The Prog ThreadMusic 

• Thread starter Diego440
  • 175 comments
Zrow
I always considered most of the bands here as "rock". Honestly, there's such a large variety of bands that you guys have listed that I can't understand how it can be called the same specific genre.

I also think it'd be really easy to like a band like say, Tool, but dislike Pink Floyd or something like that. It's just too varied for me to call them the same thing.

Well, as most genres, there's different sub-genres. Although bands like Pink Floyd, although quite mainstream nowadays, have roots in Prog and every now and then have a Prog song. For example, The Wall may be less prog than say, Animals, or Echoes. Another way to identify Prog bands is that they're apparently unconcerned for the song's length... you'll notice most mainstream bands try to keep their songs at a maximum time of around 4-5 minutes; while a Prog song can last in excess of 20 mins. Look at Opeth, Rush, Dream Theater and Marillion to name a few; save for a few "entre-acte songs" most of them are above the 7-minute mark.

Still, I understand the line is sometimes quite blurry, but many bands while being Prog are also mainstream, like Supertramp (nowadays), Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree and modern Yes.

As time goes by, the line blurs and blurs even more. I recommend you check out the roots of Prog. Like early work by Yes, Rush, Pink Floyd and even look into a sub-genre called Italian Prog, the best bands out of it are Le Orme, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso and Premiata Formeria Marconi (PFM); it's pretty wild, and most of it is from the early-to-mid-70s.

magburner
Count me in! I'm a Pink Floyd fan, my favourite track by them is the epic 'one whole side of an LP' - Echoes. I have been known to listen to Marrilion, Genesis and Yes at times too. I haven't dug much further into the genre, though I plan too in time.

Those are great bands! [Pre-Fish-departure] Marillion is one of my favourite. Check out my past recommendations on this thread for some other great Prog bands.

I've been meaning to do a huge review for people interested in Prog. Maybe explaining a bit on each sub-genre and mentioning the best bands / best music out of each one. My Prog collection has grown in the last few months (to something around 60 Gbs). It's just that I started a new job yesterday (after being unemployed for a very long time) and I'm still getting the hang of it. Still, expect some nice recommendations pretty soon, since this week, being the first one, should be light.

Diego440
I was just listening to that album. It's got some very nice songs.. and as you listen ot it, it just keeps getting better and better.

I was also listening to Into the Electric Castle, Vols. I and II, and I must say I didn't really like it much... or at leats compared to The Human Equation. Good stuff either way.

Did you listen to the Universal Migrator?

Pink Floyd is the greatest band off all time in my books :)

I enjoy dream theater as well :)

Actually I haven't heard any of those two bands. What kind are they? I really don't like prog metal where the singer is opera-trendy... I hate those screams! They completely screw up the song for me... I prefer instrumental prog metal though.

Diego440
Actually I haven't heard any of those two bands. What kind are they? I really don't like prog metal where the singer is opera-trendy... I hate those screams! They completely screw up the song for me... I prefer instrumental prog metal though.

Universal Migrator is an older Ayreon album(s), available as pts.1 & 2. And Star One is another project by Ayreon's Arjen Anthony Lucassen, the last album from them I heard was 'Space Metal'. It was pretty good. Not opera-like, have no fear.

Also, check out Pagan's Mind if you haven't already.

I listen to Dream Theater, Symphony X, Pink Floyd and some Rush too. I'll check on Ayreon, it seems interesting.

Right... part one of a massive Prog review...

This one is a brief explanation of the Prog sub-genres and their most influential bands. In the best work of each band, I've included my personal favourites, which doesn't necessarily mean it is their best work, but if you haven't heard it, it would be my first suggestion.

General Overview

Progressive Rock is a very broad style of rock. It started in the 60s, reaching peak popularity in the early 70s, but still continues to be a musical form. Prog is a medium of raising music to a higher quality level than mainstream, traditional music. Among traditional progressive rock bands are Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Genesis, Pink Floyd and Yes; while some not-so-old bands include Arena, IQ, Pendragon, Dream Theater, Marillion and Porcupine Tree.

Art Rock
This is the sub-genre to which the original Prog rock bands belong to. Many of the bands in this category may have had roots in other sub-genres, but because of their contributions to Prog in general, they’re included here. Some of the bands may also have started Prog and then turned mainstream, or vice versa. There are also modern bands that are included because their style imitates the classic bands.

Main Representatives and their best Prog work:
- King Crimson: In The Court of the Crimson King (1969), Red (1974), Larks’ Tongues in Aspic (1973), Lizard (1970)
- Rush: Moving Pictures (1981), Hemispheres (1978), A Farewell to Kings (1977), Permanent Waves (1980), 2112 (1976), Signals (1982)
- Gentle Giant: In a Glass House (1973), Octopus (1972), Free Hand (1975), The Power and the Glory (1974),
- Van Der Graaf Generator: Pawn Hearts (1971), Godbluff (1975), H to He, Who Am the Only One (1970)
- Supertramp: Crime of the Century (1974), Even in the Quietest Moments (1977), Breakfast in America (1979)
- The Mars Volta: De-loused in the Comatorium (2003), Frances the Mute (2005), Amputechture (2006)
- Peter Hamill: The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage (1974), Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night (1973), In Camera (1974)

Canterbury Scene
This is the name of most bands that come from the town of the same name, around Kent. The style is mostly post-psychedelic, featuring a nice mix of jazz improvisations with rock rhythms and some psychedelia. Most of their major representatives began in a band called Wilde Flowers, which lasted from 1963 to 1969. By the mid-70s, many Canterbury bands had progressed into extended fusion jams with very few lyrics.

- Caravan: In the Land of Grey and Pink (1971), If I Could Do it All Over Again, I’d Do it All Over You (1970), For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night (1973), Caravan & The New Symphonia (1974)
- Hatfield and the North: The Rotter’s Club (1975), Hatfield and the North (1973), Afters (1980)
- Robert Wyatt: Rock Bottom (1974)
- Soft Machine: Third (1970), The Soft Machine (1968), Bundles (1975), Volume Two (1969)
- Gong: Radio Gnome Invisible VolS. 1-3 (1973), Est-ce-Que Je Suis (1969), Camembert Electrique (1971)

Experimental / Post-Rock
Experimental as such is any music that challenges the commonly accepted notions of music. In Experimental Prog there is an overlap with avant-garde music. As with other edgy forms of music, there is little agreement as to the boundaries of it. On one side, some experimental music is an extension of traditional music with a bit of unconventional instruments, mods, noises and other novelties. On the other hand, there are some performances which I wouldn’t consider to be music at all.
Post-Rock is a term coined in 1994 to describe a sort of music which uses rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes. The term was initially used to describe the music of Stereolab, Seefeel, Bark Psychosis and Pram, although nowadays it’s used for other sorts of electronica- and jazz-influenced music. Early 90s bands like Slint or, earlier, Talk Talk are influential in this style.

- Godspeed You Black Emperor!: Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven (2000), F# A# (1997), Yanqui U.X.O. (2002), Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada (1999)
- Sigur Rós: Agaetis Byrjun (1999), Takk… (2005), (_) (2002), Hemmur* (2002)
- Explosions in the Sky: The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place (2003)
- Ulver: Perdition City (2000), Themes from William Blake’s The Marriage of Heaven and Hell (1998), Bergtatt (1994), Blood Inside (2005)
- Don Caballero: Don Caballero 2 (1995), World Class Listening Problem (2006), American Don (2000), Whatever Burns Never Returns (1998)
- Mogwai: Happy Songs for Happy People (2003), Mr. Beast (2006)
- Tortoise: TNT (1998), Standards (2001), It’s All Around You (2004), Tortoise (1994), The Brave and the Bold (2006)

Indo-Prog / Raga Rock
This style is based mostly on metaphysical relations and symbolism, coupled with classical India music. The music itself is said to be a message of the divine, taking the listener to an emotional trance. Born in the mid-60s with the international success of raga masters like Ravi Shankar and Ali Akbar Khan. The music consists mostly of repetitive circular rhythms, long improvisations and much ornamentation. The effect on the listener is hypnotic, trying to make him/her reach a higher state of consciousness. Famous bands like The Beatles included this style in songs like Revolver and the band Traffic also included raga in the album Mr. Fantasy, occasionally integrating sitar elements in their music.

- Shakti with John McLaughlin: Natural Elements (1977), A Handful of Beauty (1977)
- Codona: Codona 3 (1983), Codona (1978)
- Quintessence: Epitaph for Tomorrow (1993?), In Blissful Company (1969), Quintessence (1970), Indweller (1972)
- Saturnia: Saturnia II (2001)
- Third Ear Band: Abelard and Heloise (1970), Music from Macbeth (1972), Alchemy (1969)
- Clark Hutchinson: A=mh2 (1969), Retribution (1970)

Italian Symphonic Prog
Such a great amount of progressive music emerges from Italy that some people believe it belongs in its own sub-genre. Lyrics are almost entirely in Italian, and compositions sometimes follow traditional Italian arrangements. However, Italian prog can, and sometimes does, fall into other sub-genres.

- Premiata Forneria Marconi: Per un Amico (1972), Storia di un Minuto (1972), L’isola di Niente (1974)
- Museo Rosenbach: Zarathustra (1973)
- Banco del Mutuo Soccorso: Darwin! (1972), Io Sono Nato Libero (1973), Banco del Mutuo Soccorso (1972), …di Terra (1978)

Jazz Rock / Fusion
This style fuses traditional jazz arrangements, instruments and performance style with elements of progressive rock. The result is usually instrumental jazz-rock with a bit more technical edge and complexity. It’s very interesting to listen to, especially if you appreciate the amazing virtuosity of these artists.

- Mahavishnu Orchestra: Birds of Fire (1973), Inner Mounting Flame (1971)
- Colosseum: Valentyne Suite (1969)
- Return to Forever: Romantic Warrior (1976), Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy (1973)
- Al Di Meola: Elegant Gypsy (1977), Land of the Midnight Sun (1977)
- Weather Report: Mysterious Traveller (1974), Tale Spinnin’ (1975)
- Allan Holdsworth: Metal Fatigue (1985)
- Tribal Tech: Tribal Tech (1991)
- Planet X: MoonBabies (2002), Universe (2000)
- Niacin: Organic (2005)

Krautrock
Krautrock refers to the German bands of the early 70s that expanded the sonic possibilities of prog. Instead of following in the same direction as British and American bands, who were moving towards jazz and classical-based compositions, the German bands became more mechanical and electronic. Bands like Faust, Can and Neu created pulsating sounds with early synthesizers. Although their music didn’t make much impact at the time, it served as a stepping stone in the post-funk movement of the early 80s, particularly in industrial rock.

- Can: Tago Mago (1971), Future Days (1973), Ege Bamyasi (1972), Monster Movie (1969)
- Neu!: Neu! (1972), Neu! ’75 (1975)
- Amon Düül II: Phallus Dei (1969), Tanz Der Lemminge (1971), Wolf City (1973)
- Popol Vuh: Tantric Songs (1981), Hosianna Mantra (1972), Brüder des Schattens (1978)
- Guru Guru: Moshi Moshi (1997?), Mani in Germany (1981)

Neo Progressive
This genre emerged in the early 80s, when many UK-based bands focused their music on deeper new wave sounds, both instrumentally and lyrically. The premier band of this genre is Marillion. Neo-Prog bands are mostly influenced by early Genesis and Camel. The music is much lusher than general rock, but lacks the symphonic sound of bands like Yes. It includes dynamic solos and deep, insightful lyrics. Although the major players in this genre still produce music, the classic era of neo-prog effectively ended when Marillion’s vocalist, Fish left the band in 1987.

- Marillion: Script for a Jester’s Tear (1983), Misplaced Childhood (1985), Clutching at Straws (1987), Recital of the Script (1983), Fugazi (1984)
- IQ: Dark Matter (2004), The Seventh House (2000), Ever (1993), Subterranea (1997)
- Arena: The Visitor (1998), Contagion (2002), Immortal? (2000)

Prog Folk
In the late 60s, at the time of the protest movements, and sometimes linked to left-wing tendencies, musicians like Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, John Denver and Woody Guthrie were the most popular, but as they each turned more popular, they changed a bit their style: Dylan went electric and Folk Rock was born, opening the door for younger musicians to create similar music, the most famous of which was Jethro Tull. The style itself has many medieval influences and traditional instruments are often used.

- Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick (1972), Aqualung (1971), Songs from the Wood (1977), Heavy Horses (1978), Minstrel in the Gallery (1975)
- Strawbs: Grave New World (1972), From the Witchwood (1971), Hero and Heroine (1974)
- Mostly Autumn: The Last Bright Light (2001), The Spirit of Autumn Past (1999)
- Traffic: The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys (1971), John Barleycorn Must Die (1970)
- Mago de Oz: Finisterra (2000), Jesús de Chamberí (1996)

Progressive Electronic
After Krautrock bands experimented mixing rock rhythms with electronic instruments, two bands stayed with the synths and left the rock instruments on the side: Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream. Kraftwerk pioneered the concept of pop music performed on synthesizers, having a tremendous impact on almost all electronic pop in the remainder of the 20th century. Tangerine Dream was more minimalist, creating atmospheric sounds that helped invent the genre known as space music. Most electronic music of recent years owe a great deal to the basic innovations of these early electronic artists.

- Kraftwerk: The Man-Machine (1978), Trans-Europe Express (1977), Computer World (1981), Autobahn (1974)
- Klaus Schulze: X (1978), Audentity (1983), Mirage (1977), Timewinde (1975)
- Tangerine Dream: Phaedra (1974), Rubycon (1975), Stratosfear (1976), Force Majeure (1979)
- Brian Eno: Another Green World (1975), Apollo (1983)
- Vangelis: El Greco (1998?), Heaven and Hell (1975), Tangram (1980)
- Jean Michel Jarre: Oxygene (1976), Equinoxe (1978), Rendez-Vous (1986)

Progressive Metal
Progressive metal didn’t develop as a genre until the mid-80s, when acts like Dream Theater, Queensrÿche and Fates Warning took elements of progressive rock groups and merged them with heavy metal characteristics. The result could be described as progressive rock mentality with heavy metal sounds. Prog Metal can be broken into countless sub-genres, but two bands are commonly described as prog metal but are at opposite ends of the sonic spectrum: King’s X and Opeth. King’s X is influenced by softer mainstream rock and grunge, while Opeth’s growling vocals and heavy guitars usually cite them as death metal. Classical and symphonic music also have had important impact on the prog metal genre, with bands like Symphony X and Spock’s Beard fusing classical complex sounds with prog metal. Also, bands like Planet X and Liquid Tension Experiment or Dream Theater have a large jazz influence.

- Dream Theater: Scenes from a Memory Metropolis Part II (1999), Images and Words (1992), Awake (1994), Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (2002)
- Tool: Lateralus (2001), Aenima (1996), 10,000 Days (2006)
- Ayreon: The Human Equation (2004)
- Riverside: Second Life Syndrome (2005), Out of Myself (2003)
- Beyond Twilight: For the Love of Art and the Making (2006)
- Pain of Salvation: The Perfect Element Part 1 (2001), 12:5 (2004), Remedy Lane (2002)
- Opeth: Ghost Reveries (2005), Still Life (1999), Blackwater Park (2001)
- Fates Warning: A Pleasant Shade of Grey (1997)
- Symphony X: The Divine Wings of Tragedy (1997), V: The New Mythology Suite (2000)
- Queensrÿche: Operation: Mindcrime (1988)

Proto-Prog
This genre is for rock bands in existence prior to 1969 that have influenced the development of progressive rock. The late 60s was mostly predominant of experimental music, and these bands moved in a stream which eventually led to prog. Some of these bands became prog rock, some did not.

- Deep Purple: Made in Japan (1972), Machine Head (1972), In Rock (1970), Fireball (1971)
- The Beatles: Abbey Road (1969), Revolver (1966)
- The Moody Blues: Days of Future Past (1967), To Our Children’s Children’s Children (1970), In Search of the Lost Chord (1968)
- Vanilla Fudge: Renaissance (1968), Vanilla Fudge (1967)
- Procol Harum: Grand Hotel (1973), Procol Harum (1967)

Psychedelic / Space Rock
Emerging in the mid 60s as the British Invasion and folk-rock bands began expanding, these groups moved toward free-form fluid song structures, as well as experimenting with alterations of instruments and voices. The bands range from early Pink Floyd to newer artists like Ozric Tentacles. These days, psychedelic usually is a mix between space rock and space fusion. Space Rock is usually jam-oriented with synthesizers and guitar effects, inducing an “interstellar travel”. Hawkwind is the key band.

- Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here (1975), Dark Side of the Moon (1973), Animals (1977), Meddle (1971), The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967), A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
- Porcupine Tree: In Absentia (2002), The Sky Moves Sideways (1995), Deadwing (2005)
- Eloy: Ocean (1971), Planets (1981), Dawn (1976)
- Hawkwind: Warrior on the Edge of Time (1975)
- Negative Zone: Negative Zone (2005)
- Ozric Tentacles: Jurassic Shift (1993), Spirals in Hyperspace (2004)

Rock in Opposition / Avant-Prog
Often abbreviated RIO, this form of prog rock relies heavily on early 20th century avant-garde classical structure; dominated by dissonant chords, odd time meters and abstract, often political, vocals. This sort of prog is best appreciated at live concerts, as the interaction between the musicians is quite astounding to watch. Avant-Prog is short for avant-garde progressive rock. This style appeared in the late 70s as the extension of RIO and Canterbury. The bands came mostly from the USA, but also from Europe and Japan, and they composed mostly short instrumental pieces, while avoiding the pomposity of larger prog acts.

- Frank Zappa: Hot Rats (1969), You Can’t Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 2 (1988), We’re Only in it For the Money (1968), The Grand Wazoo (1972), Uncle Meat (1969)
- Hövry-Kone: Huono Parturi (1997)
- Mr. Bungle: Disco Volante (1995)
- Thinking Plague: In Extremis (1998)
- Univers Zero: Heresie (1979), Uzed (1984)
- Henry Cow: In Praise of Learning (1975), Leg End (2001?), Western Culture (1979)

Symphonic Prog
This is the sub-genre that includes the most bands in prog rock, mainly because for many it’s synonymous with classical prog. The main elements in this sub-genre are the mixture of elements from different genres, complex time signatures, lush keyboards, non-commercial approach, longer format songs, and of course, an influence of classical music. As with any other genre, different bands have different influences and approaches. While the music of Yes and Genesis has a more Baroque style, Emerson, Lake and Palmer tend to be more post Romantic. The genre started in 1969 and lasted until the mid-to-late 70s, when it began to merge with more mainstream influences that gave birth to Neo Prog. During the 90s a revival of the genre appeared in Scandinavian countries, spreading to the rest of the world in 2000s.

- Yes: Close to The Edge (1972), Relayer (1974), Fragile (1972), The Yes Album (1971), Tales from the Topographic Oceans (1974)
- Genesis: Selling England by the Pound (1973), Foxtrot (1972), The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974), Nursery Cryme (1971), A Trick of the Tail (1976)
- Camel: The Snow Goose (1975), Mirage (1974), Moonmadness (1976)
- Anglagard: Hybris (1992)
- Emerson, Lake and Palmer: Brain Salad Surgery (1973), Emerson, Lake and Palmer (1970), Trilogy (1972), Tarkus (1971)
- Focus: Hamburger Concerto (1975)

Zeuhl
Although the word means “celestial”, the music is a mixture of musical genres like neoclassicism, romanticism, modernism and fusion. Common elements are the marching themes, throbbing bass and ethereal use of piano and brass instruments.

- Dün: Eros (1981)
- Magma: Mekanik Destruktïw Kommandöh (1973), Üdü Wüdü (1975), Köhntarkösz (1974)
- Happy Family: Toscco (1997)
- Eskaton: Musique Post Atomique (1979), 4 Visions (1979)

Prog Related
This genre refers to rock and pop bands after 1970 that weren’t true prog, but were clearly not mainstream or simply “rock” or “pop” bands. It usually involves progressive artists that strayed from their progressive roots into prog-influenced music. Although much of these bands are unrelated to prog, their music have traits common with prog in that it was very structured and pioneering in their style. Though these artists cannot be considered pure prog, their relation to it is not to be underestimated.

- Wishbone Ash: Argus (1972)
- Queen: Queen II (1974), A Night at the Opera (1975), Innuendo (1991)
- Alan Parsons Project: Tales of Mystery and Imagination (1976), I, Robot (1977)
- Peter Gabriel: Peter Gabriel 3 (1980), So (1986), Peter Gabriel 4 (1982), Passion (1989)
- Kate Bush: Hounds of Love (1985), Never for Ever (1980), The Dreaming (1982)
- Primus: Frizzle Fry (1990)
- David Gilmour: On An Island (2006)

That's it. The next one will probably be a more in-depth look at Prog metal, since it's what most users here tend to be more interested in... although there seems to be also some following to symphonic prog. Ah well, I'll probably type up both, we'll see.

Wooooow.... Best post ever. 👍

I have a lot of bands to check out now! Thank you, and I am very much looking forward to part II.

I picked up my dad's Alan Parsons Project CD, it's pretty good. 👍

And great post, Diego.

So what about a band like Led Zeppelin? Prog? I still hold that any rock band of any kind could be considered prog.

Zrow
So what about a band like Led Zeppelin? Prog? I still hold that any rock band of any kind could be considered prog.

Led Zeppelin could have started as prog, and indeed, their first few albums are considered somewhat prog, but it's not great prog... if you get my meaning. It's more prog-related which later (and quickly) went mainstream.

Thanks, ceiling_fan and Event... I really enjoyed typing it :)

speedy samurai
Spock's Beard? Flower Kings? where are you?

huh? You've never heard them? Spock's Beard I like so so, but Flower Kings are great!

Diego440
Led Zeppelin could have started as prog, and indeed, their first few albums are considered somewhat prog, but it's not great prog... if you get my meaning. It's more prog-related which later (and quickly) went mainstream.
I consider their first (2) albums as bluesy, the only song by them I'd consider prog is No Quarter.

Zrow
I have sooo much respect for Led Zepplin, they basically invited metal. But Ptog wasnt them. The Led Zepplin of progressive would be Yes. The band the influenced some of the biggest hitters!

Right... so I've started the Prog Metal part. I haven't advanced much, but I've so far achieved dividing Prog Metal into six categories. I'll be editing the first post with links to these explanations. So here's a bit on the first category:

Progressive Power Metal

Orchestral / Neoclassical
Adagio: Hailing from France, this band has had many line-up changes in which only the guitarist Stephan Forté remains constant. The music is very technically precise, with dark and dense orchestration, complex lead work, a driving rhythm section and clean, powerful vocals. Their latest album, Dominate, includes death metal grunting.; although I think their best work is Sanctus Ignis (2001). Also check Underworld (2003).

Epica: This is a Dutch metal band, which uses many operatic elements and death grunts, they even sing in Latin sometimes. The band was formed by ex-After Forever guitarist, Mark Jansen. Basically they’re another gothic-like band in which the female singer is ultra hot and sings beautifully. But the also make very nice music.

Kamelot: Founded in Tampa, FL in 1991, this band is pretty hard to label. They’re not cheesy “epic” power metal (dragons, swords, warriors, etc.), but they aren’t as progressive as Symphony X or Shadow Gallery. I’d consider them to be Melodic metal with prog elements. Their album The Fourth Legacy is full of folk touches, but Karma is by far their best work. Key albums: The Black Halo (2005), Epica (2003).

Nightwish: Another of these gothic-rooted bands. This one comes from gothic-metal-land, otherwise known as Scandinavia… Finland, more specifically in this case. They were formed in the mid-90s, but had to wait almost 10 years to make it big outside their country. Rumours about the lead singer being fired are true, but the band is searching for a new singer because they apparently have a new album set for release, they just need the vocal tracks. I’d say their best album is Angels Fall First (1997) and Oceanborn (1999), but as it so often happens with bands as famous as this one, everyone has a different opinion.

Rhapsody: This is the type of band I don’t like; I call it cheesy power metal. The song’s topics are dwarves, dragons, warriors, and similar stuff. They were first called Thundercross, then changed to Rhapsody and recently re-changed it to Rhapsody of Fire. The musical style is some sort of neo-classical metal with the incorporation of classical baroque music and heavy metal styles. It has come to be known as Hollywood Metal. I used to like this band a lot, but the music gets old quickly. Their best work would be Legendary Tales (1997) and to a lesser degree, Symphony of Enchanted Lands (1998). The leader of the band is called Luca Turilli, who also launched a solo career, with music that is exactly like Rhapsody’s.

Symphony X: This band from New Jersey is really the essence of Prog Metal. Musically, they’re heavier (and unfortunately, sometimes cheesier) than most prog metal bands to which it’s compared: Dream Theater, Fates Warning, or Pain of Salvation. Their style is similar to DragonForce or Rhapsody, but in a very progressive fashion, incorporating elements of symphonic metal. Their first three albums are pretty good, but their best work is V: The New Mythology Suite (2000) and The Divine Wings of Tragedy (1997). Be sure to check The Odyssey (2002).

Therion: Their music is highly mythological and Scandinavian. What more do you need to know? They have become an operatic and symphonic metal band, mixing melodic-Iron-Maiden-inspired metal with classical music and with clear male and female choirs along with a male singer. In the latter albums they’ve even hired world-class orchestral players of violin, flute, cello and so on. If you’re a real metal fan, you’ll probably like all their albums, otherwise the latest ones, beginning with Theli (1997) are supreme. Therion is a unique metal band, whose music must be heard because it frankly doesn’t get much better. Their latest releases have perhaps become too soft, letting the choirs and orchestra do too much of the music, but it’s still great. Other key albums are Sirius B (2004), Lemuria (2004) and Vovin (1998).

Time Requiem: Also from Scandinavia. This band is actually what the band Majestic turned into, but with another label. The Flower Kings’ bassist Jonas Reingold produced their first album, self titled in 2002, and later in 2004 he joined the band. Their music is similar to Symphony X, Shadow Gallery and Pagan’s Mind. You’ll notice mostly powerful guitars and very technical keyboards in this band, with very brilliant bass and drums, and to top it off, the near operatic singing.

Symphonic

Angra: A Brazilian mainly power metal band. They now play more straight forward heavy metal, though. They have been openers for big bands like AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Dream Theater. Key albums include Holy Land (1996) and Temple of Shadows (2004).

Evergrey: Swedish band formed in 1996. They set themselves apart by finding a sound that is distinctly their own. But then again, their sound is what I would call Dark Prog Metal; or even yet Disturbed Prog Metal, since the music is haunted by anguish and other dark emotions. Song writing is excellent and their dark style is engaging. Key albums: The Inner Circle (2004), In Search of Truth (2001) and Recreation Day (2003).

Fates Warning: This band started out as a heavy metal band, but after a few albums their progressive tendencies started to emerge. While staying faithful to their metal roots, their music grew increasingly complex, with longer tracks and interwoven melodic elements added. They merged their love for Yes and Rush with elements of pure metal, classical crescendos and interludes of jazz fusion. Fates Warning has been largely responsible for the influx of progressive music into heavy metal music. Be sure to check out A Pleasant Shade of Grey (1997), which is basically a 40-minute song; also Awaken The Guardian (1986), Parallels (1991), Perfect Symmetry (1989) and Disconnected (2000).

Labÿrinth: Very similar to Rhapsody in that they’re both Italian and have a bombastic fashion style to their music, with symphonic and neo-classical approach. The band is essentially speed neo classical metal, with strong Helloween influence. Their best album might be Return To Heaven Denied (1998).

Queensrÿche: This band, along with Dream Theater and Fates Warning, is the founder of prog metal as a genre, starting in the late 80s. Like most metal bands of the mid-90s, they lost a great amount of fans with the appearance of grunge, but they stayed true to their prog roots and still continue to produce great music. Best albums are Operation: Mindcrime (1988), Promised Land (1994), Rage for Order (1986) and Empire (1990).

Redemption: This American band was formed by former members of Fates Warning and Prymary. Early albums also included members from Symphony X and Steel Prophet. Although the band is highly original, if you like Fates Warning, Ark, Andromeda or Dream Theater, you’ll probably enjoy this one. Key album: The Fullness of Time (2005).

Savatage: Early 80s thrash metal band which later turned prog; they’ve released a couple of rock opera albums, although personally they’re not very good, it’s important that they’re included in this list, and even heard a couple of times for their contributions to the genre. Check out Streets-A Rock Opera (1991), Edge of Thorns (1993), The Wake of Magellan (1998), Gutter Ballet (1989) and Handful of Rain (1994). They also play a good cover of ‘Hall of the Mountain King’.

Superior: This German band has a strong similarity to mid-period Dream Theater, but they aren’t just another DT clone. Their sound includes very well-played keyboards, although it’s very guitar-driven with a liberal use of piano. The music is dark but the lyrics are poetic. Check out Ultima Ratio (2002).

Raw / Traditional

Accomplice: This prog metal quartet from So-Cal used to be an opening act for bands like Judas Priest, Rush, Van Halen, Savatage, and a few others. Their music is full of power and fury, something of a mix between Dream Theater, Queensrÿche and Fates Warning. They only have one album (I think), and it’s very, very clean, with strong melodies, although their sound is more like 80s Arena Rock than 90s prog metal. Highly recommended for hard rock fans, especially if you like melodic hard rock. Album: Accomplice (1997)

Alkemyst: This speed-prog band is pretty new and somewhat unknown, but worth checking out. Their only album is called Meeting in the Mist (2003).

Ark: This Norwegian band shares its name with another British prog band. But this one is prog metal while the other is neo prog. They’ve really made an effort to not copy other band’s sound, but try to produce their own. The result is that they’ve mixed a bunch of styles perfectly together. Influences range from prog to jazz, to flamenco, to orchestral, to salsa, with an astounding depth of lyrics. Their best album is probably Burn The Sun (2001).

Avalon: A melodic power metal from Germany, they fall in the same class as Blind Guardian, since they have the same catchy melodies, classical orchestration and all around power. Instrumentally, they are superb; vocally, they sound just like BG. Key album: Mystic Places (1997).

Majestic: This neo-classical prog metal band is pretty much a mix between Symphony X, Rising Force and Stratovarius. While their first album (Abstract Symphony, 1999) is pure prog power metal, their second album (Trinity Overture, 2000), although very good, is mainly hard rock, with a bit of prog elements.

Manticora: Although lack of info avoids me from writing much about them, they’re a pretty nice Danish band. Influences are Iced Earth, Metallica and Savatage, and they sound like a mix between thrash metal with power metal. Key albums are Hyperion (2002) and 8 Deadly Sins (2004).

Nevermore: This band from Seattle incorporates elements from death, speed and prog metal with some use of acoustic guitars and a wide range of vocal styles. Key album: This Godless Endeavour (2005).

Integra Type R
Diego, your post on progressive metal is the first post that I've given rep to. Excellent job. 👍 👍

ahh, so it was you! :lol: Thanks :) Dammit, first time in my GTP life I'm making posts worth repping and I can't even see my points.

Oh, by the way, clear your inbox... my PMs are bouncing.

I'll have to go through a couple more people; I already repped your general post.

I checked out Luca Turilli's Dreamquest project and it seems pretty good, at least the 2006 album. I wasn't able to hear out the lyrics, but they were mainly female I think.

Also, I would say that the Universal Migrator sounds better overall than Human Equation.

ROAD_DOGG33J
I checked out Luca Turilli's Dreamquest project and it seems pretty good, at least the 2006 album. I wasn't able to hear out the lyrics, but they were mainly female I think.

Hmm... Luca's voice is very feminine, and he loves to scream... I haven't heard the last album, and judging from his past work, I don't think I want to.

Diego440
ahh, so it was you! :lol: Thanks :) Dammit, first time in my GTP life I'm making posts worth repping and I can't even see my points.

Oh, by the way, clear your inbox... my PMs are bouncing.

:lol: You're welcome.

Inbox cleared. :)

Diego440
Hmm... Luca's voice is very feminine, and he loves to scream... I haven't heard the last album, and judging from his past work, I don't think I want to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luca_Turilli's_Dreamquest

That's a relief, it says that he is doing keyboards and that there is a female singer. I don't remember any screaming. But I'll make sure to avoid Rhapsody.

Nah, he doesn't sound like a girl but his accent is terrible. Though André Matos (Shaaman) and Mr. Labrie from Dream Theater sound like girls sometimes.

Diego440
Nevermore: This band from Seattle incorporates elements from death, speed and prog metal with some use of acoustic guitars and a wide range of vocal styles. Key album: This Godless Endeavour (2005).

I recommend Dead Heart, in a Dead World for those interested in this band.

ROAD_DOGG33J
I recommend Dead Heart, in a Dead World for those interested in this band.

Indeed. The song 'The Sound of Silence' (yes a cover of Simon & Garfunkel's), is surprisingly good.

Back