The Renault Alpine- official pics of the new A110

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 512 comments
:lol: We now have a V6 that sounds like a V8, a V10 and a V12. I think we can all agree that it sounds very much like a race car...

246546_434551183236742_100000455917189_1439521_1852631842_n.jpg

Edited on snapspeed.

Although that's beside the point. The point is that I don't care for their use of an old brand name just to create a stir in the press, when it doesn't appear to have any relevance to the original. At least with the Mini, Fiat 500 and Challenger, they tried to create some resemblance, in looks or functionality. (Charger, not as much, and I don't care for that either :lol:)

I can understand your point, but in fairness there's been very little resemblance to the original in any subsequent Alpine either. The A310 didn't look much like the A110, the A610 (/Renault GTA) only had a passing resemblance to the A310, and the Renault Spider (an Alpine in all but name - was designed and built by Alpine) looked nothing like any of them...

Only the first generations of Alpine cars share a resemblance, an evolution that ended with the A110, the A310 broke that trend by being completely different in styling, so yes it theoretically could look like anything and still convincingly be called an Alpine if it's made of plastic and uses Renault parts.
But obviously they had to use some subtle retro cues to reintroduce this brand to make a connection, yet it doesn't look retro or pastiche to me like a Fiat 500, Beetle or Mini does.
It looks more like the Mercedes SLS in approach, take some elements of the original and transform them into a modern shape.

When relaunching a dead brand you can take several approaches, either you start from where the brand left off and take it from there (basically retro with modern mechanics), or you decide a certain direction and mould key design cues around it (like Bugatti and Spyker, I doubt both companies would build these supercars if they had continued without pause) or you imagine what route or evolution a company had gone through if it hadn't been discontinued.

I kinda like this new Alpine (imagine a roadversion without the rear spoiler and skirts and in a more mature colour scheme, silver-ish or dark grey), to me it looks convincingly like something Alpine could've produced without it being a literal translation like a Fiat 500 or Mini.
I can see it pitched against the upcoming Alfa 4C or Lotus Exige, and simply calling it a Renault wouldn't cut it anymore in these days of brand snobbery.

I think this monstrous super-car has nothing to do with the super-simple, effective lightweight Alpine coupe. A car that redefined rallying, and brought out the Stratos, it's counter-weapon.

I'm sorry because this video has music but, in this case ... it adds to the images (and amateur Super8 cams didn't capture sound anyway). It's a bit OT because it isn't a Alpine "tribute". But it's nice, it captures the car in the environment of its era.

Amazing times for rallying, the early 70s (and notice the head of the FIA in the 240Z too :P )

Renault To Partner With Caterham On Alpine Revival, Not Lotus

Despite previous claims Renault-Nissan was in talks with Lotus to develop a sports car to spearhead the revival of the Renault Alpine performance marque, a new model thought to also spawn a production version of the Emerg-E concept car for Infiniti, it now appears fellow British performance brand Caterham could be the one Renault-Nissan execs turn to.

The information was first reported by Sky News, which claims the boss of Caterham, Malaysian entrepreneur Tony Fernandes, is close to signing a deal with Renault-Nissan for the development and production of the new sports car. The deal is estimated to be valued at close to $400 million.

Under the alleged deal, a 50-50 joint venture would be formed and unique versions of the sports car would be sold under the Caterham and Renault Alpine names. There was no mention if Infiniti would get its own version.
Motor Authority

It's Official Renault Partners With Caterham to Built Alpine Sport Car

At a press conference in Paris this morning, French automaker Renault announced a new partnership with Caterham, the British sports car brand and Formula One constructor. The partnership will see a 50:50 joint venture created, which will be responsible for the development of new sports cars, one of which will be sold by Renault under a revived Alpine brand.

Caterham will get its own version of the Alpine sports car, though the parties involve stress that the models created by the joint venture, whose full name is Société des Automobiles Alpine Caterham (SAAC), will be distinctive, differentiated, and carry the respective DNA of the Alpine and Caterham brands.

Renault and Caterham are looking to combine their skills to build models in both high and low volumes, suggesting several new models could eventually be developed. The current objective is for Renault and Caterham to each launch a sports car within the next three to four years.
MotorAuthority.com

I was about to open a thread to discuss this but maybe the OP could change the name of this one so people know what's being talked about now.

I guess what this all means is that the "Monster-Supercar" featured in previous posts is now definitely ... history. If Alpine-Caterham are going to build a car that will have a "Caterham" version and a "Alpine" version (depending on which side of the channel it originates from) it will surely be a more or less pure and spartan road racer, because that's the Caterham and also the Alpine Renault tradition. Maybe not as extreme as the current Caterham, but a "track day" car nonetheless.

Anyway we know litle. Here an interesting piece from Motor_Sport Magazine

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/road-cars/opinions/renault-team-up-with-caterham/

I have to say that stripping the V6 which was one of the big reasons everyone went nuts over the thing and throwing a 4 cylinder in there instead seems to be missing the point a bit.

Yeah yeah yeah, closer to the roots and whatever, but I'd still rather have that insane sounding revvy six than another turbo 4 cylinder with a diesel torque curve. Perhaps not as much as an injustice as killing the VR6 in the top level Golf, but still sad.

A Malaysian named Tony?

:lol:

I have to say that stripping the V6 which was one of the big reasons everyone went nuts over the thing and throwing a 4 cylinder in there instead seems to be missing the point a bit.

Yeah yeah yeah, closer to the roots and whatever, but I'd still rather have that insane sounding revvy six than another turbo 4 cylinder with a diesel torque curve. Perhaps not as much as an injustice as killing the VR6 in the top level Golf, but still sad.

:lol:

It's a bit of Jaguar XJ220 syndrome all over again. Except, in the case of the XJ, the 6R4 V6 was a true masterpiece in it's original home, the Metro 6R4. This is totally off topic, but I want to add to the thread because it contains a screaming V6.

Probably my all-time favorite rally car. 10,500rpm!!

Renault marketing boss Stephen Norman confirmed that the car would not take four years to appear, as had been speculated. He also hinted at the sort of character the car would have, describing it as “not soft”.

“It won’t be more hardcore than a Mazda MX-5,” he said. “What we do will not be soft, but not hardcore like a Peugeot 106 Rallye. You can’t betray the DNA of Alpine. That’s a third of what the car will be."

Norman described that DNA as French and not German. “It must be light and look different, and have a touch of French dash,” he said. “It’s not a car for dandies, though. We know who the buyer is: he’s either French or a Francophile. And the car has technical innovation as part of its DNA.”

The new Alpine will be a clean-sheet design and create a rival for the Porsche Boxster and high-performance versions of the Audi TT. It will be priced at less than £50,000 and will use a Renault engine with around 250bhp.

AutoCar

Last edited:
Oh goody. Flatulent sounding 4 cylinder for everyone. And then the world collectively sighed, except for Porsche, who went back to laughing.

While I like the sound of that, there's a few figures I'd want to change.

The main one is the price. If "less than £50,000" winds up being "£49,995" then it's too much, even if it turns out to be a great car.

Considering the Alfa Romeo 4C is going to be similar power (250-300hp) and very light, yet cost somewhere between £30k-£40k, it strikes me as being a little foolish to position the Renault too high up. Unless it's going to be that bespoke and such limited-production that they easily find enough people to fill an order book.

I also hope "won't be more hardcore than an MX-5" is code for "roughly as simple and uncomplicated, but better quality" too. The MX-5 is a bit rough around the edges by modern standards but in terms of the basic stuff like equipment and simple design it's pretty much bang-on. Ditto the GT-86. An Alpine with a slightly higher-quality feel but a simple cabin (think Porsche Cayman R, rather than BMW Z4) would be perfect.

Oh goody. Flatulent sounding 4 cylinder for everyone. And then the world collectively sighed, except for Porsche, who went back to laughing.

Those engines do sound better in real life than they do in video (who is it on GTP who owns a Megane RS? I'm sure he'll confirm!). Video seems to get across all of the "ripping paper" induction sound but none of the drama. So it won't be that bad, hopefully.

So it appears Alpine will be back at Le Mans this year according to Evo Magazine.

car_photo_564862_25.jpg

French sports car manufacturer Alpine, has announced that it will be making a return to the endurance racing spotlight in 2013, ahead of the new joint sportscar project with Caterham, which is planned to go on sale by 2016.

The Renault-owned company recently ran a number of original Alpine A110s in the Rallye Monte Carlo, celebrating the car’s unrivalled success in the event 40 years ago, as well as the 50th anniversary of the first production Alpine A110s.

This year, Alpine will be entering a new prototype racer in the European Le Mans Series which will also include an entry in the Le Mans 24 Hours race on 22-23 June – the first time the company has entered the famous race since 1978.

Forming the basis for the LMP2 racer will be an Alpine chassis, which will be powered by a 500bhp Nissan engine. Signatech, a French race team owned by experienced team manager Philippe Sinault, will run the car.

So far two drivers have been announced – Pierre Ragues and Nelson Panciatici – with a third driver to be revealed on 24 March when the car is officially unveiled.

It's been a while.

Renault-Alpine-A442B_8.jpg

Very strange .
As cool as it is having Renault and Nissan in Le Mans,
Im kinda divded with the whole "bringing The Alpine name back" thing.
Is it just a Renault with a Nissan engine like it seem's it is or is there a team of specific people running the Alpine program?
also i hope there still planning on that Alpine supercar because that was a cool car even though it also seems like a Renault with Nissan engine :irked:

Alpine and the Alfa (4C) will together create a new, big-name, sub-supercar class of driver's cars intended to appeal both to well heeled traditionalists and younger driving enthusiasts.

Styling is "about 70 per cent done", Tavares says. The shape will combine cues from the much-loved A110 (four round headlights, arrowhead nose, low roofline, side scoops, wide rear deck) with proportions and elements that emphasise its modernity. Striking the right balance is one of the major challenges, he says.

Tavares is tight-lipped about the mechanical details of the car, but just before the new Alpine endurance race car took to the track for the first time at Silverstone, he told Autocar that it would be a two-seat coupé weighing about 1000kg, costing around £50,000 and with about 280bhp on tap. Volume would be "a few thousand" per year.

"We have time to discuss and decide," says Tavares. "The production car is about three years away, but about a year before that we will probably show a concept. In the meantime, we will find other ways to feed the brand."

Autocar

Renault-Alpine/Caterham sports cars delayed due to style redesign

The design of the Alpine sports car is being revised following a mixed reception from potential customers, amid reports of creative tensions between Renault and Caterham.

The two firms are jointly developing the car for their own individual projects, and will each launch their own distinct version.

Autocar understands that a styling mule of the proposed Porsche Cayman-rivalling Alpine was shown at a secret customer clinic, but that feedback was, at best, mixed.

As a result, Renault bosses have ordered a rethink, putting the entire project back to a late 2016 launch at the earliest – around a year behind the anticipated schedule.

Renault’s decision is understood to have a knock-on effect for Caterham. The British firm had signed off its final design some months ago, but is now awaiting Renault’s new direction for the car, as its bodywork will have to maintain the same dimensions and fixing points as those set for the Alpine.

As part of the joint venture, both cars will be launched at the same time, although there remains a likelihood they will run the Renault-sourced powertrain in different states of tune. The Alpine has been tipped to get 250bhp, with Caterham said to be chasing nearer 300bhp. The target kerb weight is 1100kg.

Caterham Group CEO Graham Macdonald declined to comment on specifics of the joint venture, but admitted the project had fallen behind schedule and that there are creative tensions between the partners

“There are ongoing frustrations on both sides, but we knew there would be challenges from the start,” he said. “It was never going to be easy: we are a small, agile company and they are a large, corporate firm. That’s causing frustrations for us and, I’m sure, for them.”

Autocar

Franco-Anglo relations are never easy. I'm anxious to see the return of a French sports car though. I can't even recall the last time there was one.

Back