The Realistic Photo Thread (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

• Thread starter ECGadget
  • 8,940 comments
NSX Concept '13, Mount Panorama

NSX Concept - Bathurst.jpg

FT-1, Mount Panorama

FT-1 - Bathurst.jpg

I thought I'd deconstruct one of my last set for those of you who are interested.

The below image was captured at three exposures. I can't remember what the camera was set to, but I generally bracket them so that the lowest exposure captures decent sky tones, the highest captures all of the shadow detail and the middle one is usually 0, but not always. I take those and combine them in Picturenaut (after converting them into tif images) and tweak the HDR image until it looks like I can edit it further - as long as all of the detail is there that you want that's the main thing. I tend to prefer subtle HDR shots personally.

I then took the image into Paint.NET (I'm doing all this on the cheap as you could probably guess). I add a couple of layers - one is a radial yellow to transparent gradient centered on the sun. I set the filter to this Reflect (I think) and on the second layer I do another radial gradient from white to black and set that to Color Dodge. I balance the layers to make sure it isn't bleached out and there we have it.

I admit there's not a lot of artistry in my images - I'm not creating anything new, I just fiddle about with the existing image until I think I've added something worthwhile to it. I appreciate a good un-edited image directly from GT, but think the editing process can bring about some individuality.

What is the paint chip on your Daytona Coupe and where can I find it!?!?!?!? I've been trying to find a red like that that will still keep the stripes white for so long!!!

Redline 3-coat on the Daytona, unfortunately I don't know where I got it from. Went through all my red cars but none of them had it except the Daytona, but I re-painted it. It is a solid colour, but looks more like a metallic.

If you want darker red with white stripes then Rosso Bordeaux (most Ferraris have).

Back