• 34 comments

Timppaq

Premium
Finland
Helsinki
GTP_Timppaq
Hi Guys,

Short question:

What would your dream pedals have, when everything would be possible?

List all the functionalities, options, features, etc. that you would wish for. Use your imagination, but stay within reality (preferably) :P

edit; here's the end result of this project :)

Check out the user reviews here:

<https://simgrade.fi/product/r7-pedals/#reviews>

Last edited:
A real race car build around these pedals. Seriously.

Nothing mentioned in the OP that these pedals are for sim racing. :D

Probably whatever Fanatec is cooking up as Podium Pedals. Fanatec does a good job of balancing high end with usability.

I find full on racing pedals used for sim racing to be absolutely ridiculous. In the end there is absolutely nothing you can do to simulate the g-forces that you experience under braking, so pedals need to be designed around that limitation.

Probably whatever Fanatec is cooking up as Podium Pedals. Fanatec does a good job of balancing high end with usability.

I find full on racing pedals used for sim racing to be absolutely ridiculous. In the end there is absolutely nothing you can do to simulate the g-forces that you experience under braking, so pedals need to be designed around that limitation.

Honestly after owned a lot of pedals. Fanatec has a long road to get close to the top high end pedals. That is my opinion.

They are good, don't get me wrong, the CSL with the load cell brake is great for quality/price. But it is not close to what other brands (Heuskenvield, HPP, ecc) give you. Yeah they are expensive.

Throttle with a very high accurate resolution

Brake pedal with which I can modulate the braking without using ABS. Also preferable based on muscle memory instead of distance. It doesn't matter if it is load cell based, hydraulic or with a spring combined with a piece of rubber.

Honestly after owned a lot of pedals. Fanatec has a long road to get close to the top high end pedals. That is my opinion.

They are good, don't get me wrong, the CSL with the load cell brake is great for quality/price. But it is not close to what other brands (Heuskenvield, HPP, ecc) give you. Yeah they are expensive.

To make a counter argument. The way the Heuskenvield pedals are constructed is ridiculous for the price. It is essentially a DIY solution being sold as a professional one. Don't get me wrong, it is a great pedal setup, and a lot of good work was put into them to make them great, but it is clearly a pedal setup designed by an engineer and someone with very little industrial design or manufacturing experience.

You should absolutely be getting single piece billet pedal arms for that sort of price. Even the CSL Elite pedals use single piece arms with a design much closer to real racing pedals. Ricmotech and HPP are miles ahead of Heuskenvield in terms of construction.

To make a counter argument. The way the Heuskenvield pedals are constructed is ridiculous for the price. It is essentially a DIY solution being sold as a professional one. Don't get me wrong, it is a great pedal setup, and a lot of good work was put into them to make them great, but it is clearly a pedal setup designed by an engineer and someone with very little industrial design or manufacturing experience.

You should absolutely be getting single piece billet pedal arms for that sort of price. Even the CSL Elite pedals use single piece arms with a design much closer to real racing pedals. Ricmotech and HPP are miles ahead of Heuskenvield in terms of construction.

Its a matter of taste I guess.

Not having a single piece is what makes them highly adjustable. That is one of their strong point. It is not a case that they are highly desiderable in the racing community

Psst, don't tell anyone, but I've created (together with a good friend) the perfect pedals for me. No more info yet, sorry. :P

More info, (should I now use) #soon ? :cheers:

Probably whatever Fanatec is cooking up as Podium Pedals. Fanatec does a good job of balancing high end with usability. . .
2 years, 2 months is a long time to cook up Podium pedal set. Fanatec must be on the verge of an announcement, right? I mean, announcements come in threes. Here’s wishing!

Last edited:
First, they must be compatible on a console. Second, able to be directly mounted a rig/pedalplate. Third, tension adjustments. Fourth, good software to dial in everything. Fifth, have adapters that work with every brand of wheelbase.

Jerome

I use Heusinkveld Ultimates, mainly a road racer at iRacing (10 years) . They're pretty decent pedals, around the $2000 mark. For those that are interested in iRacing, It really is the best online racing service. There's just so much more you can do with a PC, then what can be done on a console.

P1-X_008.png

Last edited:
@Timppaq what can you tell us about your pedals? Give background story and current status please.

@Rob Brown

At the time I created this thread, we (me together with my mate) had decided that we'll create a pedal set.. I wanted to get some ideas what people want from the "ideal" sim-pedal set, and then it was only a matter of trying to achieve those things. :)
In the end, I'm really happy how the pedals came up, they are maybe not according to the most common design, but I think that is only a good thing. Everything is there for a reason, and especially the double-acting pedal arm is something that makes a huge difference (at least to some) for the accuracy of the inputs. There is quite a lot more than that though, the adjustability and the ergonomics (when adjusted correctly) are on a new level in my honest opinion. But everything is subjective, and naturally there will be also people that don't really care for these features.

I'm the kind of driver, that only going fast motivates me.. it's that "magic" lap, and the rush that it gives you, that has always had me hooked on simracing. And that's the basis these pedals were created on.. I wanted to make pedals, that make me faster. I believe I've succeeded in that (I'm not promising these will make you any faster :D ) . Sadly I've had not yet time to truly get back on to simracing, but once the ball is rolling a bit more steadily, I can't wait to return to the track with "my own" pedals. :dopey:

Current status is that we're getting the parts for 2nd batch..

First, they must be compatible on a console. Second, able to be directly mounted a rig/pedalplate. Third, tension adjustments. Fourth, good software to dial in everything. Fifth, have adapters that work with every brand of wheelbase.
Jerome

Hi Jerome, been a long time :)

That console-compatibility is quite a hurdle for a small company. The fees are quite substantial, I've heard. :eek: But I agree, on a perfect set of pedal that is an obvious requirement.

Last edited:
That console-compatibility is quite a hurdle for a small company. The fees are quite substantial, I've heard. :eek: But I agree, on a perfect set of pedal that is an obvious requiremen
I actually blame that on the console makers and really have started to deduct that "allowed" peripheral limitation as another point to factor into my choice as to whether I want to continue buy into the new generation consoles or not.

I think that the console makers holding you prisoner to only buy certain gaming devices or even worse requiring a person to replace perfectly good gear as what they own will not be compatible with the new console just released (as happened with the switch from ps3 to ps4) is BS.

There are a lot of sim racers on PC that regardless of how good Gran Turismo were to get will never buy a PS5 and the game as they may have several thousand dollars of sim gear that will not be compatible with the Playstation system. In my opinion in that respect the console makers are doing nothing but shooting themselves in the foot. There is no reason in my opinion to limit there customers choices in their peripheral choices as in all probability they could well be losing more money on console and game sales than what they make on the licensing fees.

This same limitation also applies to those PC gamers that play flight or space sims as for the playstation the limitation for those controllers is almost none can be utilized.

@Timppaq Those pedal [pictures] look insane (in a good way). I can see you where shooting for adjustability. Thanks for the update!
@VFOURMAX1 Couldn’t agree more, spot on! What I would add: I really wish there was some sim on PC that had a decent amount of street cars (or as many as Gran Turismo). I guess I’m in the minority with regards to being made to drive “race” cars almost exclusively. Otherwise, I’d jump to PC in a heartbeat for many (if not all) the reasons you wrote.

Last edited:
@Timppaq Those pedal [pictures] look insane (in a good way). I can see you where shooting for adjustability. Thanks for the update!

Thanks Rob for the compliment, we did put a lot of effort to get all adjustments included that we could think of :) In the end I don't think there is such as a 'perfect pedal' for everybody, but with good amount of adjustability you can get pretty damn close for most.

Pedals are now on sale within the EU-region;

https://simgrade.fi/product/r7-peda...7I4fX3VVvTpOTaj7uMVYZX9Ds31UVUCv0j-5ek-lalRfc

Last edited:
They look cool but you have so much adjustability in there compared to a genuine motorsport pedal set, is it really all needed?
Plus, adjustability always produces a degree of extra flex.

From the user point of view, you only really need one setting that you like (if I put it a bit exaggerated), but from the 'manufacturer' point of view there will be (hopefully) very big userbase where most want different things (at least a little) then the next guy. So it's a bit of both, I guess? :)

And about the comparison to a true pedals on a car.. to be honest, the real end goal was not to mimic a car pedal specifically, but to create a pedal set for simracing that possibly could give you some competitive edge. And even though the real goal was not to mimic a car pedal 1:1, with all these adjustments available creating a specific car pedal feel is not a problem either of course (imho).

So in my mind, having more adjustments is better also in a case where you want to mimic how a real pedal set feels like. Surely, if the more important thing is how they look then for sure these don't look like a set you can find in a car. But do your racing rig look like a real racing car?

If I have to choose, I choose to have the ability to adjust the feel as close as possible (whatever that is).

But for sure, I also love the look of a "real" pedal set used for simracing (a mad man wouldn't) - I / we just choose a different path here. :cheers:

Last edited:
@Timppaq your pedals are very interesting to me, as I tried a ton of high end pedals and none of those fully satisfied me. What I don't understand is why you haven't uploaded any videos with the pedals in action, nor has anyone posted unboxing and review videos. As much as I would want to pull the trigger on these in the future, hardly anyone would do so just by reading press realease stuff and seing some photos

@Timppaq your pedals are very interesting to me, as I tried a ton of high end pedals and none of those fully satisfied me. What I don't understand is why you haven't uploaded any videos with the pedals in action, nor has anyone posted unboxing and review videos. As much as I would want to pull the trigger on these in the future, hardly anyone would do so just by reading press realease stuff and seing some photos

@KashunatoR - Very good point. There will be 'proper' reviews coming, but sadly it will take a bit more time still. We have not actively asked any customer to make a YT review etc., and then it always depends naturally of the particular customer if they decide to do anything like that. I could ask a few, maybe it is a good idea :)

Not sure if it helps any, but here's a few comments from a couple of customers and a few very short vids of me playing with the pedals.. so you can get some sense at least of how they are :) If there's any specific things you'd like me to take a video of, let me know (I'm actually going to the office soon)

Actually Robin was the same as you, having to go through a long list of higher end pedals before the R7's (not that I'd be implying anything here)

Most of the videos are of our first batch, so there are minor differences to the current design & look, but the actual demonstrated things still apply :)

edit, spoiler removed videos on my next post

Also a few pics from our first South-Korean customers rig
https://www.notion.so/SIMGRADE-R7-ca2cb8a13da94bfbbb3129e4fbd1e25c

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind the suggestion, but I really think you should make a presentation video with the product. I am very interested, but just by the photos I can't even imagine how these pedals work, to be honest.

I hope you don't mind the suggestion, but I really think you should make a presentation video with the product. I am very interested, but just by the photos I can't even imagine how these pedals work, to be honest.

Yes I agree, I should do a better one / ones.. but maybe you missed those videos in the above post (under the spoiler), so maybe I'll just move them to here;

(clutch is on the middle:) )

Last edited:
Back