The Obsessions/Superstitions Thread

I'm very picky about my PS3 and TV.

I always wash my hands before using my good controller.

The TV remotes MUST be straight, side by side.

My games must be in the respective disc.

I always wash my hands after eating before I use my iPod.

I'm sure there's more but that's just a few that I can think of right now.

Everything has to look perfect. Period. If a website looks crappy, I hate it. If something looks modern and sleek, I love it.

My dad has a car with a navigation system. Whenever you start the car, the Lexus emblem shows up on the navigation screen, then it goes to the "Do not use this while driving," screen. Every single time, I absolutely must press the "I agree" option to get to the navigation screen. If somebody changes the temperature or changes the radio station, I have to reset the screen to show the map. I just have to. :dunce:

Whenever I lock or unlock a car, I must press the button twice.
All dirty clothes go into a very specific spot just right of the door, but not too close to the closet door.
The toilet seat cover must be closed before the toilet is flushed.
In the shower, my hair must be washed first.
Everything on my desk has a specific spot; if you move it, I will be mad at you.
When in public, my phone has to be in my right pocket.

The toilet seat cover must be closed before the toilet is flushed.
In the shower, my hair must be washed first.
Closing the toilet so you're not splashing crap around and washing top to bottom is what you should be doing, obsessive or not.

When it comes to my jeans: wallet in right pocket, mp3 player and phone in left pocket. Nothing ever in the back pockets. In regards to internet browsing in the morning: Must check Facebook, Twitter, then GTPlanet. Also I have an obsession with stacking items. The left corner of my room is 11 boxes, only 2 of the same size and shape. In my desk unused white paper is on the left side of the drawer, while written on paper must be on the right side. If lazyness didn't affect me, my room would be the most organized ever, however. I am lazy, so thus my room is a mess.

TB
Closing the toilet so you're not splashing crap around and washing top to bottom is what you should be doing, obsessive or not.

Hoorah, I'm not as weird as I thought I was. :dopey:

Double checking locks.
GT5 related - I always press on both pedals in my DFGT every time I load a race. Calibration I guess.
Folders in my computer must be located at the top of the desktop. 5 folders maximum, store the junk in there. Anyone takes one out, it becomes recycled. Unless it's my stuff/games.
I always make 1 new playlist/delete 1 playlist every day on my iPod.
One light has to be on at all times in my room whenever I'm in it. (Tip: Don't spend a whole week reading Creepypasta articles at night from 10pm-1am)
I believe that if I expect something to happen, the expectations turn out to be the opposite.

I've had more time to think of mine:

In GT5, I hate it when there are black gaps in between the blue rectangles (people on track). It just looks annoying...lol.

I have to sleep with all of my pillows on top of my head with GT5 jazz music on. If I don't, I get paranoid about people breaking into my house and shooting me with a gun or something.

I only look at weird stuff at night (even though it freaks me out when I got to bed).

I always have to have my favorite tabs open: GTP, Facebook, YoVille.

The fan in my room had to be set to 3 (highest level) if it is on.

Gonna think more up later.

-Things have to be even. If there is something that can be similar to something else, I will make them even.

-I must let the microwave run out unless it is too high a number, and if someone doesn't reset it after stopping it early, I don't let them do anything until they do if I catch them in the act.

-I use proper grammar in everything I type, be it a text or an online game.

-Unless I do an action such as unplug something or lock the door, I get so paranoid that the house will catch on fire or will be broken into, that I can't do anything.

-Games must be in the proper case or in the system, not in the wrong case or on the entertainment center.

-If I can't follow a certain schedule I have made, I feel awkward.

-When taking a number 2, I must have something in my hands, be it my DSi or a book, else I have trouble going.

These are all I can think of now, so I'll make another post or edit this one if I think of any more.

EDIT: I have more.
-When I make a post on a website, I have to check it several times after I post it and have gone somewhere else, to make sure it is not something that will get me in trouble.

-If I notice a palindrome, I must point it out, while they also bother me. You guys have no idea how weird I feel when I see any posts RACECAR make, seeing his name.

Last edited:
I do display obsessive behavour to a degree but it comes from having children and is not attention seeking behaviour despite the OP suggesting to the contrary!

The reality is most people that claim OCD because they have, in their mind, compulsive behavior are just wrong. Why? Because if they can't do something, it generally doesn't bother them. That and the obsessive part isn't really there.

Anyhow, as a person with actual OCD, I tend to find these kind of things moderately amusing. Especially the superstitious, because they are just silly things. I rarely act out on the obsessive behavior, because it simply reinforces it. Which is exactly what you want to avoid.

And otakukid96, your use of commas isn't correct and thus you are grammatically incorrect in your posts. Gave me a chuckle when you mentioned that being something you must do.

I believe that if I expect something to happen, the expectations turn out to be the opposite.

YES. Exactly. I used to have that problem...
But now I realize that, and screw it up.
"Ah, I'm going to lunch with this girl, awesome! Wait, I just anticipated it... It's not happening. Or is it now because I thought it would? Nah, its probably the original thought. Well, idk, she did seem sort of interested. But, she hated me. Yeah. Hated me. It's not happening. Dang, I just told myself that so it hopefully would happen."

Before every football game, I had to listen to "On To the Next One" by Jay-Z, in the locker room. Interestingly, the one time I didnt do it (My Zune wasnt charged... [Yeah... I have a Zune.]) I ended up severely messing up my ankle in warmup prior to our first playoff game. And we lost that game.

If we were traveling more than 70 miles by bus to a football game, I had to bring a new Lego set. Not a big one, just something to occupy myself with. I totally didnt get made fun of.

If I am in a manual car, when I start it up, I feel obliged to give the throttle a single stab, long enough to hit the limiter, but then straight back down. It makes me feel a bit like this guy

But with a Camry, or occasionally my mates Mustang.

I must make one complete circuit(On foot) of a swimming pool before getting in. I cant not do it.

No one touches my food or drink. No one. And no, you cant "Have a sip of that".

Each time I put fuel in my car, I check the radiator.

Whenever I drive with a girl in my car, I cannot figure out the quickest way to our destination. I'll get there, it's just usually the longest route possible.

YES. Exactly. I used to have that problem...
But now I realize that, and screw it up.
"Ah, I'm going to lunch with this girl, awesome! Wait, I just anticipated it... It's not happening. Or is it now because I thought it would? Nah, its probably the original thought. Well, idk, she did seem sort of interested. But, she hated me. Yeah. Hated me. It's not happening. Dang, I just told myself that so it hopefully would happen."

I now have that problem as well. Here's what I usually think everyday pertaining to this sort of situation, "So, I just woke up. Today will be a great day! Wait, that means the opposite will happen, but then the opposite of that, so today will be a great day! Wait, no, bad, um no wait, good!" Endless loop of constantly doing that. Back then it worked to my advantage, "Come on, you're in a school dance, just ask her already! Oh, she won't say yes, but it's worth a shot!" She said yes.

Now? (Actually it was last year at the beginning of the school year, but that's when it started to backfire) "Alright, 2 months into school and you really want to ask that girl out. But you will never ever get a chance to talk to her without it being an awkward situation." (I thought this thinking it will turn out the opposite and that there will be a time to talk to her casually [say, assigned project partners or sitting next to each other, etc.])

June: "🤬 There wasn't an opportunity to talk to her throughout the whole year!"

From now on I will not be depending on opposite expectations to make/break my day. I'll just go with what I feel, and think it through logically. That will make it better for me in the long run.

But wait, that means it will be worse... nevermind.

Last edited:
I always have my iPod Touch in my left pocket and my phone and money in my right pocket. If I have my headphones it goes in my left pocket with my iPod.

If I am in a manual car, when I start it up, I feel obliged to give the throttle a single stab, long enough to hit the limiter, but then straight back down. It makes me feel a bit like this guy.

This would make me cringe, I hope atleast you let oil pressure come up and flow long enough to lubricate the journals/cylinder walls/valvetrain before you hit limiter.

"Real" obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is when you can't leave the house, because a speck of dust might land on the TV screen. Or that there aren't enough hours in a day to re-arrange your newspaper's NYSE results by highest-to-lowest values with a pair of scissors and glue. Or that Interstate 238's existence has caused you to visit a doctor because you can't face another day in this world with an out-of-place national transportation grid. If you waste enough time and energy, to the point where personal relationships are seriously weakened and personal ambition has either become melancholy or Napoleonic, towards resolving a relatively minor goal, that's OCD.

Any money in my wallet is assorted in order of increasing monetary value, heads-up, right-side up. (Then again, this is less and less the case as I use plastic for nearly everything.) My shirts should be hanging in the right direction in the closet (front facing me as I enter). I usually like things sorted, grouped, in order. If I'm bored, I'll catch myself putting unimportant things back in order. These are called idiosyncrasies; they're peculiar to a individual and a moment, whether they have value nor benefit is immaterial.

Last edited:
I have this awful superstition involving the number 3.

Every 3 years (2006, 2009, 2012, 2015?) bad things happen, no matter what I do. What makes this superstition even crazier is how I have a good year pattern (2004, 2007, 2010, 2013?) and an "in between" pattern (2005, 2008, 2011, 2014?).

This is absolutely crazy. I won't use examples from these years, which alone tells you how strange this pattern is.

I'm obsessed with how often I use the word "like" as a filler. Every time I catch myself (not often) I hate myself a little bit more.

I hate when people leave time on a microwave. Like if you cook something, then take it out, and there is time left, CLEAR THE DAMN SCREEN!!!!!

Im a drummer, and i also HATE fat sounding snare drums. I understand there tonal qualities in the studio but almost every song i have ever heard with a fat snare drum, i KNOW FOR A FACT would sound better with a crisp cutting snare drum sound.

Im a drummer to and I think snare drum are supposed to sound more crisp. But the mircowave ticks me off every time.

-I eat three times a day..breakfast in the morning, dinner at about 3pm and a snack at 7.30pm, i never eat anything inbetween those times!

-Whenever i go out of the house i have my wallet and blackberry in my left pocket and my ipod and keys in my right pocket

-I always check the news and sports news on my laptop before i go to sleep and when i wake up

ill post again when i think of more..

I'm continually shocked at how many people think that if you say something that it will affect the future (usually in a negative way). It's widely socially acceptable. For example knocking on wood, or saying "I don't want to jinx it".

prescience.png

You could honestly probably tick off a bunch of people by getting in a car on onto an airplane and loudly stating "this car/plane has never been in a crash!". It blows my mind how prevalent it is.

I think this has got to be one of the craziest necros I've seen. A solid 7 years between posts... I am compelled to help bring it back to life!

I'm continually shocked at how many people think that if you say something that it will affect the future (usually in a negative way). It's widely socially acceptable. For example knocking on wood, or saying "I don't want to jinx it".

prescience.png

You could honestly probably tick off a bunch of people by getting in a car on onto an airplane and loudly stating "this car/plane has never been in a crash!". It blows my mind how prevalent it is.

I think I may test this out on the wife when we get in the car next.

Personally I dont hold to any sort of superstition. And I dont suffer from OCD, but I get really bothered having dirty hands. Since I tend to work in dusty conditions (anyone replacing 10-20 year old computer equipment can relate) and my hobbies, wood working, fabrication and cars, tend to get my hands dirty a lot, so I wash my hands probably around 20+ times a day. I also hate having wet hands, so wearing nitrile gloves is something I only do when working to paints, stains, oils or other "wet" products.

I regularly joke when discussing outdoor plans by interjecting with a "watch it start raining", and it's often met with this kind of criticism.

I regularly joke when discussing outdoor plans by interjecting with a "watch it start raining", and it's often met with this kind of criticism.

Everyone just kinda plays it off as acceptable.... but what people should be saying is... "Wait do you honestly think I can control the weather with my voice? You're certifiably insane!"

You're allowed to think it, you're just not allowed to actually voice it. The cloud gremlins might hear you and become vindictive.

Everyone just kinda plays it off as acceptable.... but what people should be saying is... "Wait do you honestly think I can control the weather with my voice? You're certifiably insane!"

You're allowed to think it, you're just not allowed to actually voice it. The cloud gremlins might hear you and become vindictive.
It's crazy.

Related to the topic:

"I'm not superstitious, just a little stitious." :lol:

When I use earbuds for my DS4, or actually anytime I use earbuds, I make sure the cables have as little amount of tension on them as possible.

Example, at the Y-Split heading to the male port of the earbuds I pinch the cable at the split with one hand and with the other hand I'll pinch at the same spot and slide down all the way to port watching the cable twist and turn and unkink itself, releasing the tension. I do the same with both splits.

I think this obsession comes from years of playing with Yo-Yo's (competitive at one point in my life) in which you have to make sure the string is at it's most relaxed state prior to throwing. In competition you don't get to re-wind your Yo-Yo whenever you feel like it if you're doing a trick ladder.

Back