The Rich Energy Sponsorship Saga

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by TenEightyOne, Jul 18, 2019.

1. EngieDiesel

EngieDiesel

Given that he's thoroughly poisoned the well of motorsports sponsorship and seems willing to torpedo the whole brand rather than let someone else step in for damage control, "problem" is putting it lightly.

2. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

It could be worse. They could have Kevin Magnussen as a driver hitting his teammate each race.
    Sorry for quoting an old post but the stor(e)y I had heard was that the Williams contract was all done bar the signatures. Cpt. Beard had been a guest with the team at the USGP last year but didn't show up to the dinner where the contract was due to be signed, instead he went to Haas and finalised a cheaper deal with them. Williams dodged a bullet but not by choice.

3. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Rubbish, teams will always need money and there'll always be sponsors of varying quality. I don't see that this changes anything apart from whatever cautionary tales spring from the saga once the facts are actually known.

All we do really know at the moment is that Storey is quite mad and that he paid his first large bill to Haas.

4. Northstar

Northstar Premium

Does anybody have an update on this? It seems all the "interesting" tweets have been deleted and the feed is back to what you would expect from a company (in other words, boring).

TenEightyOne likes this.
  5. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

There's surely some litigation afoot, it might be that everybody (mainly Storey) has wound their necks in anticipation of their public statements forming a file of evidence. I see that Rich Energy remain on the Haas cars so from the Haas team's point of view a contract remains in place for them to provide car advertising space. Whether or not the remnants of Rich Energy (possibly without its IP) can afford to pay their next contracted installment is something that we'll probably find out from court proceedings :)

Northstar likes this.
  6. Kingofweasles

Kingofweasles

Has their been an official unveiling of a new "Lightning Volt" logo yet?

7. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Not yet, although there are some great spoof accounts on Twitter. It's interesting that Lightning Volt don't appear to be a different company from Rich Energy, they're the same one. Therefore the contract to show the Rich Energy logo supplied to Haas still stands, whether Storey thinks he/somebody will honour it or not. It raises a lot of questions about what the Rich Energy board are the board of.

As I said to @Northstar I suspect we won't find out a lot of further detail until they all get in front of a judge.

8. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

fortbo, NotThePrez, Carbon_6 and 3 others like this.
  9. Liquid

Liquid Premium

And nothing of value was lost.

fortbo, DK, AMPMROCKETFANN and 2 others like this.
  10. Ether

Ether

Except some mild comedic value :sly:

Might be time to ring Lotus and ask if they'd like to slap a logo on the car for the rest of the season since the brand identity is all there :p

11. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Or Whyte Bikes, the logo stickers are the same :D

Kingofweasles likes this.
  12. Ether

Ether

That'd be one hell of a slap in the face to Rich Energy :lol:

I don't know the exact amount Whyte bikes may have won in that lawsuit (if anything), but imagine if they actually used their winnings to pay Haas for sponsorship until year's end :lol: That would make my year.