The Racing Pentathlon-Suzuka, Nurb, Spa, Portimão & Interlagos

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 128 comments
  • 12,633 views

What PS3 racing games do you have or plan to have ASAP?


  • Total voters
    35
  • Poll closed .
All through last week I stopped playing SCC entirely and devoted myself to the other games I have. Specifically, I returned to:
- Shift
- GRID
- GT5P


I am still waiting V8 Next Challenge to be released, and I am still on the lookout for F1:CE

SCC and FC I don't need to play to remind myself how they are :D

And didn't play the current V8 because it's kind of pointless (so few have it) and - tbh this is the real reason - because my "partner" in these expeditions (AlanG) doesn't have it.





So, this is what I have concluded so far:

1) The multi-game event will feature at least 3 games:

- SCC
- Shift
- GT5P

because:
a) they are "good enough" to be fun
b) most people have all of them



2) The multi-game event won't feature at least 3 games:

- FC
- GRID
- V8 Superstars


because:
a) FC is too similar to SCC, only the old Misano is exclusive to that one
b) GRID is :yuck: ( I forgot how bad it was, needed to use it to remind myself)
c) Only 6 people so far (in the poll) have reported to own V8 Superstars, new game will soon be out, no use in beating a dead horse, etc etc



3) F1:CE and V8 Superstars: Next Challenge are still being considered for an "extended" version of the multi-game event, so if you can buy any or both of them, please do.

(note to north american players: if you want to buy F1:CE online-able, you'll have to order a PAL copy)
 
Last edited:
Hi

Today I was checking the official website for the 2010 Superstars V8 Championship and 2 things got my attention:

1) There is a new category held within the Superstar Series - The V8 Superstars V8 GT Sprint. Basically it's open entry for all GT race cars (GT cup, GT1, GT2, GT3) for races of 25 minutes + 1 lap. I wonder if we will get something in the upcoming game that'll reflect this...

2) The 2010 calendar - I don't know exactly which tracks were on the previous game but somehow I think some are new to the series. Can you guys confirm it?

2010 Superstars V8 championship

Round 1 - Monza
Round 2 - Imola
Round 3 - Vallelunga
Round 4 - Portimão
Round 5 - Hockenheim
Round 6 - Mugello
Round 7 - Varano
Round 8 - Paul Ricard (longer circuit - not the short version of SCC)
Round 9 - Vallelung (yes, again)
Round 10 - Kyalami

Also, on the first game, did they feature 2 races in each circuit has in real life?
 
Hi

Today I was checking the official website for the 2010 Superstars V8 Championship and 2 things got my attention:

1) There is a new category held within the Superstar Series - The V8 Superstars V8 GT Sprint. Basically it's open entry for all GT race cars (GT cup, GT1, GT2, GT3) for races of 25 minutes + 1 lap. I wonder if we will get something in the upcoming game that'll reflect this...

2) The 2010 calendar - I don't know exactly which tracks were on the previous game but somehow I think some are new to the series. Can you guys confirm it?

2010 Superstars V8 championship

Round 1 - Monza
Round 2 - Imola
Round 3 - Vallelunga
Round 4 - Portimão
Round 5 - Hockenheim
Round 6 - Mugello
Round 7 - Varano
Round 8 - Paul Ricard (longer circuit - not the short version of SCC)
Round 9 - Vallelung (yes, again)
Round 10 - Kyalami

Also, on the first game, did they feature 2 races in each circuit has in real life?

Hi Bullie!

I think V8 Next Challenge will feature the 2009 cars and - I guess - tracks, so you might want to check the 2009 championship.

From the list above, the first V8 game (PS3 version) doesn't have:

- Imola
- Hockenheim
- Paul Ricard

Also, in the original V8 game you didn't have 2 races, only one. Each championship stage had:

Free Practise 1 - 30 minutes
Free Practise 2 - 30 minutes
Quali - 30 minutes
Race - about 15 laps (if on "real" duration setting)


PS - Meanwhile, and "pentathlon" related, I'd like to inform that I finally got myself a brand new copy of F1:CE, with a big help from Bullie! 👍
 
Hi

Today I was checking the official website for the 2010 Superstars V8 Championship and 2 things got my attention:

1) There is a new category held within the Superstar Series - The V8 Superstars V8 GT Sprint. Basically it's open entry for all GT race cars (GT cup, GT1, GT2, GT3) for races of 25 minutes + 1 lap. I wonder if we will get something in the upcoming game that'll reflect this...

2) The 2010 calendar - I don't know exactly which tracks were on the previous game but somehow I think some are new to the series. Can you guys confirm it?

2010 Superstars V8 championship

Round 1 - Monza
Round 2 - Imola
Round 3 - Vallelunga
Round 4 - Portimão
Round 5 - Hockenheim
Round 6 - Mugello
Round 7 - Varano
Round 8 - Paul Ricard (longer circuit - not the short version of SCC)
Round 9 - Vallelung (yes, again)
Round 10 - Kyalami

Also, on the first game, did they feature 2 races in each circuit has in real life?

Unfortunely i think there will only one class series in the game and the format in the previous game,of racing weekends was : 2 Pratice sessions 1 qualifying session 1 race

Now as far as the tracks concerns there seems to be some new ones(Hockenheim,Paul Ricard and Imola weren't featured in previous game-despite Imola being already(twice i think) in 2009 calendar...-from the videos of the demo to x360,but they are kind of blury and the player cycle very quickly but i can swear i could see Magionne despite not being in this year calendar,as well as Adria,so it seems
 
Hi Guys.
Kyalami is a home circuit for me, its a fantastic track which i know well. Never raced it in a game before, but in real time the, mine shaft, castrol, havoline, all great fast technical parts.
i will get v8 new challenge on the 26 Feb just for this track..
 
Hi Guys.
Kyalami is a home circuit for me, its a fantastic track which i know well. Never raced it in a game before, but in real time the, mine shaft, castrol, havoline, all great fast technical parts.
i will get v8 new challenge on the 26 Feb just for this track..

Try 1968 Kyalami in 'Grand Prix Legends' (PC game). Great game. The best racing sim ever in my opinion. It's around 11 years old now, but well ahead of its time.
 
I'd like to keep you guys updated on what is going on (only in y mind, so far :D) here.

We will definitely run a RACING WORLDWIDE TRIATHLON that will feature three events, all in the same night.

These 3 events will be held at:

- GT5P - SUZUKA (if when we do this Suzuka is world event)

- NFS: SHIFT - NURBURGRING NORDSCHLEIFE

- SCC - SPA - FRANCORCHAMPS

Developer's Diary: World Event races in GT5P are limited to 12 players, and Shift online is also limited to that number of players. IF we get a greater number of participants for the Thriatlon, I will - according to a method I haven't figured out yet - create two groups with an equal number of players and those two groups will make semi-finals and final in SCC and Shift.

Dividing the players in groups will be anyway needed in GT5P where the online is pre-historical and has no lobbies, neither public nor private. So, it is very difficult to reunite more than 6 players in the same race (groups of 4 being probably the wisest decision).

In all these games, first half of the field in any race will proceede to battle the first half of the field from the other group in the following race. In the end, all will be placed and ranked according to which final (A or B) they have attended.


All participants in the WORLD TRIATHLON will also be invited to participate in a EUROPEAN PENTATHLON, adding to those 3 events two more:

F1:CE - TRACK UNDECIDED YET (I'd like to hear the F1:CE experts on this, I just bought the game but didn't try it seriously yet)

V8 SUPERSTARS: NEXT CHALLENGE - PORTIMÃO

Developer's Diary: It is a pity that F1:CE isn't playable online in NA, but just by looking at the poll in this thread it's easy to realize that many people have the game and so a race with it should be included in this "mixed" event. Of course all people from NA can still take part, but to do it they need a PAL copy of F1:CE and that's probably not reasonable to buy at this moment)

V8 Next Challenge has very few people (9, if I'm not mistaken) planning to buy it at this moment. AND, I don't think it will be released/distributed in the NA market. So I took it out of the Main event (the Triathlon) but included it in the optional Pentathlon, I think the game deserves a place here.


That's all for now ... keep checking this thread, I'll keep posting whatever my ideas are and would like you guys to give me your feedback and, of course, post your own ideas also.
 
Last edited:
Well I'm off this event, since I don't have Shift anymore and I will not buy it back again (just got F1:CE and already pre-ordered V8SS:NC).

I'm really getting into V8 and I feel will be a great game. I eagerly awaiting for its release to test it out and maybe organize a full V8 champioship online.
 
F1 is great especially since the update which has improved the force feedback on the DFGT, I'll definitely be having the odd session on that until the next one is eventually released.

I don't think words can really justify how good GT5P is, even though it's essentially just a demo I must of played it more than any other game ever although it is wearing a bit thin now but I'm still on it more regularly than anything else. It just out classes everything else out there, even games released nearly 2 years after.

Grid is nothing special really, it's a bit too arcadey for me, the main reason I brought it was because it's the only recent game I've seen which has my local track (now wasteland :grumpy:) Donnington Park, don't really think I'll spend that much time on it in the future.

Supercar Challenge has it's good points but I think they are out weighed by the bad one's.

I haven't got the other games listed, I'm not really interested in Ferrari Challenge as I don't think it will be any better than Supercar Challenge. Never played on V8 superstars, looks like they wanted to do a DTM game but didn't want to pay for the license, doesn't really interest me. Need for Speed always seems to be aimed directly at children in my opinion and even when I was a child I thought the first Need for Speeds were just terrible, I've only been on the demo of Shift but that was enough for me.
 
Last edited:
Try 1968 Kyalami in 'Grand Prix Legends' (PC game). Great game. The best racing sim ever in my opinion. It's around 11 years old now, but well ahead of its time.

In 1968 kyalami was still the older version track it got a face lift about 20+ years ago, there are only a few parts of the old track which you race on the back straight. Do you know about R factor.? great sim racing PC game.. you'll find videos on you tube. its amazing.. The "race pro" is out of this world cool. its a xbox game.. GT5P/TT, SCC, SHIFT. have loads to learn about sim racing games..
I have played both now, R factor and race pro man i was impressed, oh i played them both using a wheel and one big monitor/tv, it was like i was in the cars. i hope V8SS/NC will be half as fun, sumhow i dont think so..
With r factor i raced the lmp1 Audi R10 TDI bro "tunnel vision" le mans straight did sum low flying, it felt so real.. Reminded me of GT4 in a "way" but this was just way better.
 
In 1968 kyalami was still the older version track it got a face lift about 20+ years ago, there are only a few parts of the old track which you race on the back straight.

Yeah, the old Kyalami was running clockwise, and the new one anti-clockwise. They old one was very different, but still a great one. Pretty funny - possibly the only time I've experienced modern Kyalami in a simulation was on the SNES game, 'Nigel Mansell's F1 Challenge'! (cutting-edge simulation in its time)
 
@Alan,
My Father use to race the old track, he always use to say it was a special track in his heart. Ok he raced it in his renualt cordiney way slower than the older F1 cars. I was still in nappies at that time. lol.
The old track is steeped in histroy, Local and international.. Great stuff..
 
I planed on getting V8 SS but then decided not to cause it wasnt worth the money. But im gonna take my chances this time and get next challenge and go threw importing it to the US.
 
@ Alan and chilled: TRD2 featured (the modern) Kyalami. And, of course, V8SS does it also.

@Bullie: you must get Shift some how. Contact all your PS3-owner friends (but me) and ask them their copy just for a few weeks :D

@ all:

If nothing specially good or bad happens meanwhile, the WORLDWIDE TRIATHLON OF RACING GAMES will be run after the Easter Holidays, therefore in mid-April. I like to plan well ahead.

The Triathlon will be run in one night. And it will be limited to 12 players (because it corresponds to the max lobby capacity in Shift), although if there is interest enough (and enough people) we will be able to solve that problem creating a second separated group, allowing for a FINAL between the top 6 of each of the original groups.



The TRIATHLON will start with a GT5P race, event decision pending of the line up available by then. Players will be split in groups with no more than 6 but each of them equal in number.

So, if 12 players do show up they will be split in 2 groups of 6 players each. Let's call them groups A and B. Each group does one race at the designated event (details on how to meet online in GT5P are available in gtplanet, but we will discuss this more in due time).
Then, the top three of group A race the top three of group B (Final A). And the bottom three of group A race the bottom three of group B (Final B).

This will give us the position of all drivers after the first GAME, like this:

1st to 6th - first to sixth places in Final A

7th to 12th - first to sixth places in Final B

Then, it will be time to move on to NFS: SHIFT

(to be continued ... )



Please note: Inscriptions ARE NOT OPEN yet, so don't bother registering for it ... but it will be wise to show your interest and say what games you have and don't have, it helps figuring out what will have to be done in a way that works for most.
 
Welcome (finally) to the F1CE club, Mario. IMO, all things considered, it remains the best "serious" racing game for the PS3 - a game that you can actually spend hundreds of hours offline playing without it getting boring. However, as you will discover, the lag issues make it much less successful as an online game.
 
...Anyone want to buy my Shift? :grumpy: Bidding starts at 1 Euro. In fact, I'll accept pieces of string in exchange.
 
...Anyone want to buy my Shift? :grumpy: Bidding starts at 1 Euro. In fact, I'll accept pieces of string in exchange.

You liked it that much, uh?! :dopey:

@ Mario: After my acquisition yesterday (:D), I'm jus waiting to get V8SS:NC from Amazon (delivery due between 2nd - 5th March). Then I will cease my "PS3 investments" for a while (I would said until GT5 comes out, but then again that could very well mean that I would never buy another game again until my retirement at 65...). As for your suggestion of borrowing it, I don't believe that any of my friends do actually own the game (car racing is something of my own taste... they prefer FIFA and so), and buy it back, spending 45/55 Euros just for the sake of the Nordschleife is something that its not going to happen - as much appealing as riding the 'Ring in the GT3RS can be!
 
Last edited:
I like the look of V8SS:NC and hopefully it can live up to it's promise.

The problem with Shift is that there is a lot to like about it's looks but the driving experience is atrocious. That along with the fact that it positively encourages over agressive behaviour on the track leads to the conclusion that if you asked me for a one word description of the game you only have to take the letter F out of it's title!
 
Just a litle post to let all wannabe "penthatlonists" (how do you say this in English?) know that the new lineup of GT5P events features a world PRO event at Suzuka, limited to 550PP. Good choice for some 512BB racing, or even a few other interesting cars, like the NSX. Being a world event means there's no region lock (NTSC and PAL match together).

Concerning this "region lock" thing, I was wondering if NTSC players only need a PAL account to go online with F1:CE (entering the PAL servers) or if their only option is a PAL F1:CE game.

One other "heads up" to say that V8 SS:NC should be reaching the store's shelves by now all around Europe.

Remember, the multi-game event (provisionally called the "Penthatlon") will be run mid-April ... prepare yourselves! 👍
 
Remember, the multi-game event (provisionally called the "Penthatlon") will be run mid-April ... prepare yourselves! 👍

:lol: That's in... two months :crazy:

Looks like an appointment for my national health service family doctor!
 
:lol: indeed, but if you want to race and to be competitive in one single night at:

- Suzuka, racing in GT5P
- Spa, racing in SCC
- Nordschleife, racing in NFS: Shift
- Interlagos, racing in F1: CE
- Portimao, racing in V8SS: NC

... then you'll need 2 things. The games and practise time :D


PS- Thanks to Bullie , got myself V8SS:NC already. Expect my review tomorrow in the appropriate thread!
 
Hello Mario.Do you have the full game already(SSV8 NC) I look fore it,but in Norway i cant find it. They say Q1 no date
 
:lol: indeed, but if you want to race and to be competitive in one single night at:

- Suzuka, racing in GT5P
- Spa, racing in SCC
- Nordschleife, racing in NFS: Shift
- Interlagos, racing in F1: CE
- Portimao, racing in V8SS: NC

... then you'll need 2 things. The games and practise time :D


PS- Thanks to Bullie , got myself V8SS:NC already. Expect my review tomorrow in the appropriate thread!

OMG am I jealous...:banghead:can't wait my copy to arrive and take the M3 to Portimão and Kyalamy...
Waiting for your preview Mario...👍
 
:lol: indeed, but if you want to race and to be competitive in one single night at:

- Suzuka, racing in GT5P
- Spa, racing in SCC
- Nordschleife, racing in NFS: Shift
- Interlagos, racing in F1: CE
- Portimao, racing in V8SS: NC

... then you'll need 2 things. The games and practise time :D


PS- Thanks to Bullie , got myself V8SS:NC already. Expect my review tomorrow in the appropriate thread!


So, my V8SS:NC just showed up in the mail. I never bothered to check if my NTSC version of F1:CE will work online with my PAL PSN account. But otherwise I'm in. What's going on Mario? Are we still on for this or what?

(BTW, this is the second game I bought on your recommendation where I've had some doubts. If it's as bad as I'm thinking, you can forget about me buying Booty Call (or whatever the heck it's called)).
 
Excuse my ignorance but what's "Booty Call ", or is it just a private joke?:dopey:
 
Beats me. Ask Mario--it's this game he's sometimes playing when he's bored of racing. He claims it's great for kids.

EDIT: Sorry, it's AGE OF BOOTY, not "Booty Call". Sheesh! :dunce::lol:
 
Last edited:
@jjaisli
A European account won't help. The servers are coded into the games. It doesn't matter what PSN account you use.
 
Back