The Railfan Thread

Roo
My sister phoned me earlier today to let me know that 60103 Flying Scotsman was pausing on its way to London Victoria to take on water at my home town's station:

Also, bonus freight train that happened to pass through on the down line. I don't know what it is but you guys might like it.

The freight train is a Class 66.

"Momma I'm comin' home!"
showimage.jpg

CSX repainting an original C&O SD40 back to C&O paint before delivering it to the C&O Historical society. Chessie paint would've been nice too, but seeing it back in basically as delivered condition is great. :D

Last edited:
CSX once again repainted a unit into C&O paint, this time in Chessie scheme and on a B30-7. The unit now sits at the Lake Shore Railway Museum in North East, PA, which is just where I was last weekend while on a camping trip with a railfan friend and his younger brother. Since the museum permits visitors to go inside some of their locomotives, I had to get a little more creative than just taking some photos.

A funky thing happened yesterday. There are GO train tracks that run within about 150 feet of the job I'm working on and GO is the only one that uses them, except for yesterday. A CN train headed south to Toronto came through and they have their own tracks about 10 km East of the GO tracks. I don't know what the track sharing rules are between the two but evidently they exist.

Hmm I'm guessing those SD-40's are a relation to the X class here in Victoria as both are of the same vintage and of EMD stock.

A funky thing happened yesterday. There are GO train tracks that run within about 150 feet of the job I'm working on and GO is the only one that uses them, except for yesterday. A CN train headed south to Toronto came through and they have their own tracks about 10 km East of the GO tracks. I don't know what the track sharing rules are between the two but evidently they exist.
Probably a trackage rights agreement for a minor derailment or a traffic hiccup on CN's side of Toronto.

Hmm I'm guessing those SD-40's are a relation to the X class here in Victoria as both are of the same vintage and of EMD stock.
You're correct. All the same mechanical components, and same age of the original straight 40's.

CSX repainting an original C&O SD40 back to C&O paint before delivering it to the C&O Historical society. Chessie paint would've been nice too, but seeing it back in basically as delivered condition is great. :D

CSX once again repainted a unit into C&O paint, this time in Chessie scheme and on a B30-7.

Why don't they just make heritage units already? NS and UP have had them for a while.

I must confess, for I have a inner railfan from when I was 8 years old still in me. If you're familiar with it, I live outside of Nashville and the Music City Star commuter train passes by my neighborhood every day at multiple intervals. The Music City Star fleet goes from Lebanon to Nashville and it a great way to get to work without the stress of traffic. The fleet consists of 3 (maybe 4 IIRC) Ex-Amtrak F40PHs, one of them from one of the California Amtrak branches, and a handful of passenger cars from Chicago's Metra commuter train. The Music City Star also partakes in commuting sports fans to Nashville for mostly NFL games, maybe NHL if the Stanley Cup is going on. It is honestly one of the most interesting things to see, as the F40PH is one of my favorite diesel locomotives ever made.
8129.1245906301.jpg
c2f1e74f-067d-4add-90ac-ffc36098889c-large16x9_MtJulietTrainStation.JPG

railwayage article
EHH eliminated Road Foreman of Engines positions. He eliminated yard cabs, and Trainmasters are now required to take crews out to trains in their own cars.

I witnessed the fallout of this yesterday. I spent the day watching trains at Collier Yard in Petersburg, Virginia and saw a CSX engineer have to walk from the yard office to the head end of his train, which was at least a mile away. No Trainmaster in sight.

I finally got a picture of the Amtrak train that goes right next to my college campus and passes a mile away from where I'm staying.

IMG_0849.JPG

I snapped this in the middle of town. Here they're going slower, maybe only 60 or so miles per hour, but out by where I'm staying they pass by at 80-100. There's no stopping them on the way to Chicago!

I finally got a picture of the Amtrak train that goes right next to my college campus and passes a mile away from where I'm staying.

View attachment 675993

I snapped this in the middle of town. Here they're going slower, maybe only 60 or so miles per hour, but out by where I'm staying they pass by at 80-100. There's no stopping them on the way to Chicago!
Nice shot. 👍 :D

79mph limit for non-ATS equipped locos. 60mph limit for crossings without gates.

Nice shot. 👍 :D

79mph limit for non-ATS equipped locos. 60mph limit for crossings without gates.
Thanks, and I think speed is fair game for them once they're outside of Kalamazoo proper. Any crossings I've seen on this route have full gates, they're just out of shot with this picture. I know this is one of the routes they run the Genesis up to 100, so they must have ATS equipped.

In all honesty, I think this train makes good time, even in town. It was scheduled to leave Kalamazoo Station at 2:24, and it passed me two miles away at 2:28. Less than an hour and a half later it's in Chicago, and that's with five stops between here and there.

I really can't wait to get a few winter shots and maybe a couple videos this winter.

Sorry for the double post, but it's been a few days.

Managed to snap pictures of two trains going by last Friday morning. One going eastbound that I didn't expect to see, and another that I was waiting for that was going westbound. The eastbound train caught me by surprise, so I just took pictures from the road at the crossing signal.

IMG_0881.JPG

The second I had plenty of time to set up for, so I took a shot I had wanted to take for a while.

IMG_0957.JPG

I'll see if I can find a better spot closer to the tracks for another try at it.

In Britain, the most common train family is the Electrostar. They dominate the south of England and it's hard to find a line there without them. Over it's life, the Electrostar has had 7 variations. However, two of them have very forgotten about and have been in love. This is the story of the Class 357 and 379.

The Class 357 was the first ever Electrostar. It was an electric version of the diesel Turbostar series (hence the name) and has its roots with the Networkers that came before it. The Networker Turbos were DMUs that were meant for unelectrified lines, while the normal Networkers worked on the electrified ones. The Class 168 would be the next generation and would be built by Bombardier for Network SouthEast. However, privatisation happened so NSE never got them, so they went straight to Chiltern Railways. The older units had a Networker Turbo front but later ones took on the classic Turbostar front end. This is where the 357 comes in. Early on in privatisation, the trains were getting old, most made in the 80s. New trains were needed and there were two options: refitting the old ones (story for another day) or get new ones. Bombardier hopped onto the latter and basically added a pantograph to a Turbostar, replacing the diesel engine and creating the Electrostar. Other than the slot for the pantograph, the 357 looked identical to the 168 and its friends, the Class 170, 171 and 172. The Class 357s though were only ever used on one line, making the 375 (that had a new front end with a gangway) the king of the pack. The 375 became the base for the Electrostars after it, the metro-style 376 and 378 as well as the 377, 387 and the 379.

The Class 379 was basically a 377 that used a pantograph only and, if I remember correctly, a higher top speed. It was sadly only ever used by Greater Anglia, mainly for the Stansted Express route.

While the 357 is a lot more common than the 379, both never really caught on. Recently c2c (the 357's only operator) wanted new trains and decided to take the 387s (that have third-rail shoes even though c2c's routes only have overhead wires) when they could have gotten 379s that only have pantographs and would fit better. Sad.

I've had a few job offers recently that involve other countries.
One of the countries is where the Viceroy Special is still active. :crazy:

I can't believe that sound. That is the sound of a real train. I'm sure very soon the high-speed 'floating trains' of the future will have no 'clickety-clack' or 'chuff-chuff-chuff'. Probably just a 'sswoooooosssh' as it whizzes by.

The weird thing? The Viceroy was the very first train I rode. Taking that job would be almost like going back to my childhood.
Investigating all this I came across a sightly longer video of the same Viceroy - these people are just about having too much fun:

And 'tablets'? :dopey:
Evidence of the British Railways . . . .

I've had a few job offers recently that involve other countries.
One of the countries is where the Viceroy Special is still active. :crazy:

I can't believe that sound. That is the sound of a real train. I'm sure very soon the high-speed 'floating trains' of the future will have no 'clickety-clack' or 'chuff-chuff-chuff'. Probably just a 'sswoooooosssh' as it whizzes by.

The weird thing? The Viceroy was the very first train I rode. Taking that job would be almost like going back to my childhood.
Investigating all this I came across a sightly longer video of the same Viceroy - these people are just about having too much fun:

And 'tablets'? :dopey:
Evidence of the British Railways . . . .

Not the only place where steam lasted a long time (Sri Lanka dieselized in the 80's, Viceroy stayed steam though). Chinese mining companies, coalieries in eastern Europe, and other various parts of the world still employ the power of a steam locomotive as regular power for revenue work. And as for the old Victorian era of train orders, its a system that works, and there's no reason to replace. it. ;) Steam in Sri Lanka is just the Viceroy now I believe, but there are preservation runs. :D *see video down below*

Rails won't be replaced for a very time. Maglev's are expensive toys that are not cut out for the rough, dirty industrial conditions a railway that operates both types of traffic (freight and passenger) goes through. Same goes for that stupid tube idea Elon Musk is attempting in California.

What an entrancing video!
I usually am very sparing when getting into YouTube - it's a life-sucking pastime. Wonderful thing, though, for those who are disabled and are strapped to a wheelchair; so much to pass the time with. My forays are usually limited to cramming about some subject relevant to a project I'm involved in or otherwise as a convenient video jukebox to be booted up on some display while other stuff is being done.
You got me perfectly - this one captures every sexy sound of that steam engine. OMG. Just past the 10 minute mark it becomes obscenely significant. Great cuts on this - and holy moly - I'm looking at simply unspoiled paradise.
There was a moment when a whole group of children ran beside the engine - and then of a sudden the whole mob stopped by a single calm adult - amazing to see.

The stations are so old world, and even the various buildings connected with signalling, etc. beside the track are so well-kept that it seems we're instantly transported to some ancient time - as if time stopped still in an Enid Blyton tale.
This one has to be seen in full 4K with the sound totally cranked up. :lol:
I listened to it the second time with the sound full blast and got yelled at half-way through!
No, I didn't reduce the sound. Life is short. :dopey:

Not the only place where steam lasted a long time (Sri Lanka dieselized in the 80's, Viceroy stayed steam though). Chinese mining companies, coalieries in eastern Europe, and other various parts of the world still employ the power of a steam locomotive as regular power for revenue work. And as for the old Victorian era of train orders, its a system that works, and there's no reason to replace. it. ;) Steam in Sri Lanka is just the Viceroy now I believe, but there are preservation runs. :D *see video down below*

I see trains - the concept of a long articulated transport on a fixed track of some sort - as perennial.
Trains changed civilization. Societies clumped by the coasts because travelling long distances overland was not as easy as travelling long distances on water. Trains came along and took large clumps of people and loads of supplies and scattered them everywhere people could lay tracks.

The concept of a large intestine filled with stuff travelling crawling over the earth is a natural one, and trains are a natural evolution of that idea. If I were to follow the patterns of the past, and how long trains have been around, then they are going to remain around for a long, long time. No better way to move large quantities of people and supplies great distances with stops at will to remote locations.
Obviously the technology advances steadily while retaining the same idea - a long train running in a closed circuit.
The old Victorian order still works perfectly in locations like above, and I hope they preserve those systems for as long as these old Iron Horses continue to pull for us. They are a reminder to us of the power of water, the mettle of steel, the ingenuity of man.

It was amazing in the video you pulled how enamoured the local people seemed to be with the engine, treating it almost as they would the elephants that amble around there among the populace.
In the Tour Video that I posted, the Viceroy actually broke down enroute, but they did a quick rail side repair and were on their way again. :lol:
I'm so glad to see these 'preservation' runs being made in countries that can still run some of these locomotives as they used to.

Rails won't be replaced for a very time. Maglev's are expensive toys that are not cut out for the rough, dirty industrial conditions a railway that operates both types of traffic (freight and passenger) goes through. Same goes for that stupid tube idea Elon Musk is attempting in California.

AFAIK - to add to that logistical nightmare, they are using broad gauge - and in fact the highest point that broad gauge has been laid anywhere in the world is that point that the Viceroy gets to - must be an amazing feeling to get up there; apparently the train halts and everybody gets out to prance around for a bit.

IIRC - they have a narrow gauge line there, but I'm not sure whether they run steam engines on it.

A few days ago I went on a holiday to Littlehampton, in Sussex, in England, in Europe, on Earth. Firstly I travelled on a Southeastern Class 395 Javelin to Ashford International, where I changed onto a Class 171 Turbostar to go to Brighton.

The 171s are the least well-known Turbostar, along with the 168. The 171 is virtually identical to a Class 170 except it has a Dellner coupler to work in emergencies with a Class 377, but could theoretically work with something with a Dellner coupler. Two-car and four-car versions exist and can work together to make 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12-car units, although thr longer ones are rarely used. The Class 171s are also extremely comfortable because the 170s (on which they are based) are designed for long-distance journeys.

Anyway, once we had reached Brighton on the mildly packed 171, we immediately changed onto a Class 377 heading to Southampton Central, but we got off at the little but pretty station of Ford, at which point we changed onto another 377 to get to Littlehampton.

The day after, I went back home. First I travelled on a Class 313 (the oldest mainline stock in use in Britain - the 483 doesn't count) which would have headed to Brighton. However, at Worthing, the train stopped to let two trains past. The driver kindly said that passengers for Brighton only should change because a train was arriving and was faster. This train was a Great Western Railway Class 158, albeit still in First Great Western livery. The train was full so I had to stand in the doorway area for the whole journey. The train was pretty fast and I got to Brighton. The train then went to Bristol Temple Meads. I had just missed my connection to Ashford so I had to wait at Brighton. Once I got to Ashford, I quickly changed onto a Southeastern Class 375 (high-capacity version) to get home.

Thanks for reading.

Just a few days ago my 18 year old son suddenly comes up to me quite pensively and asked me : "What's a train ride like, Dad?"

For a few seconds I was left nonplussed; I couldn't process the question. Someone didn't know what a train ride was like.
Then I had to remember - he had been on the subway once (as a baby) but otherwise he had never ridden the rails. Not a 'real' train'; out in the open, blazing along like a monster with everyone inside it feeling the excitement of being in the grip of such power, nay, belonging to it, a part of it as it transported them past countryside rarely seen this way.

Johnny Cash said it best in his song I've got a Thing about Trains':

"Train train train I've got a thing about trains
I get a sad kind of feeling when I see a passenger train
In this fast movin' world that we live in nobody rides 'em much these days
Maybe I'm a little sentimental cause I know that things have to change
But I'd still like to go for a train ride cause I've got a thing about trains

Train train train you're fading from the scene
But you've had your days of glory train train train

Train they say you're too slow for travelin' but I'm gonna miss you some day
When my little boy says daddy what was it like to ride a train
I'll just say it was a good way to travel when things didn't move quite so fast
And I'm sorry son that you can't ride one the trains are the thing of the past

Train train train you're fading from the scene
And I'm gonna mourn your passing train train train
I've got a thing about trains…..
"

And that thought brought another: no other form of transport has generated so much music about it.
Not cars, not planes, not boats, not spaceships. Train music. There's just tons and tons of tracks when it comes to trains.

Just a few days ago my 18 year old son suddenly comes up to me quite pensively and asked me : "What's a train ride like, Dad?"

Wow, that's pretty amazing Harry.
I know times changes and we all move on etc etc, but to hear a 18 year old who hasn't been on (or at least remember) a train ride just blows my mind.
Rail here in Aus is booming and believe me I know it as I enter my 28th year in the rail industry.

Back