The Railfan Thread

Woop! I guess I know something about trains after all ;)
I did notice though, aren't the trains that are at the turntable not Class 54s?

Also, I remember those PA-1s from RailRoad Tycoon!
Not sure of the name for those locos other than the manufacture , they don't really have a "name" or classification oddly.

Also, to those interested in the C&O 2-6-6-2 #1309 which is being restored by the Western Maryland Scenic, the inspector said that it's boiler is in "like new" condition. Operation may be as soon as mid-late 2016 possibly! :D

Can I throw some pics in here?

1879.1448306399.jpg

6619.1449198397.jpg

7772.1448674293.jpg

2463.1448516314.jpg

And came across a photo from the Netherlands that looks like it is from not too long ago.
7fbfeb5f866d5e32d0f37d5db93c5a85_1407922062_medium.jpg

Then searched nvbs 1200
reviews_1321698497.jpg

parallelb.JPG

I guess the owner is a fan of the 1200..

Nice pics! :D You know...I'm tempted to photoshop some "American" traits onto a 1200...

I'll add one from the old Maine Central Mountain Division:
7162.1097907060.jpg

Interesting to note the ditchlights on this unit in the early 80's, probably added by the MEC just for visibility purposes in the mountains like what BC Rail did.

Can I throw some pics in here?
1879.1448306399.jpg
Nice shot of VTR's newest toys! :D We just got 4 of those SD70M-2's from the Florida East Coast Railway (though we sold 4 GP38's and GP40's in exchange :( ). At some point they'll be repainted red. :P

Last edited:
Oh yeah the SD70M-2. It's big, but it isn't the biggest by a long shot. I believe EMD has exported the SD70 (not sure about the ACe/M-2 variant) as Class 66 to Britain and as a whole range of variants around the globe. If you compare an SD70 (the variants from the Spartan cabs to the ACe all use the same chassis) they are only slightly longer than an SD40-2 (the bread and butter of shortlines and road switching power these days) and are the same height as most SD/GP40's and so on. However, next to VTR's GP's they do seem huge, and especially by European standards. :P

The big bad DD40AX... :scared: ...synchronized EMD 645e3's for the win. :D

Tried to find recent pics of Donner Pass in the snow and found this recent one of the California Zephyr being assisted by a UP SD70ACe because one of Amtrak's P42's failed. This is was taken at Boca, California.
1242.1448766046.jpg

A friend of mine just sent me this...and I'm still not sure what I'm looking at. :odd:
12351631_902151849833115_1733759107_o.jpg

It's a GMDH-1 built by EMD's Canadian division. Apparently it was an experimental diesel-hydraulic. Only 4 were built. GM used to put a lot of car design into their locomotives. 👍

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Norfolk Southern's GoRail unit (in the video below) but it's about to pass by on one of my local lines in about an hour. I'll try to get at least a photo for you guys. 👍

EDIT: Never saw the unit.

Last edited:
Does Metro/Subway count as Railway? haha Because for the last year I have been keeping a close eye on everything about São Paulo Metrô system, and learning more and more. Also, it's my area somewhat (Mechanical Engineering student :D)

Does Metro/Subway count as Railway? haha Because for the last year I have been keeping a close eye on everything about São Paulo Metrô system, and learning more and more. Also, it's my area somewhat (Mechanical Engineering student :D)
Rolls on two rails don't it? :P Of course it counts! :D Afterall, Elevated/Subway lines started out as just elevated and subterranean lines with special loco's for the job.

Rolls on two rails don't it? :P Of course it counts! :D Afterall, Elevated/Subway lines started out as just elevated and subterranean lines with special loco's for the job.

Good haha I'll post about São Paulo's Subway on Saturday, when I'm free haha

Well finally got home a few days ago, and stood up to pull these two down. Forgive me for sounding quite stupid to you all, but I haven't touched these things for the better part of 10 years. I last recall playing with them when I was in the 5th grade, using the 4-8-4 for a school project to explain something which I was probably wrong about...

Untitled by Jacob Buchanan, on Flickr

The most recent one I purchased was the 4-8-4, and it was my first steam locomotive. I've had three other locomotives, two Santa Fe engines (plus 1 dummy), and this Conrail, and steam. I recall being at my grandparents house when my dad called me, asking what model did I want. I knew this was what I was looking for:
7624.75.jpg

Then to come home and see a Conrail, ugly nose looking thing, I was such dissapoint. I swore to god I told him, "you know, the ones we see go by the lake". I've never seen a Conrail train in my life, only CSX, Santa Fe, NS, and BNSF, nothing else, and as a 6 year old (I got it before the steamer) I was pissed off ferociously.

The track it goes on wraps across my entire room, and is about a foot off of the ceiling. I used to have a bunk bed, however not so much now. Tomorrow I'll get up there with a ladder (the bunk bed is gone) and sand down the track (can't believe I frickin remembered to do this...) to get better connections. Not sure if the conrail even works, but I was getting movement in my steam engine.

I'll also see if I can manage a video with steam actually coming out (if the fluid is still good...). It's 1:34am, so I'll get about 5 1/2 hours of sleep....

Figured out the steamer. Its a New York Central Niagra. Its only DC so it doeant do much than go forwards and back.
The Niagara was the best steamer on the NYC, 6000hp estimated, and good for 100mph. 👍 Not sure of the brand of that particular model, but Bachmann made a good highly detailed one in HO a short while back, easy to pickup on eBay.

A photo of the big bad 4-8-4 in the stereotypical Northeastern/Great Lakes winter scene.
DYK-1012-3.jpg

And at Crestline, Ohio in the summer.
TT02.jpg

It's so ****ing gorgeous! :drool: These things have really grown on me.

The Niagara was the best steamer on the NYC, 6000hp estimated, and good for 100mph. 👍 Not sure of the brand of that particular model, but Bachmann made a good highly detailed one in HO a short while back, easy to pickup on eBay.

A photo of the big bad 4-8-4 in the stereotypical Northeastern/Great Lakes winter scene.
DYK-1012-3.jpg

And at Crestline, Ohio in the summer.
TT02.jpg

It's so ****ing gorgeous! :drool: These things have really grown on me.
Yup, she beith a Bachmann.

I love the quality of it. I just need to find the right side panel thing (I know it's a smoke wind thing (wow I'm bad at this stuff)).

I just wish I can get the DCC version of it along with a transmitter for it..

Yup, she beith a Bachmann.
Probably the earlier run of the same model, the tooling looks different a little. Plus the side of the smokebox should be the same grey as the front. Good model none-the-less. 👍

I love the quality of it. I just need to find the right side panel thing (I know it's a smoke wind thing)...
Psssst...Smoke deflectors, or, aka "Elephant Ears". :sly: :lol: On wind you're right though, as they were fitted to engines because the air going between them would break up the flow around the boiler so the smoke would go away from the cab in a tunnel or such.

And now a few of the other many examples in North America. :D
nyc3137.jpg

081315_2334_CPNorthern33.jpg

up814_dvl.jpg

2711b.jpg

4646488136_f21e655a23.jpg

They were mainly put on passenger locos since the effect of the ears only starts working at about 30-40 mph I believe. Extremely effective at 50-100 mph. :lol: Also it was just done for looks in some cases. For example, this Ontario Northland 2-8-2.
310.jpg

Back