The Pictures of Mike Rotch (now with added development)

• Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 240 comments
Yeah! I set myself a 2015 goal of completing the year with a self published book of my favourite images from the year and it's done :).

I used blurb, with a discount coupon their price is acceptable and their editing package is pretty easy to use.

Details? How many copies? How is it marketed? Are you talking hard copy or web? Price?
Also - Congratulations! 👍

Details? How many copies? How is it marketed? Are you talking hard copy or web? Price?
Self published on Blurb - 2 hardcopies copies, both to me :lol:. One had the option to market it via Amazon or on Blurb, but the book price is floored at something like $50 (all to Blurb/ Amazon) and anything you set on top of that is your profit. I figured who is going to want to spend that much on a random photo book, so didn't go that route.

Also - Congratulations! 👍
:cheers:
Inspiration for new projects is a bit thin atm, but the year is young.

Ugh, messed up developing my last roll of MF by using insufficient volumes (corresponding to 35mm not 6x6) :indiff:. Still getting a rhythm digitising too, so baby steps.

Flexaret VI - Ilford HP5 400

Finally got around to developing my roll from Canberra from late November. Couldn't remember what was on it and have lost appetite for Pan 400, so tried stand development.

Hmm, much filminess.

Jupiter-8 50mm f2 - Ilford Pan 400

I took a roll of Tri-X would with the Industar-61 fitted to the Bessa last week. The internets recommends rating Tri-X at 200, which I did and then I thought why not add an extra variable into the mix by stand developing it for an hour in Rodinal.

Results, not that flash. Apart from the entire roll being overexposed somehow (I was careful to not overdo the exposure given I was rating it slower than box but somehow it still ended up like that) the stand dev also didn't quite have the outcome desired, possibly overdeveloping - although i thought I had my mix right. Just weird all round.

Anyway, I still like this one. I thought about straightening the vertical, but that crops out the side walkers and I like them in there.

Industar-61 55/2.8 - Kodak Tri-X 400

A bit of a haitus - shot a few rolls 5-6 weeks ago which I am only now developing. One (Flexaret) was horrendously overexposed, not sure what I was thinking at the time :) Pics were ordinary anyway. This is from my first M645 roll. 👍

I also made a bit of a breakthrough re agitation and semi stand development. I don't invert at all now, and just gently use the swirly stick. Results speak for themselves:

Mamiya 645 - 80mm/2.8 - Ilford HP5+

Out of curiosity, are the Mamiya shots wide-open?
From memory, the one of the sailors was f/5.6-f/8 but the one of the two guys was about f/4-f/5.6.

The aperture with MF works in reverse to APSC, so if you multiply those by ~.6, you get the effective 35mm equivalent.

Pretty happy with the new 55mm. And looks like I am finally getting a good rhythm on stand development - if anyone ever says Rodinal gives "huge" grain with HP5+, tell them to look at this :) @35mm , this was wide open.

Mamiya 645 - 55mm/2.8 - Ilford HP5+

The other shots, I was pretty sure they had been stopped down; just curious on how much. This one, yes, more like what I was expecting from wide open (35mm-ish and f/2 equiv.)

You must be having lots of fun. 👍

The last couple came off a single roll. So a productive single roll is possible :). These soldiers were celebrating in a pub, so I asked if they would pose. One shot, no blinkers and no lollygaggers walking in front 👍

Mamiya 645 - 80mm/2.8 - Ilford HP5+

Well, after a few month's off to rediscover an appetite for photography, I think it has been found again :) . I have a few projects in mind too, one for MF and one for 35mm.

I found a roll of Tri-X in the fridge and thoughts some stand development experimentation would be good, given I can't recall what is on it. Negs looks good, so I'll get back into the swing of things soon.

Last edited:
I've got the feels for picking up a camera again. :)

As mentioned, I experimented with some semi-stand development of a roll of 35mm Tri-X in Rodinal - not really expecting much, but hoping for something contrasty as HP5+ is just a bit flat for me out the tank. Once I finish my stock of that, I'll be probably getting more Tri-X if this roll is anything to go by.

Anyway, a break from posting stuff for 6 months has also given me perspective to have more freedom and to not care what people think of my photos. Feedback is great - I won't take it heart though, either way. I just want to enjoy mucking about with different styles and subjects, keep it fun again and keep new material coming in for the frames now in my apartment :)

https://flic.kr/p/Nza2AJ

Love the super high contrast in that coffee shop shot. Makes it work so well 👍.
Cheers mate. I'd say its safe to say I'll be putting up more high contrast shots in the coming weeks. This one required quite little burning from what came out the tank - very different to HP5 which are quite flat and lifeless most of the time.

Pretty much straight oout of the tank and scanner - just a bit of spot removal but that's it. So much more my cup of tea than HP5 :)

Super Takumar 55mm 1.8 - Tri-X 400

Back