The Railfan Thread

Also, here's a local train museum piece.
upload_2016-3-30_16-11-13.png

upload_2016-3-30_16-16-9.png

You guys seem to be well-versed in this train business, so can you tell me these models? I pass them by sometimes and never knew what they actually were.

Also, here's a local train museum piece.
View attachment 532235

You guys seem to be well inversed in this train business, so can you tell me these models? I pass them by sometimes and never knew what they actually were.
Canadian National 4-6-0, and one of the prairie oil burners. The CN's branchline power from the steam era was fantastic. :D Technically though it was originally a Canadian Northern loco. As Canadian National was formed by the Canadian government in WWI when they nationalized the Grand Trunk, Canadian Northern and (I believe another one). CPR was left alone as they were operating well.

I added a second to the post that I found, know what that is? I only know it as the 6591
And that'd be a MLW (Canadian licensed ALCo basically) S-1 for the Canadian Pacific in the old classy maroon and grey paint scheme.

Last edited:
upload_2016-3-30_16-23-55.png

I've found some other ones of that model in the CP Rail livery. See trains in this colour go by all the time by the Station Theatre. (a converted train station made into an auditorium) CP Rail liveries are simple and clean, like a Ferrari F1 car almost compared to some other liveries.

Also, trains have played the most vital roll in the formation of Canada, transportation to the outermost reaches of the west, which I find pretty neat from a historic standpoint. Somewhat like how trains connected the eastern and western regions of the US when the whole "cowboy" Old West era was going on.

View attachment 532240

I've found some other ones of that model in the CP Rail livery. See trains in this colour go by all the time by the Station Theatre. (a converted train station made into an auditorium) CP Rail liveries are simple and clean, like a Ferrari F1 car almost compared to some other liveries.

Also, trains have played the most vital roll in the formation of Canada, transportation to the outermost reaches of the west, which I find pretty neat from a historic standpoint. Somewhat like how trains connected the eastern and western regions of the US when the whole "cowboy" Old West era was going on.
Well the simplicity was also a cost cutting tactic. :P CPR is Canada's Union Pacific basically (course CPR single handily built the Canadian trans-con). They're steam locomotives were quite stunning, especially the semi-streamlined 4-6-2's, 2-8-2's, 4-6-4's and 2-10-4's.

Sadly current day CPR is run by an oofe who would probably be the racing equivalent of Tony Fernandes or Bernie Eccelstone.. :indiff:

Yeah, I see some lawsuits against an E. Hunter Harrison from Memphis, something to do with $40 million in benefits to him or something.

Yeah, I see some lawsuits against an E. Hunter Harrison from Memphis, something to do with $40 million in benefits to him or something.
And that's the least of CPR's problems. :lol: Among the uncared for fleet of locos, poor management, not treating employees right, bad track and thinking a merger will get their problems solved. Yet nobody wants any part of it. :P Oddly, Harrison got IC bought by CNR after running them into the ground, then ran CNR into the ground, got fired or left (forget) and got hired by CPR....clearly somebody didn't read the resume. :banghead:

And that's the least of CPR's problems. :lol: Among the uncared for fleet of locos, poor management, not treating employees right, bad track and thinking a merger will get their problems solved. Yet nobody wants any part of it. :P Oddly, Harrison got IC bought by CNR after running them into the ground, then ran CNR into the ground, got fired or left (forget) and got hired by CPR....clearly somebody didn't read the resume. :banghead:

This may be a little late, but I recently learned that a great uncle of mine used to work for CP. Not anything special, just thought I'd share it.

About a year and a half ago I binge watched any video I could find on the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway. It's an absolutely fascinating looking railway with a gauge of 15 inches and some beautiful steam locos. I've not seen a video of a freight but apparently they happen sometimes, these very little engines run between 10 and 20 passenger cars a lot of the time by themselves. I vow to one day visit this little railway that celebrated its 90th birthday this year.

About a year and a half ago I binge watched any video I could find on the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway. It's an absolutely fascinating looking railway with a gauge of 15 inches and some beautiful steam locos. I've not seen a video of a freight but apparently they happen sometimes, these very little engines run between 10 and 20 passenger cars a lot of the time by themselves. I vow to one day visit this little railway that celebrated its 90th birthday this year.

The best "Live Steam" miniature railway in the world. :D

Well I've got nothing at them moment really, so here's a pair of shots I took of my fictional railway "Pacific Great Western", in Open Rails Train Simulator. I used a Northern Pacific 2-8-2 tender on a Western Pacific 4-8-2 and dang did it work out good. Locomotive by Derek Miller, tender by Tim Muir, passenger cars by Derek Miller, route is the 3D Trainstuff Donner Pass that I'm modding. All the rolling stock I repainted/relettered and a friend did the train board mod.
A.png
Ass1.png

Last edited:
This one has been a hit today on Instagram, with over 50 likes so why not post it here? Norfolk Southern SD60 in Altoona, PA. And for a throwback to my visit to the Lake Shore Railway Museum in Erie, PA, me in a New York Central U25B.

PhotoEditor-1482178712853.jpg

Love going to Chicago. I went there Saturday saw a few trains in the yards in Indiana. Then when I was coming home I saw two bnsfs going over this bridge
IMG_5501.JPG

First time in a while that I've seen a train over that bridge.
Then this one going by the toll road. Took this going 75 mph
IMG_5502.JPG
IMG_5503.JPG

It's a South Shore freight engine, it was just the two engines.

On Friday, just after getting out of the Channel Tunnel I saw another Class 700 (or at least similar stock because there are different versions of it) in a siding ready to be pulled through the Tunnel and most likely taken to the Class 700 depot (or depot for similar stock) which, for the 700 at least, I think is at Three Bridges. Couldn't take a photo, though, because of EuroTunnel rules.

My sister phoned me earlier today to let me know that 60103 Flying Scotsman was pausing on its way to London Victoria to take on water at my home town's station:

Also, bonus freight train that happened to pass through on the down line. I don't know what it is but you guys might like it.

Back