The Renault Alpine- official pics of the new A110

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 512 comments
When it's that hideous, I think so yeah.

I'm not particularly keen on the MINI or Fiat 500, but they're both retro reincarnations that sell by the bucketload.

And the correct answer to the question was "no". We don't need logical reasons to produce fun cars. Any company that wants to produce something fun and fast is more than welcome to regardless of whether it has any historical significance.

Liquid - no performance data yet. The Dezir was electric and this is likely to have a regular engine, so it's all up in the air.

I'm not particularly keen on the MINI or Fiat 500, but they're both retro reincarnations that sell by the bucketload.

And the correct answer to the question was "no". We don't need logical reasons to produce fun cars. Any company that wants to produce something fun and fast is more than welcome to regardless of whether it has any historical significance.

Everything has a reason to be made. In the case of fun cars, the reason behind them can be to A) make money, B) research, development, and new technology for future products, and C) brand image and marketing. It can even be D) complete waste of time and money, if they wanted. :lol:

Although that's beside the point. The point is that I don't care for their use of an old brand name just to create a stir in the press, when it doesn't appear to have any relevance to the original. At least with the Mini, Fiat 500 and Challenger, they tried to create some resemblance, in looks or functionality. (Charger, not as much, and I don't care for that either :lol:)

Just rambling as usual. :D

I can understand your point, but in fairness there's been very little resemblance to the original in any subsequent Alpine either. The A310 didn't look much like the A110, the A610 (/Renault GTA) only had a passing resemblance to the A310, and the Renault Spider (an Alpine in all but name - was designed and built by Alpine) looked nothing like any of them...

Your point just came across ever so slightly as "Oh god, another sports car?" :sly:

Very little is, but that shouldn't stop things being judged on their own merits.

Do we need logical reasons to produce fun cars now?...

We are not talking about producing fun cars. We are talking about bringing the Alpine back. If the point was producing fun cars, then they could have named the car any other name. But that's not the point, is it? It's the 50th anniversary of the Alpine, which is about the right time to bring it back, in my opinion. But if you ask me what car it is supposed to echo when you look at it, without showing me a pic of the original Alpine in the first place, I wouldn't be able to answer, as opposed to these cars:

dodge-challenger-05.jpg

SLS-AMG-leaked.jpg

250px-2006-2007_Volkswagen_New_Beetle.jpg

...which with no doubt remind me of the cars they were inspired by. Thus I'm not very pleased with this car.

...which with no doubt remind me of the cars they were inspired by. Thus I'm not very pleased with this car.

Let me make it clear - I'm not overly keen on it either. On the first page I showed that the standard Dezir would look better. Less busy, no need for all the scoops and spoilers.

However, I'm glad that Renault haven't simply plundered the past and created a look-alike. If people want a A110, then they should go out and buy an A110. If they want a brand new Alpine, then let's see what Renault can come up with to revive the name (regardless of whether it's a homage to the original).

Renault might not be everyone's cup of tea in general, but unlike many companies they certainly can't be considered lazy when it comes to design. Retro design - however well it's done, and there are some great examples (like the Challenger above) - is still a bit lazy. It's refreshing someone else's idea, rather than coming up with your own.

My point is. I don't know much (or care for alpines or renaults come to think of it) and when researching the car some facts where abit "and your point is?"

Note: other RR cars besides the Porsche.
Vw beetle
Vw samba bus
Delorean
Airel Atom
Tatra 77
Fiat 500. Must I go on?

P.s. it's a comment from a 14 year old. Calm down.

Last edited:
Leonidae@MFT
Ariel Atom is MR.. ;)

Ah. I thought it was RR. Never mind.

Ok now. Im going off-topic but calm the fudge down man. I only like the sound of the revival. The design (minus wing). The colour scheme (gulf). And the noise. This is a thing for the 50 not the a110. Just sayin.

Zenith013
How many of those cars on that list are sports cars? How many of those are any good?

I ask you this. Is the alpine any good? Are any cars any good? It's opinion.

Plus. You may say "oh but Le mans and rallying" but what was the competition? The deadly 911? The competition wasn't anything to shout about. Put it against a 300sl or cobra (Shelby) y'know.

Last edited:
Love the sound of that thing 👍 Very un-Renault (well, unless you're talking Grand Prix cars) but very cool.

calm the fudge down man

Might be worth taking your own advice.

Me, on the other hand? Absolutely fine. In fact, I'm finding it quite amusing that you're apparently getting worked up over nothing. You admit you know very little but still deem it somehow worthy of discussion. If you want to stew away over discussion on a discussion forum, that's your business.

I'm not sure why you brought up all the other RR cars though. The only reason I mentioned the 911 was because it was competing with the A110 in the early 1970s. Something none of the other cars you mentioned were doing...

And what relevance at all do the Cobra or 300SL have? None. If you want to debate the relative merits of completely unrelated cars, start your own thread on it somewhere. Another forum would be grand 👍

I love those downshifts...

Well this is a thread for the tribute. Not the original.

You called it a "meh coupe" using this justification

I know of its Motorsport success. Le mans and rallying. But, it isn't exactly beautiful to me, then again beautiful cars today are what I'm used to. 14 years experience y'know. And I've never really gave it a second thought. I prefer the angular a130. So to me "meh-coupe".

P.s- my judgement is time. It's moved on, and I mean c'mon. It's not as legendary as the lancia stratos.

And this...

Note: other RR cars besides the Porsche.
Vw beetle
Vw samba bus
Delorean
Airel Atom
Tatra 77
Fiat 500. Must I go on?

And this...

Plus. You may say "oh but Le mans and rallying" but what was the competition? The deadly 911? The competition wasn't anything to shout about. Put it against a 300sl or cobra (Shelby) y'know.

Moving on...
~~~~~~~~~
I ask you this. Is the alpine any good? Are any cars any good? It's opinion.

You described it as a "meh coupe" with seemingly no prior experience or knowledge of the merits of the car.

Those with a much higher authority than yourself would say yes, it is good and noteworthy (read: not "meh").

Even if it isn't any good, it's a notable car. That alone exempts it from your classification of a "meh coupe."

We're not arguing whether or not it is faster than a 300SL or Shelby Cobra. You called it a "meh coupe." Are all coupes that are slower than a Shelby Cobra or 300SL considered "meh"?

It's a good idea to have driven at least one car around a track before you make judgments...

Also, put some off-road tires on those three and see how it turns out...

Last edited:
That's probably the only V6 I've heard, which comes close to the sound of a V12 :drool:

Wait, it's a V6? Going on sound alone I assumed it was a small capacity V8. Very F1-like. Serves me right for not reading the blurb and just staring at the pics!

Zenith.
1. I'm not saying all coupes. I'm saying coupes from the 60's.
2. I knew plenty about the achievements but I'm saying it might be noteworthy but, y'know. Not legendary.
3. Not all coupes I regard as meh if they're slower than a 300sl or cobra. I for example love the ae86.
4. The cobra is faster in REAL WORLD conditions. No one would have the money to get a a110, turn it to a rally car and repair it every time it crashes(RR+dirt+normal driver=crash)
5. 300sl? Rally car. Game on
1955_Mercedes_300_SL_Coupe_rally.jpg

Doing some research this won 17 rally's in Japan beating the top 5
Stratos
A130
Nissan bluebird
Beetle
Mini cooper
All rally modded.

Indeed. Moving on.

The Alpine Renault A110 is a LEGENDARY CAR. I think kids nowadays don't understand that a car with less than 300 bhp can be legendary.

But this one is.

As this one is also. Btw, found this picture in a site called SUPERCARS.NET :D

940504.jpg

I know cars with less than 300bhp can be legends.
Mini cooper
Lotus Elise
Lancia stratos
Ferrari 250gto
BMW 2002 turbo
Bluebird
Audi Quattro
I think I prove my point, "kids" do know of -300bhp legends.

As said before. Times change though. People who grew up with the 110 think it's a legend. People who grew up with the enzo think it's a legend. I like my legends to be cool. The alpine, in my opinion, is NOT cool. It looks stupid. It has RR which although Porsche proved it can be epic, it took 40 years to perfect. So therefore it actually proves a disadvantage. The miura proved MR is better. The ae86 proved fr can be better. The Quattro proved 4wd is better. What's proved RR is better at the time? The 911 was a death trap and the delorean. Nuff said. Moving on.

Last edited:
DeLorean never had enough power to be a death trap. That PRV powerplant guaranteed that you didn't go anywhere in a hurry. :lol:

Again. You did not say that the Alpine is not legendary. You said that it is a "meh coupe." Attempting to change your statement after the fact (with equally wrong arguments) does not work.

Your arguments have been either irrelevant, fallacious, or both. For the discussion about the Alpine being a "meh coupe," I'll be "moving on."

That's probably the only V6 I've heard, which comes close to the sound of a V12 :drool:

I immediately assumed it was a V6, being a Renault. But it really did have me guessing when I listened to it, it could easily be a V12. It's quite special, they've put some effort into that sound. I imagine it's got an "x-pipe" or, better, a proper merge like Ferrari introduced on its F355, fed by equal-length secondaries. But there's a good deal of tone control gone into it, or they were just very lucky.

I've heard 350Zs use a similar set-up, and the FTO came close to doing it from the factory, too. Also, a V12 isn't guaranteed to howl for the same reason a straight six isn't...

EDIT: (from Jalopnik)
xlarge.jpg

X-pipe it is (bottom-right), with little in the way of silencing. Either those pipe lengths are tuned to perfection, or they were just lucky! :P
The intake is unusual looking, I wonder if that's why it sounds unusual, too.

Last edited:
That noise is awesome!, i know it's a V6 but it reminds me (a bit) of this V10 ever-so slightly, Renault do great sounds:

Latest Posts

Back