The Next Gen Wheel support movement (A discussion+Petition in First Post)

sems4arsenal

Nissan Sunny FTW
Premium
Egypt
Cairo, Egypt
GTP_SEMS
Hey Gents, as we now are all fully aware, most of the current sim racing wheels are not compatible with with next gen Consoles which in turn affects games like DC,Forza Future GT and C.A.R.S. .

This has been a problem since the PS4 and Xbone have been on the market and while the developers are welcoming of the idea, Sony/MS along side Logitech/Fanatec etc haven't worked out a solution yet.

Here is an idea, why don't we push for it, Social media power is very effective and what we are requesting is very very doable to say the least, thought I'd share with arguably one of the biggest racing game fan sites on the webz.

So any ideas? a Hashtag perhaps?.

So someone has started a petition http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...pt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

Last edited:
Two things:
1. First world problems such as these don't tend to benefit from social media campaigns.

2. The Project CARS devs have said that there's still a chance existing wheels will work with the PS4 version but it hasn't been implemented by Sony yet, so it's possibly a little early to rally the troops. Wait for a racing game that you'd conceivably use a wheel to control - NFS: Rivals, The Crew and maybe even Drive Club do not appear to be that sort of racing game - and see what the state of wheel support is like at that point. I imagine it's a pretty low priority for Sony right now. As for the Xbox One: Bahahahaha, no. Not going to happen. You must be having a laugh if you think Microsoft are going to put work into allowing people to not buy new peripherals they'd be getting a slice of.

Sony don't need to do anything. It's the wheel manufactures who are responsible for making drivers. As far as we know, the PS4 is as open as the PS3 was.

Also, it's still too early to say what wheels will work on the PS4, as no "serious" racing game has been released on it yet.

Two things:
1. First world problems such as these don't tend to benefit from social media campaigns.

2. The Project CARS devs have said that there's still a chance existing wheels will work with the PS4 version but it hasn't been implemented by Sony yet, so it's possibly a little early to rally the troops. Wait for a racing game that you'd conceivably use a wheel to control - NFS: Rivals, The Crew and maybe even Drive Club do not appear to be that sort of racing game - and see what the state of wheel support is like at that point. I imagine it's a pretty low priority for Sony right now. As for the Xbox One: Bahahahaha, no. Not going to happen. You must be having a laugh if you think Microsoft are going to put work into allowing people to not buy new peripherals they'd be getting a slice of.

Sony don't need to do anything. It's the wheel manufactures who are responsible for making drivers. As far as we know, the PS4 is as open as the PS3 was.

Also, it's still too early to say what wheels will work on the PS4, as no "serious" racing game has been released on it yet.

DriveClub dev said they wanted to support the wheels but couldn't , yes it isn't a priority for Sony but it is for us gamers, it is in Logitech for example's field to deliever the drivers hence the social media push to encourage them.

Don't take it the wrong way, this is by no means an attack on Sony/MS, this is an idea to encourage them to push for something that gamers want.

Best bet is to sell your consoles and build a pc. Wheel support i s plentiful in the pc world. And its not as expensive as you think to go the pc route if you do some pre planning and bargain hunting.

Hardly a Solution is it. Already bought a PS4 :lol:

The wheel situation is such a mess. My Fanatec PWTS supported PC/360/PS3.

What I want is Thrustmaster to make a T500/TX quality wheel that works with all three like Fanatec did. I'm not unbolting and remounting a wheel every time I want to play a different game. It's absolute madness.

I don't see sense in fragmenting an already small market.

Hardly a Solution is it. Already bought a PS4 :lol:
Actually it's a good solution if you wouldn't have jumped the gun. That 400 dollars could of had you 3/4 of the way done and wouldn't be posting here wondering if your wheel is gonna work or not.

Actually it's a good solution if you wouldn't have jumped the gun. That 400 dollars could of had you 3/4 of the way done and wouldn't be posting here wondering if your wheel is gonna work or not.

I got a good deal on a used one for less than that, but again the solution isn't buy a PC, when the console is capable enough.

DriveClub dev said they wanted to support the wheels but couldn't , yes it isn't a priority for Sony but it is for us gamers, it is in Logitech for example's field to deliever the drivers hence the social media push to encourage them.

Don't take it the wrong way, this is by no means an attack on Sony/MS, this is an idea to encourage them to push for something that gamers want.

You misunderstood, I think. It's simply not up to Sony. I'm not sure exactly what it is that Microsoft did with the 360 (and the One), that directly results in most wheels not working, but Sony has as far as I can understand done close to the same thing as they did with the PS3. Meaning all that needs to happen is for the wheel makers to create new drivers for their existing wheels and have their products licensed for the PS4. Judging from the official PS4 FAQ, this needs to happen on a game by game basis (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/#sect5) Obviously, it would be nice if Sony was more forthcoming on this matter, but ultimately, it's still up to the individual wheel makers.

Here's a quote from an interview with the game director of Driveclub.

"When asked about racing wheels, he said, “We love racing wheels! We’re working closely with Thrustmaster to support their awesome wheels already, and when Logitech support wheel peripherals on PlayStation 4, we’d love to support them in DriveClub too.”
Adding to the racing wheel thought, he said, “We’re big fans of wheels, so whether its Logitech or Fanatec we’d love to support their wheels if they choose to bring them to PlayStation 4."

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...discusses-30fps-wheel-support-fame-much-more/

There's also some good info here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658933

From what I can understand, if you have a Thrustmaster wheel, you're 100% good to go for the PS4.
Logitech is tricky, as they're out of the console periphial business (but still in the PC one, aparently).
And Fanatic just need to show some respect to their consumers who paid a ton of money for their products, and work on new drivers as well as getting the official PS4 license (required).

I'm sure the MS Fanatec thing is not so easy as drivers. They would need an adapter too as they simply won't connect to the console. Also there isn't that many Fanatec wheels and I don't see Fanatec getting a license along side Thrustmaster. Fanatec also piggybacked Logitech for PS3 support.

For PS4 Logitech
Paul Rustchynsky
We love racing wheels! We’re working closely with Thrustmaster to support their awesome wheels already and when Logitech support wheel peripherals on PlayStation 4 we’d love to support them in DRIVECLUB too

We need to harass Logitech. At least there's probably enough DFP/DFGT/G25/G27 wheels out there to warrant this.
Problem is long term Logitech aren't selling wheels on console. So its like a stop gap of ever aging dying wheels that are already dated to begin with compared to what Thrusmaster and Fanatec produced.

Perhaps we should support Thrustmaster and help them succeed. Sell your Logitech/Fanatec wheel to a PC only person and put the money towards a Thrustmaster wheel. I would but they don't supply the wheel I want which should work with all three platforms. PS4/XONE/PC

I'm sure Fanatec could develop a dongle that would allow them to use existing wheels on the new consoles, but MS and Sony won't give them the SDKs to develop it. They could quite easily bypass the security chip, but it would be illegal as they'd have to reverse-engineer the firmware.

The best option we have at the moment is the CronusMAX adaptor. Considering that there is no official support for wheels at the moment, people have already been using G25/27, Fanatec GT2 and CSR wheels on the XBone. Once the PS4 has full support, it should be an option for people.

I'm sure the MS Fanatec thing is not so easy as drivers. They would need an adapter too as they simply won't connect to the console. Also there isn't that many Fanatec wheels and I don't see Fanatec getting a license along side Thrustmaster. Fanatec also piggybacked Logitech for PS3 support.

For PS4 Logitech

We need to harass Logitech. At least there's probably enough DFP/DFGT/G25/G27 wheels out there to warrant this.
Problem is long term Logitech aren't selling wheels on console. So its like a stop gap of ever aging dying wheels that are already dated to begin with compared to what Thrusmaster and Fanatec produced.

Perhaps we should support Thrustmaster and help them succeed. Sell your Logitech/Fanatec wheel to a PC only person and put the money towards a Thrustmaster wheel. I would but they don't supply the wheel I want which should work with all three platforms. PS4/XONE/PC
I agree we should harass Logitech, they don't seem to be too bothered, I'd love to support Thrustmaster, but they don't have a wheel like a G25 (great features with a very good price) I'd love a T500 but it is still way too expensive.

I'm sure Fanatec could develop a dongle that would allow them to use existing wheels on the new consoles, but MS and Sony won't give them the SDKs to develop it. They could quite easily bypass the security chip, but it would be illegal as they'd have to reverse-engineer the firmware.

The best option we have at the moment is the CronusMAX adaptor. Considering that there is no official support for wheels at the moment, people have already been using G25/27, Fanatec GT2 and CSR wheels on the XBone. Once the PS4 has full support, it should be an option for people.

Does the adaptor support feedback? My understanding is no.

Would like to invite @amar212 to the thread too, to share his info.

DriveClub dev said they wanted to support the wheels but couldn't

So, do you have a source for this or are you just ignoring my request?

Everything both Logitech and the Driveclub devs have told us has pointed out to the fact that old wheels will work with the PS4 provided the developers include their drivers. So, is that above comment of yours made up or has there been a new development I'm not aware of?

So, do you have a source for this or are you just ignoring my request?

Everything both Logitech and the Driveclub devs have told us has pointed out to the fact that old wheels will work with the PS4 provided the developers include their drivers. So, is that above comment of yours made up or has there been a new development I'm not aware of?

The quote is from the above post, I remember a very long preview video where they said that but couldn't find it.

Also not sure what your point is, you are agreeing that Logitech are not supplying drivers which is my point

The quote is from the above post, I remember a very long preview video where they said that but couldn't find it.

Also not sure what your point is, you are agreeing that Logitech are not supplying drivers which is my point
As I understood Amar, it's not just drivers it's licencing fee to Immersion company that holds patent rights for touchsense technology upon which logitech's force feedback is designed. But Amar can shed so light on this matter.

maybe this can give you some answers:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81438181&postcount=91
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110113660&postcount=476

Last edited:

The last thing I read about was a tweet by Logitech where they confirmed they were working on PS4 drivers for their wheels. To me this sounds like definitive proof that they intend to make their wheels compatible with it. Have they stated somewhere else that this have changed? I'm just trying to figure out if something new happened. My point is, developers have stated several times that older gen wheels can work with the PS4. I haven't seen a single person of interest saying otherwise.

The last thing I read about was a tweet by Logitech where they confirmed they were working on PS4 drivers for their wheels. To me this sounds like definitive proof that they intend to make their wheels compatible with it. Have they stated somewhere else that this have changed? I'm just trying to figure out if something new happened. My point is, developers have stated several times that older gen wheels can work with the PS4. I haven't seen a single person of interest saying otherwise.

Never did I see that tweet? are you sure? that would be very good news. They no doubt CAN work, can isn't good enough though we want them to work before Project CARS gets launched.

Drivers aren't the issue, paying royalites to Immersion is, who will pay, logitech who doesnt produce any wheels for consoles or Sony!? Thats why i sold my CSP elite and went for t500rs.

Does the adaptor support feedback? My understanding is no.

Would like to invite @amar212 to the thread too, to share his info.

At the moment, there isn't proper FFB, but is does have rumble and some tension in the wheel. It was revealed by the devs that they making a new version of the CM adaptor, due for release sometime late this year, or possibly next year, with ARM processor and more advanced support.

I don't see what is stopping fanatec from giving their drivers to developers so we can at least get fanatec support on ps4.

Fanatec don't make their own drivers, they use Logitech drivers, so they would blame Logitech, who in turn would say 'why should we, we're not in the market anymore.'

Fanatec don't make their own drivers, they use Logitech drivers, so they would blame Logitech, who in turn would say 'why should we, we're not in the market anymore.'

Fanatec do have their own drivers. I use them on the pc.

On consoles they use the logitech drivers but that doesn't stop developers programming for the fanatec drivers on consoles.

You're right, except Microsoft won't give Fanatec access to the security chip required to get the wheels working on the new console.

Back