lightest British car wins. Simple as it sounds.

And there was light - Rally stylin' light setup. Go out there and spot the Hellas, Bosch's or PIAAs. Most forward-facing aftermarket lights wins.

BONUS:

e31 - Find a BMW e31, which is the 8-series GT sold from 1989 to 1999. Look for the numbers 830, 840 and 850. It's a treat every time I see one of these handsome machines. I'd love to see one, and if you do, you'll get a point.

bmw-e31-b.jpg

Out of place - British Mini Cooper (with flags) in neon back streets of Hong Kong
mincooper00chc3.jpg

mincooper00abe4.jpg

Bonus - Blue Rolls
rolsilverspurlwb00axb1.jpg

Oh man, there's a M5 with gangsta rims in the lot behind a nasty mexican restaurant. :lol: (for 'out of place' category)

What, does the sign mean I'm not supposed to intentionally ram this car? I never got the point of these signs other than the stupid flattered mothers who show off their babies to anyone and everyone. Wow, congratulations, you figured out how to reproduce. Nobody cares.

Actually, it can also be for emergency medical personnel who come to the aid of the motorist. If the vehicle has been severely damaged, or rolled, a child and child seat may become dislodged and be unnoticed. The EMP may only rescue the driver and not notice the child. Scary and sad thought, but it has happened. There are also stickers for side windows that read "WHALE - We Have A Little Emergency", displayed to denote the same situation.

But yes, most people get them to be cute / funny, and show off that they can successfully get knocked up. Congratulations, you spread your legs. You're my hero :rolleyes:

Actually, it can also be for emergency medical personnel who come to the aid of the motorist. If the vehicle has been severely damaged, or rolled, a child and child seat may become dislodged and be unnoticed. The EMP may only rescue the driver and not notice the child. Scary and sad thought, but it has happened. There are also stickers for side windows that read "WHALE - We Have A Little Emergency", displayed to denote the same situation.

Never thought of that one. I can't imagine an emergency worker rolling up and seeing the cute sign and saying "Whoa guys! This car's got a BABY ON BOARD! Check for people in the car before pullin 'er to the scrap yard," but you do have a good point.

Here's a single week's worth of Audi estate spots:
audimontagejp5.jpg

(on one A6 I was actually shooting the Mitsubishi i, as it's the only one I've seen on the road, but caught the Audi in the frame. Also, please marvel in glory at the opportunity shot in #7... :D).

I count 6 A3 Sportbacks - if we're not including these in the total (they're effectively the 5 door A3, but just are estates), then that's 24 Avants instead of 30. Also, I caught an RS6 (#19) - bigger pic available if required :D

Also, my hardtopped cabriolets (why, people? WHY?) - SEVEN in total...

cabriohardtop1ne9.jpg

BMW Z3

cabriohardtop3kp8.jpg

MG MGF

cabriohardtop4tr9.jpg

Another burgundy MGF with a black hardtop..?

cabriohardtop6gv8.jpg

What the hell? A burgundy MGTF with a black hardtop?

cabriohardtop2xo3.jpg

Mazda Eunos Roadster

cabriohardtop5qn7.jpg

Vauxhall VX220

cabriohardtop7cm1.jpg

MGTF in blue with a blue hardtop! W00t!​

And my lightweight British cars:
lightbrit4kf2.jpg

2005 Lotus Elise 111R Touring - 830kg

lightbrit3av0.jpg

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - 730kg

lightbritmv2.jpg

1995 Rover Mini Cabriolet (shot from a different angle) - 750kg (1653lb)
1994 Rover Mini Cooper 1.3i - 695kg (1532lb)

lightbrit2ag8.jpg

1999 Rover Mini Cooper 1.3i - 695kg​

And the rally lights:

rallylightspw8.jpg

2003 MINI One - 2 lights

lightbrit2ag8.jpg

1999 Rover Mini Cooper 1.3i - There... are... FOUR... lights!

rallylights3on5.jpg

Toyota Landcruiser - Four definitely NOT standard lamps on this one...​

Winners for last week:

Fish out of water - Rue 1 Point

My baby does 0-60 in 3.5 - Exigeracer

Bonus: Rue

Our Hong Kong Correspondent takes the win 👍

No time for photos this week, but can we have the leaderboards updated? I want to move out of my tie for last place :D

Yes, sorry about that. I need to do an update of about 4 weeks' points :D I'll get on it in the next couple of days.

Popped in here again to try to figure out what's going on. Looks like the weeks just started... and one of those Audis in Famine's post looks suspiciously like an A3.

Let the petty bickering commence! :D

Popped in here again to try to figure out what's going on. Looks like the weeks just started... and one of those Audis in Famine's post looks suspiciously like an A3.

Let the petty bickering commence! :D

At least the red one (J30CEW) is an A3 Sportback, though there are others.

Looks like an estate to me...

Winners for last week:

Fish out of water - Rue 1 Point

My baby does 0-60 in 3.5 - Exigeracer

Bonus: Rue

Our Hong Kong Correspondent takes the win 👍

Wahey! :sly:

Categories up soon.

Here's my fog lamps entry...
mincooper1uh4.jpg

Funnily...

lightbrit2cs1.jpg

So they're either standard or both owners have chosen the same aftermarket kit.

I'd think the PIAA decal on Rue's car would suggest that the lamps are aftermarket. You two would appear to have the same kit, but I will make final judgement on Sunday as I am leaving for a ski weekend in a bit.

PS thanks for all the wagons guys - I knew you'd see a lot of them. Such practical cars.

I've got nigh-on 30 Audi estates I'll have to look at tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back