The NHRA Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 142 comments
NHRA Supernational final results from Englishtown N.J.

Funny Car :
A rematch from Chicago. Ashley Force Hood against Tony Pedregon.This time it was Pedregon's turn for a win.Pedregon cut a .068 light to Ashleys.125 light,Ashley ran quicker,a time of 4.21 against Tony's 4.24,but this just goes to show,that the race can be won at the tree.

Top Fuel :
It was Larry Dixon against Antron Brown in the final pairing.Easy win for Dixon as Brown red lighted,handing over the win to Larry Dixon.

Pro Stock :
Another repeat match from Chicago.It was Jeg Coughlin going up against Mike Edwards.Yet another race won at the tree.Coughlin clutched the tree with a .025 reaction time against Edward's .038 reaction time.Edwards ran a quicker 6.58 against Coughlins 6.59,but it just was not enough.

As far as Melanie Troxel's debut at the Pro Mod ranks....well,she fell to Ricky Smith in the 1st round. Smith ran a 6.017 to Melanie's 6.124.

Nice try Melanie. 👍

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone here like sportsman racing, but I do however.

If there is one guy I'm jealous at, it has to be Dan Fletcher and what he does for a living. My goal is to drive in either Stock or Super Stock sometime in the future here in Sweden, but drag racing over here is more of a hobby than it is a sport though, and you can't make a living out of it.

Fletcher's Stocker and Super Stocker.
fletch7.jpg

The '69 Camaro Super Stocker has the most wins in NHRA history. Respect!
fletch8.jpg

I was planning a "Why Should You Care?" on the U.S. Nationals, but declined. "The Big Go" is coming up on Labor Day. Good luck to all teams in all classes this holiday weekend.

O man. I don't watch much NHRA but that was a very interesting video.

But all in all, that was SOOOOOOO obvious that he threw the race. That's ridiculous. Can someone say F1 2008 Singapore?:rolleyes:

The way I see it,it'a a team order thing.I really don't see a problem with that.It happens in Nascar,F1,IRL.,etc......

John is securely in the points hunt,the number 10 spot had to be filled.The oppurtunity was there to get one of his team cars in the hunt,so he called his own number out.John knew what he was doing,and succeded.......4 Force cars are now in the hunt,they stand a better chance of knocking out the competition and helping their own team out.

I do disagree with the way it was handled with the arguing and the fight which nearly broke out that in the pit lane though.Be a better man and just walk away from the b***s***,and smile hard as you turn away from your competitor.

The way I see it,it'a a team order thing.I really don't see a problem with that.It happens in Nascar,F1,IRL.,etc......
Team orders is bad for any kind of motorsport in my opinion.

Although it has nothing to do with team orders or cheating, I came to think about another exciting moment in NHRA. The staging duel between Warren Johnson and Scott Geoffrion back in 1994.

A couple of pictures of my friends '68 Dodge Dart recently take in Milan Michigan.Part of the CC Events schedule.

Super Pro class with an 8.90 dial.

Johns68Dodge.jpg

Johns68Dart.jpg

His e-mail to me simply said - Too much traction

As a drag racer would probably say: "Life is a drag and we prefer it that way.;)"

:D

Don "The Snake" Prudhomme has got to be one of the happiest guys in America right now.
The ex NHRA Champion,and now team owner has a rookie driver by the name of Spencer Massey.Massey fought through the ranks today to take his 1st ever NHRA Top Fuel title at the Route 66 NHRA Nationals.Massey was able to top Antron Brown in the final round today with a time of 3.856 @ 308.35 mph against Browns 3.870 @ 301.54

Congratulations to Spencer Massey and team owner/Champion Don Prudhomme for your 1st victory this year.

Funny Car :
It was Tony Pedregon against Ashley Force Hood in the finals.From the start it appeared to be a good race coming,not to be,Ashley lit up the rear tires and handed over the victory to Pedregon,giving Tony the win.

Pro Stock :
The final pairing ended up being Jeg Coughlin against Mike Edwards.
It was a come easy victory for Coughlin as Edwards red-lighted by .021 seconds to hand over the win to Coughlin.

:lol:

Those TF Dragster speeds are stupid, they are quite inconsistent over here at the moment. 308mph we'd be lucky to see in a 1/4 mile, let alone a 1,000 feet.

4 Nitro burning cars at once,and I thought two were loud enough :eek:

I prefer the two cars at once version better.

I agree with you Nicksfix. I don't like the 4 wide event at all... not one bit. Drag racing has always been and should always be a two cars at a time show.

Anyway, I got quite surprised the other day when watching some NHRA footage on YouTube! A Swede made it to the final in Pro Mod at the Gator Nationals! Unfortunately though, he redlighted big time in the final, but still pretty cool IMO!

The 2011 season marks the 60th Anniversary of NHRA Drag Racing. Here's the schedule for the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series:

http://www.nhra.com/schedules/2011fts.aspx

As of this reply, the first event of the year at Pomona is only 32 days away. It will be interesting to see who all can rule the quarter mile in the four categories of NHRA racing (Funny Car, Top Fuel, Pro Stock, and Pro Stock Motorcycle). Best of luck to all teams this season!

You all ready for another season of straight line fun by the NHRA?

I already have my passes for the June 23-6 event being at Summit Motorsports Park,Norwalk,Ohio. :D

NHRA letting pro mods run automatic transmissions now...lame

But at least they are cutting back on the blower and turbo sizes to give the nitrous guys a break for once.

Wanted to show this video, just shows how the crew of a nitro car rebuilds the entire engine after each run. They do this in about an hour.

Anyone watch pomona? Jason Line wins in pro stock...pretty big surprise with Dixon going out in first round.

Pro Stock - Jason Line
Funny Car - Robert Hight
Top Fuel - Morgan Lucas (impressive job, an underdog team for sure)

Holy archived thread Batman ........ :lol:

NHRA 2012 is just days away. There is another "Force" to be considered. Will she be as good as her sister Ashley ? Or as good as the veteran himself ?

LINK

I can smell the Nitro now.

History was made in the NHRA at the Route 66 Nationals held in Joliet Ill.
The 1st ever career victory by a woman in the ranks of Pro Stock. Erica Enders topped Greg Anderson in the finals to take home a nice little victory

Enders (W) - .034 reaction time : 6.627 elapsed time : 207.40 mph
Anderson (L) - .036 reaction time : 6.641 elapsed time : 208.36 mph

Wow, for an active sport, no one seems to want to talk about it.

Something I just heard during Q3 at Sonoma. Apparently, Ford is pulling their support of the NHRA, all of it. Not something I thought would happen as the Mustang has been the most popular car body and Ford-based engines most common.

Monday after: OK, so maybe Ford has fallen to Mopar and Toyota, but this is still pretty big news, right? Right? Also, it's not this season, but after next season that they're dropping out.

Last edited:
Wow, for an active sport, no one seems to want to talk about it.

Something I just heard during Q3 at Sonoma. Apparently, Ford is pulling their support of the NHRA, all of it. Not something I thought would happen as the Mustang has been the most popular car body and Ford-based engines most common.

Monday after: OK, so maybe Ford has fallen to Mopar and Toyota, but this is still pretty big news, right? Right? Also, it's not this season, but after next season that they're dropping out.

There is just not enough love for the NHRA on the GTP forum. It's more focused on F1, Nascar, Touring Cars. :indiff: Sad.

Yeah, I too heard about Ford dropping out of the NHRA (as a sponsor that is).

Article

The hardest hit will be Team Force. What will John do ? This guy is pretty much sleeping with Ford. What about guys like Larry Morgan - Pro Stock ranked cars ?

What about guys like Larry Morgan - Pro Stock ranked cars ?

From what I have heard he just buys parts from Ford and he said over the weekend that he has plenty of parts. But I don't know how you can say that you have enough parts for 2015 right now.

And I didn't even know there was an NHRA thread.

Why don't we pull this one back out of the depths. Things have changed since the last time we spoke here: Ford has dropped all factory support, though there's a Shelby that still runs, and as direct result John Force & Co now use Camaros. Ron Capps is the reigning Funny Car Champion, Antron Brown is the reigning back-to-back Top Fuel Champion, Jerry Savoie, the alligator farmer, is Pro Stock Moto Champ, and Jason Line holds the title in Pro Stock, which got a refresh in 2016 with the major changes being EFI and no more jet intakes on the hood.

This weekend is the Circle K Winternationals at Pomona. Rain has put Funny Car Q2 in a mid-session hold. With NASCAR going...somewhere in an over-tight straight-jacket, I'll be paying the NHRA More attention overall this year.

You forgot a biggie being that they've switched from ESPN to Fox, which seems much more accessible with live broadcasts on TV and even a couple OTA broadcasts!

I'll be paying the NHRA More attention overall this year.

I'm planning on paying more attention this year as well, but it probably has more to do with going to Brainerd last year. :lol:

I'm planning on paying more attention this year as well, but it probably has more to do with going to Brainerd last year. :lol:

You need to make the trek to Ohio to see the action at Norwalk when the NHRA goes. The pound of Ice cream for $1 alone should make it worth it. :lol:

The one class I'm most interested in this year is Pro Mod. That's been my favorite class for a few years now, and it's always a literal toss up because any car and engine combo can win. They won't be out till the Gatornationals, but it'll be without question the class to watch with how tight the fields are when they race.

You forgot a biggie being that they've switched from ESPN to Fox, which seems much more accessible with live broadcasts on TV and even a couple OTA broadcasts!

Oops, that I did...though the commentary team feels dull from time to time, it's the one thing I miss from ESPN.

Anywho, the silly season for 2017 has apparently been extensive on the tuners side, notable for drivers, and even one major manufacturer change in Pro Stock. I don't know enough to say anything on the tuners, but Del Worsham is the biggest driver change, returning to his family's FC team, which lead to other changes and now Troy Coughlin Jr is a TF driver, even though he looks about 14.

Speaking of Coughlin, Jeg Jr is also looking at change. Jeg had been running Mopars recently (Avenger, Dart), but for 2017 he's teamed with Erica Ender-Stevens at Elite and is once again running the bowtie, and maybe it's history but seeing JEG'S on a Camaro just looks right...of course, everything looks better without the absolutely massive scoop.

Back