The Nissan Juke: We Talk About It

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 605 comments
I know it is going into production now but wasn't the Juke-R at first just a guy who had a Juke and put a GTR engine in it?

So um, can we get this in GT5 as DLC? I'll paint it pink and call it the trololo car.

Dennisch
Unless it's made completely out of carbon.

Diamond.jpg

Jalopnik seems to be the only one stating that it would cost 600K. Most say 150K, Euros.

EVO
There's no news on price, although we're told that it will be 'very high' - the cost of donor cars, so around £100,000, then four months bespoke build cost

£450k doesn't sound unfeasable for 4 months build costs at RML.

I get confused at the sight of a Juke. I seen one in a parking lot at the mall in my small town, so I stopped and studied the mad, mad frontal section of it. I must have looked perplexed because the owner of said Juke must have come out of the mall and said "interesting vehicle isn't it?".

I told him that I wasn't sure about the ride quality, handling, off-road capabilities or the interior amenities, but the front was interesting. He sad he wasn't sure either, since he had only had it for a few days, but he "fell in love with the styling."

I was dumbfounded. I looked at him, and said "yeah."

I'm sorry, but was there only one person on the design crew? This is how bad ideas are created. You don't have that second or third or so on person to pipe up and say "whoa, now hang on. Let's think about this some more."

Puke, indeed.

I'm sorry, but was there only one person on the design crew? This is how bad ideas are created. You don't have that second or third or so on person to pipe up and say "whoa, now hang on. Let's think about this some more."

I think the opposite was their problem. Looking at it, it seems to me that a large team of designers had a hand in how it looks, one designed the headlights, one designed the A-pillar, one the C-pillar, another guy designed the front grill, etc, etc. Unfortunately, none of them was aloud to see what the others were working on. The first time anyone saw the car in full was when it was originally shown in concept form, as the Nissan Qazana, at the '09 Geneva show. They then had a separate team of designers who were allowed only 30 seconds to make quick sketches of it before having to turn it into production reality. True story.

I find it remarkable how often people complain that there's no imagination in cars these days, or how all cars look the same, yet as soon as anyone does anything different like the Juke...

I find it remarkable how often people complain that there's no imagination in cars these days, or how all cars look the same, yet as soon as anyone does anything different like the Juke...

Different doesn't always equal interesting or necessarily good design.

I agree that "design-by-committee" is the worse offense... but I think the Juke is the opposite... it looks more like a clear vision that's relatively unadulterated by "design-by-committee".

If you want to see "design-by-committee", look at the new 1-series... so many compromises...

---

I like the Juke. It's different. It's interesting. It's weird... but you go the other way and you have anthropomorphic cars with huge smiley-faces plastered all over the front (I'm looking at you, Mazda...)

Different doesn't always equal interesting or necessarily good design.

Not always, but the Juke is interesting, even if you aren't keen on the looks. It just amazes me how little people are prepared to accept anything that looks different from the norm. The backlash in the new Mustang thread is a perfect example of that. Or Bangle BMWs.

I liked some of the so-called Bangle-ized BMWs. The Z4 was fascinating. My biggest nit with those cars was the poor flow of lines on such cars like the 6-series. I even liked the bulldog 1-series, and I dislike the new 1 only because of poor use of space on the front end.

I applaud Nissans designers for trying something different from the norm, i just think the Juke's design doesn't work. It's one of very few cars that just looks 'wrong' from every angle. Plenty of 'different' looking cars manage to look good, or even great from some angles, but from others they just proportionally wrong. I'd cite the Ferrari 612 Scag and the latest FF as good examples of this.

Finally had a drive in a Juke today, albeit the 1.5 turbodiesel sold in Europe. Was good fun, more than I was expecting. More about grip than it is about chassis balance and all that jazz, but for a relatively tall car you can hustle it along pretty quickly. Nice quick gearshift, funky interior, and I still like the way it looks.

Just needs more support in the seats - there's enough grip that you find yourself having to brace arms and legs on everything. Oh, and there's no clutch footrest in RHD cars which is pretty unforgivable, since there's a massive space in which to put one.

Still, I could see myself owning one. Fun, funky, decent space, plenty of kit, and decent mpg.

Official Nismo version and Juke-R aside, have we seen any modified ones yet? Any with a nice set of wheels? Or third-party tuners?

Yeah, those are all hideous. I was thinking more like real-life versions of that early photoshop of a Juke on TE37s, or something along the more tasteful lines of the Juke NISMO...

Bit disappointed with that Impul one. I quite like what they did to the previous-gen Micra, but that Juke is just tasteless.

Edit: This is more like it:

Nissan-Juke-Tune-3.jpg

Nissan-Juke-Tune-1.jpg

nissan_juke_modification.jpg

Last edited:
Nismo brings a Nissan Juke Nismo on the way! It had its debut today at 24h Le Mans ! Check this : click here
I have to say I really like it what they have done with the car. Looks very good. I am excited to see how much power it will have and how much it will cost.

I wonder if they could do a Juke coupe like Land Rover did with the Evoque? It might turn out well.

I'm not a big fan of copycats, also not a big fan of ugly. Those two don't seem inconsistent with each other.

I fell in love with the Juke after getting to see the R storming around Silverstone for GT Academy. Now I really like them and the regular version too. Just a cool kooky car.

Back