The NHRA Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 142 comments
I find it funny that the NHRA keeps making changes to slow down the Pro Mods and they still seem to make it rain 5.70s like nothing. 5.727 is now the quickest pass in NHRA trim, and it it's only a matter of time before they hit the 5.60s in NHRA trim!

I found it surprising nobody has ever gone north of 200 mph in Pro Stock Bike. It was an interesting stat I came across as I saw the action on TV. What a beautiful day in Florida! I didn't see all of the matches, but I certainly saw John Force do work. I was a bit gutted for Ron Capps- all he needed to do was keep the car in bounds, but he couldn't control it as he crossed the yellow lines in the center.

And let me just say this- drag racing is NOT easy, though it looks like all you have to do is drive in a straight line. You got to wrestle that beast drag machine you have while also making timely shifts and cutting a good reaction time after staging. It ain't easy, folks.

Unfortunately I missed it, and it doesn't look like it's getting re-aired on FS1 tonight. Shame too, as it sounds like it was a great event.

Antron Brown wins over Tony Shumacher, Tommy Johnson Jr wins Funny Car, and the youngest winner in NHRA Pro history is third generation driver Tanner Gray.

@JohnBM01 NHRA is headed your way next.

NHRA action this weekend, apparently there was a 'scuffle' involving a couple Pro Stock teams. Speaking of, for the second event in a row there's a PS 1st time winner, and it's Bo Butner!

Funny car final was won by Ron Capps (On Fire) over Robert Height (went bowling for sensor blocks).

Top Fuel has Leah Pritchett winning over Steve Torrence, giving DSR yet another win.

DSR is going crazy right now. I think they've been in almost every nitro car final this season, and won a majority of them.

Next week...4-wide.

Last edited:
It's pretty stunning how good Leah has been this year considering this time last year she was trying to find a ride (granted that wasn't her fault). :eek:

DSR is going crazy right now. I think they've been in almost every nitro car final this season, and won a majority of them.

The only time DSR hasn't won this year was Gainesville where it was John Force Vs. Jonnie Lindberg in Funny Car.

The only time DSR hasn't won this year was Gainesville where it was John Force Vs. Jonnie Lindberg in Funny Car.

That's something else, the smaller teams are giving Schumacher and Force hell. Unlike the circuit racing where smaller teams struggle just to be relevant, the drag teams all seem to be on a strong but very similar footing. It's almost like there's parity, and it seems to have happened naturally, and I 🤬 love it!

I hope Vandergriff struggles at every race after he abruptly shut his team down like he did a year or two ago.

Also, good for Bob Utner (Bo Butner) for finally getting a win that has been eluding him for a while.

That's something else, the smaller teams are giving Schumacher and Force hell. Unlike the circuit racing where smaller teams struggle just to be relevant, the drag teams all seem to be on a strong but very similar footing. It's almost like there's parity, and it seems to have happened naturally, and I 🤬 love it!

A lot of the big teams actually give some minor support to the small teams. I remember reading an article a while ago that said the big guns help the small teams because the little guys blowing hurts the show by both costing race time and being so costly that they can't afford to race. I might need to go digging for it now because that was one of the better articles I've read.

A lot of the big teams actually give some minor support to the small teams. I remember reading an article a while ago that said the big guns help the small teams because the little guys blowing hurts the show by both costing race time and being so costly that they can't afford to race. I might need to go digging for it now because that was one of the better articles I've read.

I've heard quite a few stories about the bigger teams sending mechanics over to help smaller teams that make it further than them. Granted I've heard of similar things happening in other series', but not with the regularity seen in NHRA.

If that's true, that makes it even better because it means someone realized the 'Have/Have-not' split doesn't help bring people in, strong competition does. What better way to strengthen the competition than to help out the people who already keep showing up and show they want it.

I've heard quite a few stories about the bigger teams sending mechanics over to help smaller teams that make it further than them. Granted I've heard of similar things happening in other series', but not with the regularity seen in NHRA.
I'd only really heard about it with drag racing. It might happen in circuit racing but the only times I've ever heard of it or seen it was teams going to aid another team that got damaged.

Bringing this thread back. It looks like Fox is starting to get the memo (at least today) now because today they're showing a lot of the final rounds from the Lucas Oil Series live on the FS1 broadcast. This is what they needed to do to for a long time because it introduces people to the other series. Plus, they shown Pro-Mod (the class that had the highest ratings growth of all the classes) and brought Brian Lohnes in as well.

I've watched several events Brian has announced, and the dude is both knowledgeable and hysterical. Really glad he go the gig with the NHRA years ago because the guy absolutely deserves it.

Leave it to Fox to do something stupid. Spitting the coverage into two blocks is just incredibly dumb as hell. They should have just either put the NASCAR race on the cable channel or waited to put the entire broadcast on as tape delay tomorrow (Monday). Can't say I'm too shocked though because Fox doing something dumb to screw up a motorsports broadcast is something they are pros at.

Leave it to Fox to do something stupid. Spitting the coverage into two blocks is just incredibly dumb as hell. They should have just either put the NASCAR race on the cable channel or waited to put the entire broadcast on as tape delay tomorrow (Monday). Can't say I'm too shocked though because Fox doing something dumb to screw up a motorsports broadcast is something they are pros at.
They did, FS1. They were showing this on FS2 because NASCAR got backed up. If it's recorded, it shouldn't be happening like that, so it may be semi-live.

Alexis has returned apparently. Don't know what she's been dealing with, but glad to see her back.

They did, FS1. They were showing this on FS2 because NASCAR got backed up. If it's recorded, it shouldn't be happening like that, so it may be semi-live.

Alexis has returned apparently. Don't know what she's been dealing with, but glad to see her back.
Did they show the entire thing on FS2? I didn't see cause I wasn't channel surfing during the NASCAR race.

Did they show the entire thing on FS2? I didn't see cause I wasn't channel surfing during the NASCAR race.
I think they started it on FS2, then moved it over once NASCAR signed off. I couldn't tell you because I'm not paying an extra $50 a month for FS2, but I do know it's something ESPN has done for as long as I can remember.

It's been a bit. Since the last post Ron Capps has been hot but not as hot as the start of the season, DSR is fast but the field has closed the gap, Steve Torrence is leading TF dragster standings after winning the US Nationals, I don't know who's leading in Funny Car but J.R. Todd won at Indy, meaning the Kalitta organization had a hand in both TF wins.

Meanwhile, Pro Stock is all over the place. No one's dominated outright, Anderson announced he's retiring after the season, and I believe Indy was won by an Aussie...I've forgotten since then, so this last one is likely wrong.

The NHRA Championship Countdown is now starting, Alexis DeJoria missed TF FC at Indy, though considering how many events she missed mid-season it a surprise she was in it at all.

North Carolina Nationals (Countdown race 1) winners:
Top Fuel- Doug Kalitta
Funny Car- Robert Hight
Pro Stock- Tanner Gray
Pro Stock Motorcycle- Eddie Krawiec

Pro Mod was won by Jonathan Gray (Tanner's uncle).

Speaking of Pro Mod, there is a war of words brewing in the Pro Mod ranks. The feud comes from several top tuners regarding both the turbo boost reduction (from 38 pounds of boost to 36). Included in the debate are Steve Petty (reputed turbo engine tuner and tuner of Troy Coughlin) and Rickie Smith (Nitrous guru, multiple time NHRA Pro Mod champion and also the tuner of Jonathan Gray's car).

https://dragillustrated.com/tuner-t...jimmy-rector-sound-off-on-nhra-pro-mod-rules/

It's crazy how good Tanner is, I wouldn't be surprised to see move up to one of the top 2 classes at some point (one of the Chandler cars is probably the most likely).

Also, I was at Brainerd again this year, it was a blast as always (except for my parking spot being about 100 feet from the drain spot for the porta potty trucks and me having to wait 3 hours to get my tickets. :yuck:). It's something else to see a Kalitta mosh pit in person.

Champions:

Top Fuel - Brittany Force
Funny Car - Robert Hight
Pro Stock - Bo Butner
Motorcycle - Eddie Krawiec

I have a feeling the DSR vs Force rivalry is going to heat up over the off season.

Steve Torrence was pissed in his interview after he lost the championship.

Also glad that Bob Utner (Bo Butner) got the win and the championship. He was for the most part the best driver in Pro Stock this year.

Champions:

Top Fuel - Brittany Force
Funny Car - Robert Hight
Pro Stock - Bo Butner
Motorcycle - Eddie Krawiec

I have a feeling the DSR vs Force rivalry is going to heat up over the off season.
Two of those are bull:censored: too. Hight I can begrudgingly give on because he finally got back on the wagon, but Brittany...I guess she Kensethed, but up to the US Nationals she'd lost any semblance of speed (both her and John).

Back