The Passion of The Christ

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pako
  • 61 comments
  • 2,579 views
Originally posted by NocturnalPS
Dude that part was really bad. Just about everyone in the audience gasped for air when that happend. The part that got me a little teary eye was when Mary ran to him when he was walking down the streets, and telling him that "Im Here"

That part was a tear jerker for sure! That film shot, where he embraced the cross, at the end of that scene int he alley, enforced the belief of his love for the people that he would embrace the cross that he had to bare, for the salvation of everyone. It was a very powerful scene.
 
Originally posted by milefile
I can't wait to see this movie. I'm not a Christian. I believe Jesus lived and died, but stayed dead. Unfortunately many contemporary Christians take their religion for granted. I think every single church should have a realistic crucifix, with a realistic human Jesus nailed to it, exposed ribs, bloody nails, and all. How the hell else can the meaning of Christianity be comprehended? The destruction of Jesus' body is the foundation of Chistianity, pure and simple. The so-called miracles, the so-called teachings, the so-called life-without-sin, are all dubious and suspect, fabrications of people who have perverted the memory of a man, exploiting his utter destruction to consolidate political power, control large groups, and conquer everything conquerable.

I want to see it because I am glad someone with the money and the power to get their movie made is willing to shake things up among Christians, and expose them for what many of them really are: ninnies who when confronted with the absolute horror of Christ's passion complain about gore. We then see the depth of their spirituality. Ha.

WWJD?

I've seen you come from a member that used to post, "I'm not sure about a god, I know there's something....I just don't know what...." to this blatant display of disrespect that you convey in an attempt to liberate the mind of the trapped Christian? What happened if I might ask? If I took your post the wrong way, I apologize, care to elaborate?
 
Even though I'm one of the "fallen", I will still go to the movie for historical reasons. My wife is still Catholic, and was not happy with me when I renamed the movie " Death of a Salesman".
 
Originally posted by Pako
I've seen you come from a member that used to post, "I'm not sure about a god, I know there's something....I just don't know what...." to this blatant display of disrespect that you convey in an attempt to liberate the mind of the trapped Christian? What happened if I might ask? If I took your post the wrong way, I apologize, care to elaborate?
Not much to elaborate on. And I don't understand your question(s).
 
If I can go out on a limb, here, I think what milefile is trying to say is that all Christians and Christian churches should see this movie and display the Crucifix in similar detail, so that the illusions and sugar coating are stripped away and the real events must be confronted. It's one thing to feel all warm and fuzzy because Christ died for your sins; it's quite another to see the precise nature of that self-sacrifice and what it entailed.
 
well from what i heard its very gory and its about the last couple days of jesus's life.

the thing is, believing in god isnt exactly enough though, even the demons believe in god and that doesnt mean they should be allowed in heaven.

some things i learned up when reading about succubi and incubi...

i heard that there was a girl before eve... her name was lilith and she betrayed god and adam and was thrown out of the garden of eden, then she joined up with satan and all the childrens they had were succubi

i also have heard that jesus was hung on an X instead of a cross, if you think about it, that kinda makes sense, how stable would a cross be. i mean yeah they had a hole dug but it couldnt be 20 feet deep because they probably didnt have much to use to dig holes, and how stable would a cross be anyways??

anybody care to ask their preacher about those last 2 paragraphs??
 
Originally posted by DoZeRxXx
well from what i heard its very gory and its about the last couple days of jesus's life.

the thing is, believing in god isnt exactly enough though, even the demons believe in god and that doesnt mean they should be allowed in heaven.... {big editorial snip}
I also have heard that jesus was hung on an X instead of a cross, if you think about it, that kinda makes sense, how stable would a cross be. i mean yeah they had a hole dug but it couldnt be 20 feet deep because they probably didnt have much to use to dig holes, and how stable would a cross be anyways??

anybody care to ask their preacher about those last 2 paragraphs??

The Cross was made of "big" wood, like 8 x 8's or 10 x 10's, I believe that that would more than support the weight of a man.
Also, the Romans were quite skilled at the whole "slow, painful death" thing. I imagine the holes for the crosses were pre-dug.
The victim, then was made to carry his huge cross to the top of the hill, where he was nailed to it. Then a group of centurions would stand the cross up, and it would drop heavily into the hole.

I find myself agreeing with Milefile again. While our point of view differs 180 degrees, I believe that this movie will have a very convicting effect on most Christians.
It's one thing to sit and rationally discuss Jesus' last day. It's completely another to "witness" the horrors that he suffered, and the humiliation at the hands of people who yelled for a convicted murderer to be released instead of Him. This is the stuff that Jesus went through to redeem us. And the thing that really gets me, he was in a position to not do it. But he did do it anyway, to save my sorry butt...
I've not seen the movie yet. I plan to eventually.
We have discussed many times, how he basically was beaten to shreds with a whip that had sharp rocks and bits of bone woven into it. How a person dies of suffocation hanging on a cross. How the centurions would eventually break the legs of someone on a cross that was "lingering" on too long. (So, they couldn't push up against the nail(s) in their feet to enable them to breathe).
Once a person was nailed to a cross, they could hang there for many hours, before they actually got too weak to push up to more of a "standing" position on the cross that let them breathe.
 
Originally posted by neon_duke
If I can go out on a limb, here, I think what milefile is trying to say is that all Christians and Christian churches should see this movie and display the Crucifix in similar detail, so that the illusions and sugar coating are stripped away and the real events must be confronted. It's one thing to feel all warm and fuzzy because Christ died for your sins; it's quite another to see the precise nature of that self-sacrifice and what it entailed.

I would agree, and I think this movie did a good job in conveying that. For me, on a personal level, this movie re-affirmed by belief system and nurtured my thankfulness to Jesus for what he did for us.

On the subject of "The Cross", historians said that the spike would not have been driven into the palm of his hand, but rather at the wrist, if it were driven into the palm of his hand, the flesh would have ripped away, never supporting his weight. In the movie, however, I found it interesting that they did drive it though his palm, but also had his wrists bound to the cross with fabric to help support his weight. Historians have also speculated that the cross was just a pole, a single, vertical pillar.... Regardless of the shape, the end result is the same.
 
Michelangelo has also done studies showing the Jesus hanging on a Y-shaped fork as well.
 
They could've nailed him to a wall, and I've also heard it refered to as a "tree". Like Pako said, the result is the same in any case.

And neon duke's synopsis of my previous comment is satisfactory to me. This is why if I were to ever take up religion again it would be the Roman Catholic church. The Eucharist and the obsession with Christs body and blood is what gives Christianity any meaning at all. Without that it becomes a bland, popularized self help movement. There is much horror in Christ's passion, or rapture, as some call it, and that's the only reason it matters. Imagine if Christ had lived to a fat old age and died in an undignified manner, ****ting himself in bed and raving like a lunatic. Hardly a circumstance worthy of a religion. The greatest moments in history are drenched in blood.
 
English's not my first language, but I'll try to put my thoughts on this movie here:

I've been raised as a christian, and my view of the religion has gone a long way since my childhood, when I candidly learn about Jesus life, praying before falling asleep at night... I totally agree with the values told by christianism (besides some of vatican's views about sexual life, anyway...),but by looking at history, (any)religion can also serve as a weapon to fanatic groups, used as a catalyst for the worst wars humanity has ever known, and also was used to build a rich and powerful (somewhat less now...) organisation that, I think in the process lost its main goal...

I think what Jesus wanted us the most is to actually transmit the values he was preaching, not being worshipped for martyrdom, or anything else... I don't see how being a witness of these atrocities would make me a better christian at all, it would rather satisfy a somewhat morbid curiosity... and to some it will even raise some anger, quickly pointing fingers at who they think is responsible for this...With what's happening in the middle east for the last decades, do we really need to throw a buck of oil on the fire like this??

Bravehart was a great movie, one of my favorites... this one was a bad idea IMHO

And if Mel is as Christian as he claim he is, I just hope he'll give the millions he'll made out of this movie to those who really need it....
 
This movie is a not-for-profit venture. Mel Gibson, financed this movie himself. He felt "called" to do it.
I imagine that the proceeds will go to help the Catholic church. But I haven't read too much about the financial arrangements for the movie. So, I may be blowing smoke out of my BVD's.
 
Was it true about the actor who played Jesus, he got struck by lightning not once but 2 times during the making of the film? A friend of mine told me he was on tv the other night talking about it. What are the odds on that happening to the same person?
 
In a Mel GIbson interview on Jay Lenno, he said it was a kid on the set that got struck twice. The actor that played Jesus was standing next to him during one of the lightning strikes where it also got hit along with the kid.
 
I saw this movie last night with my girlfriend. I must say, I've enver cried so much in a movie. I cried at least 7 or 8 times. It was such a powerful thing to watch. When the movie was over and everyone got up to leave, you'd expect the usual commotion. There was none. It was dead silent. The only thing you heard as the hundred or so people got up was the sniffling of those who were crying. It was such an awkward feeling. As my girlfriend and I were going through the parking lot you could still see and hear people crying. It was just...unexplainable. You don't really feel the same afterward. :-/
 
Originally posted by NocturnalPS
Was it true about the actor who played Jesus, he got struck by lightning not once but 2 times during the making of the film? A friend of mine told me he was on tv the other night talking about it. What are the odds on that happening to the same person?
The character who played Jesus, lives in my town.... He used to be in plays all the time, at the local Lincoln Theater..........

I'm not sure about the lightning thing, though..........


;)
 
We've been given free tickets(buy my Christian Boss) for a showing this comming Saturday. I'm pretty anxious to see it,.......

..... though, I doubt I'll be moved in the least. From what the experts say, it's not "history",... it's "hollywood". I've seen enough thrasher flicks to stomach the gore I'm sure....
 
I would like to know what 'experts' say that. The theologians I have heard talking about it convey that Gibson did a outstanding job keeping the events true to the historical accounts as depicted in the bible. There is, however, interpretations as well as 'Hollywood' elements presented as well.

Fee tickets, eh? Must be nice! ;)

:cheers:
 
Originally posted by Pako
I would like to know what 'experts' say that.

The History Channel,.. didnt you know that if it's not on TV then it's not true :wink:
 
Just out of curiosity, is the resurrection part of this movie? Or is it over when he dies?
 
Originally posted by Red Eye Racer
The History Channel,.. didnt you know that if it's not on TV then it's not true :wink:

Ahhh...but of course. The great scholars of "The History Channel", "TLC" and "Discovery". ;)
 
Well i just saw this movie and man oh man do I have alot to say about it. (PS: kinda has some spoilers in case anyone cares)

First off I am not a believer in God or that jesus was the son of God, but I do believe that jesus did live and the message he tried to convey was a good one.

Ok so first things first I think that the violence in this movie was overdone. It overshadowed the movie as a whole to me. At first it was just atrocious what was being done to him, but about halfway through it just seemed overkill. I realize he was put through excrutiating pain and practically was beat to death but with the amount of whipping he recieved he should've dropped dead well before he got to the top of the hill, even if he is Jesus.

I have nothing against jewish people at all, but to me this was completly anti-jewish. First the jewish priests(dont know if thats what they are called or not) sentenced him to death. Then after the roman governor had him brutally beaten and brought back before the jewish crowd the whole crowd is screaming for him to be crucified. Now I dont know about you but if I were to see a man in front of me who has been BRUTALLY beaten worse than anyone should ever be beaten I would not be screaming out for him to be crucifed as well. Then while the crowd is screaming for crucification you see Satan walking amongst them as if he is cheering them on and supporting what they do.

One good thing that I was inspired by was the way in which he never waivered at all while being tortured. After being caned 30 times he still stood back up causing him to recieve the "cat". Then while being crucified he says "forgive them for they know not what they do". Now that takes incredible belief to be able to do that while having nails through your hands. Then when that other man who was crucified as well says that he believes he deserves punishment because he did something but jesus doesnt because he hasnt done anything and he just hopes Jesus will forgive him and Jesus says he will be joining him in paradise was very powerful to me.

It was also interesting to me how after the movie not one person got up until after the entire credits had rolled. And then it was dead silent.

(I think thats all for now)

PS: Can someone who is familiar with the bible tell me if there was any significance to Mary and Mary wiping up his blood after he was dragged away?
 
Originally posted by gt4
PS: Can someone who is familiar with the bible tell me if there was any significance to Mary and Mary wiping up his blood after he was dragged away?

I have been thinking the same thing.
 
K,. I saw this on Saturday,.. below are my thoughts expressed from an agnostic perspective:

PLOT:
Unfortuantely, I exited the theatre quite un-impressed nor felt "moved" in the slightest. The plot is virtually non-existant. If your a person uneduacated in the basics of the bible, you'd be lost for the entire movie. You'd have a notion that there is a guy who clamis to be a messiah and people are unhappy about it, so they beat him and crusify him. Thats the whole plot. Basically, Gibson is assuming you know the story of Jesus and he's just adding some scenery to the final bloddy moments.

CONTRIVERSIES:
-Is this movie Anti-Semetic?
NO. IMO it is not. Lets face it people, these days, anyone can blame anyone for just about anything. The Jewish faith wil have you believe Gibson goes out of his way to make them look bad,... well, that might be partially true, but, can they prove it?..... NO. Civilization in the 1st century was attrocious in comparision to todays standards. The Hebrews in the movie acted exactly how I would suspect them too (with my knowledge of history) in that day.

The Romans on the other hand, we're exactly the opposite. If the Jewish Faith have any ground to stand on, it the fact that Gibson made the Romans(decision makers, not regular soldiers) out to be saints. Sure, the regular soldiers beat Jesus, but the Roman higherarchy wanted nothing to do with it according to Gibson,.... IMO, a very, very, very poor representation of roman civiliation in that period when the subject was religion related.

CONCLUSION:
If your a Christian, you'll get a lot from this movie. None of it will be of ANY historical significance,.. but, you're faith in Jesus as your savior will be re-enforced.

If your non-christian, spend your $3 on a rental of Return of the King,... it's the only movie about a king that will be worth your time and money.


The Passion of the Christ = C- ... or 3.5/10

PS -

GORE FACTOR: -= OVER-RATED
This subject is a joke,.. yeah, for the audience this flm is attracting, sure, it's gory,.. but, I was watching bloodier thrasher flix at the age of 10,... this gets a 5/10 on my gore factor....
 
I heard that since it's release .. 2 priests on seperate occasions have suffered fatal heart attacks while watching this movie :odd:

anyone else got any more info on this? and is this coincidence if it is true?
I just got hold of the movie today and will watch it tonight, even though i'm not a churchman .... wish me luck :D
 
Back