The Railfan Thread

Lame! Guess I'm not up to speed on my active steam knowledge. The 614 and 3985 are 2 of my favorites.

Love me some Cumbres & Toltec, but my personal favorite is the Durango & Silverton. I need to get out there someday!
UP is also rebuilding 844. Both 844 and 4014 should be running by late 2016 or mid-late 2017. And 614 could run, there are plenty of capable lines (NS and the NJT) and 614 is in fair condition to be put through what could be a swift rebuild, however, Ross Rowland is more interested in his luxury train affairs. :banghead:

Both C&T and the D&SNG are extremely good lines and it's a blessing that both have such great fleets of D&RGW narrow gauge locos and stock. :)

UP is also rebuilding 844. Both 844 and 4014 should be running by late 2016 or mid-late 2017. And 614 could run, there are plenty of capable lines (NS and the NJT) and 614 is in fair condition to be put through what could be a swift rebuild, however, Ross Rowland is more interested in his luxury train affairs. :banghead:

Both C&T and the D&SNG are extremely good lines and it's a blessing that both have such great fleets of D&RGW narrow gauge locos and stock. :)

What does NS stand for? We use the same abbreviation.

Love me some Cumbres & Toltec, but my personal favorite is the Durango & Silverton. I need to get out there someday!

Western Maryland is my personal favorite, gonna try and swing a trip by once I finally get my drivers license and they get the next best thing to my Allegheny dream (C&O 1309) back operational.

Western Maryland is my personal favorite, gonna try and swing a trip by once I finally get my drivers license and they get the next best thing to my Allegheny dream (C&O 1309) back operational.
Same here, looking forward to a big ol' Mallet being in service. :D Just remember, the 1309 will be receiving a "Wild Mary" treatment and disguised as a Western Maryland 2-6-6-2 (odd because you know...they didn't have those...well it's loosely like the USRA 2-6-6-2 so it's not entirely odd). The hooter is staying I believe though. :P

Last edited:
Come guys, let's not let this thread die now. :D

Anybody here use heritageunits.com? Its used for tracking any heritage unit, Norfolk Southern Operation Lifesaver unit, etc. in the US. Pretty cool and helpful stuff. :cool:

Last edited:
I know some people who use that, if I didn't live about 3-4 hours from serious Class I mainline I'd use that a lot. :P

More stuff!

Reading and Northern 425 (ex-Gulf, Mobile & Ohio 425 for those that don't know) received a new paint job back in the summer, it's really grown on me. 👍

I think it's video time. Dual heritage video time. :mischievous:

I know some people who use that, if I didn't live about 3-4 hours from serious Class I mainline I'd use that a lot. :P

More stuff!

Reading and Northern 425 (ex-Gulf, Mobile & Ohio 425 for those that don't know) received a new paint job back in the summer, it's really grown on me. 👍

Looks pretty great. I have two Class I mainlines in my area (NS Pittsburgh Line and NS Conemaugh Line) as well as a Class II (Bessemer & Lake Erie) mainline.
Here is (surprisingly) the only rail work I've done. Honestly I should have a lot more due to the line that runs near my house (about a mile away) which I'll probably start doing sooner or later..
Untitled by Jacob Buchanan, on Flickr
Not a bad shot at all. 👍

Here is (surprisingly) the only rail work I've done. Honestly I should have a lot more due to the line that runs near my house (about a mile away) which I'll probably start doing sooner or later..
Untitled by Jacob Buchanan, on Flickr

Next time we should meet :)

I don't know anything about trains that are not in our (my work) inventory, can't remember how I learned about NOHAB, but they have beautiful locos.
9849.1093027680.jpg

2242_1.jpg

5451.1216274703.jpg

Odense_g.jpg

20090430201440_nohab-2372.jpg

nohab-lok-nr-1147-am-506381.jpg

I even have one in scale from Marklin :embarrassed: It's the only train model I have..

Next time we should meet :)

I don't know anything about trains that are not in our (my work) inventory, can't remember how I learned about NOHAB, but they have beautiful locos.

Odense_g.jpg

Hey that second unit (on the left next to that red white and blue unit) is painted in the old "Empire Builder" Great Northern scheme! :D I've seen some of those locos in "War Bonnet" Santa Fe paint too. :P

Hey that second unit (on the left next to that red white and blue unit) is painted in the old "Empire Builder" Great Northern scheme! :D I've seen some of those locos in "War Bonnet" Santa Fe paint too. :P

That makes it even cooler! :D

@Carlos Those trains look like a predecessor or something to these beauties.

4738219076_4bfb5b07a4_b.jpg

Ooh nice! We had a loco that looked even closer to that:
1216amsterdam.jpg

Even the colors are close.

Wow, Centraal Station has changed much eh

Yeah how was it when you were there? It was a construction zone for a long time but almost finished now. I like that they didn't touch the outside. It is built in late 1800s.

Yeah how was it when you were there? It was a construction zone for a long time but almost finished now. I like that they didn't touch the outside. It is built in late 1800s.
Still constructioney like. I didn't see anything major going on though.

But man, they could benefit their own citizens if they gave that first road walking towards the central square a larger crosswalk, or some sort of bridge going over...

That makes it even cooler! :D

Ooh nice! We had a loco that looked even closer to that:
1216amsterdam.jpg

Even the colors are close.
Doing some light digging, you're spot on, they're just called the "NS Class 1200". :P They were built starting in '51, while the British Rail Class 55's were built beginning in 61' @ECGadget. :P

I love the bogies on that Class 1200 electric, they're almost exactly like ALCo PA-1 bogies. :D (shown on Erie #853)
2047.1276127303.jpg

Last edited:
Still constructioney like. I didn't see anything major going on though.

But man, they could benefit their own citizens if they gave that first road walking towards the central square a larger crosswalk, or some sort of bridge going over...

:lol: I know.. Also with the light rail driving there, not a safe place to walk. My hometown station just got rebuilt totally.

Wanna go from Brussels to Amsterdam in 5 minutes?

Doing some light digging, you're correct actually, they're just called the "NS Class 1200". :P They were built starting in '51, while the British Rail Class 55's were built beginning in 61' @ECGadget. :P

I love the bogies on that Class 1200 electric, they're almost exactly like ALCo PA-1 bogies. :D (shown on Erie #853)
2047.1276127303.jpg

I see! And didn't they originally came from the US?

:lol: I know.. Also with the light rail driving there, not a safe place to walk. My hometown station just got rebuilt totally.

lol, yeah, someone wasn't looking at all when I first got their and the horn was.... well... not so impressive.

edit:
that thing looks like a tin-foil hat...

lol, yeah, someone wasn't looking at all when I first got their and the horn was.... well... not so impressive.

edit:
that thing looks like a tin-foil hat...

Thank you!! I'm saying exactly this, but then comparing it to Turkish food served always like this which is very populair here... "Kapsalon"..

It looks...interesting to say the least. :P

That transformation reminds me of Denver Union Station...quite the transformation. :eek: (the first pic is from the mid 70's but that's basically what it looked like until they finished the renovation last year)
denver_old_1978_aug_30.jpg

2014_denverunionstation_lg.jpg

I see! And didn't they originally came from the US?

Yes they did! From the Baldwin Locomotive Works! :D

It looks...interesting to say the least. :P

That transformation reminds me of Denver Union Station...quite the transformation. :eek: (the first pic is from the mid 70's but that's basically what it looked like until they finished the renovation last year)
denver_old_1978_aug_30.jpg

2014_denverunionstation_lg.jpg

Yes they did! From the Baldwin Locomotive Works! :D
Denver has some weird looking stuff that always involves tent like things....

At first I was like wow! that looks cool. But then Swagger said tent like, and I looked again.. Can not be unseen.

I remembered that as a kid I went to a railyard. And look what we have here...
23454248246_f3ed63bf6a_o.jpg

The NS 1200 :P

Doing some light digging, you're spot on, they're just called the "NS Class 1200". :P They were built starting in '51, while the British Rail Class 55's were built beginning in 61' @ECGadget. :P

2047.1276127303.jpg

Woop! I guess I know something about trains after all ;)
I did notice though, aren't the trains that are at the turntable not Class 54s?

Also, I remember those PA-1s from RailRoad Tycoon!

Back