The Rich Energy Sponsorship Saga

It's the lone-wolf CEO (or ex CEO, or ex employee, or whatever Storey is now) that's the problem.
Given that he's thoroughly poisoned the well of motorsports sponsorship and seems willing to torpedo the whole brand rather than let someone else step in for damage control, "problem" is putting it lightly.

As a fan of Haas, I wish they didn’t even get mixed up with these clowns.
It could be worse. They could have Kevin Magnussen as a driver hitting his teammate each race.
Williams even turned these guys down and heaven knows they need the money.
Sorry for quoting an old post but the stor(e)y I had heard was that the Williams contract was all done bar the signatures. Cpt. Beard had been a guest with the team at the USGP last year but didn't show up to the dinner where the contract was due to be signed, instead he went to Haas and finalised a cheaper deal with them. Williams dodged a bullet but not by choice.

Given that he's thoroughly poisoned the well of motorsports sponsorship

Rubbish, teams will always need money and there'll always be sponsors of varying quality. I don't see that this changes anything apart from whatever cautionary tales spring from the saga once the facts are actually known.

All we do really know at the moment is that Storey is quite mad and that he paid his first large bill to Haas.

Does anybody have an update on this? It seems all the "interesting" tweets have been deleted and the feed is back to what you would expect from a company (in other words, boring).

Does anybody have an update on this? It seems all the "interesting" tweets have been deleted and the feed is back to what you would expect from a company (in other words, boring).

There's surely some litigation afoot, it might be that everybody (mainly Storey) has wound their necks in anticipation of their public statements forming a file of evidence. I see that Rich Energy remain on the Haas cars so from the Haas team's point of view a contract remains in place for them to provide car advertising space. Whether or not the remnants of Rich Energy (possibly without its IP) can afford to pay their next contracted installment is something that we'll probably find out from court proceedings :)

Has their been an official unveiling of a new "Lightning Volt" logo yet?

Not yet, although there are some great spoof accounts on Twitter. It's interesting that Lightning Volt don't appear to be a different company from Rich Energy, they're the same one. Therefore the contract to show the Rich Energy logo supplied to Haas still stands, whether Storey thinks he/somebody will honour it or not. It raises a lot of questions about what the Rich Energy board are the board of.

As I said to @Northstar I suspect we won't find out a lot of further detail until they all get in front of a judge.

And nothing of value was lost.

Except some mild comedic value :sly:

Might be time to ring Lotus and ask if they'd like to slap a logo on the car for the rest of the season since the brand identity is all there :P

I'm coining the phrase "Rich Marketing" if this keeps up...

Rich Marketing - Def. - Claiming association to garner attention where no such association exists.

I'm coining the phrase "Rich Marketing" if this keeps up...

Rich Marketing - Def. - Claiming association to garner attention where no such association exists.

I think we might already say "well that's rich".

Yep, but now it would be "Well, that's Rich..." with a capital R. It's all in the details man!

PS: In a related note...I used to have a roommate at the academy who was a young arrogant kid. He was...short a few brain cells. He only made it to the probationary period of our employment, but his name was St. Hilaire. His attempts at jokes were so utterly garbage that any poor joke was referred to as being "St. Hilaire-ious...".

His attempts at jokes were so utterly garbage that any poor joke was referred to as being "St. Hilaire-ious...".

This gave me a good chuckle :lol: How fitting. In a similar vein, among my friends, my own first name is also used an adjective to describe things only I would ever mess up...but I digress a bit from the topic of this forum.

The saga continues - Part 2.... :odd:
https://www.motorsport.com/bike/news/rich-energy-omg-racing-sponsorship/4685675/

omg-racing-bmw-1.jpg

It really is weird. There was no suggestion in the end that the money wasn't there, the Haas relationship fell apart due to the Rich Energy board/ownership going into some kind of mad meltdown. Hopefully this works out well for OMG, and I have to say that bike looks stunning!

As others have suggested, the capital does not likely lie within Rich Energy at all, but rather within a select group of investors who use Rich Energy as a sort of front to fund racing interests. It's a bit back-assward from a RIO standpoint, but I hope their season goes on without any hick-ups like we saw with Haas.

Seems William is an anti-masker as well, just to add to the :censored:Pile. At this point I don't feel bad for any company/person this guy screws over as he is a very known quantity at this point.

I'll give him credit though, he knows how to play the internet attention game.

Last edited:
So an "ally" has bought a major stake in an F1 team, Rich Energy will take over the branding from 2022. That's according to PlanetF1, at least.

This, Mazepin, the slow superbowlification of the sport in general, sprint qualifying... what a year 2021 could be for F1.
And then the new regulations come in the year after and everything will get turned on its head again. We really are living in interesting times.

Seems William is an anti-masker as well, just to add to the :censored:Pile. At this point I don't feel bad for any company/person this guy screws over as he is a very known quantity at this point.

I'll give him credit though, he knows how to play the internet attention game.

Man, his Twitter feed is a big yikes. Wonder if the FIA or a driver/team will eventually have a remark about it.

Back